LA LA - Arrilla Webb-Vaul, 23, Bossier Parish, 15 March 1979

Long-missing man's mom: The uncertainty never gets easier

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Authorities in northwest Louisiana are asking the public for help solving three missing persons cold cases: a woman missing for 39 years, and men last seen 18 and 13 years ago.

Webb-Vaul had dropped her husband off at a K-Mart the evening of March 15, 1979. Her vehicle was found at the foot of the Jimmie Davis Bridge in Bossier City, with a slashed or punctured tire, and her belongings inside. Witnesses told investigators that she pulled over and a white man in a white truck immediately pulled up behind her.

This is a fascinating case and a sad one. It would seem that the perpetrator probably slashed the tire and then followed her from the parking lot to where she pulled over. He probably offered to give her a lift to a gas station or to her home.

This area is close to Mississippi, Alabama, and Western Florida. All potential destinations of her abductor.

It has been almost (next March) 40 years since Arrilla's disappearance.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a potential profile of the suspect? Age? Marital status? Local? Transient? We know that the suspect seen pulling up behind Arilla was a white male driving a white pick up. That's it.

Shreveport-Bossier women's disappearances in 1979 were eerily similar

Arrilla Webb Vaul, 23, went missing first. Hours after she dropped her husband off for work at K-Mart in the Eastgate Shopping Center, her car was found abandoned at the foot of the Jimmie Davis Bridge in Bossier City. One tire was flat and appeared to have been punctured.

Next to disappear was 18-year-old Dodie Gay. The high school senior had gone to the Eastgate Shopping Center on a Friday evening to pick up her engagement ring at a store there. She never returned home, and her car was found the next day in the shopping center parking lot. As with Vaul’s vehicle, one of Gay’s tires was flat, apparently punctured.

The similarities immediately put local police officers on notice and spread fear through the community that a kidnapper might be on the loose.

In the months and years to follow, law enforcement agencies in Caddo, DeSoto and Bossier parishes investigated. So did the Brookshire Police Department in Texas, where one victim's mother lived.

But almost 40 years later, the question of what happened to Arrilla Vaul and Dodie Gay — and whether their disappearances were connected — remains unanswered.

*Arrilla Vaul, Eastgate Shopping Center, Arrilla Vaul

68ff45df-335a-4bb9-b0af-f4b8bbe4dc40-Arrilla_Vaul.1.jpg 496282c7-dcc5-4036-88f8-606a9ceb73d7-Box14Folder83_Eastgate__Captain_Shreve_c._1972-1980.jpg 76d7afef-f0c8-4c62-a169-ac040e904fe4-Arrilla_Vaul.Vehicle.jpg 320b7e31-9158-4417-878c-064dc173e23e-Arrilla_Vaul.Vehicle.2.jpg

Possibly Unidentified Person Case? This Jane Doe was found on 11 September 1979 in Jefferson Parish and is believed to have died sometime between 1978 and earlier in 1979. She currently doesn't have DNA available but does have dentals, which Arrilla does not have available and her DNA status is still pending.
**I have a difficult time believing that Arilla never went to a dentist her whole life. Her parents would have provided those.

When did dental x-rays become routine? Some people don't go to the dentist very often. I haven't been since 2011. I haven't had a cavity since I was a teenager, so there's seldom a compelling reason for me to go.

KOq0K8KiybI5Jzn8BoptqAmZ0G_uRPNpWeYjHwcxqGQAXym7yzW4YvPqbR5gWvNw4OkNszc_6rqFd9kM4LVEAa5Ku-v0rLjO-Ep1qVQXSfPoyD8x143yDOr44xJy08Bho

Arrilla Webb-Vaul, 23, Missing from Bossier Parish, LA, 15 March 1979

KOq0K8KiybI5Jzn8BoptqAmZ0G_uRPNpWeYjHwcxqGQAXym7yzW4YvPqbR5gWvNw4OkNszc_6rqFd9kM4LVEAa5Ku-v0rLjO-Ep1qVQXSfPoyD8x143yDOr44xJy08Bho

Arrilla Webb-Vaul, 23, Missing from Bossier Parish, LA, 15 March 1979
I thought there would be a confirmation or exclusion by now regarding the Jane Doe found across state lines in Mississippi. I guess they still haven't tracked down mitochondrial DNA for Arrilla.

It has been over 40 years now since Arrilla went missing. Still no official word 0n attempts to match her case with that of the unidentified woman found in Mississippi.

Arilla left East Gate Shopping Center NOT Shreve City Shopping Center! It was Kmart she drove off from. I worked with Scott at Kmart. The night she came up missing, i got off work at 9:30 and drove over that same bridge ( Jimmy Davis ) to go home to Bossier City. It was pouring down rain and when i got over the bridge i saw a car (hers i found out later) sitting on the side of the road with the flashers on. about 2 car lengths ahead of her car was another car with a tall, thin man, bending over in the back seat. the inside light was on but i didnt see anything because it was raining so hard. when i got home i told my parents about this weird man outside his car getting soaked and i wondered why he'd be messing around back there during a thunderstorm. the next day when i got to work i found out she was missing. by the time the cops checked out her car, the battery had run down and no flashers were on then. i told Scott what i saw and he had the cops call me.....i told them what i knew. i just saw a post on FB about a white womans body that was found in Rapides Parish in 1979 with a picture of what they thought she looked like. i'll try to post it here.....very interesting. maybe her family and friends that knew her well can look at the picture posted.....scroll down not very far and you'll see it
page is HELP ID ME Help ID Me

