Judge Orders Bush Administration to Resume Paying for Katrina Housing

BhamMama said:
It's complicated. New Orleans JUST gave out the new building codes around a month ago. Folks were in limbo until then. Plus you now have to wait for contractors, honest ones that is, who will take time out of building new homes to raise your home. Then you have to wait for supplies. We don't have a walmart on every corner anymore. We are lucky if the walmart stays open past 10 pm these days. Everything is at a premium. If you see it, grab it, it might be days before you see it again. Add in the gas hike has made suppliers up their prices and passed it on to you in the form of higher concrete, higher wages and machinery. There use to be some free programs where you could borrow tools, Mississippi had a great plan for that. The federal government told them to stop loaning tools. ??????

They just sent out the LRA letters and you have to go through a process of three letters, many of them wrong. Fix that, wait for three more letters. In the meantime you are fixing your house with your 401K or with a small loan. The money they will give you in the Road Back Home Project is based on a lower than what you paid to fix your home formula. They are suppose to give an amount of what the difference is between what insurance paid and what you actually put out to fix your home. Many now have no savings at all because what money they do get has to go towards fixing your house. Good luck finding insurance for less than 1300-2600 a year. And that's based on if you are in flood plain A, B or C. In a total flood plain....even if it never was before, you can't get covered.

Now, you have your permit/s, you have your contractor, you've paid out the ying yang for supplies. They work on your house for a total of 44 days then take off. You can't have the walls put up or the floor laid until they inspect and write off on the electric lines. 68 days later they show up to do the walls to find out the inspector hasn't come by yet. Calls go unanswered. Contractor goes away again for 40+ days....on and on for 15 friggin months. Yet, my friend is still living in a trailer in her driveway with no walls at all up inside.

They have given a deadline of Dec 31 to have your house inspected for building. If not, they take your trailer and you are out in the street. So, how do you get them to work faster? Pay them more? Beg? Work until 2 am every night after you work a full time job? All of that.

Folks, we still don't have street signs in some places, some don't have gas on a reg basis, traffic lights don't always work. I'm now 35 miles from NO and it effects me every day, I can only imagine what my friends in Kenner, LaPlace and surrounding areas have to deal with. They aren't even in the worst hit areas.

People are helping themselves. From the old men who walk with canes but climb ladders, to corporate offices forming teams to help fellow employees to Churchs and friends. Those that are here are invested.

A better question might be, why are hundreds, if not thousands of FEMA trailers sitting empty in Lumberton, Mississippi and in Arkansas still? How much are we paying for lot rent on them? What are they gonna do with them? Why are people still living in tents if there are trailers there?

Did you know if your car was flooded and sitting in your driveway you still have to prove you own it before they'll give you a place to sleep? Papers in the car, court houses, dealerships or houses were destroyed. The cars are a total wash, yet the city won't remove them. They are covered in mold, smell to the high heavens, harbor skeeters and rats and sometimes snakes. They are a health hazard. If you are lucky you get mail service and they'll hopefully get to you in time. If not, well, hope you find a place to shower and live in tents or with friends.

There are many, many things going on down here. People sitting on their butts is not one of them. Total amount of money given us, $1000 dollars and a FEMA trailer from Jan of this year to Nov of this year. To allow my entire family to live in one state again we are paying 3 times pre katrina rent and are 45 mins away, which turns into 1 hour and 25 mins when it's foggy or they are working on a bridge or for whatever reason.

I'm not bitter, but I'm tired of people saying help yourselves when that's all you can do.

And for as messed up as NO and east of NO is, Mississippi is ten times worse.

It's nice to hear from someone who really knows the situation and has compassion and understanding.

You're right, it's COMPLICATED. Few of us know the exact ins and outs of the situation.

All I know is I have a new friend, just had moved into her house in Lake Ponchetrain, totally wiped out; her family looked all around the country and chose HERE to relocate to. She's always lived in Louisiana, her name is LaGasse (not related to Emeril), cute as can be, they totally MISS THEIR HOME, New Orleans, didn't know anyone here, but they'll NEVER go back.

She was fortunate enough to have the means to relocate; I'm not sure if she had flood insurance or not, I'll have to ask her.

Don't criticize until you've walked in another man's shoes...... IMO

BhamMama,
I appreciate your willingness to tell us about what reality is like for many down there. It has got to be mindblowing, of which I can't even really grasp. Continued hugs and good wishes to your family to remain strong throughout this life-changing event....

Yet, I can see both sides.

To others,

Just how long is "long enough?" There DOES have to be an end at some point.

For those of you who think it's reasonable to be paying housing costs after 18 months, I'm interested...what do you feel is fair - how many months? (Since you can't tell tone or inflection through my typed words, it's very neutral, I'm just interested in hearing what people think is fair and reasonable. I, myself, don't have a set number of months in my head.)

I DO wish they'd figure out how to get those remaining trailers out and actually used by people who would benefit from them. To be sitting in a lot is just insane, and such a waste.

ETA: Our agency has hired a former NOPD officer who was displaced after the hurricane. His family evacuated (3 yr old girl and mom was pregnant at the time) and our agency helped them through their transition. LE agency helping a LE officer's family. He then applied to our agency and just completed training, reported to work here in our District on 10/9/06! We're thrilled to have him and his family in our "family" now.

2sisters said:
How can you expect people to ever get back on thier feet when you enable them and make it easier to not be home by handing out money non stop? This was a huge disater but it has been over a year. I have been to hancock and harrison counties in MS a few times and there are houses rebuilt and being lived in and life is getting closer to normal everyday. why is new orleans so different? why can't they get it together?
IMO, the ugly truth is that some New Orleanians have sat back and collected most of their lives...that is what they know how to do. I mean look at all the people who were on TV after the hurricane complaining that FEMA didn't do this and the government dropped the ball on that....Now complaining that their payments for free housing is about to stop...OMG...does someone owe these people? Am I missing something? This might be an ignorant question, but where does FEMA get it's funding from?? Please don't say our taxes.....
I don't mean to sound "mean" (because I'm all for helping people get back on their feet) but it chaps my ( I ) that some people always expect a free ride!!

czechmate7 said:
IMO, the ugly truth is that some New Orleanians have sat back and collected most of their lives...that is what they know how to do. I mean look at all the people who were on TV after the hurricane complaining that FEMA didn't do this and the government dropped the ball on that....Now complaining that their payments for free housing is about to stop...OMG...does someone owe these people? Am I missing something? This might be an ignorant question, but where does FEMA get it's funding from?? Please don't say our taxes.....
I don't mean to sound "mean" (because I'm all for helping people get back on their feet) but it chaps my ( I ) that some people always expect a free ride!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

czechmate7 said:

Yes, you've made some very good points.

And what about smaller communities in the past...and unfortunately, in the future...whereby tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc. happen - won't those people now feel that they deserve continued housing assistance, etc.? Why is their loss any different than this? To them, it's just as devastating...others before have lost ALL. (Okay, I'll "give" that this one did have events that were screwed up by all levels of gov't, IMO.)

There's not an easy answer, is there?

DEPUTYDAWG said:
BhamMama,
I appreciate your willingness to tell us about what reality is like for many down there. It has got to be mindblowing, of which I can't even really grasp. Continued hugs and good wishes to your family to remain strong throughout this life-changing event....

Yet, I can see both sides.

To others,

Just how long is "long enough?" There DOES have to be an end at some point.

For those of you who think it's reasonable to be paying housing costs after 18 months, I'm interested...what do you feel is fair - how many months? (Since you can't tell tone or inflection through my typed words, it's very neutral, I'm just interested in hearing what people think is fair and reasonable. I, myself, don't have a set number of months in my head.)

I DO wish they'd figure out how to get those remaining trailers out and actually used by people who would benefit from them. To be sitting in a lot is just insane, and such a waste.

ETA: Our agency has hired a former NOPD officer who was displaced after the hurricane. His family evacuated (3 yr old girl and mom was pregnant at the time) and our agency helped them through their transition. LE agency helping a LE officer's family. He then applied to our agency and just completed training, reported to work here in our District on 10/9/06! We're thrilled to have him and his family in our "family" now.

I think the Judge was ruling more on the legality of the PROCESS FEMA used in this case; not making a judgment on whether it's right or wrong to continue supporting them.

I have not idea what length of time is fair, but do we want them out on the streets committing crimes? I know that's what's happened in Houston especially; don't know about Baton Rouge but I know Baton Rouge is totally changed.

Wouldn't it be better to job-train, give money to New Orleans to put these people back into their homes? Of course I know there are some programs like this, homes are being built for the musicians who were displaced; I think I saw Brad Pitt working with that program.

Is it cheaper to pay for the trailers or new prisons? Our prisons are already overloaded and growing by leaps and bounds.

Like I say, I don't really know the situation and if they've had any help with job training or relocation.

czechmate7 said:
you have hit the nail right on the head.

Marthatex said:
You cannot even begin to compare the situations in Alabama and Mississippi with that of New Orleans.

One is a huge natural disaster, partly from a devastating hurricane in addition to the failing of the levees, and flooding of a huge lake, Lake Ponchertrain.

apples to oranges, apples to oranges

Of course local government should do what they are equipped to , but FEMA , is just that, FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANGAGEMENT.
As I clearly said, I don't know what the laws are for reimbursement for housing; the Federal Courts do and I guess they've stated their opinion.

As Nova pointed out, compare supporting those displaced by Katrina and helping them get started again with the monumental amounts we're pouring down the drain elsewhere.

It's tiddlywinks. But I'm sure you should write your local governments if you have some suggestions to help with this major American Tragedy.
I recently took time to visit and help in Mississippi. They are in WAY worse shape that N.O! I know this for a fact. I have seen it first hand. :(

BhamMama said:
Martha, sadly, there are parts of Mississippi that is just gone, wiped out totally. It's one thing to see it on tv, quite another to stand on beaches you use to play on and see nothing, no people, no houses, just debris and signs warning you to not get in the water because of hurricane debris.

It was heartbreaking.
Exactly! :( :( :( It is heartbreaking!

deandaniellws said:
I recently took time to visit and help in Mississippi. They are in WAY worse shape that N.O! I know this for a fact. I have seen it first hand. :(
nobody else sees that though b/c on the news all you hear is new orleans this and new orleans that. my husband and i drove highway 90 one day to the AL line and i can't put into words what i saw. we live 45 min. north of hancock co. and have been a few times since katrina and see progress every time we go. give it another year and i think the MS coast will be back on their feet. thats what happens when you rely on yourself and not the government b/c the government will dissappoint you most of the time.

czechmate7 said:

Many of the poor New Orleans' were menial employees - housekeepers in the many hotels, cooks, musicians, dancers, waiters, waitresses, whatever - the entertainment industry was huge in New Orelean.

They were poor, but they lived with their large families and were happy and barely made ends meet.

Others of course were on drugs, in dire poverty, criminals. I'm sure these people were on medicaid, food stamps, etc. As I recall we had Welfare Reform a while back, that reduced "hand-outs" to people who don't deserve them.

New Orleans was/is a major port, commercial center in our country and also cultural/historical center; it's just a shame there isn't the money or brainpower to design and rebuild it as it should be.

It's nothing like trying to help a small town rebuild.

Cypros said:
The Katrina hurricane was only 15 months ago.
And there is still so much negative energy toward the people who lost their homes. Still so much concentrating on the "ripped off" feeling of those who were NOT affected.

The wounds of this hurricane go way beyond the physical damage that was caused.

Bush 43 governs under the considerable shadow of conservative icon Ronald Reagan, who famously said in his 2001 inauguration speech, "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." Bush 43's inept embrace of Reagan's maxim has resulted in the literally deadly combination of negligent government and record government debt. The negligence continues to hamper the effort to repair New Orleans and other Katrina-damaged communities.

The debt, a product of the billions poured into the Iraq misadventure and wrongheaded tax cuts, drains capital -- both financial and political -- away from housing, education and other pressing needs. But, perhaps most importantly, the conservative ideology that says we are not each others' keeper -- and yet applauds as government fiercely defends the interests of those who have the most -- has brought us to where we are today: To a Gulf Coast where the old inequities of race and class have been amplified in the year since the storm.

It is that ideology, it is worth recalling, that helped drive the key decision to downgrade the Federal Emergency Management Agency from a highly praised, Cabinet-level organization to a backwater operation buried inside the labyrinthine Department of Homeland Security. It is an ideology that valued cronyism over expertise and put the dubiously qualified Michael D. Brown in charge. It is an ideology that put property rights and commercial prerogatives over wetlands protection in the Mississippi Delta, which led to the removal of many of the natural barriers that would protect New Orleans from the full force of a hurricane. It is an ideology that also drove many of the short-sighted funding decisions about levee construction in the years before Katrina struck -- for many conservatives only grudgingly support federal infrastructure investment -- and which today continues to value what is cheap over what is right.
http://www.alternet.org/katrina/41016/

2sisters said:
nobody else sees that though b/c on the news all you hear is new orleans this and new orleans that. my husband and i drove highway 90 one day to the AL line and i can't put into words what i saw. we live 45 min. north of hancock co. and have been a few times since katrina and see progress every time we go. give it another year and i think the MS coast will be back on their feet. thats what happens when you rely on yourself and not the government b/c the government will dissappoint you most of the time.
I agree with you. When our church went to help...I thought, WHY are we going to Mississippi instead of N.O.? I found out when we got there. It is horrible. I can't even find the words to describe it.:eek:

deandaniellws said:

I had no idea.

But did they have insurance? Most people have homeowners insurance. In N.O. they were flooded, so many had no insurcance.

Marthatex said:
I had no idea.

But did they have insurance? Most people have homeowners insurance. In N.O. they were flooded, so many had no insurcance.
Alot didn't have it in MS either. It is my understanding that if it didn't have water during Camille then you were expected to never have to deal with flooding. My aunt for example live 4 blocks from the beach and was not in a flood zone. Her house was there during Camille and was untouched. Needless to say, her house is now gone. Most had standard homeowners policies.

windovervocalcords said:
And there is still so much negative energy toward the people who lost their homes. Still so much concentrating on the "ripped off" feeling of those who were NOT affected.

I'm not sure it's so much the negative engery toward the people who lost their homes rather than the people who are trying to work the system and expect everything to be done for them. Some folks are expecting to stay in their rent free room until things get back up and kicking and walk back into a brand new town.

Plus, the wounds of ANY hurricane (flood, fire, tornado) go way beyond physical damage if you're the one affected....not just this one!

windovervocalcords said:

Bush 43 governs under the considerable shadow of conservative icon Ronald Reagan, who famously said in his 2001 inauguration speech, "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." Bush 43's inept embrace of Reagan's maxim has resulted in the literally deadly combination of negligent government and record government debt. The negligence continues to hamper the effort to repair New Orleans and other Katrina-damaged communities.

The debt, a product of the billions poured into the Iraq misadventure and wrongheaded tax cuts, drains capital -- both financial and political -- away from housing, education and other pressing needs. But, perhaps most importantly, the conservative ideology that says we are not each others' keeper -- and yet applauds as government fiercely defends the interests of those who have the most -- has brought us to where we are today: To a Gulf Coast where the old inequities of race and class have been amplified in the year since the storm.

It is that ideology, it is worth recalling, that helped drive the key decision to downgrade the Federal Emergency Management Agency from a highly praised, Cabinet-level organization to a backwater operation buried inside the labyrinthine Department of Homeland Security. It is an ideology that valued cronyism over expertise and put the dubiously qualified Michael D. Brown in charge. It is an ideology that put property rights and commercial prerogatives over wetlands protection in the Mississippi Delta, which led to the removal of many of the natural barriers that would protect New Orleans from the full force of a hurricane. It is an ideology that also drove many of the short-sighted funding decisions about levee construction in the years before Katrina struck -- for many conservatives only grudgingly support federal infrastructure investment -- and which today continues to value what is cheap over what is right.

Oh, I forgot. That's correct. FEMA funds had been cut prior to this devasting hurricane, also hurrican mitigation funds to communities (to help prepare for hurricanes)

This cut in funding, as often happens, ended up costing us far more in the long run.

Let us hope we will not find ourselves in similar horror with the Avian Flu or some other disaster; or I suppose a dirty bomb could happen in any community, and I certainly hope people will "help themselves" and not depend on any publicly funded community servants in that case like police, FBI, and publicly funded Emergency Rooms, Disaster-trained Physicians and other health care personnel who have had to undergo training in their communities for these possible scenarios.

czechmate7 said:
I'm not sure it's so much the negative engery toward the people who lost their homes rather than the people who are trying to work the system and expect everything to be done for them. Some folks are expecting to stay in their rent free room until things get back up and kicking and walk back into a brand new town.

Plus, the wounds of ANY hurricane (flood, fire, tornado) go way beyond physical damage if you're the one affected....not just this one!
What do people focus on? Those "working the system", rather than the 30,000 people still in Fema trailers. (sorry I forget which state this is it was on the news this morning)

Are they all fraudsters who have always been on the dole?

windovervocalcords said:

I'm not the sharpest tack in the bunch, but this sounds like a dig on Bush, Fema, ect...Am I close??
If so, I'd just like to say....it's not cool to dig on the government:hand: .
After going to several different countries I've discovered that even though our government isn't *pristine* there is no place else I'de rather live!! It's far from perfect as a matter of fact, but for the people who are going to complain about everything the government does wrong....well, they just need a one way ticket to perfectland!!
Now, if you will excuse me, I need to change my HRT patch!!:cool:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back