LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have missed it Chicken Fried... I work in the legal field in downtown Lafayette, so I get a lot of first hand "Rumors" and info, however, it takes away from my time on this site...

Methinks it sounds like you've got some prime access to the CajunNet there, quueenie!! :rocker:

IMO the "social-media team" - made up of Mickey's friends - has not gotten the credit it deserves.

Yes, I know that during frustrating points, people started criticizing those folks.

But give credit where it's due:

They mobilized searches immediately - saturated the Internet - put flyers everywhere - drove this case - put immediate, unrelenting pressure on the perp and on LE..... they didnt allow the case to get cold. They steamrollered this thing and must have had BSL scared and on the run.

Hat's off to them.

:rocker:

I hear what you're saying to a point.

But I submit that in an area like NYC or L.A. - where people stick to themselves... there would be no talk (not to single out those places) - and MS and LP would just be other forgotten missing women... and BSL would be out there... somewhere.

Mickey's case would have big in any city, IMO...and on that same note, Lisa's probably would not have been. Just the way it is. If Mickey lived in L.A. with her family, instead of LA, they still would have pushed to get her into the spotlight and would have probably succeeded. And really, outside of the region and surrounding states, her story was NOT all over the place, as one might expect. It got a little bit of national press in the beginning, but then it tapered off, just like Holly's and Lauren's and Katelyn's. All attractive college students with whom middle America can relate...

That is not correct. According to dyingtoknowthetruth, who is the sister of KA who was killed in the wreck, the 3 passengers have the initials, CGH, KA, and ES.

And to the poster on another site who called in info on BSL as well.

Thanks. I think I missed a page.

Not passing judgement, because I have no way of knowing if I would do anything different if I lived there, but the thing that kinda bothers me about the Cajun Net is it seems they all talk to everybody and their brother about everyone else's business, but they dont seem to talk to the people that should be told....ie, not talking to police out of fear, or not talking to a reporter for a newspaper...seems some of that may be changing hopefully. Seems everyone has known so many things for so many years, and somehow, no one ever bothered to tell the police.JMO

the Cajun net includes the police and reporters. Everyone knows everything......almost. But, what they share with outsiders is a different story.

Very valid point. It just seems such a shame that apparently so many knew so many things...I have seen references to "everyone in town knew yada yada"... and yet it took until now to get this monster off the streets.

I don't think there was not an intention to catch LP's killer. There probably was a key missing piece - maybe found at BSL's place, that prevented it. You can have all kind of talk around town, but it's a question of getting incontrovertible evidence - that apparently wasn't there until now.

It's interesting that the GJ in 2008 returned a pretermit on BSL - meaning - that there wasn't enough evidence to indict - but that there wasn't enough evidence to clear. It's like a "pass" in a card game.

They didn't want to refute the charges - in case later that missing piece came up, is what I'm thinking.

The cops must have found something at BSL's place. It's one thing to peg BSL for Mickey- because they may have GPS info - witnesses - cell pings - and the like. It's another to resurrect a 13-y.o. cold case without warning.

NewYork625 -- That's why I'm trying to figure out how BSL is related. I'm still confused but I'm not as much as I was about an hour ago.

And thanks, chicken fried, I appreciate the clarification from ya!!

OK guys:

It just hit me.

How is a LAFAYETTE PARISH grand jury allowed to indict BSL for LP's murder, when the prior grand jury AND THE BODY were not in Lafayette Parish????

What the heck is going on here???

ETA: Reporting at the time said LP was last seen in Lafayette! So why was the 2008 GJ in Acadia Parish not in Lafayette Parish???
And why was the 2012 GJ in Lafayette Parish not in Acadia Parish???

OK guys:

It just hit me.

How is a LAFAYETTE PARISH grand jury allowed to indict BSL for LP's murder, when the prior grand jury AND THE BODY were not in Lafayette Parish????

ETA: Reporting at the time said LP was last seen in Lafayette! So why was the 2008 GJ in Acadia Parish not in Lafayette Parish???

I've been wondering that same thing. Thanks for asking.

Very valid point. It just seems such a shame that apparently so many knew so many things...I have seen references to "everyone in town knew yada yada"... and yet it took until now to get this monster off the streets.

I think the problem is the public didn't know more than LE. Everyone recalls things taking place at the time and what was heard via the cajunnet. But with every person told the story changes a little and by the end is totally blown out of proportion. I have seen this happen first hand. I have even seen it on this & other sites. PPl see or hear something and interpret it their way and then pass it on. But I think there may have been a few ppl really in the know that for whatever reason kept quiet. Obviously LE had this information when the tried to indict him in 2008 which leads me to believe that there is new evidence that they have found. Which from what I hear, there is and he has very little hope of walking free.

Legally speaking - does the Lafayette Parish grand-jury indictment for Lisa Pate mean that LE believes the murder happened in Lafayette Parish?

We need a legal person.///

OK guys:

It just hit me.

Probably proof and due to the investigations of LPD and the DA's office I believe it is probably another agency calling the shots.

As far as the locals maybe not knowing enough to get BL off the streets for Lisa's murder...it sounds like there may have been other things he did, of lesser criminality, that could have been charged, if people had talked back then. I am only surmising this, just based on reading how everyone knew he was a "bad seed" for example. Usually you hear the opposite when someone is charged with murder, i.e. oh, he was so normal, such a nice neighbor,..." Yet in this case, it appears that nearly everyone knew something awful about BL...

If they found proof of Lisa being killed in Lafayette Parish - a 13-year-old cold case - then I have to believe that - as LE said right away - they found the same evidence for Mickey.

:(

If they had had the '08 GJ in Lafayette Parish, then that's one thing. But the change of venue speaks volumes to me - not being a legal expert.
But if they've got him dead to rights... then what's this crazy business about taking two years to go to trial? I'm not liking that at all. Violates BSL's and the families' constitutional right to a speedy trial.

OK guys:

It just hit me.

Someone explained it earlier in a thread i will try to find cause it explains it better than I can, but its all about jurisdictions. There are several parishes that fall under one jurisdiction. And Acadia & St Landry fall in Lafayette's jurisdiction.

OK guys:

It just hit me.

That's what I've been trying to figure out!

Probably proof and due to the investigations of LPD and the DA's office I believe it is probably another agency calling the shots.
'

But don't they have to have evidence that the crime happened in Lafayette Parish?

I mean - if I rob a bank in Louisiana - can LE decide to try me in Kentucky, for their own internal reasons?

If they found proof of Lisa being killed in Lafayette Parish - a 13-year-old cold case - then I have to believe that - as LE said right away - they found the same evidence for Mickey.

:(

If they had had the '08 GJ in Lafayette Parish, then that's one thing. But the change of venue speaks volumes to me - not being a legal expert.
But if they've got him dead to rights... then what's this crazy business about taking two years to go to trial? I'm not liking that at all. Violates BSL's and the families' constitutional right to a speedy trial.

I got the impression that LE believes delays will be on BL's end...as in so many DP cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member