John Travolta's son, autism and Scientology

What I found sad was, in the more recent photos, there are only a few of Jett but many of Ella.

I noticed that, too. I've been digging for a little bit here, and can't find any recent pictures of Jett at all. I'll keep looking...

Here's what I found on Kawasaki's disease. I was hoping to see that it might be similar to Autism -

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/medical/heart/kawasaki.html

SNIP -
Kawasaki Disease is an illness that involves the skin, mouth, and lymph nodes, and typically affects children who are under the age of 5. The cause of Kawasaki Disease is unknown, but if the symptoms are recognized early, kids with the disease can fully recover within a few days. If it goes untreated, it can lead to serious complications that can involve the heart.
Kawasaki disease occurs in 19 out of every 100,000 kids in the United States. It is most common among children of Japanese and Korean descent, but the illness can affect all ethnic groups.
This illness can't be prevented, but you can help your child by learning the telltale symptoms and signs, which typically include a fever that lasts for at least 5 days, red eyes, a body rash and severely-chapped lips and mouth. If your child shows these symptoms it's a good idea to call the doctor.
Signs and Symptoms of Kawasaki Disease

The symptoms of Kawasaki Disease typically appear in phases.
The first phase, which can last for up to 2 weeks, usually involves a persistent fever that is higher than 104 degrees Fahrenheit (39 degrees Celsius), and lasts for at least 5 days. The other symptoms that typically develop include:
  • severe redness in the eyes
  • a rash on the child's stomach, chest, and genitals
  • red, dry, cracked lips
  • swollen tongue with a white coating and big red bumps
  • sore, irritated throat
  • swollen palms of the hands and soles of the feet with a purple-red color
  • swollen lymph nodes
During the second phase of the illness, which usually begins within two weeks of when the fever first begins, the skin on the child's hands and feet may begin to peel in large pieces. The child may also experience joint pain, diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain.

Perhaps I am looking too deeply into it and viewing what they are doing, and the excuses they appear to be making, as not doing what is in the best interest of their child. Kawasaki's Disease and Autism seem to have not one common thread. Someone must be seeing something somewhere for this to come to light.

:truce:

There is no treatment for autism.
I am no fan of the crazy church of scientology but as the parent of a autistic child I have a HUGE issue with the neighbors (who do not have an autistic child) judging those who do.
I don't think this has a thing to do with their religion.
Who the hell are these people to critisize however the Travolta's raise their disabled child?
There are few childhood issues as difficult as a autistic child hitting puberty.
Anyone who has watched the movie Rainman knows that part of the disorder of autisim involves obsessing over certain tv shows as well as other things.

They say he has Kawaski's Disease and Kelly discusses a little here what she's done.

http://www.cultnews.com/archives/000031.html

With his diagnosis with kawasaki disease he was taken to the hospital at 15 months old and drs said it was that. However it shouldn't be causing him suffering now, the only thing that sparked for me is kawasaki disease is an autoimmune disorder and new studies suggest autism is also. When you have one autoimmune disorder you are predisposed to others. Inflammation can trigger them and gluten and casein trigger inflammation. He might have it but I still dont think its right to call it abuse just because they might take other measures. My neighbor doesnt know near enough about me to dictate what I do on a day to day basis I cant imagine theirs does either.

Im definitely not agreeing with scientology's theories. Trust me, I dont agree with them at all but I have a hard time believing they would not feed him nutritious foods since scientology believes in taking care of the body through proper nutrition and food.

I have a hard time believing the whole thing since I have only ever seen Kelly & John being attentive and loving parents.

There is no treatment for autism, but simple recognition of it existing and looking into it is another thing.

I've tried reading about Scientology and have yet to ever see the word "God" in anything having to do with it. So, I'm not really sure how they can call it a "religion."
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back in the day when I could stand watching Oprah, I saw Kelly Preston on the show and she was talking about her son being affected by the chemicals used on golf course maintenance. I guess that's what she's blaming for her son's "problems.":bang:

Edited to add that I'm not sure if its true or not. I thought the author of the article in that link seemed to have some sort of bug up his butt about them for some reason. It seemed pretty personal. If the author was trying to "get the word out," she/he should have left the bitterness out of the article.

She also blamed it on chemicals from a carpet cleaning solution. Go figure. :)

I have no idea whether or not this is true. I had never heard it before. Travolta is a constant target due to his Scientology association, so who knows.

Child abuse? Please. If their son has autism, it is absolutely within their rights as loving parents to handle it as they see fit and without necessarily following what we as a society thinks is the "best" course of treatment for autism for a child we don't even know.

They've always seemed like dedicated partners and parents to me.

Agreed. Um, what exactly is this treatment for autism that they are not providing? As a parent with a child with autism and active in the special education field I would love to know. So would the parents that I deal with that have autistic kids.

Most of the time you are given an autism spectrum diagnosis and not given any kind of direction where to go with it especially if the child is high functioning. Other than modifications to their education there is not a lot else done. There are some therapies out there but they are experimental at best, very $$$ and not covered by insurance. When my sons neuro-psychiatrist wanted to treat my son with some therapy for some of his problems the medical insurance would not cover it (of course) and our mental health insurance said they would not cover it because his problems stemmed from his autism and autism (in their book)fell under the same category as weight loss programs and programs to quit smoking :banghead: .

Most parents with autistic kids don't know what to do because there is no set treatment when you get a diagnosis for AS. Maybe when there is more research this will change but right now I don't know what these neighbors think they should be doing. Especially since they have no idea what that Travoltas sons diagnosis is, if he even has one (which is none of their business if he does) and the autism spectrum is a huge spectrum that includes very high functioning kids. Other than showing up at their events and helping raise money, of course, which IMO that is up to the Travoltas and not their responsibility even if they do have a child with Autism. JMHO.

