Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, and thank you again for keeping watch.

So. Nothing's changed, but everything has?
Again?

I decided I'd rather walk on a radioactive beach and cry than hide safe and ignorant inside.

They buried Chernobyl by dumping concrete, and now sand over the thing. As for dangerous? Who knows? I wonder if Chernobyl is still reacting.

As for shocking experience, I imagine water would turn to steam pretty quick and go into the atmosphere. After that, maybe it will work?

My strictly uneducated guessing.

Haven't gotten caught up again, but IMO, the sand won't help much. Learn from Chernobyl if you are going to try the same things...the sand melted when they tried it.

The definition of doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? Insanity. Therefore, I think this is a crazy idea. MOO.

I am disappointed with the realization that people living in 2011 are holding a grudge against Japan and the Japanese for a war that occurred 70 years ago. Japan has proved itself to be a good ally to the US and, as with most political conflict, the citizens are not responsible for the wars of their leaders. Besides, if we are going to judge on behavior during war, it was the US that committed the most atrocious act ever, annihilating entire populations of Japan with atom bombs.

Most of us have grown up with war. I am a child of the Vietnam era and lost my father to that unjustified conflict. It has never occurred to me to blame the Vietnamese people nor to wish them ill. I would be equally horrified if they were to be victims of a great disaster as I am for those of Japan, Haiti, Indonesia and New Orleans.

uummmmm Where in the world is Shepard Smith? He's been in Tokoyo and been on the air for his show every day. Now I know Friday is usually his "day off" and there is a stand-in but being that he's in Tokoyo and there is a crisis there - I would think he would report. And no sign of him at all. None. So, is he back enroute to the US? Is he headed to the Libya area? I just don't think anyone (reporter-wise) would head off to that region when we are threatening air strikes - but who knows.

I just wonder where in the world Shep went.

He has a special tonight on at 9pm,EST.

REALLY REALLY REALLY good point about Denver and elevation. Notice there are 3 clustered real tight there in Denver and there's one I can't see cause the other 2 are on top.

Would really like to know the elevation of that one in Denver and is it high enough to be picking up the upper atmosphere winds. Upper atmosphere winds are a totally different animal than the "regular wind" that everyone is thinking about the radiation floating in on.

I"ve been watching it since Monday and Denver is always at 40 or 50. I saw it hit 63 earlier but it's back down now.

I picked my hubby from the airpart, he just flew back into Iowa from Dallas Ft. Worth.. I made him put his luggage in the garage and i'm double washing his clothes that wre int he suitcase.. yep i'm scared of teeny doses of possible probably not there radiation LOL :innocent:

Ikhns.......well if you found anyone quoting levels - actual numbers - you are doing better than me. I can't find any anywhere. Oh, duh......never mind I mis-read your post. Gotcha!

Sorry, everyone, I am working in the yard today and when I take a break I check here to see what is going on. Here is a link to EnviroReporter's geiger counter. It has a pretty good explanation about "normal" levels and I KNOW that when I first read it early this morning that the guy (Michael Collins) said that the alert level for San Fran was 132. I can't find that sentence now. What is also a little weird is that from reading all of the comments it appears that the counter was offline for many hours yesterday and I don't know why. The owner, Michael, had been answering almost every question periodically but there is nothing posted from him in over 24 hours. hmmmm. Anyway, here is the link:

http://www.enviroreporter.com/2011/03/enviroreporter-coms-radiation-station/#comments

PS I found this link from reading a post on here, so any kudos goes to that person (I'm sorry, I don't remember who it was) who found it.

We have a health concern/radiation hot line here in CA that people can call with their concerns.They played the outgoing greeting last night on the radio as the hotline keeps regular office hours and was closed. It was a bit comical to hear the voice refer to it as Nuc-u-lar instead of nuc-le-ar.
While that doesn't promote confidence,LOL, I am not concerned about the amount of radiation that is making its way here to SoCal.

Well, it's nice to hear that George H. Bush has found a job!

I understand where you are coming from - I'm a child of WWII, born right before Pearl Harbor. Believe me, I DO understand.

Now, I may get a TO, but that isn't anything new for me, I'm not at all PC. I remember a lot of bad things about the war, read a lot more about the cruelty of Japan. Prior to this I did mention Bataan death march. If none of you know, look it up. In the past few years I even turned down a trip to Japan while my son was there in the military. I wanted nothing to do with these people; I refused to feed the economy or acknowledge it in any way.

However, right now I am ambivalent. I know the tears are only 'cause they got caught and lost face. I guess falling on swords is outdated or illegal now, but I really don't know. Even so, right now, I'm trying so hard to come to terms with this and it ain't easy. I have a lot of stored up memories from WWII, and bad feelings, but I'm trying to come to terms with them. It isn't easy. Being a child during WWII wasn't easy, it was damned hard, and to hear Obama say they were our dear friends, GAG, only because they had little choice after the war (that's why they have no military), I was appalled.

