Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media has curtailed their reporting on this way back. You notice not one is having any nuclear scientists or nuclear engineers on and asking their opinions. They were in the beginning....when things weren't as bad as they are now.

Agreed, we're not getting very good if any guidance from the government on how to procede or radiation monitoring although I'm sure it's being monitored.

This made me roam to the FDA site this morning and I did find some statements. So I'm posting a few quotes and links for people to peruse and comment on if they like.

All milk and milk products and vegetables and fruits produced or manufactured from the four Japanese prefectures of Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi and Gunma will be detained upon entry into the United States. They will not be allowed to enter the U.S. food supply, unless shown to be free from radionuclide contamination, with the exception of the specific products restricted by the Government of Japan. Those products will be refused admission into the US.

Other food products from this area, including seafood, although not subject to the Import Alert, will be diverted for testing by FDA before they can enter the food supply. FDA will also be monitoring and testing food products, including seafood, from other areas of Japan as appropriate.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm247403.htm

What specific tests is FDA using?
FDA has procedures and laboratory techniques for measuring radionuclide levels in food, and can also utilize the Food Emergency Response Network (FERN)4. FERN integrates the nation's food-testing laboratories at the local, state, and federal levels into a network that is able to respond to emergencies involving biological, chemical, or radiological contamination of food. FDA is working with Customs and Border Protection (CPB) to share resources and techniques for measuring contamination. FDA has the ability to measure contamination in products and issued guidance in 1998 regarding safe levels.

Not sure what it's worth but FERN is United in Protecting & Defending the Food Supply.

FERN foodshield network

Topics include

What is FDA doing to ensure the safety of products imported from Japan?

What specific tests is FDA using?

FDA's methodology used in radionuclide analysis

What are the standards for radionuclides in foods?

What is FDA doing to assess the situation in Japan?

What systems does FDA have in place to protect the U.S. food supply?
Is FDA looking at products that might have traveled through Japan at the time of the explosion?

How will the radiation affect fish and seafood that have not yet been fished or harvested?

Are there dairy products that come from Japan?

What are the chances of radiation affecting growing areas in the US? What action will FDA take to ensure the safety of consumers of those products?

What will FDA do if grass or feed crop in the US does become contaminated in the U.S.

Potassium Iodide addressed

Questions about Medical Products
Hypothetically, if they were needed, what are the FDA-approved products for treatment of internal contamination with radioactive iodine?
There are three FDA-approved potassium iodide (KI) products for use as an adjunct to other public health protective measures in the event that radioactive iodine is released into the environment. The three over-the-counter products are:

Iosat Tablets (130 mg), Anbex, Inc., Williamsburg, Va., http://www.anbex.com9
ThyroSafe Tablets (65 mg), Recipharm AB, Jordbro, Sweden, http://www.thyrosafe.com11
ThyroShield Solution (65 mg/mL), Fleming & Company Pharmaceuticals, Fenton, Mo. http://www.thyroshield.com

We are best armed with knowledge and accuate information. It's what we don't know that causes us to fill in the blanks.

From the CDC, Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Frequently Asked Questions About Iodine-131 Found in Milk

http://emergency.cdc.gov/radiation/isotopes/iodine131andmilk_faq.asp

Radiation Emergencies

CDC has a key role in protecting the public's health in an emergency involving the release of radiation that could harm people's health. This site provides information to help people protect themselves during and after such an event. It also provides information for professionals involved in planning for and responding to this type of emergency.

Several Topics

http://emergency.cdc.gov/Radiation/?s_cid=emergency_001

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/84828.html

TOKYO, April 12, Kyodo

The operator of the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant said Tuesday that it is concerned that radiation leakage at the plant could eventually exceed that of the 1986 Chernobyl catastrophe. ''The radiation leak has not stopped completely and our concern is that the amount of leakage could eventually reach that of Chernobyl or exceed it,'' an official from the Tokyo Electric Power Co. said. Meanwhile, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said that most of the radioactive material released in the air from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant came from the No. 2 reactor damaged by an explosion on March 15. At 6:10 a.m. on March 15, part of the reactor's containment vessel was damaged following an apparent hydrogen explosion. Massive amounts of radioactive substances are believed to have been released from the suppression pool of the reactor, the agency said.

