KY - Multiple casualties in active shooter situation at Old National Bank in Louisville, Apr 2023 *suspect dead*

I think the parents had no idea he had bought a weapon.

IMO they obviously thought their son "borrowed" it from the gf, as if it was a spur of the moment decision.

Unfortunately, it seems that it was not.

JMO
DBM

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

IMO…even if Sturgeon only “thought” he was about to be fired. His fear would have been realistic. My daughter (age 52) has seen this change first hand. She has worked for a family-owned, medium size corporation for over 25 years and now manages her own team at corporate headquarters. She has survived many small layoffs over the years, but told us recently that due to increased layoffs all the teams are expected to do more projects with fewer people and that morale is low. Some who have worked there as long as she has have been let go. This company has had a good reputation for treating employees well. But I suggested she polish her resume and not to expect loyalty from the corporation. And I worry about workplace violence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what they thought he wanted the gun for? Not shaming the parents, I would wonder if one of my kids, who are NOT hunters or LE suddenly had a gun like that.
He did not live with them. Additionally, they had no idea he had purchased a gun. He's an adult with no known criminal history. IMHO

My older kids are successful, have jobs and don't live with me. They could be running meth labs for all I know. Lol. I'm kidding, obviously....I hope.

He did not live with them. Additionally, they had no idea he had purchased a gun. He's an adult with no known criminal history. IMHO

My older kids are successful, have jobs and don't live with me. They could be running meth labs for all I know. Lol. I'm kidding, obviously....I hope.
I thought they did! I’ll delete post!

My understanding was the same. the mother indicated they had no idea about the gun.

Snipped & bolded by me.
May I ask what type of change did you notice? Just curious. If you don't feel comfortable sharing, I understand!
A relative was in a very serious car accident and got a concussion that was somewhat overlooked because of her other injuries. She functioned during her recovery but afterwards said she can’t remember at all what happened during that year of her life. Her children were also injured in the crash (they were broadsided by a drunk driver). As time passed she became more and more protective of them (up to home schooling them from K through high school), also became more suspicious of the world in general, wary of people’s motivations and extremely judgmental. She is now only able to see issues in either black or white; very uncomfortable with “gray areas,” very invested in being “right” and telling others when they are “wrong.” I also believe she still has PTSD from the accident, and that, in conjunction with the concussion has truly changed her personality from what it once was (used to be much more positive and happy). So I could see multiple concussions definitely being a possible underlying cause for this shooters actions (and possibly for the “mental health issues” his parents mentioned he had).

I only heard the mom's 911 call on CNN. In that version, there was a word redacted at the very beginning of the call. I think she said "He's [redacted} ..." Has anyone seen a different version. I've been trying to guess what word would have been redacted. My guess was suicidal. But I'm not sure why that would be redacted by the police from a 911 call.

I honestly have a very hard time believing these reports. Does everyone who plays these games become violent? Of course not! BUT, my personal belief is that they do become desensitized. Some of those games are so life like it’s unbelievable and scary.
As a gamer who avoids games like that because I'm sensitive to violence, I think its more that people who already don't care are drawn to them. Most people who play them are never violent and are well and truly capable of separating fact from fiction.

His history of concussions and football playing is certainly interesting, CTE should really be better known. Even if just so that people who play football or receive concussions be better monitored long term, not just for a couple of days after receiving the concussion.

Perhaps you can answer a couple of questions I have regarding different conditions regarding mental illness or a syndrome like Tourette's where an individual has uncontrolled motor and vocal tics. For instance, some people with Tourette's have bursts of profanity. I know they have no control over these outbursts but why do they use profanity, why not some other phrase or word that isn't profane? And why do some people with schizophrenia hear voices that tell them to do bad or dangerous things to other people? I knew one man who had schizophrenia but he thought he was the second coming of Christ; he wasn't in any way a danger to others. Ultimately, he committed suicide. What is the ratio of persons afflicted with schizophrenia where auditory hallucinations lead them to self harm rather than externalize their delusions by harming others. I'm not just referring to mass killings since I would think those percentages would be miniscule.
Some Tourette's people do indeed use words that aren't profanity. Anecdote: A man I dated in college told me about being at a bar with some friends, and there was a guy there who kept yelling, "Hey!" They started doing that too, and then one of his friends walked over and said, "Guys, my friend has Tourette's syndrome, and he would really appreciate it if you would stop doing that." They apologized and offered to buy him a beer, and they ended up sitting together and he turned out to be pretty cool guy, who happened to yell "Hey!" every few minutes.

More recently, I worked with a woman who would clear her throat very loudly every few minutes, and I suspect she too may have had it. She did have asthma, but it didn't explain this.

Profanity and some slang do not originate in the same part of the brain was "regular" speech, which is why some people who have brain damage may not lose, ahem, THOSE words.

I only heard the mom's 911 call on CNN. In that version, there was a word redacted at the very beginning of the call. I think she said "He's [redacted} ..." Has anyone seen a different version. I've been trying to guess what word would have been redacted. My guess was suicidal. But I'm not sure why that would be redacted by the police from a 911 call.
Here is a link with the transcript:

ETA. Per this article, the autopsy will include review for CTE (per shooter's father).

From link:

Sturgeon's family has not yet spoken with the media. His father, Todd Sturgeon, did reach out to WLKY saying they are postponing media for now out of respect for the victims.

He also said they are having Connor tested for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE.

End Quote

Fortunately because of the NFLs new hardline stance on concussion protocols, CTE is front and center. Hopefully it will stay there and get everyone the help they need. A helmet needed during basketball screams “My head needs attention now!” To me!

Fortunately because of the NFLs new hardline stance on concussion protocols, CTE is front and center. Hopefully it will stay there and get everyone the help they need. A helmet needed during basketball screams “My head needs attention now!” To me!
Bbm Yes. Agree wholeheartedly.

As for the NFL and CTE...Phillip Adam's parents just filed suit against the NFL this week.

Perhaps you can answer a couple of questions I have regarding different conditions regarding mental illness or a syndrome like Tourette's where an individual has uncontrolled motor and vocal tics. For instance, some people with Tourette's have bursts of profanity. I know they have no control over these outbursts but why do they use profanity, why not some other phrase or word that isn't profane?

I don't want to veer off topic so I'll keep it brief, but it's because Tourette's (which is a neurologic disorder rather than mental illness, though it is listed in the DSM) is thought to affect a specific area of the brain that regulates emotions and aggression. Not everyone with Tourette's curses. Some have vocal tics that are like grunts.

And why do some people with schizophrenia hear voices that tell them to do bad or dangerous things to other people? I knew one man who had schizophrenia but he thought he was the second coming of Christ; he wasn't in any way a danger to others. Ultimately, he committed suicide. What is the ratio of persons afflicted with schizophrenia where auditory hallucinations lead them to self harm rather than externalize their delusions by harming others. I'm not just referring to mass killings since I would think those percentages would be miniscule.

Most people with schizophrenia do not harm anyone. The paranoid subtype is the one that's hardest to predict. They literally are so frightened by their beliefs that they end up hurting themselves and can potentially hurt others due to the paranoia. Imagine living in constant fear 24/7 because you just know the person next to you is plotting your murder. That's what they live with. Still, the vast majority will take their own life before they harm anyone else. It's a very small percentage that hurt others. They are also more likely to be victims of crime (because they're different and vulnerable) than the perpetrators. Schizophrenia is a very cruel illness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back