KY KY - Kevin Gilpin, 18, Russell County, 2 April 1997

I am new here, first post.

I am in the area, grew up in Casey County, now live one County over.
I remember when the body was found, and remember reading about it in the Casey County News. I didn't know until I got on here and did a search that they had identified the body.

I agree with the other Ky. poster about drugs in the area, and I do remmeber reading about other drug related deaths over the years.
One in particular was a young boy who had turned informant, and was murdered. I remember reading about the trial.

The problem with Local LE in this area is multidimensional. First of all anyone can be elected Sheriff, no experience or education required. Now, if you can imagine a farmer, recently elected Sheriff going out to investigate something like that. Another problem, everyone is related to or close friends with someone who knows someone etc. It is only the powerful who might have a chance getting something done.
Ky. State Police probably does a much better job than Local Law Enforcement, lets hope they were called in quickly.

Wish I could give a more encouraging report, but just stating the way I see it in this region.

I agree the one who made the phone call should be questioned, and perhaps given a Lie Detector Test.

You are so very right. (And welcome to Websleuths too, by the way...). However, the State Police are also just as "dirty" around where I live in many different ways. However, I am wondering if they weren't called since this apparently took place in two different counties. I might do a check to find out if I get time in the next few days.

I am new here, first post.

I am in the area, grew up in Casey County, now live one County over.
I remember when the body was found, and remember reading about it in the Casey County News. I didn't know until I got on here and did a search that they had identified the body.

I agree with the other Ky. poster about drugs in the area, and I do remmeber reading about other drug related deaths over the years.
One in particular was a young boy who had turned informant, and was murdered. I remember reading about the trial.

The problem with Local LE in this area is multidimensional. First of all anyone can be elected Sheriff, no experience or education required. Now, if you can imagine a farmer, recently elected Sheriff going out to investigate something like that. Another problem, everyone is related to or close friends with someone who knows someone etc. It is only the powerful who might have a chance getting something done.
Ky. State Police probably does a much better job than Local Law Enforcement, lets hope they were called in quickly.

Wish I could give a more encouraging report, but just stating the way I see it in this region.

I agree the one who made the phone call should be questioned, and perhaps given a Lie Detector Test.
Dearest Wherego,:blowkiss:
Welcome and thank-you so very much for your post.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

You are so very right. (And welcome to Websleuths too, by the way...). However, the State Police are also just as "dirty" around where I live in many different ways. However, I am wondering if they weren't called since this apparently took place in two different counties. I might do a check to find out if I get time in the next few days.
My dearest Kygal,:blowkiss:

I am very happy to see you.

Your help with Kevin is so very much appreciated.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Thanks for the welcome Kygal. and dark shadows

The State Police are involved now, at least, as I saw this case on their website. I was just wondering how soon they got involved though. I hope they were called immediately and even got there before the removal of the body from the well. I just think they would have a better knowledge of what to do.

About your statement of the State Police being just as "dirty" I really don't have any personal knowledge of that, but I can agree with you from some things I have heard. Not to say they are all bad.

If on the slim chance the one who murdered him was found, justice might not ever be done. In my opinion the Judges, & Prosecuting attorney's around here are the lowest of the lowest. Even if the Police did their work and found the murderer, if he happen to be "in the loop" they would find a way to get him off.

If there is a more inept justice system in this country then there is right here, I would really not like to see it.

Sorry to sort of get off topic, but I do feel what I said pertains to the case in a way. I think people should be aware of what "really" goes on in our Courthouses, and Justice System.

Back to direct statements. Since it was over 6 years from the time he went missing until he was found, really makes it hard for police. It would be impossible to go back and ask people at that pool hall if they seen him on such and such date and time. It would be hard to question any suspects for alibis, as people just wouldn't have a memory like that.

Your analysis of the "good old boys system" is not limited to your area. Would you believe several judges, attorneys, and officers are racketball, tennis buddies? This was told to me by an attorney from another county who refuses to take a case in our county. She said with this system there's no way an attorney that's not in their network can win a case.

