Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
One 30 foot tsunami was witnessed at a port in Japan, per CNN crawl.

So much devastation. This is very sad to see and so many other Pacific areas to be affected. CNN telling people that they should call friends and relatives in other pacific areas, to wake them up and tell them about this since they would be sleeping.

#9 at 6.3 mag... they are getting rattled big time... it's like a swarm of big quakes. Also means more energy fed into the water waves.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said a tsunami warning was in effect for Japan, Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. A tsunami watch has been issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and the U.S. state of Hawaii.

I am sitting here just shocked by the video of the massive wave and debris moving over the inland area... it's hard to comprehend.

I am sitting here just shocked by the video of the massive wave and debris moving over the inland area... it's hard to comprehend.

I feel the same way, I have never seen anything like this.

Oh no I just saw cars and trucks on the highway being caught up in the tsunami, can you imagine the horror??? :(

Seconds and everything is wrecked. Kat they said the waves from the after effects should start to hit Hawaii in 6 1/2 hours. Not sure what that means. After effects?

TO - CIVIL DEFENSE IN THE STATE OF HAWAII
SUBJECT - TSUNAMI WARNING
A TSUNAMI WARNING IS ISSUED FOR THE STATE OF HAWAII EFFECTIVE AT
0931 PM HST.

EVALUATION
A TSUNAMI HAS BEEN GENERATED THAT COULD CAUSE DAMAGE ALONG
COASTLINES OF ALL ISLANDS IN THE STATE OF HAWAII. URGENT ACTION
SHOULD BE TAKEN TO PROTECT LIVES AND PROPERTY.

http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php?id=hawaii.2011.03.11.073148

From the warning that Peliman posted, this is very informative:

EVALUATION
A TSUNAMI HAS BEEN GENERATED THAT COULD CAUSE DAMAGE ALONG
COASTLINES OF ALL ISLANDS IN THE STATE OF HAWAII. URGENT ACTION
SHOULD BE TAKEN TO PROTECT LIVES AND PROPERTY.

A TSUNAMI IS A SERIES OF LONG OCEAN WAVES. EACH INDIVIDUAL WAVE
CREST CAN LAST 5 TO 15 MINUTES OR MORE AND EXTENSIVELY FLOOD
COASTAL AREAS. THE DANGER CAN CONTINUE FOR MANY HOURS AFTER THE
INITIAL WAVE AS SUBSEQUENT WAVES ARRIVE. TSUNAMI WAVE HEIGHTS
CANNOT BE PREDICTED AND THE FIRST WAVE MAY NOT BE THE LARGEST.

TSUNAMI WAVES EFFICIENTLY WRAP AROUND ISLANDS. ALL SHORES ARE AT
RISK NO MATTER WHICH DIRECTION THEY FACE.

THE TROUGH OF A TSUNAMI WAVE MAY TEMPORARILY EXPOSE THE SEAFLOOR BUT THE AREA WILL QUICKLY FLOOD AGAIN. EXTREMELY STRONG AND UNUSUAL NEARSHORE CURRENTS CAN ACCOMPANY A TSUNAMI. DEBRIS PICKED UP AND CARRIED BY A TSUNAMI AMPLIFIES ITS DESTRUCTIVE POWER. SIMULTANEOUS HIGH TIDES OR HIGH SURF CAN SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE THE TSUNAMI HAZARD.

THE ESTIMATED ARRIVAL TIME IN HAWAII OF THE FIRST TSUNAMI WAVE IS
0259 AM HST FRI 11 MAR 2011

Correspondent on Aljazeera said that this is the biggest quake in 300 years.

FOX just said they have upgraded from a tsunami watch to a tsunami warning for Hawaii

Yes WOO I just came back to say that the sirens were sounded about 15 mins ago. We lost internet for a few probably because of traffic right now here on the internet.

Evac's are going on right now.

Prayers for those in Japan. They are pretty darn serious right now on the TV about getting away from the beach areas here so hopefully everyone can get away by the time they expect first wave. Now they are saying as soon as 2 AM our time.

FYI it is 10:20 PM Thursday evening here. They are saying they are anticipating a "wrap around" for all of our islands from the tidal surges from this tsumani.

I'll come back and update as I can on Hawaii. The infrastructure here can not handle a big surge from a tsunami. Meaning I don't know about utilities and internet connections if we do get hit by the tsumani.

Oh Kat, be safe! (hope you are either on high ground or, headed to high ground!)

Only 6 known quakes have been stronger, in the world. (AlJazeera report)

Yes WOO I just came back to say that the sirens were sounded about 15 mins ago. We lost internet for a few probably because of traffic right now here on the internet.

Evac's are going on right now.

Prayers for those in Japan. They are pretty darn serious right now on the TV about getting away from the beach areas here so hopefully everyone can get away by the time they expect first wave. Now they are saying as soon as 2 AM our time.

FYI it is 10:20 PM Thursday evening here. They are saying they are anticipating a "wrap around" for all of our islands from the tidal surges from this tsumani.

I'll come back and update as I can on Hawaii. The infrastructure here can not handle a big surge from a tsunami. Meaning I don't know about utilities and internet connections if we do get hit by the tsumani.

Praying for you!!! Have they predicted how big the waves might be?

It's time to hold out collective breath as reports emerge from around the Pacific. I hope we don't hear of any more tsunami reports from other countries but I understand 63 countries are under warnings. I hope the tsunami's fizzle out or things could get alot worse.

TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR
JAPAN / RUSSIA / MARCUS IS. / N. MARIANAS / GUAM / WAKE IS. /
TAIWAN / YAP / PHILIPPINES / MARSHALL IS. / BELAU / MIDWAY IS. /
POHNPEI / CHUUK / KOSRAE / INDONESIA / PAPUA NEW GUINEA /
NAURU / JOHNSTON IS. / SOLOMON IS. / KIRIBATI / HOWLAND-BAKER /
HAWAII / TUVALU / PALMYRA IS. / VANUATU / TOKELAU / JARVIS IS. /
WALLIS-FUTUNA / SAMOA / AMERICAN SAMOA / COOK ISLANDS / NIUE /
AUSTRALIA / FIJI / NEW CALEDONIA / TONGA / MEXICO /
KERMADEC IS / FR. POLYNESIA / NEW ZEALAND / PITCAIRN /
GUATEMALA / EL SALVADOR / COSTA RICA / NICARAGUA / ANTARCTICA /
PANAMA / HONDURAS / CHILE / ECUADOR / COLOMBIA / PERU
THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY
NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE
DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND
ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php?id=pacific.2011.03.11.073000

On FOX they are now talking about waves possibly hitting the west coast of the mainland U.S.

FOX reporting that the waves hitting Hawaii could be 6-8' tall, which is extremely dangerous.

DK the last time they spoke of it they were just bantering around possibilities. The problem is that there really isn't anything directly between us and Japan for them to be able to measure the waves prior to getting here.

I just wanted to let anyone know that has loved ones living here (or our guests that are reading) that if they have a verizon cell phone that none of the customers are getting signal now. Just said it on the news. Try to contact your loved one in a different way.

The main roads leading away from our coastal areas (keep in mind this is a very very small Island, I am on Oahu) are now bumper to bumper and are pretty much at a standstill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda