GUILTY KY - Karen Kappelman, 15, found dead in snowbank, Boone County, 27 Feb 2010

I'm with you! And how can it be accidental, with no one else playing any part (even after death) when her pants were off, her coat was nearby, and there were footprints?
Exactly!!!!!!!!!! If they said hypothermia was part of it, that would explain the coat and pants but the footprints?????? If they are the footprints of the person who found the body - they would tell us that. Seems there has been a great effort in the local news to dis-spell foul play, but no supporting facts. What is wrong with the truth? Time will tell if we will get it or not.

this makes zero sense.

someone needs to go back to csi school

It sounds like the police suspect a drug overdose. She could have wandered out without parts of her clothing if she was under the influence and didn't know what she was doing. Or, perhaps she died while partying and her friends thought they'd dump the body so they wouldn't get caught doing drugs. I just finished reading Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Baden's book, Unnatural Death. There is a scenario very similar to this one in the book where a girl died from drug overdose, but was found out in a field partially clothed. It looked like a homicide because of where she was and how she was dressed, but it wasn't. He said that police call this "dumping" and it is fairly common. People at the drug party don't want to call the police about the dead body, so they dump the body to avoid getting in trouble for the drugs. I'm guessing the police are suspecting something like this.

well if someone dumped her body there im sure there can be charges from that

Checking for any updates. For some reason this case really, really bothers me and I just can't let it go.

First off, she was supposed to be home. Wouldn't her parents have heard her leave the apartment? I have never lived in a quiet apartment. The walls are usually thin and sound travels. When my girls were 15, I KNEW if they were home or could hear if they left and that was in a 4 bedroom house.

I find it odd that her parents didn't check to see if she wanted to go to church, or check on her at all before they left. Strikes me as odd. Even if I knew my girls were asleep, I would check on them BEFORE I left and leave them a note! Odd.

Did they know she drank or used drugs at all? (The toxicology report). Were they used to her sneaking out to meet friends? Something with this whole scenario is strange.

If it was a "friend", why would she have had her pants and coat off. If they are SURE there was no foul play, but suspect that she will have something show up in a toxicology report, do they have information about parties that night or friends of hers that were seen nearby?

VERY strange.

well if someone dumped her body there im sure there can be charges from that

Indeed. I think it's abuse of a corpse or something like that. There's definately a charge. Usually people "leave" a body out front of a hospital if it's an OD IF they even do that. However, there's cameras sooooooo.....

Lynn, that's kind of you. Some cases just really get to us. I am glad you brought this back up. Poor kid. She seems like an intelligent child. It must have been hard for her to move at this time in her life.

TWITTER: Mirrors are good secret keepers? Now I'd be running with that. Private viewing and cremation. Something had to happen to this kid. Something.

I agree with all of you, something about this is just "off".

Has anyone read anywhere if her parents or sister saw her the night before she died? Alot has been mentioned about the morning of, that they thought she was sleeping, but so far I haven't seen anything about how she was acting the night before.

First off, she was supposed to be home. Wouldn't her parents have heard her leave the apartment? I have never lived in a quiet apartment. The walls are usually thin and sound travels. When my girls were 15, I KNEW if they were home or could hear if they left and that was in a 4 bedroom house.

I find it odd that her parents didn't check to see if she wanted to go to church, or check on her at all before they left. Strikes me as odd. Even if I knew my girls were asleep, I would check on them BEFORE I left and leave them a note! Odd.

Did they know she drank or used drugs at all? (The toxicology report). Were they used to her sneaking out to meet friends? Something with this whole scenario is strange.

If it was a "friend", why would she have had her pants and coat off. If they are SURE there was no foul play, but suspect that she will have something show up in a toxicology report, do they have information about parties that night or friends of hers that were seen nearby?

VERY strange.

I am local and I am sooooooooo disappointed in the media coverage. It feels so hush, hush. No explanation for the footprints to and from body. No explanation for coat and pants. No mention if she had shoes on or a purse. No mention of family having seen her the night before.
I have seen several comments that indicate a party the night before and I have even asked a local girl to let me know what the gossip vine is saying and that is pitiful that I have to resort to comments and a gossip vine for information. I wonder if they will even cover the autopsy report when it comes in. Lets all give it two weeks from today then all email the reporters who covered the stories and see if we can find one with the guts to ask the hard questions.
RIP - Karen, if someone did this to you we will do our best not to let them sweep it under a rug. You deserve better!

I am so glad that you are involved, since you are right there News Junkie! You have a great idea about writing to the reporters! Count me in!

VERY strange.
bbm

It is *very* common for people suffering from hypothermia to perceive feelings of too much warmth and remove clothing, usually very shortly before the end. This is why duck hunters and hikers can sometimes be found by tracing their discarded clothing.

bbm

It is *very* common for people suffering from hypothermia to perceive feelings of too much warmth and remove clothing, usually very shortly before the end. This is why duck hunters and hikers can sometimes be found by tracing their discarded clothing.

Carbuff - yes, it is but LE has stated the death was not HYPOTHERMIA.

And they add the weather/cold was not an issue or CAD.

For some reason I just can't stop thinking about this poor girl. She lived only a few miles from us but our kids go to a different school. I found a different facebook post that someone put up but spelled her last name wrong. I think it was R.I.P. Karen Kappleman. Karen's Mom posted a comment in which after she spoke about the wonderful future her daughter had ahead of her she then said, Adults should never be giving alcohol to minors and if you see that happening you should call 911. Her post was dated March 3rd. I know there was two high school parties that night, one with the adults there who allowed drinking and one in which the mother was not home at the time. I don't know if she was at the party because I heard there were alot of people there and since she was new to the school some of the kids may not have known her. One of my friends husband is a police officer and he said it was drugs and alcohol but of course nothing is confirmed yet. I hope if an adult let this happen that they will be brought to justice. My heart breaks for this family.

For some reason I just can't stop thinking about this poor girl. She lived only a few miles from us but our kids go to a different school. I found a different facebook post that someone put up but spelled her last name wrong. I think it was R.I.P. Karen Kappleman. Karen's Mom posted a comment in which after she spoke about the wonderful future her daughter had ahead of her she then said, Adults should never be giving alcohol to minors and if you see that happening you should call 911. Her post was dated March 3rd. I know there was two high school parties that night, one with the adults there who allowed drinking and one in which the mother was not home at the time. I don't know if she was at the party because I heard there were alot of people there and since she was new to the school some of the kids may not have known her. One of my friends husband is a police officer and he said it was drugs and alcohol but of course nothing is confirmed yet. I hope if an adult let this happen that they will be brought to justice. My heart breaks for this family.

LTC - first Welcome to WS! Second, welcome neighbor !!!!!!!! Can you post a link to that facebook?
Ask you hubby if we can or will get a copy of the autospy - I bet he will know. I would imagine if there is not an ongoing investigation (and maybe even if there is) we should.
I have been picking up party in all the comments since it happened. One thing about teens they blab - thank goodness at times. Must have to do with that impulse control not being fully developed yet!

AGAIN _ WELCOME_ :smiliescale::smiliescale::smiliescale:
:smiliescale::smiliescale:

I am sorry I don't know how to post the link to the facebook page. If you have a facebook just type in R.I.P. Karen Kappleman,notice the mispelled name, and it should come up. When it comes up there are two headings so check out both, different comments on both from her Mom. I will try and find out about the autopsy, it is not my husband but a friend of mine's husband. I just spoke to another friend this morning and asked if her daughter heard any rumors and she said the girl had taken ecstasy, this is only a rumor she heard. If you are from around here then you know the police do keep a tight lid on investigations and we might never really hear what took place. People seem to think she woke up at her own apartment and went outside and I guess collapsed. I'll post any other things I may hear. Let me know if you are able to find the facebook site, there are several of them but this one with the misspelled last name is the one her Mom leaves a heartfelt comment about.

Thank you everyone for not letting this just go away. I appreciate all the updates and information.

Disturbing...however, I'm thinking it was an overdose...when someone ODs or just has a bad reaction, sometimes you can get really hot as a reaction to the drug...that may explain her clothes off and nearby. Ecstasy and coke could both produce those reactions..given her age and lack of income, i'm going to guess she had an adverse reaction or got a bad load of ecstasy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back