Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I don't want anyone to panic, but seriously ~ this situation is not going to get "better." Once they flooded the towers with sea water they ruined the plant and now it cannot be fixed. Once those fuel rods aren't covered with water anymore, they will melt down and nothing can stop them. These explosions are damaging the containment and they can't be repaired. The wind is blowing towards Tokyo and even staying indoors and wearing a mask is not going to save everyone.

Obama could come out and say that "All is Well," and it wouldn't be true even if it made people feel better. Our government is watching in horror like the rest of the world. It's just like Katrina and the Gulf Oil Spill ~ all the experts in the world can't stop it or turn back the clock.

So truly, please don't believe all the happy talk on the news from the technocrats who work for the nuclear industry. They are counting on the fact that most people don't remember much about Chernobyl and Three Mile Island (which was actually a success story compared to this mess).

The headlines on Kyodo News are a good source of information straight out of Japan, although there is some spin going on there as well.
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/

World Earthquake List (Refresh to see the newest quakes)
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html

How can they know? Intelligence gathering is one thing. You monitir the media, you interview, you send people into the affected/suspect area, and you investigate the outcome/consequences of past similar incidents.

In this case, that's not possible. The media is all over the place, the Japanese government is desperate to try and keep their economic infrastructure intact, which does not lend itself to truthfulness, we aren't barging in unless we are invited, there is no one to interview that is likely to be honest at this point, the affected area is too dangerous to send anyone into or over, since there is a no fly zone, and there has never been an incident quite like this one for comparison. (Chernobyl, I feel is a weak comparison, and if there is full meltdown of three reactors, will be considered tiny in comparison.)

Maybe in light of the fact that there is no news to report, they are afraid of having to resort to the same doubletalk that the japanese government is using. Or they are afraid of inciting further panic by saying they don't know what will happen, and subscribing to the no news is good news theory.

How can they not know? This is the U. S. government! We've always known in the past. We've never waited to be "invited" but instead our officials made sure they knew what was going on. People are starting to panic worldwide. We need our leaders to step up and at least reassure us they are doing everything possible to guard us against disaster if nothing else. Just let us know we actually have someone taking charge of our welfare. Something. Their silence is deafening.

wyoming has quakes... didn't know that lol

There was a 7.3 earthquake in Montana, right near the Wyoming border back in 1959.

Here's a map of Wyoming showing all earthquakes from 1871 to the present:

histq.gif

The top left corner of the map is Yellowstone National Park which is on top of a supervolcano. Is that what is causing all those earthquakes there? I know earthquakes are caused by faults but is the supervolcano related to all the earthquakes too?

Every state but North Dakota, Washington DC, and Wisconsin, and Florida has had an earthquake over 3.5 in the past 30 years.

My dad experienced an earthquake when he was living in Brooklyn.

YOu guys remember that site which had that fear mongering map that we decided wasn't legit because it was put out buy a company selling geiger counters and iodide pills and stuff.... it also had a radiation level map with updates every 3 minutes (which i do think was legit) well the whole site is gone now.. just gone......

ETA: I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but i find this really weird......

as of almost 10 am the site for buying stuff is back up.. however the radiation monitoring part is down

500 Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the site administrator and inform them of the time the error occured and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

There was a 7.3 earthquake in Montana, right near the Wyoming border back in 1959.

Here's a map of Wyoming showing all earthquakes from 1871 to the present:

histq.gif

The top left corner of the map is Yellowstone National Park which is on top of a supervolcano. Is that what is causing all those earthquakes there? I know earthquakes are caused by faults but is the supervolcano related to all the earthquakes too?

Every state but North Dakota, Washington DC, and Wisconsin, and Florida has had an earthquake over 3.5 in the past 30 years.

My dad experienced an earthquake when he was living in Brooklyn.

BBM

WOW thank you!!
And i thought all we had to fear was tornadoes!!!! LOL

There are growing fears that nuclear fall out from the Fukushima reactor could hit the United States.
Scientists warned yesterday of a 'worst-case scenario' in which the highly radioactive material could be blasted into the atmosphere and blown towards the West Coast by the Pacific jet stream - as seen in the graphic above.
They said it could be picked up by powerful 30,000ft winds, carrying the debris across the Pacific and hitting the West Coast. Some estimates claimed the radiation could arrive on America's shores by this evening.
'Right now it's quite possible that there could be some radiation floating over the United States,' said Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman David McIntyre.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-blast-hits-nuclear-plant.html#ixzz1Gg9w05eL

article-1366308-0B2BF83F00000578-100_296x211.jpg

WOW thank you!!
And i thought all we had to fear was tornadoes!!!! LOL

The New Madrid fault line is located in Missouri; our neighbors. It caused an earthquake in 1811-12 and the following quote will give you an idea of how massive it was:

Some sections of the Mississippi River appeared to run backward for a short time. Residents as far away as Pittsburgh and Norfolk were awakened by intense shaking. Church bells were reported to ring as far as Boston, Massachusetts and York, Ontario (now Toronto), and sidewalks were reported to have been cracked and broken in Washington, D.C. There were also reports of toppled chimneys in Maine.

