KY KY - Regina Renee Cox, 18, Somerset, 23 Aug 1997

I will def. do some research. I also wanted to list Heather Teague's case on here, but I really do not think her case is connected just because of the circumstances. I am going to look through articles for all these cases and see-I do not remember ever seeing a person of interest for Regina's case but I will double check that as well!

http://www.maysville-online.com/new...cle_543c286d-38b1-53ea-bc38-1ea8b2fe3388.html

^Here is an article on Erica Fraysure that mentions Regina Cox. It states LE has been following up on the possibility that Erica's disappearance as well as Regina's are related to missing girl Lydia Perkins, and other disappearances and homicides in Southern Ohio.
Lydia Perkins: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/perkins_lydia.html

A person of interest in Erica's disappearance is Shane Simcox. It says in the article above he was last seen with her, and "lawyered up" right away after her disappearance. But it also says there are many more persons of interest, who have not been made known to the public yet.
A main rumor around the local area is that Erica died of a drug overdose with friends, and they panicked and fed her to the hogs (sorry to be graphic). Im not sure if people made this up because Shane Simcox works at a hog farm, or if it has some truth to it. I did find another article that says Shane pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing and third degree burglary. It also stated he left state for a bit and refused a lie detector test. If Shane is responsible, I do not think Erica's case is connected to Regina's or any other.

Another suspect I have found who is in Heather Teague's case is Christopher Below. He was convicted for the murder of Kathryn Fetzner (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fetzer_kathern.html), even though they never found her remains. She vanished on her way to the mall in Medina, OH 1991. Her car was found abandoned in a remote area 25 miles away. The only reason I bring him up is because he may have personally known Kathern from OH through an affair, but the fact he is being tied to Heather's case (from kY) along with another individual says to me he may have started attacking women in various areas after he got away with Kathern's disappearance that somewhat resemble her.
He is also thought to be connected to Shaylene Farrell, which was one of the young ladies I had listed above, and two other women. It seems like LE believe he is a repeat offender.

In Paige Renkoski's disappearance, a witness saw her leaving with three unknown African American males. Her abandoned car was found a but later with her items inside. Sketches can be seen on her Charley Project page.

Also missing from Lexington KY four years before Lydia Perkins, was Sharon Rose Sons. who was last seen by her boyfriend to use the phone at the laundromat, and vanished. Her case is frustrating because it's not as active, and there's not much info. I have wondered if the boyfriend was a person of interest. However, if he was cleared, it seems possible she was a victim of Christopher Below, or someone else who has never gotten caught.

Those few people of interest are all I was able to find on these cases. If anyone can find more, please share!

Hi!
New here :)

I live in TX and for years I have wanted to know what has happened to Jessica Cain she went missing August 17, 1997 That is six days before Regina went missing and a little over a thousand miles away. Their cars were left the same way belongings inside and keys missing... And of course the striking resemblance both petite caucasian brunettes with light eyes and heart shaped face

Hello, and welcome to Websleuths!!!! Thank you so much for your post!

I remember watching 48 Hours on the Killing Field/Highway to Hell. There are many women who turned up murdered or who are still missing along I-45 in TX, and I believe Jessica Cain was one of the girls on the list. It's such an intriguing concept, the Highway to Hell, because no one knows if it's the work of one serial killer or different ones. I for one do not believe all these are done by one person, just because despite it happened along I-45, not all the MOs are the same, and the time span goes from 70s up to '06 i believe.
Now is it impossible for a serial killer to have different MOs and operate that long? Yes. But is it likely? No.
After reading about the girls, I believe there are some that look connected and others that stick out as not:
http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-18559_162-10009885.html

Another girl who's disappearance reminds me of Jessica Cain's is Brandi Wells, also from Texas:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wells_brandi.html

It looks like Johnathon David Drew, an auto mechanic is thought to be responsible for Jessica's disappearance, based on his background and the fact he drives a car similar to the one Jessica was seen getting into in the wee hours of the night.
Her case also looks to be connected to some murders, and disappearances of Suzanne Richerson, Sondra Rambler, and Michelle Thomas. (Michelle Thomas just doesn't seem to be connected to me, because she was an informant for a drug bust, and that seems like a a totally different motive.)
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cain_jessica.html

Excited to here your thoughts!

I have always wondered if there was a serial killer operating in the KY/OH area, just because all the girls vanished in similar ways, with vehicles being found, they vanished in similar time span as well as all having similar characteristics.

I also do not believe there was just one killer. Ed bell claims to be responsible for eleven of the murders in the seventies he calls them "the eleven that went to heaven" He seemed to like preteen and teenage girls and even abducted some in pairs.
SUSPECT: Edward Bell and the "Eleven Who Went to Heaven" - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

And then we have Anthony Allen shore "the strangler" http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/shore-anthony.htm

In 1998 Jonathan David Drew was charged with the murder of Tina flood, he was 25.
Sondra Ramber went missing in 1983 which means Drew was only 10 when she disappeared.
Michelle Thomas in 1985 he was 12.
And Suzanne Richerson in 1988 he was 15.

I don't believe he is the suspect in those cases..the only thing that is out for the public is that he had access to a cherry red Isuzu around the time Jessica went missing. However police did find a vial of several human teeth in his home along with panties and ski masks. I don't know if they found a "trophy" something that may have belonged to Jessica but for him to be the only suspect in her case is upsetting.

Maybe Drew isn't responsible for her disappearance and we have a bigger monster on our hands than we think..

I'm still checking other states as well for other possible connections.

It's been over three years since anyone posted anything on this poor young woman's thread.
I did a quick google search and found nothing recent for her, either.
I went through the KY UIDs, and submitted a potential match for Regina and Shively KY Jane Doe as I didn't see her ruled out, and, after a quick check, didn't see where she'd been submitted. She has most likely been ruled out with dental as Regina's DNA status is "sample available, not yet submitted" and both have dental records available, but I thought it was worth it to get an official yay or nay, just in case.
Her profile in NamUs hasn't bee updated in years.
Regina's NamUs:https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7018/0/
The UID's Doe and NamUs: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/74
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/530ufky.html

I was initially pointed in this direction by Topix, of all places, but thought this was worth posting because I was able to corroborate the most important parts of it in MSM.

There was a recruiter, initials TRF, who was at that recruiting station that she disappeared from. He was convicted of multiple rapes and at least one kidnapping. It was around the same time. He was later exonerated on (imo) a ridiculous technicality, but I am feeling like this is the guy.

The second teen-ager, who did not know the first, came forward in May 1997, saying Forbes had raped her in October 1996, Ludmer said. The two victims gave similar accounts. Each said Forbes drove her around for hours in his car, then stopped after dark in a remote area and raped her, Ludmer said.

He was assigned to the Somerset recruiting office from October 1995 until February 1997, when he was moved to administrative duty. That action came after one of the teen-agers accused Forbes

A Navy recruiter formerly assigned to Somerset was sentenced to 15 years in military prison for raping a teen-ager from the area who wanted to join the Navy. Petty Officer 1st Class T*** R****** Forbes also was convicted of sexually assaulting another potential recruit, also a Somerset teen-ager, the Navy said. Forbes, 36, was convicted Sunday

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/110865097/

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Pages/casedetail.aspx?caseid=3832

The only thing that is bothering me is that it says he was a recruiter at that location from October 1995 to February 1997, when he was moved to administrative duty because of the allegations. Regina didn't go missing until August 1997. That leaves me with a couple questions that perhaps someone with military knowledge could answer?

1) Would he still have been at the same physical location while on administrative duty?
2) If she was visiting the recruiting center in August 1997 (when she disappeared), could she have enlisted or been seeing the recruiter in February 1997 or earlier while he was still there in a recruiting role?
3) After February 1997, he obviously knew he was in trouble, could that have been a reason why he had to do something so that Regina wouldn't decide to speak up also? Would he have waited until August to do that?

Note: I could not find any MSM stating he was ever named a suspect in Regina's disappearance, but the fact that he was in the exact location she disappeared from and has these convictions, made me think it was worth posting.

I never posted a follow up on my submission, and it's been eight months. Sorry.
NamUs got back to me right away last October, stating they were working on it.
I don't see Regina listed on the rule out list & her DNA still isn't complete.

Regina Cox was last seen about 11:30 a.m. August 23, 1997 leaving the parking lot of the Armed Services Recruiting Station in Somerset. She was driving a white Chevrolet Cavalier later found about 5:30 a.m. August 24, 1997 in Wal-Mart parking lot in Somerset, approximately a mile from the recruiting station. Inside her locked car, her mother found her purse, driver’s license, money and other personal items. Missing were her car keys.

Cox was last seen wearing a tie dyed T-shirt, blue jeans, and sandals. Her middle name is Renee and her nickname is Reggie. She was 18 when she disappeared and would be 38 now. Cox is 5 feet, 2 inches tall, and when she went missing she weighed between 106 and 115 pounds. She had shoulder-length hair and green eyes and scars on her right elbow and right wrist.

59fa4b71c052c.image.jpg

http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/ne...cle_c8e0cd78-bf53-11e7-84ac-ebe776dd4a5e.html

I'm conflicted about the missing car keys that link many of these cases - it could just be a coincidence, but it could also be the trophy this person takes. It's a very inconspicuous thing to take IMO, not like if this person had cut off locks of hair or something. The keys don't stand out as a signature of any kind. Again, maybe a coincidence, or maybe this person is just smart.

The man with convictions on the naval base does look promising. Other than him, I don't see many other theories as to what could've happened to her, aside from the potentially connected cases. (great job, amber1 - I'm sure that list took quite a bit of time to compile!)

Bumping for Regina. It's been over a year since anyone posted here.
With all the changes at Namus, I never had a follow up or update on the comparison between Regina and Shively JD, but if someone wants to log into NamUs to see if she's been ruled out, feel free. I left my password at home so I can't-sorry :)
Anyways, here is her updated Charley page:
Regina Renee Cox – The Charley Project

Regina Renee Cox – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Regina Renee Cox
  • regina_renee_cox_1.jpg
  • regina_renee_cox_2.jpg
  • regina_renee_cox_3.jpg
  • Missing Since08/23/1997
  • Missing FromSomerset, Kentucky
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth07/10/1979 (39)
  • Age18 years old
  • Height and Weight5'2, 110 - 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA tie-dyed t-shirt, blue jeans and black sandals.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, green eyes. Cox has scars on her right elbow and on her right wrist. Her ears are pierced. Cox's nickname is Reggie.
Details of Disappearance
Cox was last seen leaving the parking lot of the United States Armed Services Recruiting Station in her hometown of Somerset, Kentucky on August 23, 1997 at approximately 11:30 a.m. She has never been heard from again.

Her mother discovered Cox's vehicle abandoned in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart store across the street from the Recruiting Station at approximately 5:30 a.m.on August 24, the following morning. Her car was locked and her purse, identification and money was inside the vehicle. There was no sign of Cox at the scene and her car keys were not located.

Cox was born in Hamilton County, Ohio. She joined the U.S. Navy prior to her disappearance and was scheduled to report to the Great Lakes Recruit Training Center in Illinois on September 9, 1997. Her family believes that she was taken against her will. Her case remains unsolved.

Regina Renee Cox had joined the U.S. Navy and was scheduled to report to the Great Lakes Recruit Training Center in Illinois on September 9, 1997.

On August 23, 1997, about two weeks before Regina Cox was scheduled to leave for training, she left the United States Armed Services Recruiting Station in her hometown of Somerset, Kentucky around 11:30 AM and was never seen or heard from again.

The day after her disappearance, Regina’s mother located her vehicle abandoned in the Walmart parking lot across the street from the recruiting station at about 5:30 AM.

Regina Cox’s vehicle was locked and her purse, identification and money was all found inside the vehicle. The keys for the vehicle were not found and there was no sign of Regina Cox around the vehicle.

Regina Cox was 18 years old at the time she disappeared in 1997. Regina is 5 feet 2 inches tall and weighed 106 to 115 pounds. Regina Cox has brown shoulder length hair and green eyes. Regina has a scar on her right elbow and a scar on her right wrist.

When Regina was last seen, she was wearing a tie-dyed t-shirt, blue jeans, black sandals and a blue star sapphire ring on her left hand. Regina Cox was also known to be referred to by the nickname “Reggie” .

If you have any information about the whereabouts of Regina Renee Cox, contact the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department at 606-678-5145 reference case # 97-08-0914

or the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) Resident Agency in Memphis, Tennessee at 901-874-5387 (NamUs MP # 7018)

Pulaski County Sheriff Missing Person Bulletin: Pulaski County Sheriff's Department - Regina Cox Missing Person

NAMPN.org: http://www.nampn.org/cases/cox_regina.html

Read more: Regina Renee Cox

Poor girl I think she was kidnapped by some psychopath who spoke well to her or comparing experiences in the military or she was quickly recruited by the army for something urgent and important but never so much as to leave her without getting home ...
Personally, she was very beautiful, pretty face and shy eyes .. I hope that one day she knows that she really happened.
rest in peace regina

Nashville Jane Doe (1998)

I turned in this. The age is off. But that happens alot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211202-103734_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-103734_Chrome.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 7

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members