Japan on Tuesday raised the severity level of the accident at the plant to the maximum 7 on an international scale, up from the current 5 and matching that of the Chernobyl disaster in the former Soviet republic of Ukraine. The agency said, however, that the amount of radioactive materials released from the nuke plant is estimated to be about 10 percent of the amount released in the Chernobyl accident.

[video=youtube;OP9N21mihqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP9N21mihqY[/video]
Arnie Gundersen Discusses Radioactive Water Leaking Into the Pacific Ocean with CNN's John King
Gundersen discusses the radioactive water which is sitting in trenches and leaking into the ocean. He explains how the hydrogen explosion in reactor 2 caused a breeched containment. Gundersen puts into perspective the level of radiation being released into the ocean
"There is a lot of radiation in the ocean."-Arnie Gunderson

Just FYI-- Locals here in Southern Orange. San Onfore is running a drill this am, it is only a drill. The sirens and all that I assume?.

ETA:
Emergency drill today at San Onofre Nuclear Plant

Daily News Wire Services
Posted: 04/12/2011 07:52:27 AM PDT
Updated: 04/12/2011 07:56:25 AM PDT

SAN ONOFRE - Radiation experts and emergency workers will participate in a drill today to test responses to an emergency at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, an exercise conducted every other year but has taken on added significance because of the disaster in Japan.

snip
Drills are conducted at the San Onofre plant a few times a year, but this biennial one is a much more extensive test that is monitored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Gil Alexander of Southern California Edison said.

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_17822432

Japan residents (comment) on raised nuclear threat level
2 April 2011 Last updated at 10:23 ET

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13047683

>>>snip

...I have the feeling they authorities are keeping information back from us. Some of my colleagues have expressed similar fears. Some are stocking up on water and not allowing their kids to drink from the tap despite government advice.

I've just come back from a major supermarket. There were long queues and bottled mineral water was sold-out, despite the rule of one litre per household. I managed to get two small bottles of sparkling water..."

(article continues)

<<<snip

Please tell me there is not a "rule" which prevents these people from buying (or having?) more than one litre of water per household! Heavens to Betsy! That's HALF of a big Pepsi bottle?

:)o wikipedia: One litre is slightly more than one U.S. liquid quart and slightly less than one imperial quart or one U.S. dry quart)

I must be missing something here, because from the sound of the comments in this article, folks are upset because the information keeps changing, but nobody seems to have noticed what said new information means !

I need coffee.

(ETA: added link)

On liter per HOUSEHOLD? That's not even a day's worth for one person... and doing it that way, they have to line up every day. May as well just stay in line-- buy the bottle, have a drink, give the kids a drink, go to the back of the line. :mad:

I hope other countries are helping with the water situation.

eta: Can anyone else confirm this-- all I'm finding is this youtube. tia

From Washington Post, April 12, 2011

... the plant faces the constant threat of aftershocks, and on Tuesday a 6.2-magnitude temblor caused a brief fire at a building near Daiichi’s No. 4 reactor. Tokyo Electric said the aftershock did not interrupt the critical injection process used to cool hot fuel rods -- but there had been a 50-minute interruption one day earlier, the result of a 6.6-magntiude quake with an epicenter just 42 miles from the plant.

One litre per household??? Really?!?

Well, lets see, there's 6 people in my household, we'd be dead. With rules like that, Japan's government is going to force people to use the tap water, just to prove that it really is safe. MOO.

From Washington Post, April 12, 2011

... the plant faces the constant threat of aftershocks, and on Tuesday a 6.2-magnitude temblor caused a brief fire at a building near Daiichi&#8217;s No. 4 reactor. Tokyo Electric said the aftershock did not interrupt the critical injection process used to cool hot fuel rods -- but there had been a 50-minute interruption one day earlier, the result of a 6.6-magntiude quake with an epicenter just 42 miles from the plant.

