Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr - Plea Agreement Hearing - March 2, 2016

Pardon me, but isn't that a bunch of BS?!?

ETA: to clarify-- it is BS JM said about sparing the families.

You're right, JM only did that to protect himself. Do you really think he cares for anyone else?

I have followed both of these murders from the time they were first reported missing.

There are heroes such as the Fairfax survivor and the woman from Galveston who called LE when she saw this monster on the beach and stayed there until police arrived. Bless them for their courage.

But it is heart wrenching to know that there were multiple occasions (especially with Hannah) where these young ladies could have been saved from this monster. Especially when you believe "he's going to f_ck her up" or when you hear her say she doesn't want to get in his car (and you just walk on...) I don't expect people to put themselves in danger, but couldn't they have for instance asked the young lady if she needed help, place a 911 call, etc.? I know I am being judgmental. So be it.

In situations such as this, I have heard others respond by saying you don't know what you would do..... I'm no hero but I can say that I would have done something. In fact, I have interceded in a dicey situation before on a stranger's behalf.

Hannah and Morgan's violent deaths were tragic enough. But this just makes me so sad.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not blaming any one individual, but there were multiple times during the night Hannah was killed when someone could have stepped in.

And I do know what I would have done because I've done it. Just a month or so ago I witnessed a scuffle in a restaurant parking lot and I hollered across the parking lot asking if one of them needed help. Main guy didn't answer me until I walked over and shouted it again. Turned out he was dealing (in effectively) with his son with autism. I stayed there until well after the police arrived because I have 25 years of experience working with folks with disabilities and I wasn't sure the police would know what to do with a teenager in full meltdown. The officer who responded was awesome though and knew exactly what to do and who to calm.

A little off topic, but I'm a firm believer in stepping up and speaking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more. I'm not blaming any one individual, but there were multiple times during the night Hannah was killed when someone could have stepped in.

And I do know what I would have done because I've done it. Just a month or so ago I witnessed a scuffle in a restaurant parking lot and I hollered across the parking lot asking if one of them needed help. Main guy didn't answer me until I walked over and shouted it again. Turned out he was dealing (in effectively) with his son with autism. I stayed there until well after the police arrived because I have 25 years of experience working with folks with disabilities and I wasn't sure the police would know what to do with a teenager in full meltdown. The officer who responded was awesome though and knew exactly what to do and who to calm.

A little off topic, but I'm a firm believer in stepping up and speaking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OTish,but in regards to Popcorn helping implicate Jesse Matthew, your screen name is both fitting, and hilarious.

After reading the documents about how the case would have been argued, one point remains forefront in my mind: the difference in timeline with the two victims. Jesse was unaccounted for between roughly 9:30PM and 11 on the night that Morgan was abducted. With Hannah, he abducted her shortly after 1AM, but he was not where he should be at 7:30AM the following day, and was off line for several additional hours.

The bodies were found roughly 18 miles from abduction site, so maybe a 20-30 minute drive one way.

That suggests that he spent about 40 minutes with Morgan, and hours with Hannah. Given the cuts to Hannah's jeans, and the injuries to her face, I think she put up a fierce struggle.

What is tremendously sad is that so many people observed Jesse with Hannah, recognized that something was wrong, and yet no one stepped in to help.

She should. She put herself in danger to make sure the killer didn't escape.

Hi Stillwater. I agree with you that the woman in Texas put herself in great danger. Knowing he was a wanted murderer and being in such close proximity to him.... Especially when he stopped his car in front of her earlier on the beach and leered at her as it was initially reported. I wish I could find that account... Very brave and observant gal who absolutely deserves that reward in my opinion also.

One of the articles mentioned earlier in this thread is misleading. Its says : "He will no longer face any chance of getting the death penalty, as he will no longer face a July capital murder trial for Graham's murder."

That may be true in Hannah Graham and Morgan Harringtons case but it does not exclude JM from the death penalty if other victims are found.

Im pretty angry right now. Justice has not been served IMO.

