KS - Serial rapist targeting Kansas college campuses starting in Oct 2000

There is NO EXCUSE for letting those rape kits gather dust in a closet. They are allowing more rapes to happen, by doing so. :mad:

The primary work was done on Hwy 18 leading from I70 to Manhattan. Major reconstruction, lasted quite a while. One contact remembers cases and said construction was on at that time. He text me back today. Will press for more info and also if I can get KDOT info on construction dates.
Not sure about about Emporia State. I think they had an event or so. WSU, I live here, I think had one or two but those were apprehended if my memory serves me right.
I going to stay on this until it proves out or is eliminated as a possibility.
Thanks for the lead in on this as it hadn't occurred to me.

I am also interested because these towns are quite close to Missouri state line.

Just a curious observation...

I am also interested because these towns are quite close to Missouri state line.

Just a curious observation...

I'm not too concerned about someone coming across and the cases were too frequent and KC is closer. Most likely construction worker, military or college student/personnel. As I said earlier, this is the first I heard of these cases, even though I was up there frequently. I had been in Manhattan almost every other week from 2005 until 2012 before I even heard a siren at night. Thought it was a very quiet place.
This appears to me to be a very simple case to get a handle on provided we can get enough info. My friends have told me to come up and spend some time so think I will go on a small scouting trip. Manhattan does not have a PD. They use Riley PD for cases. Will see what info I can gather.

Subscribing with a possibly already posted link, rbbm.
http://www.kansascollegerapist.com/
Many of the victims reported having locked their door(s), yet there were no signs of forced entry. There were also indications that victims were surveilled by the assailant prior the incident. In all but two cases, the victim was alone. The assailant was typically described as a white male between 5’9” and 6’0”, with various descriptions of build and estimations of weight and age. In the most recent case occurring in July of 2015, he was described as a white male, approximately 5’10”, with a medium to thick build, slight stomach and noticeable muscle tone in the thigh area. The muscular build with a noticeable stomach was a frequently mentioned characteristic from previous cases. As for age, we believe the assailant was at least 33 years old at the time of the 2015 incident based upon the date of the earliest case.

While the physical violence of the assailant was usually limited to the rape itself, these were all very violent acts carried out by an assailant who did so in a cold, calm, calculated manner.
Anyone with information relevant to this investigation should call Manhattan Riley County Crime Stoppers at 785-539-7777 or toll free at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). SMS Text tips are also accepted by sending a text to “CRIMES” (274637) and starting the body of your message with “TIP353.” Webtips are also accepted by visiting Manhattan Riley County Crime Stoppers online or www.RileyCountyPolice.org. Finally, Individuals can download the TipSubmit mobile app for both iPhone and Android operating systems and submit anonymous tips via the app. You do not need to leave your name when providing a tip, collect calls are accepted, and you may be eligible for a cash reward. For those living in the Lawrence area, we are asking that you use also use these numbers and resources when providing tips, as one point of contact will help us ensure that nothing falls through the cracks. In addition to any Crime Stoppers reward, an anonymous local donor has provided $10,000 to the Riley County Police Department to use as reward money for information leading to an arrest in these cases.

Further information and resources are listed on the right, and updates will be made to this site as they become available.

Since the perp's build is described as having " noticeable muscle tone in the thigh area " posting this article which describes various body builds and the activities which may lead to those body types. FWIW, speculation.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/jul/01/healthandwellbeing.fitness
The many figures of fitness

Pilates fans are famous for having flat tummies, but did you know that walking gives you a perter bottom than jogging, or that Spin classes can make your shoulders rounded? Exercise expert Joanna Hall reveals how sport dictates body shape

If I read right, all attacks took place on second floors (or at least not a first floor)? Wow - that is strange, never seen a case with something consistent like. You'd think he'd prefer ground level apartments.
Could there be some way he watched from a distance saw into second floors? Usually the peeping-tom cases turned attacks involve the ground floor... but watching from a rooftop he might be more hidden.

The last known case, an attempted rape on July 27, 2015, in Manhattan, occurred in the same block where K-State students were raped in 2003 and 2004.

Riley County police did not say exactly when investigators officially linked the newest crime to the other attacks, but did say the connection was recent.

In some respects, the 2015 case had “significant similarities” to the others, Riley County officials said. But in other ways, it was different. It took time, they said, to follow up on leads and other information.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article163943417.html

maps at link

400,000 rape kits are growing dust in evidence lockers, untested.

They charge women who have been raped $1000+ to gather the evidence into the rape kit and yet have no intention of ever testing most of them.

Rape Victims Are Still Being Charged for Rape Kits

In cities where they have tested their rape kits, they have found many suspects and discovered that many rapes are committed by a few serial rapists.

"Parts of the U.S. that have processed old rape kits have found it well worth their while: Detroit has almost finished clearing its backlog of more than 11,000 kits, and has found 2,616 suspects, 477 of them possible serial rapists, in the process"

WHAT??? They charge the victims? WHAT? Is this just here or everywhere in the US? I am stunned and horrified.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article164636442.html
Officials studying serial rapes of KU, K-State students say composite sketch unrelated

By Laura Bauer

July 31, 2017

Authorities investigating a serial rapist preying on students at Kansas’ top two colleges say there is no composite sketch of the attacker who has eluded them since 2000.

So, they said Monday, don’t trust the sketch that’s going around.

“There is a composite being shared saying it is a sketch of the KS college rapist suspect,” read a tweet by Riley County police that was posted on Twitter about 2 p.m. Monday. “This is not true. There is no sketch in this case.”
Officials with Riley County and Lawrence police announced Thursday that they needed the public’s help in finding the rapist, who is linked to 14 attacks — 12 rapes and two attempted rapes — from October 2000 to July 2015. Nine of the crimes occurred in Manhattan and involved students at Kansas State University, and five involved University of Kansas students in Lawrence. All of the attacks were off campus.

During the Thursday news conference, authorities linked the July 2015 case in Manhattan to the rapist.
Authorities have said the man connected to the 14 attacks wore a mask that covered everything but his eyes
rbbm

Just a short update for those interested. The fact that various residents were entered by the perpetrator in what appears to be unforced entry, it could be he has ability to pick locks or possibly has a key/keys. Not sure as to the lock installation at this time, but will try to find out more on this when I visit Manhattan. Will also see if any or all of the residents at these locations are owned but same company Private or public). Could be a maintenance tie in there. Presently constructing a map to pin each occurrence. Looking for common thread.
Contacted a friend in LE and he knew of cases but had no definitive info, but said he would see what he could find out without divulging any privileged information. I'm still trying to determine if DNA is defining connection in cases.
Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks

and anyone who worked on the Turnpike, left for seven years, and went back to working that toll booth.....

and anyone who worked on the Turnpike, left for seven years, and went back to working that toll booth.....

I think the turnpike is too far removed to provide easy access. The more I look at the info I have so far, I'm leaning toward someone that is somehow tied/connected to KU or KSU in some way. They could possibly live in the area or have family there. The fact that all victims were connected to the universities has to have meaning. Finding that link would help in a solution. It may only something as simple as a yearbook, we'll see.
Unforced entry may also have significance. I feel I need to attempt to align as many common threads as possible. I have a contact attempting to setup a visit with a couple LEO there, maybe that will help if they can provide assistance or information.

I think the turnpike is too far removed to provide easy access. The more I look at the info I have so far, I'm leaning toward someone that is somehow tied/connected to KU or KSU in some way. They could possibly live in the area or have family there. The fact that all victims were connected to the universities has to have meaning. Finding that link would help in a solution. It may only something as simple as a yearbook, we'll see.
Unforced entry may also have significance. I feel I need to attempt to align as many common threads as possible. I have a contact attempting to setup a visit with a couple LEO there, maybe that will help if they can provide assistance or information.

Please check out any construction around campus that was prolonged....any buildings being built...roadways...bridge repair...thank you and good luck Shadetree!! Sounds like beginning of old Mission Impossible...the tape will self-destruct, Jim!!

Wondering if due to the perp's strong thighs, he might play football as a linesman, could the large belly be the result of drinking a lot of beer?
speculation, imo.

Does he choose the second floor of buildings because people living on the first floor are possibly more likely to be aware of security and keep their windows well covered and locked? imo.

I agree with you, Manhattan is almost an hour away from the turnpike, I think it's someone who knows Manhattan and Lawrence well maybe from Manhattan but attended KU? Or the opposite?

Most of the apartment complexes in Manhattan are owned by a few large rental companies, I definitely think it could be a maintenance person or leasing agent with one of these. I know the rental company that owns the complex where 3 of the rapes occured and I leased an apartment from that agency when I attended K-State but am not sure where exactly the other rapes occured to know if those places are owned by the same company.

I do think the LE has DNA and that's how they've linked all these they just don't have a suspect to match it with.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back