KY- Breonna Taylor, 26, fatally shot by LE, Louisville, 13 Mar 2020 *MEDIA, TIMELINE* NO DISCUSSION

@TessaDuvall
Louisville Maj. Kimberly Burbrink inserted herself into the Breonna Taylor case, "pressuring" and "cross-examining" investigators. But it goes deeper than that. Burbrink and Brett Hankison have history together and the major has family ties within LMPD.
Burbrink commands the Criminal Interdiction Division. Officers from her division requested and carried out the warrant for Breonna Taylor's home. Her officers fired 32 shots into the apartment. But yet, she was allowed into a meeting about the case.
In 2008, Brett Hankison was among a group of officers that raised an internal investigator's suspicions. Also in that group? Burbrink, as well as Lt. Shawn Hoover, who was among the seven officers serving the warrant at Breonna Taylor's apartment.

Public Integrity Unit investigators were concerned about including Major Kim Burbrink on a call discussing their Breonna Taylor investigation. She was included over their objections and "took opposition" with investigators in what they described as a "cross-examination."
Burbrink later "provided the involved officers an update" — and then-interim Chief Schroeder apologized for her inclusion in the call.
Report: Major over Breonna Taylor officers pressured investigators

@courierjournal
'An encyclopedia of police incompetence': Breonna Taylor case exposes array of LMPD errors
The litany of errors shows that the March 13 police shooting of Taylor in her home was more than the result of a few bad apples, according to Samuel Walker, who reviewed The Courier Journal’s summary of investigative documents made public over the past two weeks...
It reveals "systemic failures" across LMPD, as well as “a pervasive failure of training, supervision and management," said Walker, an emeritus professor at the University of Nebraska Omaha's School of Criminology and Criminal Justice.
The list may prove long. Records in the Taylor investigation alone show an array of police mistakes and policy violations in the case:
  • First, a detective included false information to obtain the warrant for the search of Taylor’s home. Judge Mary Shaw, who signed it, now says she worries he lied.
  • Then, the Criminal Interdiction Division, which was to execute the search, didn't tell the SWAT team, which could have assisted or consulted on strategy.
  • Intelligence provided in advance of the search suggested to some officers it was a "soft target" because Taylor would likely be there alone. They had no idea Walker was there, or he was armed.
  • The officers that battered their way in after midnight say they first announced they were police. But only one of a dozen neighbors said they heard it — and that witness initially told police the exact opposite.
  • Neither Mattingly nor Cosgrove appears to have properly identified their target before they fired — or took into account what was behind their target that their bullets might hit.
  • Hankison, who ran outside, sprayed the apartment and an adjoining one with gunfire, shooting through a window and glass door obscured by curtains — an act for which he was later fired. He is appealing.
  • After the shooting, two of the officers wandered through the crime scene and Hankison appears in body camera footage to have questioned other officers working the scene, at one point stepping into Taylor's apartment. Those actions were in apparent violation of LMPD policy...

"Anonymous Grand Juror #1 submits the Attorney General cannot choose to part from the rules in disclosing information and then use his position to prevent others from responding to his misleading remarks," the filing says in part.
The way Cameron has handled the case filed by Anonymous Juror #1 and made public disclosures about the grand jury procedure "makes it overwhelmingly clear it is his position he should be allowed to discuss portions of the grand jury proceedings that were not recorded but no one else should have the same ability, no matter how inconsistent his public statements are with the actual recordings," Kevin Glogower, the grand juror's attorney says in the court filing.
Breonna Taylor grand juror files response to Kentucky AG request for potential stay - CNN

Breonna Taylor's boyfriend, Kenneth Walker: "I'm a million percent sure" police didn't identify themselves

"It was dead silent in the house," he explained to CBS This Morning co-host Gayle King. "And it was 12:00, 1:00 at night, or whatever time. So it was — it's always quiet. We live in a quiet place. So if somebody was on the other side of the door saying anything, we would hear them."

When pressed if he was certain, Walker said "I'm a million percent sure that nobody identified themselves." Walker, a licensed gun-owner, said this is what caused him to open fire.

"That's why I grabbed the gun. Didn't have a clue," Walker said. "I mean, if it was the police at the door, and they just said, 'We're the police,' me or Breonna didn't have a reason at all not to open the door to see what they wanted."

No drugs were found in Taylor's apartment and Taylor's ex-boyfriend, Jamarcus Glover, has said Taylor had never been involved in any drug trading.

"That's why I never thought it was the police. Because why would the police be coming here?" Walker said.

Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend says police didn’t try to save her as she lay dying

“If they had knocked on the door and say who it was, we could hear them. It was dead silent.”

Feeling “deathly afraid”, Walker said the couple scrambled to put on some clothes to make themselves “decent to answer the door”.

“Then I grabbed my gun,” he said.

A licensed gun owner, Walker said the moment was “the one time” he had to use it. He said if they had known it was the police they would have just opened the door to them.

Then the door flew off its hinges. Thinking it was a home invasion, Walker fired a single shot.

Then police opened fire. Walker said he had never heard so many gunshots at the same time. “I’ve never been to war. But I assume that’s what war probably sounds like,” he said.

He had been holding Taylor’s hand during the gunfire when he heard her scream. “I pulled her down to the ground. But, you know, she was scared so she just didn’t get down,” he said.

When shots stopped, Walker said Taylor was alive and bleeding. He called his mother as he held her. “I told her that somebody just kicked in the door and shot Breonna. And she’s freaking out at this point. But she told me to call 911. So I did,” Walker said.

The gut-wrenching 911 call has since been made public. On the 911 call an operator asks Walker if his girlfriend is conscious and Walker says: “No she is not. Bre, oh my God.”

If he knew it was the police who broke in, he would not have called the police for help. “That doesn’t even make sense,” he said. Walker said he hung up on 911 and called Taylor’s mother. When he realized the police were at the door, he thought they had responded to his call and had come to help.

Walker went to them, only to face guns drawn and threats of “dogs and whatever else”.

Walker said an officer asked him if he was hit with any bullets. When he said no, the officer replied: “That’s unfortunate.” Swat team video shows officers calling the area “a crime scene”.
“Let’s go ahead and move out. All right, she’s done,” an officer can be heard saying

Body-camera footage from that night shows Walker outside with police. He said they dragged him down the street barefoot to the squad car “on gravel, rocks and everything”. Walker said he still has the injuries on his feet.

A short time later a plainclothes officer told Walker there had been a “miscommunication”. Police charged him with attempted murder of a police officer, but never told him directly that Taylor was killed. Those charges against Walker have since been dropped.

“I was in the cell ... on the news … and they said one female dead,” he said.

Walker told King he believes that if he had been killed alongside Taylor that night, the public would “definitely not” be hearing her story or know the name Breonna Taylor.

@TravisRagsdale

Pretty strong statement of denial on Detective John Mattingly’s involvement in the search warrant that allowed police to raid the home of Breonna Taylor.
According to Detective Joshua Jaynes, Mattingly told him that drug suspect Jamarcus Glover was receiving packages at Taylor’s home in Feb. Mattingly’s attorney claims that never happened. So, a lot of finger pointing going on here.
@WDRBNews

Attachments

• 0E79F225-2CED-44E8-B07A-7463AC499DAA.jpeg
    0E79F225-2CED-44E8-B07A-7463AC499DAA.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 0
more:

Link to Det. Mike Kuzma (Audio) Interview

Link to Det. Joshua Jaynes (Audio) Interview

Link to Shivley Sgt. Timothy Salyer (Audio) Interview

Kenneth Walker's 911 call, arrest, and interrogation video:

Sgt. Jon Mattingly Interrogation video:

Members online