Judge Orders Bush Administration to Resume Paying for Katrina Housing

czechmate7 said:
I'm not the sharpest tack in the bunch, but this sounds like a dig on Bush, Fema, ect...Am I close??
If so, I'd just like to say....it's not cool to dig on the government:hand: .
After going to several different countries I've discovered that even though our government isn't *pristine* there is no place else I'de rather live!! It's far from perfect as a matter of fact, but for the people who are going to complain about everything the government does wrong....well, they just need a one way ticket to perfectland!!
Now, if you will excuse me, I need to change my HRT patch!!:cool:

Its a recurring theme around here. It gets old, but what are ya gonna do?

windovervocalcords said:
What do people focus on? Those "working the system", rather than the 30,000 people still in Fema trailers. (sorry I forget which state this is it was on the news this morning)

Are they all fraudsters who have always been on the dole?
People focus on those "working the system" because it is the PROBLEM!!! It needs to be ADDRESSED so it can be FIXED. How can you fix a problem if you don't know it exsist?:doh: (Really, going to put my patch on right now!!)

Do you think the situation with people living off the government, expecting handouts started with Katrina??? It was a problem that was never addressed and "came to light" with Katrina

czechmate7 said:
People focus on those "working the system" because it is the PROBLEM!!! It needs to be ADDRESSED so it can be FIXED. How can you fix a problem if you don't know it exsist?:doh: (Really, going to put my patch on right now!!)

Do you think the situation with people living off the government, expecting handouts started with Katrina??? It was a problem that was never addressed and "came to light" with Katrina
I disagree that all of the Katrina hurricane can be reduced to a problem of people "working the system" which you imply by saying that it is THE problem.

The system failed during the hurricane. The administration had a role. It gets real old, that racism gets ignored and the government gets a pass for poor management.

Cypros said:
The Katrina hurricane was only 15 months ago.
yes I know that, I did sit throught he hurricane. I was saying that FEMA said assistance would run out 18 months from the storm, FEb 2007.

windovervocalcords said:
The system failed during the hurricane. The administration had a role. It gets real old, that racism gets ignored and the government gets a pass for poor management.
You're not going to pull the race card thing, are you??:boohoo: If so, let me go get my violin....
(I'm usually a very sweet person, honest!!:angel: )

czechmate7 said:

Racism came to light in all its ugliness with Katrina. I have spent my entire career working with the poor. I am sick of this crap about fraud from a bunch of middle to upper class housewives who watch too much Fox news.

Have you never heard of welfare reform? It happened and it works. Fruad happens too. The numbers are relatively small.

If you are so concerned about fraud take a look at Halliburton in Iraq. Much bigger fish to fry.

The governemt is keeping them down, yet giving a hand. That doesn't make sense I know. if they really want to help they will step in and get control of this insurance situation, electricity rate hikes, property tax increases, school issues, and crime issues. In the long run that will be what destorys New Orleans, that and the fact that working class will not be able to afford to live there. There are alot more pressing issues in N.O. that you don't hear on national news, but only on local news. Paying rent for people shouldn't be priority.

windovervocalcords said:
Racism came to light in all its ugliness with Katrina. I have spent my entire career working with the poor. I am sick of this crap about fraud.

Have you never heard of welfare reform? It happened and it works. Fruad happens too. The numbers are relatively small.

If you are so concerned about fraud take a look at Halliburton in Iraq.
Don't give me the racism thing, the governemt failed for white and blacks alike in Katrina. have you heard about the large Vietnamese population in New Orleans east that lost everything they had? Did you know there was a large Vitnamese population in New Orleans? Proabably not. Or the large mix of races that lost everything in St. Bernard parish? What about the lower middle class of hancock county? The government did not discriminate in its ineptitude following katrina.

windovervocalcords said:
Racism came to light in all its ugliness with Katrina. I have spent my entire career working with the poor. I am sick of this crap about fraud from a bunch of middle to upper class housewives who watch too much Fox news.

If you are so concerned about fraud take a look at Halliburton in Iraq. Much bigger fish to fry.

WOVC,

I'd be interested in hearing what you believe would be a reasonable amount of time, or solution to the problem...many are still in need, doing whatever they need to do to start over - and then taking into consideration that yes, there ARE people that take advantage of the government system. It is what it is, and we can't change what happened in '05. So, what do you suggest is appropriate?

windovervocalcords said:

By the way, this "housewife" can say all she wants about Katrina b/c i sat throught that entire storm and the weeks that followed. I waited to hear from my family on the coast and in New Orleans wondering if they were alive or not. I am sick of hearing upperclass liberals who weren't even there give their take on Katrina so I guess we are even. I don't even watch Fox news for your information.

czechmate7 said:
It's far from perfect as a matter of fact, but for the people who are going to complain about everything the government does wrong....well, they just need a one way ticket to perfectland!!
Now, if you will excuse me, I need to change my HRT patch!!:cool:
:D :laugh: :laugh: Good post czechmate.

windovervocalcords said:

If you need to take a time out, do so. You're not going to talk to posters like this.

2sisters said:
Don't give me the racism thing, the governemt failed for white and blacks alike in Katrina. have you heard about the large Vietnamese population in New Orleans east that lost everything they had? Did you know there was a large Vitnamese population in New Orleans? Proabably not. Or the large mix of races that lost everything in St. Bernard parish? What about the lower middle class of hancock county? The government did not discriminate in its ineptitude following katrina.
Racism played a role and continues to.

Jeana (DP) said:
QUOTE](Diplomacy is the ability to tell a person to go to Hell in such a way that he actually looks forward to the trip).
smile.gif
:laugh: :laugh: JDP...I love your tag line here!~:cool:

windovervocalcords said:
I disagree that all of the Katrina hurricane can be reduced to a problem of people "working the system" which you imply by saying that it is THE problem.

I stand corrected....it is A problem (but a big ol' whopper of one).

DEPUTYDAWG said:
WOVC,

I'd be interested in hearing what you believe would be a reasonable amount of time, or solution to the problem...many are still in need, doing whatever they need to do to start over - and then taking into consideration that yes, there ARE people that take advantage of the government system. It is what it is, and we can't change what happened in '05. So, what do you suggest is appropriate?
Deputy

I appreciate your post. There are 30,000 people in FEMA trailers. Should we kick them out into the streets February 2007?

What percentage of those 30,000 do you think are fraudsters?

I will get back to you with alternate ideas. There has to be some balance. I am reacting to knee jerk responses by some posters that I have heard my whole career. If you do not work with the poor it is very easy to make snap judgments. This is what I am speaking to. Not any one particular poster.

I have seen some really ugly threads on the Katrina topic where racism did arise.

My fuse is short on this topic. I have worked to champion the poor too many years and I have worked with racial and ethnic minorities my entire life.

Its true that we have armchair judgers who sit back in comfortable circumstances and make broad sweeping negative generalizations about vast numbers of people. This bothers me.

windovervocalcords said:
30,000 people in FEMA trailers do you propose kicking them out into the streets February 2007?

They need to be out of them and in homes. Hve you seen those things? People deserve better than to live in a camper for years. I would like to see more help getting people back home intead of saying a FEMA trailer is ok. They aren't ok, sure it's better that being homeless but this is America and the citizens here don't deserve to live in a travel trailer the size of a minivan.

windovervocalcords said:
30,000 people in FEMA trailers do you propose kicking them out into the streets February 2007?

How many of them were on public assistance before Katrina?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back