After the verdict and sentencing ( it was all done at the same time ) for my nieces murder trial , myself and another family member were leaving the courthouse together, it was late evening,they had kept us late ....a juror stopped us and offered his condolences , he told us that although he did not receive the death penalty, he felt it was deserved, but for us .to ." Just remember , justice was not served today in that courtroom, but will be served everyday and every night for the rest of his life , he will go to sleep and wake up in the same stinky cell in the same miserable place knowing what he did to put himself there and know that nothing is ever going to get him out of that miserable existence .He Will have to think about Kaitlin everyday because what he did to her is what put him there ."
Little did we know that just over a year later he would be charged with the murder of another young lady years before he ever met Kaitlin and thought he got away with it, but the DNA from Kaitlin's case when entered into CODIS matched him up with the DNA that was collected in that case...he ended up getting another life term for her murder , to run consecutively , I will never forget that juror approaching us and have never ever read much into how people try to figure out a jurors actions , as this particular juror was the subject of many lunches and long breaks and rides home,aawe just KNEW he was NOT paying attention and even accused him of sleeping during testimony.
Turns out he was very tuned in it was just his mannerisms to close his eyes and try to absorb all that was being said...he actually turned out to be a huge influence in that jury room when a couple of jurors got a little side tracked and questioned Kaitlin's character due to the testimony of the type of underwear she was wearing ...
He was a high school teacher and set those jurors straight that none of that had anything to do with him being guilty of her murder.
Anyway, my point being that although we sometimes wish for the death penalty, as he said , that would give him a time to look forward to as such in that he would finally have an escape from the hell that is prison life and would know that he will never, ever be free.
So although I'd like to see the Death Penalty handed down more often, I do think that a life sentence is a very fitting punishment ...no day to look forward to your release..just Father Time and Mother Nature calling the shots ...
the icing on the cake for us is the fact that AFTER he spends his life sentence for one murder, he has another one awaiting him...bwahaha !
I know it's disappointing,but he will be forced to think of these young ladies every day for the rest of his miserable existence ...and what he did to them to put him there...I think that's a pretty fitting punishment .
Then there's also the matter of all those lengthy appeals that are afforded one who is given the death penalty..most with court appointed attorneys that cost him not a penny....and the family having to show up and relive the nightmare all over agin every time there is a court appearance...that's tough...

With LWOP they get one appeal...at no expense...the attention they so often seek will soon end and he will be left alone in his cell, forgotten about by most except a few close family members who will likely eventually quit showing
Up as often on visiting day ....
I realize it is a bitter pill to swallow, but I have come to terms with it and can see both sides of the coin and feel there is good and bad with either one..
But...that's just my opinion...and don't think that I wouldn't love the have seen the day when our Kaitlin's murderer was put to death...but I know that he is living a life of hell stuck in a cell in a place that no matter the luxuries he is able to afford, he will never, ever be free to make his own choices of where to go, what to wear or eat...but most of all I rest assured that he will never ever hurt another young lady again in his miserable lifetime ....so I am good with Mr.Matthews receiving a few consecutive life sentences....
Mr. Matthews,they say that life is what you make it...this is your life, you reap what you sow....you are going to live exactly what you made of your life ...until they carry you out feet first, and I can live with that...

The death of Hannah Graham has nothing to do with any other murder except that of Morgan Harrington. Based on the timeline, it appears that Jesse Leroy Matthew wanted to abduct a young woman, but didn't yet know how to keep her alive after the abdution. When he abducted Morgan, she was dead within 1 hour of driving time and 1.5 hours of Jesse Matthew being away from work.

When Jesse Matthew abducted Hannah Graham, there is no question that he had mastered the art of abducting a random woman, spending a lot of time with her, and getting away with it.

He was arrested after the abduction of Hannah Graham, but he was so brazen by then that he abducted her with ample witnesses and surveillance video.

What happened before and between Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham that he became so brazen?

Hi Stillwater. I agree with you that the woman in Texas put herself in great danger. Knowing he was a wanted murderer and being in such close proximity to him.... Especially when he stopped his car in front of her earlier on the beach and leered at her as it was initially reported. I wish I could find that account... Very brave and observant gal who absolutely deserves that reward in my opinion also.
BBM

I, too, feel this lady is so deserving of the reward! Here is one link to an article and video:

http://wtvr.com/2015/05/05/karen-monk-jesse-matthew/#

Missed this happening in real time. I only hope he can see how much hurt and pain he caused although I'm not sure he has even the slightest capacity to understand that, but, if there are other victims out there(which is very likely IMO) he can find a decent part of his soul and tell the truth. Either way, he will rot away forever. Maybe one day he will decide he prefers death and confess to more in hopes of getting the death penalty.

The death of Hannah Graham has nothing to do with any other murder except that of Morgan Harrington. Based on the timeline, it appears that Jesse Leroy Matthew wanted to abduct a young woman, but didn't yet know how to keep her alive after the abdution. When he abducted Morgan, she was dead within 1 hour of driving time and 1.5 hours of Jesse Matthew being away from work.

When Jesse Matthew abducted Hannah Graham, there is no question that he had mastered the art of abducting a random woman, spending a lot of time with her, and getting away with it.

He was arrested after the abduction of Hannah Graham, but he was so brazen by then that he abducted her with ample witnesses and surveillance video.

What happened before and between Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham that he became so brazen?

Remember he had been raping for years. He had gotten away with murder, so I guess he thought he was bullet proof. Here is an article talking about how both Morgan and Hannah fought back.
http://wtvr.com/2016/03/03/the-key-piece-of-evidence-police-found-on-jesse-matthews-bedroom-floor/

H

I personally , along with others do not believe these young ladies were his only victims...but that's just my opinion...

Remember he had been raping for years. He had gotten away with murder, so I guess he thought he was bullet proof. Here is an article talking about how both Morgan and Hannah fought back.
http://wtvr.com/2016/03/03/the-key-piece-of-evidence-police-found-on-jesse-matthews-bedroom-floor/

Thank you for the link collette! There's so much information to absorb but it's great to have this timeline to refresh my memory.

A fellow sleuth found that JM also played Semi-pro football for a team in VA after his college FB career ended. She/He posted the team's schedule and roster. I recall there was an away game on L.I., NY and others cities on east coast. It was a long time ago and I can't recall who posted it but I sure wish that person or anyone who remembers will come forward so we can add to the timeline. We could look for any unsolved cases with the same MO where JM traveled during this time and rule possibilites in or out. JMO

I don't want this seem like victim-blaming but I think we can always learn from these stories. I think JM targeted Hannah, not only because she was alone, but because, for whatever reason, she was not going to speak up. Women are always taught that we need to be "nice". Did alcohol effect Hannah's actions that night? Yes. But she still knew that JM was trouble---she didn't want to get into his car and she tried to lose him during the night. This was not a case of a drunk girl who thought she met her new BFF. I think Hannah was very scared but didn't know what to do. Should she start screaming? Should she go up to random person and say, um, hey there is guy creeping me out? I think Hannah got drinks with JM and walked arm with arm with him because she thought if she was "nice" to him, he would leave her alone. She was the perfect victim for JM---alone, intoxicated, and willing to play "nice" with him. It says that at Tempo, another guy offered to buy Hannah a drink, and JM refused for her. That's an insane amount of control he had over her. I don't even think he had to threaten her---he just relied on her being too afraid to speak up. In the documents, it says that when he was confronted by someone about his sexual harassment of women, he left the bar. I can't help but note that it wasn't until JM and Hannah were at his car when Hannah became vocal. Before that, I think she got an extreme creep vibe from JM but since he didn't actually threaten her, she probably thought if she played "nice", he would go away. It wasn't until they were at his car was when she realized that her life was in danger.

There is also a lot of talk about how the witnesses should have done something---but I wonder if the witness offering to buy Hannah a drink at Tempo was their way of being like "Hey, if this guy is making you uncomfortable, you can hang with us?" Should they have done more? Sure. But I feel like neither Hannah nor the people who witnessed JM and Hannah that night knew what to do. Hannah was getting a drink and walking arm and arm with JM! Notice how different his behavior is with Hannah compared to the women he was sexually harassing before. With Hannah, they're getting drinks together---with the other women, he's touching their feet and their butt. And when people saw that type of behavior, they spoke up, so he knew that had to be more subtle when he found the victim he was going to abduct.

Respectfully bolded by me.

I think your above sentence should be appended with the words "that we know of at this time."

There has been strong suspicion of a serial killer, or multiple serial killers working the route 29 corridor.

Other sleuthers here have also asked if JLM could be tied to murders in Lynchburg and Newport News. We do know that JLM was accused of rape in Lynchburg and more than likely Christopher Newport University as well.

Both of those were in a school setting and resulted in JLM being kicked out of school/off the football team.

Somehow I doubt that he went dormant during the intervening years. His attack on the woman in Fairfax seems to back that up as well.

Respectfully bolded by me.

I think your above sentence should be appended with the words "that we know of at this time."

There has been strong suspicion of a serial killer, or multiple serial killers working the route 29 corridor.

Other sleuthers here have also asked if JLM could be tied to murders in Lynchburg and Newport News. We do know that JLM was accused of rape in Lynchburg and more than likely Christopher Newport University as well.

Both of those were in a school setting and resulted in JLM being kicked out of school/off the football team.

Somehow I doubt that he went dormant during the intervening years. His attack on the woman in Fairfax seems to back that up as well.

Again, yes.
No reason to think there are not other possible victims,,,. Other than what we think?

JLM: Other Possible Victims ;
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?258434-JLM-Other-Possible-Victims-2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back