Is Joseph Paul Franklin the Zodiac Killer?

On an MSNBC episode of Criminal Mindscape in which they featured Joseph Paul Franklin he refers to hunting his victims as "wild game".

See the MSNBC episode in which Joseph Paul Franklin is interviewed and you will see he does say hunting like wild game.

The Zodiac used this phrase as well in one of his ciphers.

I just wanted to post that not only did Franklin on several occasions refer to killing people as hunting but he also at one point referred to them as "wild game". I know many will say that is just coincidence but I recently found out also that he was into both astronomical signs as well as numerology amongst other strange beliefs besides Christian Identity which is where I believe the "slaves in paradise" comes from.
As a side note has anyone had a chance to check out my solution to the name cipher on the mega thread and thoughts on that?
I have noticed some very peculiar observations linking the 408, the 340, as well as the name cipher. There is a numerical connection between them all was wondering if anyone else sees them?
Some of the observations I'll keep under wraps for now, but I will say that if you look at the Z32 you can see somewhat "Frank" or "Franklin" almost spelled backwards on the first line. Almost like in the last line of the Z340 at the end of the undeciphered you can almost see a "Zodiac" spelling of sorts there.

The three symbols become two 8's

I think these came about much later than 1969. David Lane wrote the 14 words sometime in the late seventies or early eighties, if memory serves. Joseph Paul Franklin seems like he was very unbalanced and not as organized as Zodiac.

In my view, the predominant attribute of Zodiac is that he veers between lucidity and almost whimsical absurdism. I would look for someone who had a head injury who regularly used marijuana.

I cannot find any evidence that indeed the 14 words were earlier than around 1980 or around there but I am suspicious of his use of the 14. Thanks for the comment.

Franklin is the Zodiac: Cipher Key Initials

There are clues in the actual cipher keys in regards to Joseph Paul Franklin as the Zodiac and wanted to write about these clues.

Before we begin to look at his initials lets go over his names. He first had a birth name:

Birth Name: James Clayton Vaughn Jr

Assumed Name: Joseph Paul Franklin

( Look up the Z408 Cipher Key)
Zodiac Killer Cipher Key & Frequencies Z 408 Cryptogram

In the 408 we can see the F and J are together J = F : Joseph Franklin

The S = FK

Backward “C” = V : Clayton Vaughn

Interesting note: The T = LHI(circle symbol) it almost spells Hitler, but not quite.

Now lets look at the 340 or Z340 Cipher Key:

The Solution of the Zodiac Killer’s 340-Character Cipher—Wolfram Blog

In the 340 key we can see that F= F

The lack of J’s in both cipher keys is noteable in my opinion.

Look at the “S” and still we see that the initials for Joseph Paul or JP = S

Notice these are just in the actual cipher keys themselves his initials are scattered throughout the ciphers themselves I can get to that later though.

Just a comment on the wing walker boots. The boots are thought to have steel toes but that is according to wikipedia, if anyone knows exactly how they are constructed please comment below, but they are not the standard boot for most military personnel.
However, as I was thinking about the possibility that they have steel toes, my suspicion is that he wore them in case of a hand to hand fight in case either of the victims were to make a rush for his weapon.
The wing walker boot is quite interesting since not only were they not standard issue to everyone only in specialized professions in the military but it would make more sense not to wear a boot there in case he had to make a quick getaway or run away.
Also, the American Nazi Party at that time had a "uniform" does anyone by chance know what their choice of boot was??? I know in later years it was/is steel toe boots, but not sure what their boot of choice would be at that time though. I could not find anything although you can clearly see the American Nazi Party at that time had uniforms, I'm guessing some of their items were taken from military surplus.

I just wanted to point out that the two unexplained patterns you see in the video from Lets Crack Zodiac Episode 9 "Odds and Ends" if you go to time 7:11 you will see that there are these unexplained patterns that seem on the surface to not be random.

The initials for James Clayton Vaughn Jr are there, so you can interpret it as two "J's" and in the first "J" you can see the letters JR inside, James Jr?

In the second you see the backward "C" then V perhaps for Clayton Vaughn?

Initials340.png

I believe that these two patterns are indicating his birth name James Vaughn Jr. Notice that the "J's" are connected by two dots that are decoded into "V's". JVJ

There are at least two triple + signs in the 340 each + corresponds to an "H" so since H is the 8th letter of the alphabet this could seem to indicate 888. Franklin I know on at least one occasion used 8808 as a fake address, numbers did mean things to Franklin and I see 888 in the 408 as three separate sections mailed each containing 8 lines.

He used social security numbers beginning with 420 = Hitlers birthday = also happens to be the date the Z13 was mailed. Not sure if all social security numbers used began with 420 just the ones I found.

