LA LA - Audrey Moate, 31, Laplace, 24 Nov 1956

There was another set of Louisiana murders that some have tried to connect to the Texarkana Phantom. The case was the double murder of Sam and Mary Paolo on October 31 of 1948. Unfortunately, that's about all I know about the case.

There was another set of Louisiana murders that some have tried to connect to the Texarkana Phantom. The case was the double murder of Sam and Mary Paolo on October 31 of 1948. Unfortunately, that's about all I know about the case.

I'm going to have a look at all the details over the next few days and see what comes up.

What were the ages of her three children at the time of her disappearance? Was her maiden name Smith like her mother?

What were the ages of her three children at the time of her disappearance? Was her maiden name Smith like her mother?

Yes, her maiden name was Smith like her mother. Their first child was born March 4, 1947. Not sure about the second. Her third child was born sometime before Christmas (possibly December 19th to 21rst) of 1955. (The one she told her mother that she was adopting.)

ETA - Audrey and David were divorced in 1954.

Audrey's grandfather was Henry and her grandmother was Becky L:

1940 United States Federal Census

Name: Minnie P Smith
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Race: White
Birthplace: Arkansas
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Daughter-in-law
Home in 1940: Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
View Map
Street: Woodbridge Street
House Number: 11639
Inferred Residence in 1935: Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Residence in 1935: Same Place
Sheet Number: 4A
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: High School, 1st year
Weeks Worked in 1939: 0
Income: 0
Income Other Sources: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Henry A Smith 78
Becky L Smith 74
Dan W Smith 55
Minnie P Smith 50
Alta Audrey Smith 14
Henry Robert Smith 13

"We kiss in a shadow,
We hide from the moon,
Our meetings are few,
And over too soon.

We speak in a whisper,
Afraid to be heard;
When people are near,
We speak not a word.
Alone in our secret,
Together we sigh,
For one smiling day to be free
To kiss in the sunlight
And say to the sky:
"Behold and believe what you see!
Behold how my lover loves me!" "

According to the youtube videos of Audrey's story, this quotation was found in a box of stuff found in the back of her abandoned car.

Why was a box of things including a note with this quote in the back of her car as though she was moving/transferring things? What else was in that box?

"We kiss in a shadow,
We hide from the moon,
Our meetings are few,
And over too soon.

We speak in a whisper,
Afraid to be heard;
When people are near,
We speak not a word.
Alone in our secret,
Together we sigh,
For one smiling day to be free
To kiss in the sunlight
And say to the sky:
"Behold and believe what you see!
Behold how my lover loves me!" "

According to the youtube videos of Audrey's story, this quotation was found in a box of stuff found in the back of her abandoned car.

Why was a box of things including a note with this quote in the back of her car as though she was moving/transferring things? What else was in that box?
Lyrics from the stage musical "The King and I":

The King and I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd really like to know what happened to Audrey's third child. I think that she holds the key to much information as to happened to Audrey. I have searched high and low and have been unable to find her. Was she given up for adoption? Did George Moate adopt her? Did Minnie take responsibility for her? Where did she go?

Bumping for Audrey. What happened to her child born in 1955?

Audrey disappeared and so did her daughter born two years before her disappearance. Bumping for Audrey and her missing daughter.

Audrey disappeared and so did her daughter born two years before her disappearance. Bumping for Audrey and her missing daughter.

Just a thought...

The child was so young.. Maybe she was adopted out. Perhaps a closed adoption? She would have so young that she possibly remembers nothing of her birth family.

I'm not sure I caught where the name Jacqueline came from, but I did find a Jacqueline Hotard, age 73, on basic people search sites, with connections to Louisiana and St Louis. (sometimes they have the ages wrong, obviously 73 is off a bit for ours)

I also found an obituary for a Ronald Hotard (aka Jack) of Indiana (d 2012 at age 77) who had a daughter named Jacqueline (now deceased). There is also a post regarding this (Ronald Hotard) family on ancestry message boards, lots of names including Jacqueline, but the poster did not seem too knowledgeable on his or her extended family.

I wonder if Ronald may have been related to Thomas, and if Thomas suggested putting the adoption in his name so that he could turn the child over to a relative with the same last name. I did not see any Thomas listed in the Ancestry post, but that could be because he died too early for the poster to be aware of him.

Can anyone check the censuses to see if Thomas had any brothers?

I'm not sure I caught where the name Jacqueline came from, but I did find a Jacqueline Hotard, age 73, on basic people search sites, with connections to Louisiana and St Louis. (sometimes they have the ages wrong, obviously 73 is off a bit for ours)

I also found an obituary for a Ronald Hotard (aka Jack) of Indiana (d 2012 at age 77) who had a daughter named Jacqueline (now deceased). There is also a post regarding this (Ronald Hotard) family on ancestry message boards, lots of names including Jacqueline, but the poster did not seem too knowledgeable on his or her extended family.

I wonder if Ronald may have been related to Thomas, and if Thomas suggested putting the adoption in his name so that he could turn the child over to a relative with the same last name. I did not see any Thomas listed in the Ancestry post, but that could be because he died too early for the poster to be aware of him.

He was one of 6 or more siblings. He even had a sister named Audrey Elizabeth Hotard. She married a Henry Denny and had three children.

Thomas had three brothers; Arthur, Frank and Ernest. No Ronald. His parents were Justin Richard Hotard and Laura Sophire Young.

I am still looking for "Jacqueline" whose name was most likely changed after Audrey's disappearance.

: (

I have only ever seen "Jacqueline" mentioned in one article in an Odessa American (Texas) article. It was published on November 22, 1957 and Minnie (Audrey's mother) gives all the information about her. I don't know how to post it as I found the article on ancestry.com. Minnie goes on to state that her daughter Audrey had had a "nervous breakdown" in July 1955 so she left for a while (going to St. Louis) and returned shortly before Christmas of the same year with a four-day old baby. She later goes on to say that Thomas Hotard willingly agreed to help Audrey adopt this child under his name. I have searched ancestry records and elsewhere but have not been able to find out what happened to this child! Did Audrey's ex (George) adopt her? Did someone else from Audrey's, George's or Thomas' family take her in?

newspaperarchives has the article but I don't subscribe so I can't link it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back