Thanks. But, I don't believe there's been any fuel on fire at #3-- that's what a video upthread claimed. :waitasec:

eta: this is the video HB posted, just can't find anything on it. It would be very disastrous if true--

[video=youtube;gNG5uG3prpo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNG5uG3prpo[/video]

That video or picture of the fire is referenced in MSM. I wondered the same thing and went looking for it. The fire was in a turbine building for reactor #3 but not in reactor 3 itself. I thought somebody had clarified it already. Let me go find it for you, brb.

Here ya go: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42547992/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Caption reads: "A fire broke out at a building for sampling seawater near the No.4 reactor at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant on April 12, 2011."

I know I read it was a turbine building for reactor #3, let me find that quoted for citation purposes.
(Having trouble finding that article but will keep looking, even if I have to go back through my history.)

If you look at the pic you can tell it is much too close to the water to be the reactor itself and there is no destruction evident like reactor 3 has to the building. HTH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZZ6rHsa4Xk
LEVEL 7-Worse than Chernobyl! BUT- don't get too upset folks. The government says it's only 1/10 the amount of radiarion that was released at Chernobyl. So, what factors make it worse or the same level if not the amount of radiation?:maddening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4rE73bUVCA
Mr. Nishiyama stressed that unlike at Chernobyl, where the reactor itself exploded and fire fanned the release of radioactive material, the containments at the four troubled reactors at Fukushima remained intact over all.

But at a separate news conference, an official from Tokyo Electric said, "The radiation leak has not stopped completely and our concern is that it could eventually exceed Chernobyl."

The accident at Chernobyl involved a burning graphite reactor that pushed radioactive particles high into the atmosphere and downwind across Europe. The Japanese accident has mostly produced radioactive liquid runoff into the Pacific Ocean and low-altitude radioactive particles that have tended to blow out into the ocean and quickly fall into the water.

On the International Nuclear Event Scale, a Level 7 nuclear accident involves "widespread health and environmental effects" and the "external release of a significant fraction of the reactor core inventory." The scale, which was developed by the International Atomic Energy Agency and countries that use nuclear energy, leaves it to the nuclear agency of the country where the accident occurs to calculate a rating based on complicated criteria.

Japan's previous rating of 5 placed the Fukushima accident at the same level as the Three Mile Island accident in Pennsylvania in 1979. Level 7 has been applied only to the disaster at Chernobyl, in the former Soviet Union.

"This is an admission by the Japanese government that the amount of radiation released into the environment has reached a new order of magnitude," said Tetsuo Iguchi, a professor in the department of quantum engineering at Nagoya University. "The fact that we have now confirmed the world's second-ever level 7 accident will have huge consequences for the global nuclear industry. It shows that current safety standards are woefully inadequate

RBM IMO No it won't. Only thing that will actually done will be lip service. and honestly, who REALLY cares? Do you see the be masses demanding even information?

RBM IMO No it won't. Only thing that will actually done will be lip service. and honestly, who REALLY cares? Do you see the be masses demanding even information?

Scary isn't it? Where is the outcry and the demand from the masses for the truth? I guess a large percentage of people want to believe what feels good and sounds good to them rather than question what doesn't make sense!! And, IMVHO, the powers that be are counting on that very mindset of blind trust and complacency to keep the delusion in place!:twocents:

Scary isn't it? Where is the outcry and the demand from the masses for the truth? I guess a large percentage of people want to believe what feels good and sounds good to them rather than question what doesn't make sense!! And, IMVHO, the powers that be are counting on that very mindset of blind trust and complacency to keep the delusion in place!:twocents:

I can tell you right now,in my social network,nobody is giving a second thought to Japan right now. In their minds,its Japans problem,if they even know the crisis is going on still.I have one friend in Boston who is up on everything,other than that,most of my friends barely watch the news. (and I live in an upper middle class area,with people who taut how educated they are) Unless there is a big headline,its just not their concern,until it directly affects them. Sometimes I wonder if its better to be like that,unlike me who is a new junkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member