Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading about Chernobyl and I find this part pretty fascinating/weird:

There's a really weird/good video from the TV show "Destination Truth" in which they spent the night at Chernobyl. It's on Hulu or check YouTube. One of the spookiest things I've ever seen, even though the "ghosts" they saw are probably owls and foxes. But the abandoned buildings are just so freaky!

(ETA: They were only allowed to stay there for 24 hours so the radiation level wouldn't rise to cancerous levels).

Gilbert Godfried fired for tweeting rude jokes about crisis in japan

Jack***

ETA: this came from cnn live on TV

Holy he!! in a hand basket, I hate that it's raining here on the west coast for the next week. DS came home with the last bottle of iodine at the grocery... now, I have to find teh's link. I'll bring it forward.

Thanks for the overnight updates, guys.

Uh, no, I don't think you want that!

If you're in Yellowstone when it happens, you'll die instantly. If not, you'll probably die eventually but not after suffering. It's believed that the last time the supervolcano erupted, it caused the Ice Age. Global temperatures would decrease 21 degrees, killing animals and plants. There would also be a huge ash cloud over much of the country.

lol, not to worry.........look what I found:

If no tablets available, you can topically (on the skin) apply an iodine solution, like tincture of iodine or Betadine, for a similar protective effect. (WARNING: Iodine solutions are NEVER to be ingested or swallowed.) For adults, paint 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm each day, ideally at least 2 hours prior to possible exposure. For children 3 to 18, but under 150 pounds, only half that amount painted on daily, or 4 ml. For children under 3 but older than a month, half again, or 2 ml. For newborns to 1 month old, half it again, or just 1 ml. (One measuring teaspoon is about 5 ml, if you don't have a medicine dropper graduated in ml.) If your iodine is stronger than 2%, reduce the dosage accordingly. Absorption through the skin is not as reliable a dosing method as using the tablets, but tests show that it will still be very effective for most. Do not use if allergic to iodine.

http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm

Here it is, thank's teh, for digging this up.

btw, the tablets have been sold out in this county since Saturday.

my work just sent out an email suspending all travel to tokyo due to another plant failure.

The Japan Atomic Power Company on 13 March stated that a cooling pump at one of the reactors of the Tokai nuclear power plant in Ibaraki prefecture, which is located 75 miles (120km) north of the capital Tokyo, had stopped functioning. However, according to the company, additional pumps at the facility are working properly and providing adequate support to the affected reactor's cooling system.

Here it is, thank's teh, for digging this up.

btw, the tablets have been sold out in this county since Saturday.

I wonder if the heads of this country realize how panicked people are....

3373 confirmed dead in Japan, 6 million confirmed homeless from initial disaster. -CNN

Personal opinion based on research: Watching the videos of the fire and the smoke from the pool fire, it appears that is yellow smoke, which means stronium, a nuclear byproduct.

Gilbert Godfried fired for tweeting rude jokes about crisis in japan

Jack***

ETA: this came from cnn live on TV

Some people have no sense of humor. The fact is though, I'd rather go out laughing, and laughter is good, than go out in cowering, paralizing fear. I'd rather leave 'em laughing.

Bad taste? Probably. I guess. Not sure. Sometimes I think this mess is a big joke on the universe, civilization, if you can call it that. Why not laugh? Can any of us do anything about it? Our governments and experts can't, and I do think that is funny.

What will be will be, whether we enjoy the joke or not.

The Dow is down 223 points, the Nikkei dropped more than 10% overnight...

We may have worries that are bigger than nuclear fallout if this keeps up. MOO. (except for the stats, they came from CNN.)

What's YOUR sense, J? Do we need to be concerned here in California or not?
HI Nova, I missed this.
I am not concerned in the immediate for the west coast. I think it is early and a lot needs to happen for it to seriously impact us at this time.
But with that said, I am reading everything I can find because the situation changes hourly.

Some people have no sense of humor. The fact is though, I'd rather go out laughing, and laughter is good, than go out in cowering, paralizing fear. I'd rather leave 'em laughing.

Bad taste? Probably. I guess. Not sure. Sometimes I think this mess is a big joke on the universe, civilization, if you can call it that. Why not laugh? Can any of us do anything about it? Our governments and experts can't, and I do think that is funny.

I agree, he's in bad taste any day, imo.

If you're in Yellowstone when it happens, you'll die instantly. If not, you'll probably die eventually but not after suffering. It's believed that the last time the supervolcano erupted, it caused the Ice Age. Global temperatures would decrease 21 degrees, killing animals and plants. There would also be a huge ash cloud over much of the country.
I know ~ I wouldn't want to be there!

Japan wind change to blow radiation over the Pacific...

Excerpt:
"The cloud is going in the direction of Tokyo for the next 15 to 20 hours or so," said Gerhard Wotawa, of the Austrian weather service ZAMG who is advising the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). "Then it will go out towards the Pacific," he told Reuters. "At some point this will also spread around the world." With prevailing winds, Canada and the United States might be first to detect a much diluted cloud.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/15/japan-quake-winds-idUSLDE72E16720110315

Just to put into perspective... one guy who was here for TMI and Chernobyl says we had higher reading from Chernobyl than TMI... (We're 70 miles from TMI)...

Morning all :seeya: and question please

When I got up = FOX said there had been a 6.1 aftershock. Then they showed a map and the epicenter was pinpointed SOUTH of Tokoyo. So, is that an aftershock or a completely new quake? Do aftershocks come from surrounding areas?

I think the jokes about Japan are in bad taste and people being offended by them have nothing to do with having no sense of humor. Thousands of people have died and making jokes while you are living a comfortable life in the U.S. just makes you look ignorant, attention-seeking, and lacking compassion.

Japan wind change to blow radiation over the Pacific...

Excerpt:
"The cloud is going in the direction of Tokyo for the next 15 to 20 hours or so," said Gerhard Wotawa, of the Austrian weather service ZAMG who is advising the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). "Then it will go out towards the Pacific," he told Reuters. "At some point this will also spread around the world." With prevailing winds, Canada and the United States might be first to detect a much diluted cloud.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/15/japan-quake-winds-idUSLDE72E16720110315

I believe the problem here is - it will all blow over. Yes, it probably will - dropping bits of death along the way. Years from now people will come down with cancer, and no one will know (or admit) why.

The nuclear mess in Japan wasn't to blame, it was a diluted cloud, well within legal limits. May all the government nay sayers get a cancerous growth on their necks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz