Jail/prison conditions & daily life for GMH?

I agree, MC D.

Dark shadows worked in a correctional facility for a number of years and only recently changed professions.

Lion

Dark Shadows!

Yay! I was waiting for you to come onto this thread - Your information is invaluable - especially so for us who have no knowlege. Thank you sooo much for sharing!

Thanks, Dark for your input! It does paint a clearer picture of his life behind bars for the moment. I hope he is miserable, but since he is such a loner anyway...I am not sure that he isn't glad to have the solitary life with 3 hots and a cot.

No one wants to think of Hilton as getting out of this mounting and horrific crime spree by suicide, but if by some remote chance it did happen...I take comfort in knowing he left his DNA in probably every crime scene he was responsible for. The DNA they have collected all thru the years can now be possibly matched to a person who before was off the grid.

All the questions have been answered except for snacks. :) Snacks are only for those inmates who have money - either sent to them or if they trade things from their food alotments or whatever. If he is in protective custody (he'd have to be) he can't trade with other inmates. If he has no one to send him money (I'd think he wouldn't) he doesn't have money for canteen, which is where snacks come from. Snacks, the good soap, deoderant and good toothpaste... stuff like that.

Anyone want to send him money so he can get some oreos? I think not.

Thanks. I see you're from Vermont though. Not rural Georgia. You said "where I worked"...that's past tense, how long ago did you used to work in corrections? Also, your initial post said that Hilton "IS wearing this-and-this, and he IS seeing a psych, etc", implying that you know those details as facts. Rather than stating that you think that "an inmate such as Hilton would probably be wearing such-and-such". etc.

With all due respect, is it possible that things might be different at the current time, in rural Georgia?

Just to clarify, this is not exactly East Bumble. Dawson county is just barely outside of metro Atlanta, and only 40 miles from downtown. I know nothing about jail conditions, but my guess is they are similar to many other metro counties.

http://www.dawsoncounty.org/

Hey all, been keeping up by reading here, but have been too busy to participate. This has hit so close to home (literally and figuratively) the mind just reels and I had to jump in.

I just want to reiterate what these posters have said, I know the popular view of the south is that we're all hay chewing illiterates, but like most folktales, this has no base in reality and it'd behoove people to actually get out of their own front yards before alerting everyone to their prejudice.

If it weren't for these "rural" southerners, this guy most likely would still be out killing.

Here's a link for the jail population in Dawson. GMH is in there with 160 others, and he's even listed in the current population:

http://www.dawsoncountysheriff.org/Inmates/ICURRENT.HTM

What an ugly man.

Anyone notice that he only weighed 145 lbs when he was booked? For a 5'10" man that's pretty damn emaciated. Wonder if that's due to his "nervous jittery personality", the huge amounts of Ritalin he is alleged to have been taking, lack of money for food, or just the adrenaline from a 3-month killing spree?

Dear Pure Maple Syrup,

The link shows everyone in the jail population, current population.
It shows men and women. It does not state the units that the inmates are in.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

While there are standards in place it's not safe to assume that every county detention center is the same as any other. That's just not true. Having had some experience which I will not go into a lot of details about, one facillity may be vastly different than another, due to budget, the people working iin the facility, the time of day, etc. Anyway, maybe a reporter will be able to interview him at some point. That would be interesting. :)

I want to thank all of my dearest posters for your support of me.

With all of my heart, I truly appreciate it.

All of my Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

DarkShadows, I admire your posts and your willingness to tell us of your experiences. As I've said, I haven't written here in a while, but I've read every post in this forum, and truly appreciate your wonderful spirit and attitude and your contribution here.

-Karole28

My very dearest Karole,:blowkiss:

Thank-you so very much for your post. It really means alot to me and I am honored to be in your company.

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

Can you imagine the outcry if the Dawson County Detention Center allowed Hilton to commit suicide right now? Or let another inmate kill him before he gives up the location of all the other victims?

With that in mind, it seems fair to assume that he is under both suicide watch and protective custody.

I have, thankfully, never been in or even at a jail, much less a rural Georgia one :eek: Can someone who is knowledgeable about such things post and share what his life is probably like in there? Is he, for instance, being allowed to watch the TV news? Read newspapers? Buy snacks?

Here is some information that may answer many of your questions. I'm not exactly sure why you decided to ask the membership of this forum these questions instead of taking the time to figure it out for yourself, but since we've already crossed that bridge, here's what I could find out:

Inmate Accounts/Commissary

Upon admission to the Detention Center all money in the possession of an inmate will be taken by the booking officer and a receipt will be given to the inmate. This money will be deposited into an account and credited to the inmate.

Inmates will be allowed to purchase beverages and snacks from the commissary as posted. Only items purchased from the commissary will be allowed in the housing area. All purchases are deducted from the inmate’s commissary account which is maintained by the detention center/ provided the inmate has funds in his/her account at the time the order is processed.

An inmate must be detained in the Dawson County Detention Center for a period of ten (10) days without money on their account before they will qualify for a welfare package. An inmate needing this must complete an Inmate Request Form indicating their need.

No commissary items from other facilities will be accepted into the Dawson County Detention Center.

If an inmate has already placed a commissary order and is released or transferred, the inmate or a family member will have five days to pick up the commissary. If the order is not picked up within five days, it will be disbursed to the indigent.

All monies in the form of cash, money order, or certified checks that an inmate had in his possession when booked into the facility will be credited to the inmate’s commissary account automatically.

No personal checks will be accepted from any person wishing to deposit money into an inmate’s account.

Any person wishing to deposit money or certified check into an inmate’s account may do so by bringing the money or certified check to the detention center on the inmate’s visitation day.

Money orders or certified checks may be mailed to the Detention Center to the address below:

Dawson County Detention Center
64 West Third Street
Dawsonville, GA 30534

Commander | Work Detail/Release Program
Firewood Program | Civil/Warrant Division | Court Services
Fees | Inmate Visitation| View Inmates
Inmate Accounts/Commissary | Inmate Mail | Bonding Procedures

http://www.dawsoncountysheriff.org/detentioninmateaccounts.htm

The link above may provide you with even more information should you have any further questions.

Dark shadows, I am glad you share information you gained from your experiences working nearly 15 years in corrections. You are one of the most cared for and respected posters here on ws:blowkiss:.

Lion

I would be really suprised if Hilton was on suicide watch. I honestly don't think he would try to kill himself. I think he's probably totally mad that he got caught. I don't think he has any remorse at all for the killings. He did it for the money or the fun but he's not sorry. Cold and calculating describe him to me. Not much at all in the news about how much they're grilling him for information. I did read the investigators from Florida and North Carolina didn't get to talk to him because they couldn't come to an agreement with his lawyer. I would like to think he would just up and confess to all the crimes he's commited but I don't think he'll do that either unless it's bragging to another cellmate. Are they allowed to plant someone in with him to see if he would talk to them?

Sandy

Here is some information that may answer many of your questions. I'm not exactly sure why you decided to ask the membership of this forum these questions instead of taking the time to figure it out for yourself, but since we've already crossed that bridge, here's what I could find out:

I did "take the time" to visit the DCDC site before posting here. Nothing at their official site gives a clue about what life is REALLY like for the inmates. How would you suggest that someone "figure it out for themselves" from the website you cite, how an inmate such as Hilton was being treated as far as suicide watch, TV privileges, etc?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back