John Travolta's son, autism and Scientology

What I found sad was, in the more recent photos, there are only a few of Jett but many of Ella.

I agree. Jett has gotten fatter. Something is not quite right. I can't put my finger on it, though.

BTW, I do not believe that Scientology is a religion. I think that it is a cult run by a bunch of nuts.

Gladys Kravitz?? From Bewitched?

The one and only. Gotta love a neighbor with binoculars.

(Very OT, the one night here in our neighborhood that it got hot enough to close the windows was the one night that there was a domestic across the street from us. Ex-GF showed up, current GF had a fit, current GF drove over a now limping and soon to be ex-BF's foot in her getaway. )

I have to add my 2 cents on this subject.
My son has an autism spectrum called Pervausive development disorder. He was always a little different when he was little, finally he was diagnosed and while your all right in the there is no treatment, there is ways to improve the quality of life. while we do not know if Jett has or is autistic or to what degree, there are ways to teach them to learn things. My son is now 15 and if I didnt tell you he has a spectrum you would never know it. He is just a bit quirky, and his brain works differently then others but what matters is he has been taught how to learn things, how to over come his disability. He will lead a fairly normal life. He is a Tv, and playstation junkie. He can tell you just about any song any head banging group plays when he hears it, he can tell you about movies he watched years ago, he can read which we were told he would never be able to do but he cannot recite the alphabet. he also has taken Ta kwan do, and this summer we are hopng to get him certified to scuba dive. Jake is a loner and probably always will be. Its part of the spectrum. while he has friends he doesnt have close friends that he hangs with after school. I could disappear tomorrow and it wouldnt phase him a bit, again its the spectrum.
If Jett truly is autistic then taking him to outings could be a tremendous ordeal for Jett himself. If autistic and depending on the kind of autism he has if he does, change of environment does not set well with some autistic people. Routine is the key for most autistic children.
From the looks of Jett in some of the pictures he looks alot like my son did when he was younger, if you noticed, he didnt look into the camera much or at anyone. My son was the same way when he was younger. My son would smile just like Jett in a few of the pictures but if you look into his eyes in some of the pictures he seems lost. My son had the same look for years!!!
He isnt like that now but its a good sign Jett may well have an autistic spectrum.

In very short, my issue is this -

Not believing that your child has a disorder because your beliefs tell you it does not exist.

Treatment aside, that is the issue. There is no treatment, no discussion, no research, no nothing, if you don't believe in the disorder.

I completely agree with this.

I just don't even begin to understand this religion or how people fall into this. Most people want what's best for their children and would go to the ends of the earth to find out what's wrong, and what treatments are out there.

I have to add my 2 cents on this subject.
My son has an autism spectrum called Pervausive development disorder. ...He isnt like that now but its a good sign Jett may well have an autistic spectrum.
Interesting post. It sounds like your son is doing well. Is he is regular school?

Wow, looking at those pictures Jett really changed. He was really skinny about age 9 or 10; now he is obese. That may be true that he just sits and eats junk food.

Also, did Scientology not approve of getting him braces? He does look like he has emotional issues.

The daughter is gorgeous!

I remember reading an article or something that was basically interviews with some former Hubbard chronies. Now certainly you could write it off as sour grapes by people who broke away from the cult, but basically they said Hubbard admitted making a lot of his "beliefs" up and revising as he went along. I had gotten one of his books at a yard sale, but before I ever got into it, I read these interviews and wound up never reading Hubbard's book because it sounded too convincing that he was no different then any other cult leader and all he cared about was getting rich.

And most of the celebs who promote Scientology are oddballs in my opinion.

Interesting post. It sounds like your son is doing well. Is he is regular school?
He attends regular school but has been in special ed since 1st grade.
We started reducing his help in class two years ago. I felt he was using his disability to not have to do so much in class. Once we backed off he picked up his learning skills and has really come along way on his own, I think due mainly to not wanting to be "different" to his peers. He is doing ok (he's passing) in everything except Reading. Next year when he goes to high school he will have one class dedicated to helping him with his other classes.
His spectrum is difficult as he is in those teenage years and its hard to tell whats normal teenage rebellion or if sometimes he truly doesnt get something. so we are still learning and it changes constantly.

I don't know anything about this, so I don't want to comment. But, I was looking around after reading this, and I found a page of pictures of them with Jett and Ella http://celebroyaltykids.web-log.nl/royalty_celeb_kids/celebkids_jett_ella_travolta/index.html This page goes up to 2005, and I haven't seen any more recent pictures of either of them.

Just bein' nosey.
--nice pictures--Ella Travolta is a sweetheart--Luckily,she inherited her mother's looks instead of Travolta's

I think Scientology would not be so controversial if they'd present themselves more as a "whole mind & body healt regime" as opposed to religion. While I'm not well versed on the practices, there is quite a bit of clearing the mind, healthy lifestyle to it. And of course there were some off shoot branches that were associated with some of Manson's folks so that sure didn't help them. Not saying Scientologists are Satanists, but there have been some rogue off shoots that were in to a lot of creepy stuff.

I think Scientology would not be so controversial if they'd present themselves more as a "whole mind & body healt regime" as opposed to religion. While I'm not well versed on the practices, there is quite a bit of clearing the mind, healthy lifestyle to it. And of course there were some off shoot branches that were associated with some of Manson's folks so that sure didn't help them. Not saying Scientologists are Satanists, but there have been some rogue off shoots that were in to a lot of creepy stuff.

As there have been in the Christian Church.

Here's where I elaborate on my previous statement. From Dictionary.com, the definition of Cult -

1.a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2.an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3.the object of such devotion.
4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5.Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6.a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7.the members of such a religion or sect.
8.any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

I view Christianity the same as I view Scientology. Whether or not a "God" is involved, it is a cult.
It would be fine if the Scientology folks were Satanists, they would probably be more normal. We all have a little bit of Satanism in us. The basis behind Satanism isn't all dark and evil, it's how you live your life. Although I am not religious at all, I would fall more into the Satanist category because I live my life for me, for my family. I don't take care of my body 100% of the time by eating the healthiest foods, and I don't follow a set of rules defined by a religion. Satanism isn't about murder and mayhem, it's about worshipping yourself.
Sorry to get off track, just wanted to clear that up.

Wow, looking at those pictures Jett really changed. He was really skinny about age 9 or 10; now he is obese. That may be true that he just sits and eats junk food.

Also, did Scientology not approve of getting him braces? He does look like he has emotional issues.

The daughter is gorgeous!

Where are you finding the pics, Martha? When I google I can't find any. I can't get personal pages at work.

Eve

You can do Google, choose images only, and search Jett Travolta.

I get so tired of other people imposing their beliefs on parents of disabled children.

The coach and his wife on my daughter's t-ball team are very nice people. One of the other parents says their child is autistic, hoping to explain her antics on the field. The coach and his wife asked ME what I thought about it because of my daughter. They think it's just "bad parenting". I almost threw up when I heard them say that. I explained that there are so many different levels of "autism" and that they should probably work with the child's parents to see what helps her.

I feel the same here on this thread. We don't know what is really going on in the Travolta family. Right now, it's just hurtful gossip. (I mean, in general, not against any fellow posters here.)

That was an interesting take on it. I don't doubt that he had Kawasaki's disease, but something else creeped in there along the way too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back