Thanks for the welcome Kygal. and dark shadows

The State Police are involved now, at least, as I saw this case on their website. I was just wondering how soon they got involved though. I hope they were called immediately and even got there before the removal of the body from the well. I just think they would have a better knowledge of what to do.

About your statement of the State Police being just as "dirty" I really don't have any personal knowledge of that, but I can agree with you from some things I have heard. Not to say they are all bad.

If on the slim chance the one who murdered him was found, justice might not ever be done. In my opinion the Judges, & Prosecuting attorney's around here are the lowest of the lowest. Even if the Police did their work and found the murderer, if he happen to be "in the loop" they would find a way to get him off.

If there is a more inept justice system in this country then there is right here, I would really not like to see it.

Sorry to sort of get off topic, but I do feel what I said pertains to the case in a way. I think people should be aware of what "really" goes on in our Courthouses, and Justice System.

Back to direct statements. Since it was over 6 years from the time he went missing until he was found, really makes it hard for police. It would be impossible to go back and ask people at that pool hall if they seen him on such and such date and time. It would be hard to question any suspects for alibis, as people just wouldn't have a memory like that.
Dearest Wherego,:blowkiss:
I appreciate your post very much and I hope you stay in touch with us on this thread.
All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Trino

I hoped it wasn't that way everywhere, but was afraid it was.
I didn't really know it was like this, until about 10 years ago.
I tried to help a domestic violence victim through the maze of the Court System. I was shocked, outraged, and sickened by what I saw and experienced first hand.

You are exactly right about the network, we were told the exact same thing. Here I don't think an attorney ever does one bit of work on a case.
I think the case is decided by a flip of the coin, while the attorneys and the judge are out on the golf course.

And forget reporting this to the State Bar Association, it is made up of, guess what, attorneys. They protect their own.

Sad, very sad!

To my very dearest Wherego,:blowkiss:
Have you heard anything at all about Kevin's murder?
Do you have any articles that you can post? There is not much at all in the search engines. i was wondering if there was anything in the newspapers that can be reviewed.

All of my Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

I am thinking of Kevin and want to bump his thread.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

11 years this month Kevin went missing and was found murdered.
Do any of the Kentucky posters on this board have any links about this case to offer?

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

They should have been able to solve this case off the bat; being it was such a small town and all. They should have been able to retrace Kevin's steps that night at the pool hall. I wonder if one of his "friends" back then, had a relative in LE or politics there..
Dark Shadows, i too, wonder about that friend who called the grandmother. Why pick the grandmother as opposed to the mother, the sister? Maybe if Kevin's grandmother was hard of hearing, the friend that called knew this to pull it off. I hope they can track down whoever it was..
Why even call the grandmother or his family at all? Aside from to throw off an investigation. The person said he called to ease Kevin's grandmother's mind; yet people want to know the truth.

They should have been able to solve this case off the bat; being it was such a small town and all. They should have been able to retrace Kevin's steps that night at the pool hall. I wonder if one of his "friends" back then, had a relative in LE or politics there..
Dark Shadows, i too, wonder about that friend who called the grandmother. Why pick the grandmother as opposed to the mother, the sister? Maybe if Kevin's grandmother was hard of hearing, the friend that called knew this to pull it off. I hope they can track down whoever it was..
Why even call the grandmother or his family at all? Aside from to throw off an investigation. The person said he called to ease Kevin's grandmother's mind; yet people want to know the truth.
My very dearest MeoW,:blowkiss:
I appreciate your post so very much MeoW. I hope and pray that the friend who called Kevin's grandmother was checked out by Law Enforcement. I am grateful that you also see that something is very wrong with the "friend" making that phone call.
It is ironic that an Officer at the Erlanger Police Department in Kentucky has the same name as Kevin.
Scroll down on this link to find Kentucky Police Officer Kevin Gilpin;
http://www.ci.erlanger.ky.us/departments/police/index.php
I truly hope that this Officer is related to Kevin and that he is doing all that he can do to find answers. If he is not related, I hope that he is doing all he can for a person with the same name as his in that state just because...

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

Meow, I too think that the friend should be questioned a bit more. But I do want to enlighten you on this particular area. The town I live in has SEVEN unsolved murders. One recently involved the beating death of an entire family (including a baby less than one year old) and burned in their trailer.

People here know stuff, and I can all but guarantee you that some (if not most) of the people in that town have heard something. But there is not one way in "the really bad place" that you'll get them to talk to the police. In the example above, I was teaching at the time and nearly EVERY kid knew exactly who was involved and what it was about. It has been nearly four years and they have just now arrested the main leader of the group.
My very dearest MeoW,:blowkiss:
I appreciate your post so very much MeoW. I hope and pray that the friend who called Kevin's grandmother was checked out by Law Enforcement. I am grateful that you also see that something is very wrong with the "friend" making that phone call.
It is ironic that an Officer at the Erlanger Police Department in Kentucky has the same name as Kevin.
Scroll down on this link to find Kentucky Police Officer Kevin Gilpin;
http://www.ci.erlanger.ky.us/departments/police/index.php
I truly hope that this Officer is related to Kevin and that he is doing all that he can do to find answers. If he is not related, I hope that he is doing all he can for a person with the same name as his in that state just because...

dark_shadows

The officer that you are talking of is NOT related to him, as I know him pretty well. But if you have anything you want to tell him he'll be glad to take the info to whomever it needs to go to.

Thank-you for commenting on MeoW's post when she responed to me asking about Kevin's friend calling Kevin's grandmother.
Thank-you for stating that the Officer is not related to Kevin.

Although your friend is not involved in the case and is not related to Kevin, I am wondering if he is researching Kevin's case just because they have the same name. Out of the goodness of his heart. Can you please ask him if he is reserching this case.

I appriciate your posts so very much Kygal. I always look foward to hearing from you.
dark_shadows

D_S, I will the next time I hear from his family (which is how I know him). I do know that the investigator in that region still has the case open as well -- so he has not been forgotten at all. But it IS about cold as ice because people must be afraid of whoever is involved.

I also called my friend at the news station, and she is going to speak to her station manager to see about it because it is out of their coverage area -- and he's on vacation this week. She sounded interested. Keep your fingers crossed and we'll see.

You are an :angel: .

Thank-you very much for calling your friend at the news station. My fingers are crossed! Have you able to locate the newspaper articles or news station videos about Kevin? When he disappeared and when he was found?

dark_shadows

You are an :angel: .

Thank-you very much for calling your friend at the news station. My fingers are crossed! Have you able to locate the newspaper articles or news station videos about Kevin? When he disappeared and when he was found?

dark_shadows

I have found absolutely NOTHING on his disappearance, or eventual location. I filled out the form for archived information from the news station and supposedly if they have anything they'll send it in two days or so. (online archives are only for one year -- ugh!!)

Everything other than what's here is about the WAY he was identified. Apparently at the time the technology used was relatively new and he was one of the first to be identified by it.

ETA: I know that somewhere in the stuff from the news they said that the well was VERY old (part of the original farm dug by the first to settle on it), had been sealed up when the county put water lines through, and when he was murdered someone opened it up and reclosed it. The land was bought by a more conservative Amish family that opened it up (refusing to use the water lines from the city) and found the body in the well.

It seemed like too that something had happened at the pool hall, and he was involved. Everyone mentioned that he was a great kid -- friendly and really quiet, but ran with a rough crowd that was known to drink/use drugs.

Dearest Kygal,:blowkiss:
I appreciate the fact that you have looked for articles. I could not even find ones that you have to pay for to read.
Can you please find out if the one who called Kevin's grandmother was checked out?
there has to be someone that was in the pool hall that night that would say something. Maybe the person has no idea that they can help. I hope that your friend runs this story. Maybe then someone will speak out. There has been little to no exposure about this.
You are right in saying that something happened at the pool hall. I feel the same. The case needs media exposure and it should have been done when Kevin first went missing.

dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg