LA LA - Audrey Moate, 31, Laplace, 24 Nov 1956

What a puzzling mystery.

I read about the contents of her purse and one thing was her birth certificate being there. It seemed an odd thing for a person to carry that with them.

also, since the bodies were not noticed until the next day, what about their families? Was his wife worried and looking for him? Was her mother asking anyone where her daughter might be?

Sadly, I think that Audrey rests at the bottom of Lake Pontchartrain.

I think it is also pretty apparent that the “hunters” familial connection to Beulah Hotard makes them likely responsible for the adulterous lovers’ murder.

Thanks be to God that Jacqueline, Thomas and Audrey’s probable love child, has had a happy life, with many children of her own. A happy ending to a tragic tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I'm the co host of a podcast called Southern Mysteries Podcast. We've just released a new episode dedicated to the case. We interviewed Wayne Norwood who took on the case when he joined the St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff's Office in the 1980s. He has some interesting theories and clarifies some questions that have been brought up here. You can listen to the episode here:
https://southernmysteries.podbean.com/e/episode-6-death-keeps-a-tryst-thomas-hotard-audrey-moate/

Odessa American News Article that was cited long ago in this thread. This is the article Audrey's mom was a part of November 22, 1957

Attachments

• The_Odessa_American_Fri__Nov_22__1957_.pdf
    576.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks, its a fascinating listen!

I just had a question about the witnesses you mentioned. We already know about the father and son hunter pair (with some connection to TH's wife) who saw the car. You mentioned another unnamed hunter that also saw the car at a later time. Do we have a name for him?

Audrey Moate is in NamUs since February 2019:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

upload_2020-9-22_20-45-11.png

Audrey Alta Moate

Female
White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact: November 24, 1956
Missing From: Laplace, Louisiana
Missing Age: 31 Years
Current Age: 94 Years

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age: 31 Years
Current Age: 94 Years

First Name: Audrey
Middle Name: Alta
Last Name: Moate
Nickname/Alias: --

Sex: Female
Height: 5' 3" - 5' 9" (63 - 69 Inches)
Weight: 110 - 150 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: November 24, 1956
NamUs Case Created: February 18, 2019

Last Known Location Map
County: St. John the Baptist Parish
Missing From Tribal Land: Unknown
Primary Residence on Tribal Land: --

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Audrey Moate was last seen at Frenier Beach, near Laplace, Louisiana on November 24, 1956.

Physical Description
Hair Color: Blond/Strawberry
Head Hair Description: --
Body Hair Description: --
Facial Hair Description: --

Left Eye Color: Gray
Right Eye Color: Gray
Eye Description: --

Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
No Information Entered

Additional Case Info

Transportation

No Information Entered

Live in England, saw this recently on unsolved mysteries, as the area is so remote I think that pretty much rules out a passing maniac, can't really see beyond the local deathbed confession bloke, or the 2 hunters who found the body, not sure of motive, but the remoteness of the area must surely limit the amount of suspects

Very interesting reading, especially all the input from family members and locals and even potential witnesses!

FWIW-my first thought is that TH was the intended victim here and poor Audrey was just "collateral damage" so to speak. Hence why he was immediately shot and she seems to have been able to escape either a short distance or indeed go furhter. If that phonecall was from her, maybe what she knew meant she could never return. I don't know...would she leave her kids and never call? Who knows, depends how fearful she was I guess. BH's comment about being afraid if she is still alive is very telling IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back