Last edited:
Arilla left East Gate Shopping Center NOT Shreve City Shopping Center! It was Kmart she drove off from. I worked with Scott at Kmart. The night she came up missing, i got off work at 9:30 and drove over that same bridge ( Jimmy Davis ) to go home to Bossier City. It was pouring down rain and when i got over the bridge i saw a car (hers i found out later) sitting on the side of the road with the flashers on. about 2 car lengths ahead of her car was another car with a tall, thin man, bending over in the back seat. the inside light was on but i didnt see anything because it was raining so hard. when i got home i told my parents about this weird man outside his car getting soaked and i wondered why he'd be messing around back there during a thunderstorm. the next day when i got to work i found out she was missing. by the time the cops checked out her car, the battery had run down and no flashers were on then. i told Scott what i saw and he had the cops call me.....i told them what i knew. i just saw a post on FB about a white womans body that was found in Rapides Parish in 1979 with a picture of what they thought she looked like. i'll try to post it here.....very interesting. maybe her family and friends that knew her well can look at the picture posted.....scroll down not very far and you'll see it
page is HELP ID ME
Help ID Me
BBM

The Jane Doe in question has been identified as Donna Gayle Brazzell.
Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office

Arrilla Naomi Webb-Vaul
  • webb-vaul_arrilla.jpg
  • arrilla_naomi_webb-vaul_2.jpg
  • arrilla_naomi_webb-vaul_3.jpg
  • webb-vaul_arrilla4.jpg
  • webb-vaul_arrilla_car.jpg
Webb-Vaul, circa 1979; Webb-Vaul's car

• Missing Since 03/15/1979
  • Missing From Bossier Parish, Lousiana
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth09/27/1955 (64)
  • Age 23 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 100 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A purple or maroon dress; a full-length gray or blue plaid hooded coat; a small emerald ring on her right hand; a white gold wedding set with two wide bands on her left hand, the center of the second band having a 1/3 karat diamond; a silver watch; and possibly white high-heeled shoes.
  • Medical Conditions Webb-Vaul had a growth on her eye at the time of her disappearance; it was thought to be cancerous.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue/gray eyes. Webb-Vaul has a small mole on the right side of her nose.
Details of Disappearance
Webb-Vaul drove her husband to the Eastgate Shopping Center on 70th Street in Shreveport, Louisiana shortly before 6:00 p.m. on March 15, 1979. One of her car tires had been punctured, but the tire was not completely flat when she dropped her husband off at the store. She then drove approximately 200 yards across the Jimmie Davis Bridge into Bossier Parish.

Witnesses observed her vehicle pull over to the shoulder just beyond the bridge. An unidentified Caucasian man driving a white truck parked behind Webb-Vaul. She has never been heard from again.

Webb-Vaul's husband found the vehicle abandoned on the shoulder at 10:15 p.m.; her personal belongings were inside it, and there was no sign of her at the scene. A photo of the car where it was found is posted with this case summary.

Authorities initially believed Webb-Vaul had left of her own accord. She was apparently severely distressed at the time of her disappearance. Just a few days before she was last seen, she wrote a letter to her mother asking to be removed from her mother's will, and saying that if anything happened to her, her car should be given to her mother rather than her husband. Webb-Vaul's mother had herself disappeared at least once and was gone for seven years before resurfacing.

Webb-Vaul's disappearance may be connected to the murder of 18-year-old Ladoisha Ann "Dodie" Gay, a high school student who disappeared from the Eastgate Shopping Center only a month after Webb-Vaul did. Her car was later found abandoned with a punctured, flat tire, just like Webb-Vaul's was. Gay's skeletal remains were found under a bridge in rural DeSoto Parish, Louisiana six weeks later.

Her homicide and Webb-Vaul's disappearance remain unsolved, but police do have a suspect: James Edward Wood, a former truck driver and suspected serial killer who was convicted of the 1993 murder of an 11-year-old Idaho girl. He lived in the Shreveport, Louisiana area between the 1960s and the early 1990s.

After his arrest in the Idaho case, Wood confessed to the 1976 murder of a Shreveport, Louisiana woman, but he was never charged in her death. Authorities believe he may have committed as many as 185 robberies, 85 rapes and dozens of murders over thirty years. He died of natural causes in prison in 2004.

Webb-Vaul grew up in Friendswood, Texas, and graduated high school there in 1974. She married in 1976 and moved to Louisiana after her husband, an airman, was assigned to the Barksdale Air Force Base.

Foul play is suspected in Webb-Vaul's disappearance. She was an only child, and her husband and parents are now deceased.

LINK:

Arrilla Naomi Webb-Vaul – The Charley Project

I can confirm Arrilla having sent that letter to her mom. I was Arrilla's best friend in high school and her maid of honor in her wedding. The morning after her disappearance her mother called me to see if she had come to stay with me. Her mother told me she had gone missing and that authorities actually thought she committed suicide jumping over the bridge into the water. Arrrilla's mother told me about the letter. The conversation was brief and that was about the extent of it.
I can also confirm that Arrilla had beautiful teeth. I never knew her to need a dentist. The only issue I remember her having was that she would get a stye in her eye every now and then.
She was healthy, happy and intelligent. She had planned to become a doctor.
Her birthday is coming up and she would be 65. I miss her dearly.
Edited to add, there is a link in a post above to The Charley Project for Arrillia's case. It discusses the possible link between Arrilla's disappearance and a convicted murderer James Edward Wood. I heard about this person through one of the few conversations I had with her mother. If my memory recalls correctly, he confessed and offered to show authorities where he left her body. According to her mother, they went to this location and looked around. What the looking entailed, I have no idea except that it revealed nothing.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back