GUILTY KS - Vashti Seacat, 34, found slain in house fire, Kingman, 30 April 2011 - #2

If closing arguments take the whole afternoon I can see the judge releasing the jury to sleep on it and return bright and early tomorrow to start deliberations. I think the jury will have it's verdict after lunch, six or seven hours into it.

I understand there are 4 charges against B Seacat but if I was on the jury and believed him guilty of killing his wife the other charges would fall in line as being his fault as well. He did endanger the two boys lives, he set fire to the house to conceal the killing and what's the fourth charge?

If closing arguments take the whole afternoon I can see the judge releasing the jury to sleep on it and return bright and early tomorrow to start deliberations. I think the jury will have it's verdict after lunch, six or seven hours into it.

I understand there are 4 charges against B Seacat but if I was on the jury and believed him guilty of killing his wife the other charges would fall in line as being his fault as well. He did endanger the two boys lives, he set fire to the house to conceal the killing and what's the fourth charge?

Murder,arson and child endangerment was 2 counts. One for each of the children.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/06/10/2840703/closing-arguments-in-brett-seacats.html

What I find almost amusing is, I personally don't believe he set the fire prior to removing the children. But if he's found guilty of murder, he may also be found guilty of child endangerment and MAYBE for something that didn't happen. :slap:

Course, that's what he gets, IF it happens.

just and idea,
fran

IT'S STARTING!

I'm sure the children will be terrified of fire the rest of their lives. He put his neigbors in danger with that fire, as well. He deserves all the charges, IMO.

"In addition to the murder charge, Seacat also faces a count of aggravated arson and two counts of aggravated child endangerment for allegedly setting fire to the couple’s Kingman house while their sons – then 2 and 4 – slept down the hall."

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/06/10/2840703/closing-arguments-in-brett-seacats.html#storylink=cpy

What I find almost amusing is, I personally don't believe he set the fire prior to removing the children. But if he's found guilty of murder, he may also be found guilty of child endangerment and MAYBE for something that didn't happen. :slap:

just and idea,
fran

BBM~~~

Agree

just and idea,
fran

I don't know Fran something sticks in my mind about Brett Seacat. I think he really thought this murder out and set that fire in case he was outside with the boys and was unable to go back into the house to set the fire and hide/destroy evidence.

Trial back on closing arguments is allotted 1 1/2 hours. No nonsense Judge? Or Kansas doesn't mess around with grandstanding.

just and idea,
fran

Forgot to add if what you say is true I mark it up to poetic justice! I think they should also find him guilty of being a pompous a$$.

April 29, 2011 shortly before 8 a.m. Vashti drops the kids off at daycare.
Brett is at work, in his office, legal papers on his desk, at 10 a.m.
noon-Vashti goes for lunch with her work friend. Vashti bought a $50 money order for parenting classes.
Brett asks a coworker for a overhead projector. Said he needed it to research a fraud thing.
Later in the day BS was seen taking the projector back to the old dorms.
at 1600 Brett torches two hard drives, says he has to get rid of them. Also destroyed cell phones.
4:53 p.m. texting between Vashti and Brett
5:25 Vashti picks the kids up from daycare
Later in the day Vashti is texting her friend about a treadmill.
Further into the evening around 9 p.m. texts another person, Jill, that Vashti allows Brett to stay until Sunday at noon.
1111 p.m. Vashti is on Facebook accepting friend requests. Logs off.
Gunshot heard by Smith

lost signal

lost signal...

signal resumes

--Smith was clear between the sound of a tree limb falling and a gunshot.
--3:15 a.m.
--that is when Brett killed Vashti
--911 call happened at 3:54 a.m.
--Brett has time to stage the crime scene inside and out.
--Has to plant the journal, leave the truck keys for himself
--Inside he has to find Vashti's cell to make it look like she called him
--has to get rid of some of his clothing
--has to get the gas cans
--has to get his cell phone
--has to get the boys out
--then has to call 911

--3:51 a.m. is the call from Vashti's cell to Brett's cell, call is 4 min long
--3:54 a.m. is the call to 911
--Police are dispatched, jury saw in car video
--calls his Dad and calls Connie Suderman, this is minutes after his wife's death
--video from Shawn Harper who recorded the fire, concentration is in the south part of the house
--4:40 a.m. police are interviewing Brett
--9:30 a.m. Brett calls Connie and tells her that he killed Vashti, it's his fault
--That Saturday night is the night that Vashti had planned to go out with her friends.

--Seacats had been in counselling since October 2010
--Vashti was working out, going to church, eating right, doing well at work,

She is doing awesome. wrapping it up nicely. I was convinced before this but she has added things I was not aware of and is making a clear line to the murder..

Prosecutor is doing a good job! Showing how Vashti wouldn't commit suicide. Bring it home. Tie it with a nice bow.

I'm very impressed with this prosecutor!

Does anyone know if after the defense closes does the proseuctor get another chance to run down and disprove whatever defense puts forth?

How controlling and manipulative he is.....

Sheesh, it's like listening to the JA trial all over again.
No matter how many of these perpetrators I hear and see about, it never ceases to amaze me how diabolical they are

Does anyone know if after the defense closes does the proseuctor get another chance to run down and disprove whatever defense puts forth?

yes. Judge said both get 90 minutes and that the prosecutor can split the time and do some of her close after the defense because she has the burden of proof in this case. :seeya:

Vashti bought a money order that Friday for parenting classes the next week. Brett had to come up with the supposed threats he made the night of her death to explain why'd she'd suddenly commit suicide if she was hopeful that afternoon.

Also Connie Suderman knows that Brad previously made threats to take the kids and run to Mexico.

But most importantly, Brett didn't know someone else knew about his threat to kill Vashti and burn the house down.

Brett, then, then, had to make a statement about a different threat he made the very night of Vashti's death. He came up with the threat that he was going to expose her affair with a VP at work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back