I always do this, but somehow at the end of all my posts I try to sum up what I'm saying, and it is this - I do not love the Japanese people because I remember very well what happened in WWII, and it was ugly beyond belief, although most here don't know that. I am trying so hard to believe the mindset in Japan has changed, that I can relate to them as a people, not as robots of the Emperor. I want them to feel as me and you feel, I want to cry for their dead, I want to forgive and forget. I don't know if I can, totally, but I want to cry for his dead, my dead, all the pain of humanity.

Time to stop. I hope you all look into history, evaluate your humanity, and maybe, just maybe we can come together and cry. Maybe, I don't really know.

In this thread I have not hesitated to point out that the very stoicism and decorum that we admire in the Japanese have also led to atrocities in the past. I'd be happy to list those atrocities, but I think it would be OT for this thread.

That being said, I am 57. Japan has been an ally of the U.S. throughout my entire life. That doesn't mean we always agree or that there is no economic competition, but the same can be said of England--and nobody would question our close alliance with Great Britain.

The Japanese were not the only ones to commit atrocities in WWII. Have you seen the recently released footage of U.S. personnel burning Okinawans alive in caves? Many of those killed were women and children. Personally, I think the U.S. actually believed lives (Japanese and American) were saved by the use of the A-bombs, but in fact, the casualties from those two bombs paled in comparison to the fire bombing the U.S. did throughout the last two years of the war.

I think it's well past time to forgive and move on. Servicemen on both sides have done so.

Looks like Libya is the hot topic right now,which must be good news for Japan as if the situation were getting worse,I would think it would be th etop news. Crossing fingers.

Japan running out of options to deal with nuke crisis: U.S. experts
By Ben Dooley
WASHINGTON, March 18, Kyodo

Japanese government efforts to deal with the unfolding nuclear crisis in Fukushima Prefecture are ''desperate,'' a group of U.S. nuclear experts said Friday during a panel discussion held at the National Press Club in Washington.

''This is what you call the last-ditch stuff,'' Alvarez said, noting that the severity of the crisis had taken the standard, safer options for responding ''off the table.''

In the short term, Alvarez expects that even these extreme measures will be unable to stop the crisis.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/79504.html

Wow, that 's saying something from Kyodo News, imo. Oh dear.

back up to 71.. okay i gotta make dinner for the kids...

Interesting...Shepard Smith is now back in studio in NY.
Report from Greg Palkow in Japan doesn't sound hopeful. Sounds pretty much like everything that is being done is a last ditch effort. Hope to have power to reactor 2 sometime over the weekend,but they have no idea if the pipes are damaged or not.
I think its just not front and center because Libya is now coming to a head.

Disaster in Japan: Latest developments

Excerpt:
* The reactors and surrounding spent fuel pools have been revealed to contain plutonium, a far more deadly element than the uranium used in the plant, reports the Associated Press. Unit 3 has the highest concentration of plutonium - approximately 5 to 10-percent - according one physicist from the Union of Concerned Scientists. Plutonium is a byproduct of fission and is detectable in all of the Fukushima reactors.

Interesting...Shepard Smith is now back in studio in NY.
Report from Greg Palkow in Japan doesn't sound hopeful. Sounds pretty much like everything that is being done is a last ditch effort. Hope to have power to reactor 2 sometime over the weekend,but they have no idea if the pipes are damaged or not.
I think its just not front and center because Libya is now coming to a head.

And the chances that the pipes aren't damaged...about nil. MOO.

Disaster in Japan: Latest developments

Excerpt:
* The reactors and surrounding spent fuel pools have been revealed to contain plutonium, a far more deadly element than the uranium used in the plant, reports the Associated Press. Unit 3 has the highest concentration of plutonium - approximately 5 to 10-percent - according one physicist from the Union of Concerned Scientists. Plutonium is a byproduct of fission and is detectable in all of the Fukushima reactors.

Yes, it now appears that all six reactors contain plutonium. And another lovely tidbit:
"Plutonium is indeed nasty stuff, especially damaging to lungs and kidneys. It is also less stable than uranium and can more easily spark a dangerous nuclear chain reaction.
But plutonium, like uranium, is a heavy element that is not easily dispersed in the air. It is the other byproducts of nuclear power generation, such as radioactive forms of cesium and iodine, that are more prone to spread and cause widespread contamination."

tHere's a website explaining it in detail:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/18/plutonium-troubled-reactors-spent-fuel-pools/

Yep; CNN just showed at the bottom of the TV screen that radiation from Japan has now been detected in California.

And what did POTUS tell us yesterday? It wasn't expected to reach any part of the US.

And I said "expect the unexpected."

There ya go, folks. Got your plastic sheeting and duct tape yet, in case we need it? Because that will be the next thing Lowe's and Home Depot will be sold out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BROTHEROFLISA