Other things of note:

You can almost make out "VAUGHN" more like NAUGHN or something NAHUGN on the 8th line of the decoded message but not yet set in order just transcribed as is.

The 340 starts and ends with an "H" first an H then a + sign.

Some other thoughts on Franklin, I just wanted to put out there in response to Hoopsticks about a timeline I thought I'd copy and paste this here for some more thoughts on the way he operated. I put this here because it highlights how difficult it will be to catch or prove he was in California, I think he may have had way to many cars, aliases, and Id's. As of now, no I can't place him in California during the time of the murders. The following is a response to a question about timeline I wrote the other day:

So, from what I can gather its possible he was there for the Dec 20, 1968 killing, I can have him in Alabama in February to get married I believe.

His ex wife said at this time he was fully radicalized within Nazism, by this time and other accounts have him fully into Nazism around this time or earlier. By his own account he admitted to thinking about killing at the age of 17.

Not sure of his whereabouts until late August, so in theory he could have been in California July 4 through the month of July.

He leaves at the end of August 69 from Alabama to drive with two others to Virginia to a Nazi Rally in the first days of September. Not sure where he went after that rally, but he rode with David Duke and another notable member of the white supremacist movement.

When he was picked up for this drive to the Nazi rally he was noted as talking like a hippie, which is not exactly evidence but does make one wonder. I used to live in the south and someone from Mobile wouldn't have picked up slang from San Francisco there in Alabama.

I believe it is Franklin but if he were to conduct his excursions into California anything like he did the three years we know for certain he killed 22 people I don't think you will ever catch him or prove he was in California unless by some miracle. Within that three years he had about 30 to 35 known aliases and used different cars, murder weapons, and ID's. Never stayed in the same motel for over a week, almost impossible to catch even in the late 70's. Even at 18 I believe he would have been too elusive to prove he was there. No way he would have left any trace of himself with respect to hotels, cars, or guns. Franklin changed murder weapons after about every crime, never bought from a gun store either always at private sales.

If I had to take a stab at how he did it, I would say there was a good chance he did stay at a local motel or hotel there in Vallejo or nearby as he did in his later crimes, commit the crime and read the paper about what he did. Of course staying at a hotel under and assumed name and different id. Ditched the murder weapon somehow, changed cars even, might have even had multiple plates for the cars he used to go back to Alabama. I could never find out what car he did drive at 18 so that would be interesting if I can ever find out.

Franklin robbed banks at least in later years to fund his killing sprees, so I can't help but wonder how he would have funded something like that at 18. I don't know, I'm just pointing out that I believe it was Franklin not only was he capable I believe he had the mentality at 18 to do this.

If you play around with the letters of the Z13 they almost form the letters for Mein Kampf. (Yes, I know this is anagramming, but hear me out)

If you use ADOLF HITLER as a keyword the A's should come out in the correct place as predicted in the 1st and 12th place.

Mein KampfZ13My solution includes
MM
EE
II as the middle 8
NN
KK
AA
MM
PP as the crosshairs
F

April 20 the date in which it was mailed is Hitlers Birthday as well.

Circle and crosshairs -- used by radicals/nazis etc....

Triple 8's = the double 8's or 88 is used by white supremacists but not sure what the triple 8's mean I know that Franklin used that number as a fake address on at least one occasion, so I assume it does mean something.

Other observations on Mein Kampf as inspiration:

If you add up 408 and 340 they almost come to the number of pages in Mein Kampf, I am not familiar with all the versions but I think plust or minus a few pages is what they add up to when you add the numbers 408 and 340 together.

The original publication of the English Version of Mein Kampf was October 13, 1933. The same date that the Stine letter was sent (October 13).

Also of note: 408 is the area code of San Jose as well, which I am not sure if area code means anything but I tried seeing where the area code of the 340 leads, it wasn't in California, so I don't think this avenue goes anywhere.

So, while trying to research unsolved bank robberies in 1968 I came across this training video for the FBI in reference to bank robberies. I was struck by some similarities in the "costumes" used by some of these guys and the Zodiac.

Joseph Paul Franklin was known to have supported his killing spree by bank robberies as well as other various groups such as one named "The Order" in which they committed bank robberies to support themselves as well as the idea that bank money is not their money. That is another conversatation altogether though.

In the following video you see one man wearing a "cross" on his chest not sure if this is a costume or he meant for this large cross to be on his chest but take a look:

BR.1.png

I am not sure when the above bank robbery took place as the training video is from 1968, so not sure when this picture was taken. In the video the man is wearing a mask as well.

The below shot is another one from the same video:

BR.2.png

Please comment if you find any unsolved bank robberies around that time am interested.

Video: Throwback: 1968 'Bank Robberies'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back