Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
DK the last time they spoke of it they were just bantering around possibilities. The problem is that there really isn't anything directly between us and Japan for them to be able to measure the waves prior to getting here.

I just wanted to let anyone know that has loved ones living here (or our guests that are reading) that if they have a verizon cell phone that none of the customers are getting signal now. Just said it on the news. Try to contact your loved one in a different way.

The main roads leading away from our coastal areas (keep in mind this is a very very small Island, I am on Oahu) are now bumper to bumper and are pretty much at a standstill.

Kat, in Hurricane Katrina the only way people could communicate was through texting. I'm not sure it will work there but it did in New Orleans.

Thanks for the updates.

DK the last time they spoke of it they were just bantering around possibilities. The problem is that there really isn't anything directly between us and Japan for them to be able to measure the waves prior to getting here.

I just wanted to let anyone know that has loved ones living here (or our guests that are reading) that if they have a verizon cell phone that none of the customers are getting signal now. Just said it on the news. Try to contact your loved one in a different way.

The main roads leading away from our coastal areas (keep in mind this is a very very small Island, I am on Oahu) are now bumper to bumper and are pretty much at a standstill.

Thanks, Kat. I'm quite shocked there are no buoys between you and Japan given the risk. Please be as safe as possible!

The west coast of the U.S. is now under a Tsunami watch.

The tsunami stretched across 1300 miles of coastline???????????
This is one of the biggest tsunamis ever seen?
Oh Lord have Mercy. This is going to take a toll.

Sirens are going off again here. People are walking out of Honolulu on foot in order to get out of that area in time.

I do think you're right katydid. My Husband just called from Iraq. Those soldiers with him are very upset because they are there and we are all here. Bless their hearts.

I am going to go shower, I had been at the gym when this all happened. Sure don't want to be stinky like this for days and days if we lose utilities and water haha just trying to be lighthearted about it :)

Oregon, Wash. coasts under Tsunami Watch

A Tsunami Watch was in effect for all Oregon and Washington coastal counties after a major earthquake struck in Japan, followed by a damaging Tsunami. KGW chief meteorologist Matt Zaffino said the first tsunami wave was expected to reach the Oregon coast at about 7:15 a.m.

Small waves from tsunami likely to hit California on Friday morning; beaches might be cleared
March 11, 2011 | 12:33 am

Cindi Preller of the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said that the tsunami could cause some unusually high tides but not major inundations.

There is a really good Tsunami Travel Time Graphic Diagram at the link.

So all of the local teens here have been texting each other about going surfing tomorrow at sunrise. [ southern california]They think it will be cool but I am forcing my kids to stay away. [ mean mom]

I'm on the Big Island in Kona and they mentioned buoys near Midway Island that will give more information on size of possible waves. The wave should reach those buoys around 11:30pm-midnight, Hawaii time.
Sirens are going off here right now. I'm high enough to not have to evacuate.

I think it would be interesting to see it, if in fact by the time it gets here it would be distinguishable from a regular large wave.

I think it would be interesting to see it, if in fact by the time it gets here it would be distinguishable from a regular large wave.

The difference would be it could be coming in at 500mph.

So all of the local teens here have been texting each other about going surfing tomorrow at sunrise. [ southern california]They think it will be cool but I am forcing my kids to stay away. [ mean mom]

A tsunami acts differently than regular waves, I doubt surfing is a smart option. Good mom!

Tsunami Warning for Northern California.

Expected to reach mouth of San Francisco Bay at 8:08 AM PST.

A tsunami acts differently than regular waves, I doubt surfing is a smart option. Good mom!

They think I am being paranoid of course. I made my daughter watch the footage on CNN just now because she thought she was going to Zuma Beach in Malibu with all her surfer dude friends tomorrow. She still thinks I am overreacting though.

It will probably be nothing here, but better safe than sorry.

I personally, think there is good reason to be very cautious and heed the warnings in Hawaii, but not the California coastline so much. I think it could and will have a bigger affect on the South American coastline.

Around here, the surfers are in more peril from random bodies dropping off the Golden Gate Bridge than they are from a wave coming from Japan. — IMO

As if the threat of a Tsunami isn't bad enough, a 4.6 magnitude earthquake occurred at the southern part of Kilauea Volcano at 10:58pm HST.

Tsunami Warning

Statement as of 12:44 AM PST on March 11, 2011
Expires 5:14 AM EST on March 11, 2011

... A Tsunami Warning is now in effect which includes the
coastal areas of California and Oregon from point
Concepcion California to the Oregon-Washington border...

Persons in Tsunami Warning coastal areas should move inland to
higher ground.

Tsunami warnings mean that a tsunami with significant widespread
inundation is imminent or expected. Tsunamis are a series of
waves potentially dangerous several hours after initial arrival
time. Estimated times of initial wave arrival for selected
sites in the warning are provided below.

Charleston-or 0715 PST Mar 11 seaside-or 0724 PST Mar 11
Crescent City-CA 0723 PST Mar 11 San Francisco-CA 0808 PST Mar 11

For arrival times at additional locations see
wcatwc.Arh.NOAA.Gov

I personally, think there is good reason to be very cautious and heed the warnings in Hawaii, but not the California coastline so much. I think it could and will have a bigger affect on the South American coastline.

Around here, the surfers are in more peril from random bodies dropping off the Golden Gate Bridge than they are from a wave coming from Japan. — IMO

Usually that is true. Yet decades ago there was a rogue tsunami created by a Japanese quake that killed 20 people up in Crescent City California. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member