Interview with the two boys has been cancelled

I used to transcribe the forensic child interviews for a local child abuse prevention and intervention program.

The interviewer in that clip was asking leading questions and presenting scenarios when she wasn't supposed to do that, nor is she supposed to challenge the child on what is the truth or not.

Typically, the interviewer most often she starts with asking the child about him or herself, what they like to do, favorite TV shows, what they like (or dislike) about school, their friends, etc. They then segue into asking the child to describe what happened during [kidnapping, abuse, etc] in their own words and the child is allowed to do so uninterrupted. After that the interviewer will ask clarifying questions trying to get more details and determine consistency. If a child has been coached or, sometimes in the case of older teens, lying, this will come out.

The interviewer isn't supposed to put words in a child's mouth - that can ruin the child as a potential witness - and if the child starts crying and retreats into repeating things like "I don't know" the interview ends or the child is given a break.

That interviewer grossly overstepped her bounds and was pushing that child too far.

Thank you for that. I was hoping that this lady was just way out of line. I was hoping that she was in the minority.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6207937
Warning-- this is very disturbing!!

Maybe this is what scares them. It scared me. I would hate for my kids to be put through something like it. I know not all interviews are like this, but I would venture to guess this little boy's parents thought it would be good for him to be interviewed. This is just food for thought. I respect your opinions on this matter. :twocents:

Justa - this boy is the son of Kevin Fox. Kevin was the father of a three year old girl (Riley) who was raped and murdered. LE decided that HE had done it, and interrogated him, using the same techniques tried on DB and JI (according to them). Kevin confessed - thinking that he could straighten it all out afterwards. NOPE. He was tossed in jail for 8 months (as a baby raper - you know what that means...). His incredible lawyer was able to get him released and cleared by DNA evidence that LE stopped processing after he confessed. Eventually Kevin was actually PROVEN innocent (not just "cleared" or no longer a suspect) when it turned out that LE overlooked many obvious clues, and they found the real killer.

That is just a capsule of the case, but go Google it. It is absolutely incredible, and it is exactly why a lot of people say that the first thing they would do is get a lawyer - even if innocent.

BTW: This tape of his son was a voluntary interview approved by the parents, which is why a lot of people would NOT allow LE to interview their children. Ever.

Oh, and this post is not meant to be responded to - just to guide anyone who is curious to look up the case and decide for themselves. TIA :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back