Jason will be re-tried October 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT////I'm sorry to put this here but didn't know what else to do with it. Has anybody else been reading about the Kinston woman, Laura Jean Ackerson, who was supposed to meet her children's father in Wilson and never showed up. Here is the latest report from the N&O just a few minutes ago.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/20/1357247/missing-kinston-woman-last-seen.html

I've heard about this one too, NCEast. I don't know if there is a place on WS's to post *new* or ongoing crimes. How to keep up with current details. It certainly sounds like she met extreme foul play.

Gracie & NCeast,

Email or send a msg to one of the mods and ask them to setup (or show you how to setup) a new thread off of the main forum for this (or any) new case. Give them enough info so they can figure out the best place to put the new thread. Location/name of victim/a few words to describe the case.

Between Jason's siblings, mom and her friends, they can secure $900,000.

I suppose they would be better off coming up with the $90,000 for bail and finding an off shore place to store him.

He caught everyone off guard by testifying. That can't happen twice.

I hope not but I bet he will--he thinks he snowed the jury the first time, and I suppose he did. But hopefully somebody smart enough can trip him up the second time.
On Dateline last night a man was on trial for murdering his girlfriend. He insisted on taking the stand and it totally backfired on him. Dateline interviewed 3 of the jurors afterward and the main spokeswoman for the jurors said had he not taken the stand they may have found him not guilty. He actually hung himself. Additionally, when the prosecutor found out this man was going to testify in his own behalf, the prosecutor kept him on the stand for 3 days drilling, grilling, and interrogating him--especially asking questions he knew the suspect would not be able to easily answer as they were somewhat surprise questions.
I couldn't help but wonder as I watched that episode if BH could not have tried just a wee bit harder while she had Jason on the stand. The Dateline prosecutor said he was overjoyed--that getting to cross a defendant is rare and a very nice gift. We all know that but too bad the ADA in the first trial couldn't seem to get their mess together when they had the chance.

OT////As an aside, I have completely and totally weaned myself from the Casey Anthony saga on WS. the talking head programs such as NG, and elsewhere. I don't care what she does, now much money she makes, or what happens to her or any of her family. It took me almost 3 weeks, after the verdict was read on July 5, to finally get to this point and it feels good.

The property bond allows 70% of tax value.
She and others will need to attach property worth $1,275,000.
Pat has land in Buncombe County worth $214,000...total $543,000.
She has 2 close family friends that would gladly offer up their homes to release JLY pending retrial, IMO.

I'll be surprised if they don't spring him by next week.

Oh my gosh, I hate to read this. Something in my gut tells me if he is bailed out he will never been seen nor heard from again.

I hope not but I bet he will--he thinks he snowed the jury the first time, and I suppose he did. But hopefully somebody smart enough can trip him up the second time.
On Dateline last night a man was on trial for murdering his girlfriend. He insisted on taking the stand and it totally backfired on him. Dateline interviewed 3 of the jurors afterward and the main spokeswoman for the jurors said had he not taken the stand they may have found him not guilty. He actually hung himself. Additionally, when the prosecutor found out this man was going to testify in his own behalf, the prosecutor kept him on the stand for 3 days drilling, grilling, and interrogating him--especially asking questions he knew the suspect would not be able to easily answer as they were somewhat surprise questions.
I couldn't help but wonder as I watched that episode if BH could not have tried just a wee bit harder while she had Jason on the stand. The Dateline prosecutor said he was overjoyed--that getting to cross a defendant is rare and a very nice gift. We all know that but too bad the ADA in the first trial couldn't seem to get their mess together when they had the chance.

It was said, after Jason's brief cross examination by the prosecutor, that she didn't want to continue asking Jason questions because it only gave him more opportunity to tell lies. What an absurd comment! If he was telling lies, then she should have been able to expose the fact that he was lying to the jury. That is what was required to convict him, but we're supposed to believe that for some reason she didn't want to expose the jury to more lies? Perhaps she was unable to expose him as lying ... perhaps the more he answered her questions, the more the jury doubted he was guilty.

In a second trial, the prosecution will be well prepared to catch Jason in a lie, so there's a good chance he won't testify during Round Two. In fact, I think his only chance at freedom is to put up the $90,000 non-refundable bond and skip town. That's a small price to pay for a life of freedom. There are places he could go where he would never be extradicted to the US.

It was said, after Jason's brief cross examination by the prosecutor, that she didn't want to continue asking Jason questions because it only gave him more opportunity to tell lies. What an absurd comment! If he was telling lies, then she should have been able to expose the fact that he was lying to the jury. That is what was required to convict him, but we're supposed to believe that for some reason she didn't want to expose the jury to more lies? Perhaps she was unable to expose him as lying ... perhaps the more he answered her questions, the more the jury doubted he was guilty.

In a second trial, the prosecution will be well prepared to catch Jason in a lie, so there's a good chance he won't testify during Round Two. In fact, I think his only chance at freedom is to put up the $90,000 non-refundable bond and skip town. That's a small price to pay for a life of freedom. There are places he could go where he would never be extradicted to the US.

I have a strong gut feeling he'll run too if he gets out on bail. I guess we'll have to see how much faith his mother has in him. If she has the wherewithal to make bond for him and doesn't, that will say a lot.
I like your thoughts in your first paragraph. The ADA giving him a chance to tell more lies is a prosecutor's dream and sooner or later the jury recognizes the lies and the liar will trip himself over and over. As NCS95 said in the BC trial--he's a lying liar who tells lies. Love it.
However, JY is so blasted arrogant he may not run, may get on the stand a second time, and think he has all his bases covered. I hope he's proven wrong.

GracieLee, I hope you are ok in Johnston County. Just saw that you guys had a horrific storm there about an hour ago....trees down, electrical outages, etc. I know this isn't the proper place to put this but please check in when you can. My Johnston Co. son is at Myrtle Beach and I don't know if I should make the trip there to check on his house or not. Sure hope you, your family, and your property are ok.

I have a strong gut feeling he'll run too if he gets out on bail. I guess we'll have to see how much faith his mother has in him. If she has the wherewithal to make bond for him and doesn't, that will say a lot.
I like your thoughts in your first paragraph. The ADA giving him a chance to tell more lies is a prosecutor's dream and sooner or later the jury recognizes the lies and the liar will trip himself over and over. As NCS95 said in the BC trial--he's a lying liar who tells lies. Love it.
However, JY is so blasted arrogant he may not run, may get on the stand a second time, and think he has all his bases covered. I hope he's proven wrong.

I too think that Jason's next move depends very much on his relationship with mother. If he wants to keep up the facade of an innocenti, he will ask her to put up the $900,000, return for trial, take the stand and, when convicted, will cry persecution for the remainder of his life ... all to keep his relationship with his mother intact (although I suspect she knows the truth). If he's willing to cut the apron strings, or admit to his mother that he's a murderer, he will ask her to gather up $90,000 and have bail posted by an independent. He'll then quietly plan his escape while his mother turns a blind eye, they'll tearfully say their forever goodbyes and he'll bolt.

I too think that Jason's next move depends very much on his relationship with mother. If he wants to keep up the facade of an innocenti, he will ask her to put up the $900,000, return for trial, take the stand and, when convicted, will cry persecution for the remainder of his life ... all to keep his relationship with his mother intact (although I suspect she knows the truth). If he's willing to cut the apron strings, or admit to his mother that he's a murderer, he will ask her to gather up $90,000 and have bail posted by an independent. He'll then quietly plan his escape while his mother turns a blind eye, they'll tearfully say their forever goodbyes and he'll bolt.

I too think his mother suspects the truth. I think she would do most anything to 'save' him--but if she puts her property up and he runs will she lose the property and house? I am not sure how that works--thankfully I've never had to be in a position to post bond for anybody.
If she refuses to put the property up then we won't have to ask ourselves any longer where her mindset it. She knows he did it--just as we all do.

One would hope that the family would give him one last taste of freedom between now and October. I too have no idea how bond works, but presumably people get it even if they are destitute ... but maybe not. I read today that Knox's parents applied for a home improvement loan so her stepfather could continue living in Italy and the family could pay for Knox's legal dream team. I guess some families will do anything for their children when it comes to murder. Maybe Jason's mom and sisters could sacrifice everything they've worked for so Jason can flee the jurisdiction. If I were in Jason's shoes, I would run.

One would hope that the family would give him one last taste of freedom between now and October. I too have no idea how bond works, but presumably people get it even if they are destitute ... but maybe not. I read today that Knox's parents applied for a home improvement loan so her stepfather could continue living in Italy and the family could pay for Knox's legal dream team. I guess some families will do anything for their children when it comes to murder. Maybe Jason's mom and sisters could sacrifice everything they've worked for so Jason can flee the jurisdiction. If I were in Jason's shoes, I would run.

I am not sure that one sister is willing to help him. She has pretty much been absent throughout this entire ordeal. The only thing that holds me back from a 100 percent feel that he will run is is own self-love, feeling of intelligence, and his arrogance. Since he 'won' the first time, I'm thinking he is thinking he will win the second time too. That's why it's so darn important that the right ADAs be assigned to retry him and I'm afraid it's not going to happen.
As badly as I disliked BC, I can honestly say I dislike JY 100 times more. I can't even stand to look at JY. He gives me the absolute creeps, he looks evil. Michelle Y. was such a beautiful young woman, intelligent, and what she saw in him is beyond me.

I am not sure that one sister is willing to help him. She has pretty much been absent throughout this entire ordeal. The only thing that holds me back from a 100 percent feel that he will run is is own self-love, feeling of intelligence, and his arrogance. Since he 'won' the first time, I'm thinking he is thinking he will win the second time too. That's why it's so darn important that the right ADAs be assigned to retry him and I'm afraid it's not going to happen.
As badly as I disliked BC, I can honestly say I dislike JY 100 times more. I can't even stand to look at JY. He gives me the absolute creeps, he looks evil. Michelle Y. was such a beautiful young woman, intelligent, and what she saw in him is beyond me.

Hard to predict ... Jason may indeed believe that he can be lucky twice. The argument about the gas was a good one, but if the prosecution lays it out properly, that argument will lose its impact. The prosecution focused too much on the fact that Jason wouldn't talk. That has to be completely removed from the argument because it's meaningless ... it can't be used against him and it gave him an easy defense of being afraid of persecution. I didn't believe the gas station attendant ... nothing about what she said matched Jason. All I got from that was that when police showed her a single photo depicting Jason, she said sure, that was the guy that swore at her ... the 5' tall guy.

I came across the Keith Ablow book about Scott Peterson the other day and was about to throw it away without reading it, but today I needed something to read. Keith is careful in how he words things, but I get the distinct impression that he also believes that women that marry men that murder have their own demons that lead them to these types of men. Laci's first boyfriend tried to murder another girlfriend, and then Scott did murder her. That's two for two. I understand that Michelle had her own demons because of her parent's divorce and who knows what else ... but there must have been some mix between Jason and Michelle that drew them together while perhaps simultaneously repulsing them.

The news said 'a tentative date' in October, so I'm wondering if that statement lends the possibility for a new prosecutor to join the team, with a possible continuence on the trial date?

I would hope so; and I doubt the retrial will actually begin in October. However, at least there will be a retrial!!!

MOO

I would hope so; and I doubt the retrial will actually begin in October. However, at least there will be a retrial!!!

MOO

What reason would there be for delay? Will Jason have a change of lawyer? I doubt the prosecution could request a delay.

Hard to predict ... Jason may indeed believe that he can be lucky twice. The argument about the gas was a good one, but if the prosecution lays it out properly, that argument will lose its impact. The prosecution focused too much on the fact that Jason wouldn't talk. That has to be completely removed from the argument because it's meaningless ... it can't be used against him and it gave him an easy defense of being afraid of persecution. I didn't believe the gas station attendant ... nothing about what she said matched Jason. All I got from that was that when police showed her a single photo depicting Jason, she said sure, that was the guy that swore at her ... the 5' tall guy.

I came across the Keith Ablow book about Scott Peterson the other day and was about to throw it away without reading it, but today I needed something to read. Keith is careful in how he words things, but I get the distinct impression that he also believes that women that marry men that murder have their own demons that lead them to these types of men. Laci's first boyfriend tried to murder another girlfriend, and then Scott did murder her. That's two for two. I understand that Michelle had her own demons because of her parent's divorce and who knows what else ... but there must have been some mix between Jason and Michelle that drew them together while perhaps simultaneously repulsing them.

Well said, all of it.

I'm sure JY's family is doing all they can to arrange bond. I hope it doesn't work out because I worry about other women he may come into contact with and form relationships with. If he is let out for an extended period of time, he will hurt someone else. JY is one scary man.

OT///The dismembered remains of Laura Ackerson have been found in Texas. Her ex and his wife have been charged. Makes me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname