Kelloggs Lawsuit "fix"?

Autumn I make almost all my food homemade as well including pasta.

I am confused about the corn spray??
It seems harmless to me as corn is a natural product....

I personally don't understand how parents can even afford to buy a lot of sugary crap cereal... Its almost 5$ per box...
That just seems insane to me!

It is much more ecconomical IMO to make most food homemade.
Often it takes the same amount of time as the supposedly "quick" foods.

boyzmum- Here's some websites, I have loads more but these are the ones I use for recipes and healthtips quite often.
www.whfoods.com
www.vegweb.com
www.fatfreevegan.com
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
http://www.theppk.com/
Whole foods website is a good one too and will list the nutrients you get out of each food. I never followed the hype of the low carb stuff for one reason especially, white potatoes are only second to spinach in regards to all the wonderful antioxidants they contain. Check into john mcdougall's diet also or dean ornish. All of the information on mcdougall diet on his website drmcdougall.com can be found free without purchase of anything. He also has years of study and you can find articles in his newsletters with the sources at the bottom. He also has a video you can download free on milk marketing and bovine leukemia.

amraan- I feel corn is a great food too in its pure form, when it is a gmo or highly processed its not. Highly processed corn slows down your metabolism and I feel it contributes to our obesity epidemic. Also they are finding quite a few new allergies with it and the hard part is if your allergic to it by overexposure its very hard to stay away from. My favorite food item in my kitchen is my chopper. I can make so many foods so quickly it seems once you get the hang of it it is easier than store bought. My hard part with making pasta is in our house its brown rice based so its a little more difficult to work with.

The purer you stay with foods the cheaper it will be, buying prepared organic foods is where the big money is spent. For example my daughter's $8 very tiny bag of pretzels :doh: but she loves them and it makes her feel more normal with the other kids having pretzels too especially with being limited with gluten free products. Or the $7 blueberry cereal bars she wanted at the store the other day for a treat which there was only 5 in a box.

Autumn, thank you for the links. I bookmarked them so I can really read later today. I have also looked at the Ornish Diet- I just didn't purchase the book (yet).

I really do like the summer months and being able to grow some of our veggies, we have apple, cherry trees but they haven't started producing yet. The summer months are pretty easy for us to eat more sensibly and perhaps safer with growing it at home.

Amraann, is it difficult to make pasta at home? (Do you use a machine or do it by hand?)

Honestly, I don't buy a lot of prepackaged foods, it isn't that hard to make homemade scalloped potatoes, and things like that. I buy sugar cereal when it's on sale for half price. I don't worry so much about the boys having some, but like everything else I think moderation is important.

Sorry guys for getting this thread a little off track, but since we're talking about food and cereal is supposed to be food, I think it will be okay?

the food industry is making americans fatter.
the nutritional content of all mass produced foods is not what it used to be.

This will end when the steak at the store, the steak made into burgers at mickey d's and organically grown hormone free steak are all the same steak once again.

probably never happen in this country, the inventor of
krispy krack donuts.

the only ones of us americans not overweight/unhealthy are the ones eating purely organic food, which is a) harder to come by, b) a lot more expensive and c) not sold in any restrauant, except maybe in san francisco or seattle.

.02 added to total, thank you, drive through.

~lightwaveryder~

!

Thank you for explaining Autumn!!

Boyz_Mum...

Its pretty easy to make by hand and the dough is easy to work with.
My bread machine also has a pasta dough setting but I have never used it.
Its just as fast by hand.

For mothers day hubby bought me a restaurant quality pasta press .. So that eliminates the real work which is rolling out the dough..
Now I just mix the dough up and put it through the press then choose whichever shape I want. Ravioli is sooooo easy with the press... it stuffs and seals them:)

The basic recipe is as follows ....
2 cups All Purpose flour
2-4 tablespoons olive oil
teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of water (add a 1/4 cup at a time and adjust accoringlingly)

For accurate measuring I would use a scoop like measuring cup for the flour shaking of the excess but not packing the cup so it is level
For liquids a glass measuring cup set flat ensuring that the 8ounce mark is level on both sides of the glass.
(I have found this to be important when making any type of dough)

You can make semolina pasta by replacing 1 cup of all purp flour with 1 cup semolina and wheat by doing the same..
I am not a fan of the texture semolina gives it but the wheat is nice.
Not really strong flavored but more flavorful than the plain flour one ..
Another variation is egg based dough where you use the same recipe but replace the 1/2 cup of water with 3 eggs ..
You may need to add a few drops of water if to dry.

For spaghetti you will need to lay it out to dry for at least an hour before boiling for about 1-2 minutes
Ravioli does not require drying time.

Sorry to go OT LOL

the food industry is making americans fatter.
the nutritional content of all mass produced foods is not what it used to be.

This will end when the steak at the store, the steak made into burgers at mickey d's and organically grown hormone free steak are all the same steak once again.

probably never happen in this country, the inventor of
krispy krack donuts.

the only ones of us americans not overweight/unhealthy are the ones eating purely organic food, which is a) harder to come by, b) a lot more expensive and c) not sold in any restrauant, except maybe in san francisco or seattle.

.02 added to total, thank you, drive through.

~lightwaveryder~

!

I am not overweight and I am very healthy and I do not eat totally organic foods.

Thanks! Printed out the pasta recipe and think I may need a machine! (I may be brave and try it by hand... one time is all it will take! LOL!)

I am not overweight and I am very healthy and I do not eat totally organic foods.

good for you. im proud of your self confidence.
im not overweight either but i know for a fact im not
'healthy' like a pre columbian indian was healthy.

give it time.

the food industry will have it's revenge on us all.

ever wonder why when they do autopsies on mummies and cavemen frozen in ice that they have no cancer?

it didn't exist, that's why.

tick tock.

~lightwaveryder~

You got attacked for that??
Whats wrong with fish sticks for breakfast? I serve breakfast for dinner all the time..
Cold pizza is really good for breakfast!!

I think almost anything is OK in moderation.
Even a bowl sugery cereal once in awhile is OK .... (personally I prefer cherios cornflakes and rice crispies but I don't like suger to begin with)
I LOVE cold pizza for breakfast. :dance:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back