I hope and pray this rumor is not true!! How absolulty awful.
I believe if this is true it is child neglect. I am the aunt to a profoundly
autistic 8 yr old and an 11 yr old with PDD. My 8 year old nephew was diagnosed at the age of 2.5 and today at 8, he has a vocabulary of about 200 words. He does not converese but can use individual words and a word board to communicate. He can sight read about 300 words. He is able to communicate with a world that is very confusing for him. Thanks to his loving parents and all the theropy he is not locked in his own world self stimming all day long and unable to communicate. He will need life long care but he will have a happy life and be able to participate in this world. He will have the skills to work at an approprite job and most importantly he has a voice. Imagine going into a restrauant and being totally unable to say I want soup? My nephew can look at a menu and read the food words and make a choice. If Jett Travolta is not verbal at this point in his life he has been robbed of the voice he does have. This is criminal to me. I do not view a child as a possesion to be taken care of how parents seem fit: but as a treasure to be loved, cherished and nutred by its parents. In the same way a child needs to be proved food, clothing and shelter I belive medical care is essential and if this rumor is true this child has been depriped of medical care that will not have a terrible impact on the rest of his life. How horrible.

mjak

In very short, my issue is this -

Not believing that your child has a disorder because your beliefs tell you it does not exist.

Treatment aside, that is the issue. There is no treatment, no discussion, no research, no nothing, if you don't believe in the disorder.

Not believing that your child has a disorder because your beliefs tell you it does not exist.

Treatment aside, that is the issue. There is no treatment, no discussion, no research, no nothing, if you don't believe in the disorder.

I do agree with that :) I personally have issues with the medical field being so behind the times on certain things but if I had a kid who did have autism you bet I would try everything I could to help them.

I don't understand how they could ignore their child being autistic.
I don't care what their religion teaches, its simply not something that can be ignored.
Maybe they choose to not call it autisim but the fact is that the symptoms are the same and how they are handled are the same whatever label they give it.

I have a hard time believing the whole thing since I have only ever seen Kelly & John being attentive and loving parents.

There is no treatment for autism, but simple recognition of it existing and looking into it is another thing.

I hear you. But for all we know, they have and are doing things their own way and not becoming a "poster board" for autism. I respect that.

There is no treatment for autism.
I am no fan of the crazy church of scientology but as the parent of a autistic child I have a HUGE issue with the neighbors (who do not have an autistic child) judging those who do.
I don't think this has a thing to do with their religion.
Who the hell are these people to critisize however the Travolta's raise their disabled child?
There are few childhood issues as difficult as a autistic child hitting puberty.
Anyone who has watched the movie Rainman knows that part of the disorder of autisim involves obsessing over certain tv shows as well as other things.

:clap: :clap: Bravo.

I know also that autistic children are sometime prone to wandering away, quicker than you can blink. I've seen nothing in those articles that states they've seen Jett in any kind of immenent danger or causing havoc.

What I'm trying to understand is, if they talk in this interview about how John has bowed out of fundraising efforts in his area and has been generally aloof, how the heck do they know what is going on inside his home? I'm sure any house staff has signed a confidentiality agreement.

Is Gladys Kravitz alive and well and living in South Florida?

How do the neighbors know for sure that he is autistic, if he hasn't been diagnosed?

I read the above link - "The latest news about Kawasaki disease", and it says they are leaning away from carpet chemicals as a cause, and more toward an infectious agent.

It says the heart can be affected, but nothing about Kawasaki causing autism. It could be that with his high fever for several days, that his brain was affected. Does he go to school? If so, seems like he would be receiving some kind of help. Maybe he's home schooled.

I would like to know how the neighbors know that he is autistic.

That is a good point about it effecting the brain. I think all the people who claim Jett has autism, IMO, it seems like pure speculation. It would be interesting to hear something from Kelly & John about it and why it's not autism. I don't think they've ever spoken openly about the rumors.

:clap: :clap: Bravo.

I know also that autistic children are sometime prone to wandering away, quicker than you can blink. I've seen nothing in those articles that states they've seen Jett in any kind of immenent danger or causing havoc.

What I'm trying to understand is, if they talk in this interview about how John has bowed out of fundraising efforts in his area and has been generally aloof, how the heck do they know what is going on inside his home? I'm sure any house staff has signed a confidentiality agreement.

Is Gladys Kravitz alive and well and living in South Florida?

That happend to us... I awoke one morning and Richie was gone.
We lived on the farm we owned in the middle of nowhere and he just woke up and went for a walk.
I have never been so hysterical in my entire life.

Gladys Kravitz?? From Bewitched?

I honestly do not believe what has been reported can be accurate.
The Travoltas may not be willing to accept a diagnosis of autisum because of religious ( okay or in this case cult) believes; but, I can not believe they would do nothing to address his disabilities. If he is not verbal I can not believe they have not tired avenues to teach him speech. A parent of course has the right to make decisions for their child but I do think it is neglect if a child has a serious physicall handicapp such as the inability to speak and the parents do not make use of any of the many therapies out there. The world is a tough enough place I bleive parents have an obligiation to help any child to the best of the parents ability to address such a serious handicapp.

mjak

I don't understand how they could ignore their child being autistic.
I don't care what their religion teaches, its simply not something that can be ignored.
Maybe they choose to not call it autisim but the fact is that the symptoms are the same and how they are handled are the same whatever label they give it.

Unless the parents themsevles are autistic there is no way they can ignore the fact there child is autistic to the degree calimed in the article. The article claims Jett is non verbal. The do not have to say he is autistic. Call it whatever is okay with them, just get him help so he can learn some language and skills and have the best life he can possible have.

mjak

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back