Found Deceased Italy - John Durkin, 21, Rome, 19 February 2014

What is his major? What are his interests? How far was it from the bar to his lodging?

And why Bates? After a $35K plus per year high school, I would have expected a more prestigious university. Did he choose Bates to be able to play football?

Are any other students from Bates or other colleges on the trip missing?

Not much visible on the fb page. But it appears he does love football, so my guess is that was a big reason he is at Bates.

Football season ended a few months ago, but I'm sure he's still in shape. He's gotta be a strong guy and not easily messed with.

The river is only a few blocks from the bar he was at. Any one know which way he was headed?

I agree that it's not about the Durkins. I just posted they appear to have the means to be able to travel to Italy to aid in the search. Many families wouldn't have a passport, let alone $2K to jump on a last minute flight.

I hope his found safe.
Completely agree, sorry if I came off wrong, didn't mean to…was typing late and tired. Totally agree, Thank God they can!!!

Have to wonder if he may have been slipped something in a drink, its been known to happen. It would make sense where he left his belongings behind. This is a big kid…

Unfortunately we have enough of these cases that we know how it usually ends. Guy goes out to bar with friends, by end of evening they're separated for whatever reason, and guy disappears, usually found deceased later. :sigh:

Young people, if you're going out drinking, partying, bar hopping, whatever - stay together. Don't let one wander off alone or walk home alone, whatever. Even if they don't look drunk. Sometimes when drinking the buzz or drunk takes a bit to hit you. And either way, some folks just hide it well. Always stay together!!

Have to wonder if he may have been slipped something in a drink, its been known to happen. It would make sense where he left his belongings behind. This is a big kid…

Scary stuff right there. Let's hope this is not the case. Not a good sign if his phone and personal belongings were left at the bar. Wonder if there was some sort of altercation over a female? Let's hope he is found very safe very soon.:please:

Has anybody seen an Italian version of the missing poster? I'd like to send to relatives to share on Facebook.

I am extremely concerned based on what we all know of past cases where a young man has gone missing after separating from his friends during a night out at the bar. The nearby river someone mentioned above is also very concerning.

With John being such a big, strong young man it would be much easier for a predator to physically abduct a smaller person. Although, a knife held at one's back could probably gain their compliance pretty easily. Another way he could have been lured away from the bar and then later attacked or taken advantage of is if a male predator or predatory group used a pretty young female to lure him away from the bar with the promise of going home with her for the night. I unfortunately cannot remember specific names, but there is at least one date-rape drug that does not actually physically incapacitate you, but it makes you extremely compliant. If John was under the influence of something like that, or was being forced by knifepoint (which is probably not terribly difficult to go do unnoticed in public) then I could understand how all of his personal belongings were left behind.

When they say that John is in Rome for the semester.. sounds to me like maybe he has only been there about a month (if the semesters are similar to American Universities' semesters)? I wonder if it is possible he got lost while trying to walk home and ended up in a dangerous situation quite far from the bar?

So many questions.

It's getting so that when I see a young male is missing, the first thing I do is look at a map for any water nearby. :(

I am extremely concerned based on what we all know of past cases where a young man has gone missing after separating from his friends during a night out at the bar. The nearby river someone mentioned above is also very concerning.

With John being such a big, strong young man it would be much easier for a predator to physically abduct a smaller person. Although, a knife held at one's back could probably gain their compliance pretty easily. Another way he could have been lured away from the bar and then later attacked or taken advantage of is if a male predator or predatory group used a pretty young female to lure him away from the bar with the promise of going home with her for the night. I unfortunately cannot remember specific names, but there is at least one date-rape drug that does not actually physically incapacitate you, but it makes you extremely compliant. If John was under the influence of something like that, or was being forced by knifepoint (which is probably not terribly difficult to go do unnoticed in public) then I could understand how all of his personal belongings were left behind.

When they say that John is in Rome for the semester.. sounds to me like maybe he has only been there about a month (if the semesters are similar to American Universities' semesters)? I wonder if it is possible he got lost while trying to walk home and ended up in a dangerous situation quite far from the bar?

So many questions.
I've been twice and yes, it is like a giant Boston in that it isn't 'city blocks' like an NYC. The transit system is confusing at best, maybe just moreso because of the language barriers. The thing is, if he did become lost it would NOT be difficult to find somebody that speaks English (if he was having trouble communicating). So for him to be gone for days seems unreasonable. I was also worried maybe he was slipped something and brought somewhere outside of Rome, that would be more difficult for him to navigate and more difficult for him to find somebody who speaks English. But just a few words would help him find his way back…

I fear this won't end well though and the likelier scenarios are the water or lured away and messed with by a predator (though shouldn't they have wanted his wallet, credit cards, etc?)

New post on the FB page says "It is with much sadness that the Durkin family informs you of the loss of John Nolen Durkin and thanks everyone for their support during the past few days."

Sad. Sad. Sad.

New post on the FB page says "It is with much sadness that the Durkin family informs you of the loss of John Nolen Durkin and thanks everyone for their support during the past few days."

Sad. Sad. Sad.

Very sad. RIP. I feel so bad for the family. I can't imagine losing a child.

So sad :(. Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and those poor kids that were there studying with him :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back