James Brown has passed away

There are probably IN TRUST ACCOUNTS set up for the child that don't have to be part of the will.

The house was locked because it wasn't even in Mr. Browns name. He had it in trust years before his death even.

I'm so sad to see the "I want mine" mentality of death. Regardless if they liked it or not, he chose to have another child and anyone who don't like that should suck it up. He's not much more than a baby for goodness sake!

Death always brings out the vulture side of some folks.

I also can't believe that at his age he didn't make some kind of arrangement for his child! That is totally wrong!

I haven't heard when the will was written. Most people don't like to think about their own mortality too often.

The will can and certainly will be contested.

I see a long drawn out legal battle in the future before any of this is worked out with mainly the lawyers being the only winners.

The boy does have his name and in the end that may help him earn money, when I saw his mother speak on Larry King the other week she was already talking about how he loved to sing & dance, made me think she was having thoughts of getting him into the business.

VB

Vegas Bride said:
I see a long drawn out legal battle in the future before any of this is worked out with mainly the lawyers being the only winners.

The boy does have his name and in the end that may help him earn money, when I saw his mother speak on Larry King the other week she was already talking about how he loved to sing & dance, made me think she was having thoughts of getting him into the business.

VB

I saw a family battle over a will that didn't seem to have any end in sight. I left the firm after five years, but the battle was going on stronger than ever at that time. You're right, the lawyers are the only winners in cases like that, but with a little bit of work and time, people with money and property to leave behind can avoid all of that. They are usually at fault in cases like these. If you've got kids, please take the time to update your wishes anytime a change takes place. Its fairly easy, not too expensive and can literally save a family emotionally.

In my opinion his son should share in his estate no matter what.

I can see the reason for locking the place up. His memorabilia has to be protected.

montana_16--agree--he should have something but I'm not sure how successful contesting a will can be--A lawyer for the kid could drag it out perhaps in hopes of eventually getting a settlement--reminds me a bit of the Tori Spelling case where her father only left her 1 million out of his 500 million fortune---Shame on James Brown if he really didn't leave anything to that kid

2 things to say about this-

1) there are no guarantees in life- so fend for yourself... and,

2) james brown may have been an original and influential musical figure, but really, he was a real jerk.

If the will that was read was put in place before the little boy was born, all it takes is a blood test proving his legitimacy and the mother contesting the will, and the probate has to consider the child's rightful place as an heir. BUT... for what it is worth: JB supposedly told his "wife", Tomi, that upon his death that she was to withdraw $80,000 from their account and put it up for the boys trust. She has stated that is the first thing she did when she got back to SC upon hearing of his death, before his estate froze all of the accounts. As a whole, this situation is a huge mess... she isn't his legal wife and it has been said that the boy isn't his. Time and testing will tell...

I was born and raised down there where he is from (even share the same darn birthday... and my parents live less than 5 miles from his estate). The man was nothing but trouble... someone put it right when they said he may have been influential, but he was a jerk. We got to see it first hand, down there... his rap sheet has everything from spousal abuse, drugs, to shooting at the police in a chase, on it... the man's deviant nature ran a mile deep. I was down there in the Augusta,GA/N,Augusta,SC area for the holidays and I was shocked at how much sainthood was being piled upon this man's image and how people were calling him a role model!!!!! :| He was no role model...

reb said:
2 things to say about this-

1) there are no guarantees in life- so fend for yourself... and,

2) james brown may have been an original and influential musical figure, but really, he was a real jerk.

I've also heard he was an *sshole and troublemaker.

I think the will that was read was drawn up in 2000. If so that could be why the kid is not in it since he is only 5. Don't hold me to that because I can't recall where I read that. That year just sticks in my mind.

kato said:
I've also heard he was an *sshole and troublemaker.

I think the will that was read was drawn up in 2000. If so that could be why the kid is not in it since he is only 5. Don't hold me to that because I can't recall where I read that. That year just sticks in my mind.

Just got confirmation from newsday.com on the AP breaking news that the will was drawn up Aug. 1st 2000. That's a year before the marriage and 10 mos. before the child was born. Guess he never got around to changing the will if that is what he wanted to do.

The same article says if children were named specifically in the will no problem. But if others were excluded they have no claim to the parents assets regardless of when they were born.

Interesting... I don't know the jurisdiction, but WI law has a provision to protect children in this case. If will was written b4 child was born, then child shares equally with other kids. The law assumes that the parent would have provided for child.

Plus - this is a minor child - so wouldn't his estate be on the hook for child support?? I think that a judge can provide for this during probate - as a claim against the estate... The other outcome doesn't seem to make sense - you can die with millions, and your children aren't in your will, thus get no child support $$ once you die, while random relative or foundation gets all your estate?? Seems like states would have protected against this.

yeah.. i just cannot make a hero and a saint out of a guy who was a drug addict, that habitually beat his wife/wives.. evaded cops, acted like a common street when confronted by cops, etc.. and then tried to blame 'racism' for his actions... please... grow up already... and if you don't want to be lumped in with the stereotype, then quit living up to the stereotype!

although that clip of him being interviewed while high was pretty entertaining...!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back