They believe the New Madrid quake was 7.5-8.0 on the scale.

WOW..... and that is smaller than the one in japan....
Mother nature is a scary thing sometimes....

wyoming has quakes... didn't know that lol

Yellowstone, a giant caldera - meaning a gigantic hole/pit/depression, is partially in Wyoming. It erupted a long, long time ago. Yeah, there are quakes, and there is a volcano under there, a BIG one. A few years ago, when my son lived in Wyoming, Yellowstone Lake developed a large bubble-type thing under it that they were watching. If Yellowstone ever went "off", you really can bend over and kiss it.

Yellowstone, a giant caldera - meaning a gigantic hole/pit/depression, is partially in Wyoming. It erupted a long, long time ago. Yeah, there are quakes, and there is a volcano under there, a BIG one. A few years ago, when my son lived in Wyoming, Yellowstone Lake developed a large bubble-type thing under it that they were watching. If Yellowstone ever went "off", you really can bend over and kiss it.

comforting ;) LOL

I have been to Yellowstone 3x and I always say that if that supervolcano erupts during my lifetime, I hope it happens when I'm there!

Yes, Yellowstone routinely has small earthquakes. If the supervolcano ever "wakes up" then we are all in trouble! The magma underground is what gives Yellowstone the hot springs and geysers. Just last year there were reports that several geysers were acting strangely and there was a series of quakes that went on for weeks. Here's the Earthquake List for Yellowstone - mostly mini-quakes lately.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/44.46.-111.-109_eqs.php

How can they not know? This is the U. S. government! We've always known in the past. We've never waited to be "invited" but instead our officials made sure they knew what was going on. People are starting to panic worldwide. We need our leaders to step up and at least reassure us they are doing everything possible to guard us against disaster if nothing else. Just let us know we actually have someone taking charge of our welfare. Something. Their silence is deafening.

We're not a superpower anymore, why would we know more than anyone else? And obviously we haven't always known. There are many things worldwide that cause potential health risks that we knew nothing about until it got here. I don't know why we waited for the invite this time, I really don't, and I agree it's out of character, but we did, and it's going to affect how much info we get. If anyone in our government even attempts to say something reassuring, all the country will hear is "radiation". Water, medication, and food will fly off the shelves, price gouging will begin on everything from paper masks to gas to duct tape. Our economy will crash, harder than it already is. There hasn't been anyone in our government taking charge of our welfare for quite some time, IMO, why should today be any different? If you are concerned, get the lists of what you need to do, need to buy and where you need to go and do it. Don't wait for the government to tell you to do it, they are usually a day late and buck short, anyway, IMO.

There is no way to protect us, if it's coming, it's coming and all we can do is take our protein pills and put our helmets on. Nobody wants to hear that.

Look, I don't want anyone to panic, but seriously ~ this situation is not going to get "better." Once they flooded the towers with sea water they ruined the plant and now it cannot be fixed. Once those fuel rods aren't covered with water anymore, they will melt down and nothing can stop them. These explosions are damaging the containment and they can't be repaired. The wind is blowing towards Tokyo and even staying indoors and wearing a mask is not going to save everyone.

Obama could come out and say that "All is Well," and it wouldn't be true even if it made people feel better. Our government is watching in horror like the rest of the world. It's just like Katrina and the Gulf Oil Spill ~ all the experts in the world can't stop it or turn back the clock.

So truly, please don't believe all the happy talk on the news from the technocrats who work for the nuclear industry. They are counting on the fact that most people don't remember much about Chernobyl and Three Mile Island (which was actually a success story compared to this mess).

The headlines on Kyodo News are a good source of information straight out of Japan, although there is some spin going on there as well.
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/

World Earthquake List (Refresh to see the newest quakes)
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html

Thank you

I was reading about Chernobyl and I find this part pretty fascinating/weird:

The Exclusion Zone around the Chernobyl nuclear power station is reportedly a haven for wildlife. As humans were evacuated from the area 25 years ago, existing animal populations multiplied and rare species not seen for centuries have returned or have been reintroduced, for example lynx, wild boar, wolf, Eurasian brown bear, European bison, Przewalski's horse, and eagle owl. Birds even nest inside the cracked concrete sarcophagus shielding in the shattered remains of Reactor. The Exclusion Zone is so lush with wildlife and greenery that in 2007 the Ukrainian government designated it a wildlife sanctuary and at 488.7 km2 it is one of the largest wildlife sanctuaries in Europe.

I was reading about Chernobyl and I find this part pretty fascinating/weird:

Yeah, I read about that a while back and found it "odd" also. Maybe mankind is more dangerous to wildlife than radiation is.

tehcloser - At your link, there is a picture of a mother and daughter, inches apart, with daughter locked inside a containment chamber after testing positive for signs of radiation. They are so close and, yet, there might as well be an entire ocean between them.

That is the saddest and scariest photo, to me, that has been published so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph