Kyron Horman's stepmother is a profile in contradictions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terri had a car accident leaving her with a pinched nerve and severe migraines - she was married to Eckert. Maybe she paid for her Master's with money from the law suit. moo

She divorced Ecker in January 2002.

Is there any proof that Terri filed a lawsuit because of the crash and that she won a settlement from it?

Pretty sure the body building was before Kaine and Terri married - maybe she used money from her car accident, or had some of her own. Kaine surely would have told us if he paid for it. moo As far as the marriage in Hawaii and the car - sounds to me like Kaine loved the woman he was with and gave her gifts as so many men in love do. moo mho

Timeline of Terri and Kaine's Relationship:

The bodybuilding began in earnest in the spring of 2002.

Terri met Kaine at a restaurant in June 2002 and they started dating.

Kyron was born September 2002.

Terri and Kaine moved in together in December 2002.

Terri earned her master's of art ed in 2003.

Terri competed in the Emerald Cup BB competition in April 2005.

She got her DUI in July 2005.

She and Kaine got married in March 2007.

About the wedding:

Someone (me, maybe?) brought up the extravagant price of a Hawaii wedding in response to you saying that their wedding couldn't have cost that much, since they got married in their bathing suits.

Is there any proof that Terri filed a lawsuit because of the crash and that she won a settlement from it?

About the wedding:

Someone (me, maybe?) brought up the extravagant price of a Hawaii wedding in response to you saying that their wedding couldn't have cost that much, since they got married in their bathing suits.

Above BBM.. I know firsthand how much it costs to go to Maui and Kauai I've been to both. Guess it depends solely on your "wealth"(for lack of a better word) of what your opinion would be on how expensive..

We are straight-up middle class and it costs a fortune to go to either of these islands. On our first trip we too inquired about getting married there and I'll put it this way, I'd have to get married in my bathing suit too as I sure wouldn't be able to afford a penny to go for wedding attire(and this in no way means there is a certain attire that needs to be worn for a wedding) am simply stating that Maui and Kauai weddings are really expensive(JUST THE CEREMONY ALONE) and that IS NOT INCLUDING the trip, accomodations, meals, etc, etc, etc, (and believe me there are ALLOT OF ETCS when you're vacationing on the Hawaiian islands)

IMO a wedding there is EXTRAVAGANT even if you're in bathing suit, pjs, or birthday suit, either way it is EXPENSIVE.

About the wedding:

I looked on OJIN and she did file suit and settled out of court within 6 months. No idea how much $.

a rellie was in a car accident and the attorney had him wait for some years in order to assess the damage to his body. Totally not his fault.

There was a little glitch in the lawsuit which I won't go into ( a huge problem of the attorney's making)

The rellie ended up with $8,000 although I have no idea what would have happened if the attorney had not goofed it up.

I assume as with most family laws, statutes, etc that they vary from state to state. So, I can only say how it is here[just for point of reference I'm 2,320 miles away from Portland, OR :)]...

So, this is what I know in the past 12 months(so this is current) a mother who has had primary custody of her two school aged children with the father having visitation rights and also paying a good chunk of money monthly to her each month for both children's support. The woman that had been babysitting these 2 children for the past 9 yrs(where after about the first 3 of those 9 yrs) The kids spent the night the majority of the time at the babysitters, so by the 9th year of this the woman who was "babysitting" them[tho the reality was she had been raising them absolutely full time for 5 solid years, yes the "mother" saw them several times a week as she'd come over after work and eat dinner there at the "babysitter's" house(of course babysitter providing the dinner)and then go home and the kids just stayed with "babysitter", as I said this was just completely "normal" for these 2 kids as they'd been living there full time for 5 yrs. All the while the "mother" continued receiving the child support check, the "mother" continued claiming the children every year on HER taxes, and the "mother" had quit paying "babysitting" bill many, many moons ago!

This outraged me! As I personally know very well this wonderful, caring woman who was the " babysitter", who in reality was the only "mother" these kids knew, they naturally over the years even began calling her "mama" and the bio-mom by her first name. This was at no prodding from anyone, the kids were in middle school by this point so they knew full well what was up and exactly who cared for them, met their needs, helped with homework, took them to dr appts, and went to parent meetings at school for them both..

Well, the dad got sick of paying these huge chunks of money to bio-mom who did not spend a dime on her children in any way at all. So, he took her back to court and subpoenaed the "babysitter" to prove that the children were not and had not been living with mom for many years.. He was furious when it all came out just how long these children had actually been living at "babysitters" and was not only gonna have these huge monthly support payments stopped but he wanted back pay of all the money he'd paid bio-mom when children lived full time with someone else..

WELL, EVERYONE who was involved in the whole court proceedings were absolutely shocked after the judge made his final ruling. The "babysitter" was awarded primary custody, with visitation to either bio-parent totally and completely at her discretion. Yes, the judge did stop the large checks that were going to bio-mom and yes he did award back pay to be paid from bio-mom for all of the years of payments when she did not even have the children living with her. But much to dads surprise that back pay was not awarded to him, nope, bio-mom had to immediately begin back pay of the moneys she received from the dad, she had to pay them to the "babysitter", along with also immediately begin paying a monthly child support for each child to the "babysitter". Dad didn't get to stop paying a monthly child support either, rather the only change would be that his check for support would immediately begin going to "babysitter"..

"babysitter" was in shock for a couple of months over this, it was never even her intention to try to get money out of them, certainly not back pay from the past 5 yrs. The only thing that woman had asked for was to be able to claim the kids every other year on taxes[AND YES SHE WAS AWARDED THIS TOO BY THE JUDGE] and for mom or dad to provide insurance for the kids.They had not done either, but when it finally went before a judge(and remember it still wasnt because she was taking them to court, rather it was selfish daddy subponeaing this woman so that he could get outta paying his ex all of that money)...

Thank God for the laws allowing for this here where we live. This woman more than deserved all of this and more. So, my point is here where I live yes, Terri would be having to pay a support for her child living with his dad. And she sure would not be able to continue receiving support for a child that she is not even raising and furthermore Kaine, too would be eligible to receiving a monthly support from Terri for baby K since he is providing primary custodial residence and parenting. It is only right that Terri be made to pay towards the support of her children..

I mean come on, if this were the other way around and a man, a dad were in Terri's exact position ppl would be raising he!! that the support payments had not begun yet.

So, I know if this were all taking place here in Tennessee then the above that I just stated would infact be the case and Terri would have already been in the process of having to provide support and if it was her same ol excuse of can't find a job, nobody will hire me, well, the courts take care of that, too. You've got a limited amount of time for you To get that butt in gear and get yourself hired SOMEWHERE that provides income so that an appropriate amount be determined and it can be distributed as child support to each of her children.. If ya don't the contempt charges will ensue and around here you DO go to jail for failing to comply with child support and family court rulings...

I can only pray that the system works atleast similar to this up there in Portland , as I feel man or woman no matter, when you have children you must be accountable for providing for them in some way. These children atleast deserve monetary support since she feels for whatever reason she can no longer physically and emotionally
provide support.(IMO she very well could and would have supervised visitation with baby K, no doubt in my mind. She is not choosing to do this so at the very least she should be contributing to them with monetary support)

And I KNOW FOR CERTAIN SHE SHOULD NOT BE RECEIVING ONE, RED CENT OF CHILD SUPPORT FOR A SON THAT HAS NOT LIVED WITH HER SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THIS YEAR.

Wow, that's an awesome story, and shows that there are wise judges who use the system to provide real justice. I'm glad hear of a court battle working out for the right person. I don't know what the law is here in Portland about that, but I'd think (hope) now that Terri's child support shenanigans are on the radar, a judge will have to address the issue.

I learn so much on this site. I didn't know about TH being in an accident. I wonder if she got brain damage or was on strong meds. When was that accident? Before or after her body-building days?
Was she at fault? What exactly happened in the accident? Did her personality change after the accident or has she always been as she appears now?

I assume as with most family laws, statutes, etc that they vary from state to state. So, I can only say how it is here[just for point of reference I'm 2,320 miles away from Portland, OR :)]...

So, this is what I know in the past 12 months(so this is current) a mother who has had primary custody of her two school aged children with the father having visitation rights and also paying a good chunk of money monthly to her each month for both children's support. The woman that had been babysitting these 2 children for the past 9 yrs(where after about the first 3 of those 9 yrs) The kids spent the night the majority of the time at the babysitters, so by the 9th year of this the woman who was "babysitting" them[tho the reality was she had been raising them absolutely full time for 5 solid years, yes the "mother" saw them several times a week as she'd come over after work and eat dinner there at the "babysitter's" house(of course babysitter providing the dinner)and then go home and the kids just stayed with "babysitter", as I said this was just completely "normal" for these 2 kids as they'd been living there full time for 5 yrs. All the while the "mother" continued receiving the child support check, the "mother" continued claiming the children every year on HER taxes, and the "mother" had quit paying "babysitting" bill many, many moons ago!

This outraged me! As I personally know very well this wonderful, caring woman who was the " babysitter", who in reality was the only "mother" these kids knew, they naturally over the years even began calling her "mama" and the bio-mom by her first name. This was at no prodding from anyone, the kids were in middle school by this point so they knew full well what was up and exactly who cared for them, met their needs, helped with homework, took them to dr appts, and went to parent meetings at school for them both..

Well, the dad got sick of paying these huge chunks of money to bio-mom who did not spend a dime on her children in any way at all. So, he took her back to court and subpoenaed the "babysitter" to prove that the children were not and had not been living with mom for many years.. He was furious when it all came out just how long these children had actually been living at "babysitters" and was not only gonna have these huge monthly support payments stopped but he wanted back pay of all the money he'd paid bio-mom when children lived full time with someone else..

WELL, EVERYONE who was involved in the whole court proceedings were absolutely shocked after the judge made his final ruling. The "babysitter" was awarded primary custody, with visitation to either bio-parent totally and completely at her discretion. Yes, the judge did stop the large checks that were going to bio-mom and yes he did award back pay to be paid from bio-mom for all of the years of payments when she did not even have the children living with her. But much to dads surprise that back pay was not awarded to him, nope, bio-mom had to immediately begin back pay of the moneys she received from the dad, she had to pay them to the "babysitter", along with also immediately begin paying a monthly child support for each child to the "babysitter". Dad didn't get to stop paying a monthly child support either, rather the only change would be that his check for support would immediately begin going to "babysitter"..

"babysitter" was in shock for a couple of months over this, it was never even her intention to try to get money out of them, certainly not back pay from the past 5 yrs. The only thing that woman had asked for was to be able to claim the kids every other year on taxes[AND YES SHE WAS AWARDED THIS TOO BY THE JUDGE] and for mom or dad to provide insurance for the kids.They had not done either, but when it finally went before a judge(and remember it still wasnt because she was taking them to court, rather it was selfish daddy subponeaing this woman so that he could get outta paying his ex all of that money)...

Thank God for the laws allowing for this here where we live. This woman more than deserved all of this and more. So, my point is here where I live yes, Terri would be having to pay a support for her child living with his dad. And she sure would not be able to continue receiving support for a child that she is not even raising and furthermore Kaine, too would be eligible to receiving a monthly support from Terri for baby K since he is providing primary custodial residence and parenting. It is only right that Terri be made to pay towards the support of her children..

I mean come on, if this were the other way around and a man, a dad were in Terri's exact position ppl would be raising he!! that the support payments had not begun yet.

So, I know if this were all taking place here in Tennessee then the above that I just stated would infact be the case and Terri would have already been in the process of having to provide support and if it was her same ol excuse of can't find a job, nobody will hire me, well, the courts take care of that, too. You've got a limited amount of time for you To get that butt in gear and get yourself hired SOMEWHERE that provides income so that an appropriate amount be determined and it can be distributed as child support to each of her children.. If ya don't the contempt charges will ensue and around here you DO go to jail for failing to comply with child support and family court rulings...

I can only pray that the system works atleast similar to this up there in Portland , as I feel man or woman no matter, when you have children you must be accountable for providing for them in some way. These children atleast deserve monetary support since she feels for whatever reason she can no longer physically and emotionally
provide support.(IMO she very well could and would have supervised visitation with baby K, no doubt in my mind. She is not choosing to do this so at the very least she should be contributing to them with monetary support)

And I KNOW FOR CERTAIN SHE SHOULD NOT BE RECEIVING ONE, RED CENT OF CHILD SUPPORT FOR A SON THAT HAS NOT LIVED WITH HER SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THIS YEAR.

Personally I feel it was morally wrong for her to take money from her ex husband, much less demand an increase, for a child who no longer has a relationship with him but is back to considering his birth father has his father. What a mess. As soon as the birth father was back playing that role the adoptive father should have been let off the hook. I can't conceive that the adoptive father has to pay the birth father child support. That is just wrong.

Personally I feel it was morally wrong for her to take money from her ex husband, much less demand an increase, for a child who no longer has a relationship with him but is back to considering his birth father has his father. What a mess. As soon as the birth father was back playing that role the adoptive father should have been let off the hook. I can't conceive that the adoptive father has to pay the birth father child support. That is just wrong.

I too find it very disheartening with the situation that Terri was involved in creating(I will not lay blame solely on her, but as I've said multiple times the common denominator IN ALL of these messes, ugly situations, and unfavorable environments to be raising children in, the one common thread that runs through all of it is Terri)...

And Dairy Girl you are right this is nothing but a HUGE MESS of all this involving her oldest son(AND THAT IS ALL I AM REFERRING TO AT THIS POINT, HER OLDEST SON, THAT IS NOT EVEN MENTIONING POOR KYRON)..

What is this that she has the bio-fathers rights terminated and then has the second husband legally adopt J****(atleast thats how it works here, another man cannot adopt a child UNLESS the bio-fathers rights have been terminated). She then divorces J**** adoptive father and from that point to present day has collected monthly financial support from the ex husband who adopted J****.(And IMO behaving outlandishly&selfishly raising the support amount while in no way, shape, or form allowing and/or encouraging a positive relationship with this man that has adopted her son)...

And am I correct that at some point bio-dad did come back into the picture and has been very consistent in forming a relationship with his son? And that it is he&his wife that are currently raising J****, while Terri is continuing to receive financial support that is for the son that has not been living with her since the first couple of months of this year?...

One big mess and I do believe as someone stated upthread that now that this situation has come to light that it will soon be in family court once again trying to hash out and make sense of this mess involving Terri, but most sadly a very confusing, twisted, and unhealthy environment that poor J**** has been subjected to for many years.. And hopefully a wise judge will see this situation EXACTLY FOR WHAT IT IS and make changes(including immediate termination of child support to Terri) and set this mess back on the right track and do what is in J**** very best interest, as well as baby K's and IMO that would be for them to be receiving support from their mom in some way, and since she is choosing not to provide that support physically, nor emotionally(as I stated previously no doubt she could and would be allowed supervised visitation with baby K AT THE VERY LEAST)but since she is not then she should be providing at least monetary support for her children, being paid to the appropriate caregivers of those children (i.e. Kaine and J****bio-dad)... JMO

Terri did not, nee, COULD NOT have J's birth father's parental rights terminated. That is a decision he alone can make. And it was made.

And not one of us knows whether Terri has been sending funds for J's support to first her parents, then to J at his birth father's home. None of us. Get the answer, then I think we can discuss how what should have been done with the support funds.

Frankly, I have to wonder if she WAS sending those funds and that fed into Kaine's assertion that Terri was going through THEIR money like water. Since well, of course he was controlling about HIS money.

It would be great if we had all the answers but we don't and for some questions we will NEVER have the answers.
We don't know very much FOR FACT or for sure and as is the purpose for a board we are allowed to discuss the small and few things that are reported per MSM..

These boards would be empty and blank if these discussions were not taking place between members..

We each are allowed our own opinion and view of what little we know and our allowed to discuss those opinions and views.. :)

I'm curious. Why does the media refer to J's last name as Moulton? Why doesn't he go by his adoptive father's last name, or his bio dad's last name? Why his mom's maiden name? Or is the media just confused?

I learn so much on this site. I didn't know about TH being in an accident. I wonder if she got brain damage or was on strong meds. When was that accident? Before or after her body-building days?
Was she at fault? What exactly happened in the accident? Did her personality change after the accident or has she always been as she appears now?

I wondered about that too because irritability, becoming more short-tempered etc. might be a symptom of mild brain injury and she had headaches as a result, but I don't know if it can be the whole story because Kaine didn't know her at the time of her accident and he appears to think that there was some personality change during their marriage as well. Maybe the accident changed her sensitivity to stress, making it more demanding to cope with the daily tasks and the threshold is lowered, so to speak. If extra stressors are added in the mix it might then become too much.

Just a possibility, the article did not mention any brain injury and she did successfully complete her education afterwards.

I'm curious. Why does the media refer to J's last name as Moulton? Why doesn't he go by his adoptive father's last name, or his bio dad's last name? Why his mom's maiden name? Or is the media just confused?

I don't know why but it was changed. It's in the contradictions article (in the photo caption)

Ecker's parents remember J*** as being a curious and lively child. Horman legally changed his last name from Ecker to Moulton in January this year.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/terri_horman.html

Just a guess but he is old enough to have his own opinion about his last name and might not have wanted to keep the name of an adoptive father he's not even seeing.

About the wedding:

I am not a doctor, but, it seems like bodybuilding would be the wrong hobby for someone with pinched nerves and migraines.

I thought Terri began training for her bodybuilding competition in January of 2005 before her competition in April of 2005, not 2002, as stated by a poster upthread. Wasn't that what all the "controversy" was about? That she dropped so much weight and was in relatively good shape so quickly?

The competition was in 2005 but this article says she worked out quite a lot in 2002 as well.
In the spring of 2002, Terri Horman hit the gym, working out at Bally Total Fitness in Aloha for hours at a stretch.

Then she apparently took a break from going to the gym because it says 'again':

In 2005, she started going to the gym again, transforming her body into a mass of muscle to compete in a bodybuilding championship.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/terri_horman.html

I pay the bills at our house. My husband has no idea where the money goes. Some months when there have been extra expenses, I will tell him we are low on money, don't spend anything until payday.

It might have been a similar situation at the Hormans. He knows what he makes, and he knows what he spent, and he knows what is left at the end of the month. The rest he has to assume.

It is also possible Terri was racking up large credit card bills he only became aware of after she was no longer home to collect the mail each day.

BBM

My brother was somewhat tolerant of my ex-SIL spending money like water until the day he was home when she tried to intercept the mail. He didn't mind about the outgoing money that he knew about--he could have put a stop to that--it was the credit cards that she secretly took out in his name that he had a problem with. Not saying TH did this, but like alcoholics, shopaholics try to hide their addiction, so it is possible KH wasn't aware of some of the outgo until it was too late.

So, apparently he was camping on Friday, but at the Hormans on Saturday (for the planned week-long visit).

I swear in one of the interviews it was said he was there "within hours" of Kyron going missing ... or something to that effect, leading me to believe (or certainly making it sound as if) he was there on Friday. I still don't understand the reasoning behind a pre-arranged weeklong visit when school was still in session and camping overnight on a Friday only to return early enough to be in Portland Saturday morning. Was he one of the kids switched in the big meetups at the restaurant (I've lost track by now ... )

I swear in one of the interviews it was said he was there "within hours" of Kyron going missing ... or something to that effect, leading me to believe (or certainly making it sound as if) he was there on Friday. I still don't understand the reasoning behind a pre-arranged weeklong visit when school was still in session and camping overnight on a Friday only to return early enough to be in Portland Saturday morning. Was he one of the kids switched in the big meetups at the restaurant (I've lost track by now ... )

I saw that in an interview, too. I think it was from Kaine on Dateline -- hope there's a transcript, because I get tired of having to listen to these things to find the quote!
I do remember for sure that J was one of the kids who were in the group parental-visit exchanges. That was in the Profile in Contradictions article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX