LA LA - Audrey Moate, 31, Laplace, 24 Nov 1956

View attachment 69557

There is no article of the name of the 3rd child. Look for yourself.

I know I must be dense but what is the Sears add about? Sears did sell an automobile in the early 50s called the Allstate that was made by American Motors; was that the car they were attacked in?

It's there. I have spent a lot of time researching this case. In fact, if you read back through these posts you will see that Audrey's grand-daughter confirmed this information.

Look for yourself. Go to page 4 of this 5 page thread and you might be enlightened.

My very first post…on a tragic but intriguing story that really pulled me in. As a native Louisianian, I am accustomed to seeing surnames misspelled (and misunderstood) in press coverage from out of state. In the Odessa article, "Jack Monteret" and "Henry Monaret" are probably the same person. Pretty sure "Jack Monteret" is "Henry 'Jack' Monaret" (christened Henry Joseph Monaret). Monaret is a known name from those neck of the woods, but I'm not familiar with Monteret. Pink Panther alluded to the Jack-Monteret-Henry-Monaret connection, but as a newbie I'm not too subtle and I hope I don't get in trouble for putting it all out there! A little "googling" will also turn up Monaret/Acosta connections (ah, THERE'S my first attempt at subtlety). It's important to understand that everybody knows everybody down there, and those who aren't related by blood often end up related by marriage. Personally, I love close-knit communities, but it is sometimes prudent to have a general knowledge of how folks are tied together.

I've only been on WS a short while, and I am in awe of the great research and sleuthing that goes on here. You all made this a VERY engaging thread - especially you, Pink Panther - and hopefully I didn't make a fool of myself repeating info you already know. Go easy on me…I'm new! :blushing:

As an addendum to my last post, I believe Henry Joseph "Jack" Monaret had a son named after him, so "Jack Monteret" (sp) and "Henry Monaret" could have actually been Jack Monaret and son Henry Monaret. If I get a few moments to delve into ancestry.com, I'll try to figure it out...unless someone beats me to it and shares what they find ��. The Acosta connections will be there, too. If you're puzzled about why I find the possible connection between those who "discovered" the body and one who (maybe falsely) confessed to the crime, I will expound on that once I'm sure my thoughts aren't too wildly speculative to be posted on this forum. I will hint that it could be important to note much of what was happening in that area in that era when considering what might have happened and why.

Fortbold - Welcome to WS!

I looked into Henry Joseph a while back and do remember being quite convinced that there had to be some connection to him and the crime (even if he didn't actually commit it…) I don't believe that I had found the Acosta connection! Very viable and very interesting! Please keep us posted!

OMG - I just went in to do a quick check and I haven't found a connection to Acosta but there is a VERY DIRECT link to the Vicknair family (Hotard's wife). I am completely gobsmacked! He was married to the daughter of a Vicknair!

Great find! I've been doing some research this evening on the names mentioned in newspaper articles contemporary to the case and I made another interesting connection. In 1959 they searched a local dump for remains, based on the confession of a man who says he buried her there. (This is the man who was found in possession of Audrey's purse). THIS man's family and the Vicknairs are very closely tied historically geographically…too intricately to explain here. I worry a bit that this man could have been falsely implicated or "drew the short straw," but I have no basis for this other than what I know about the attitudes and prejudices of that era. All of my sources are from paid news services and ancestry.com, so I don't think I can link, but if you have access to newspaper archives about the case and start combining names in a search engine, you'll easily find the connections. PM me if you want specifics.

I do want say that just because people in this case are connected, it doesn't make them guilty of anything. Mr. Hotard picked a secluded spot that is "halfway" between Baton Rouge and New Orleans (Gretna), and he quite possibly knew of this particular spot through family (in-laws). Just saying…

The sleuthing continues...

That's awesome. My mom always wondered what middle name her mother gave her :)

Arissa

I am totally convinced (from the start) that it was a scorned wife situation (can I say that?)
I had read about this years ago, but I'm really impressed with this thread, and I would love to see this solved.

I loved how the adopted baby turned out to be their love child <3

For whatever crazy reasons, I&#8217;ve spent the past month researching this case and I&#8217;ve definitely uncovered (or rediscovered) quite a bit and I would love to get input from some super-sleuthers! However, it&#8217;s A LOT of info for one post, so I&#8217;m wondering if I should put it out there in chunks so that it&#8217;s easier to digest?

I&#8217;ll start with some background info. We know that AM lived with the Hotards in &#8217;52, but it&#8217;s also interesting to note that in the years leading up to her pregnancy she took active, public roles in the same organizations as TH&#8230;the Red Cross, Boy and Girl Scouts, American Society of Safety Engineers, and the local Delta Safety Society. She served on committees, held leadership positions, and coordinated activities between the different groups. I also find it intriguing that Thomas Hotard, Jr. (19 at the time of the murder) was very involved in the Red Cross and scouting with both TH and AM. As a matter of fact, during the summer AM disappeared to have her daughter, TH Jr. took her place as a swim and first aid instructor with the Jefferson Parish Red Cross. In later years, he would even hold some of the same offices that AM held, such as vice-chair of safety services for JPRC. When his father was killed and AM disappeared, TH Jr was still living at home with his parents, working as a clerk at a local bank&#8230;he actually spent his entire career at that bank. Considering TH Jr. was 15 years old when AM and the children lived with his family, and that he, AM, and TH were involved in organizations together thereafter, I truly wonder if he knew about their relationship before the murder/disappearance. Quite frankly, I believe several people close to them knew, and I&#8217;ll address that in another post. Thoughts? Input?

On a related note, here's a little chain of events that occurred just after the murder/disappearance…
As mentioned in previous posts, AM's former mother-in law, Leah Moate, said she received a call she believed was from AM on Thursday, December 6, eleven days after TH's body was discovered. This hit the papers immediately, and included a quote from Minnie Smith, AM's mother, stating she believed that it was indeed her daughter that phoned Mrs. Moate, and that she probably called her because she was in the New Orleans area and didn't have money to place a long-distance call to Baton Rouge. When Beulah Hotard (TH's widow) heard these reports, she (and I quote) "became fearful for her own safety" and asked for police protection. She was quoted as saying, "If she is alive she might try to come here. Or whoever committed the crime might try to come here and harm me and the children." (Times-Picayune Dec 8, 1956). Two days later, a cop spotted a woman in a liquor store that resembled AM and he took her into custody. She was then questioned at length by NOPD and St. John sheriff's deputies (Frenier Beach was in St. John the Baptist Parish). She was released after Thomas Hotard, Jr. came to the station and declared that the woman was not Audrey Moate. (Times-Picayune Dec 11, 1956).

Why would Beulah Hotard be that afraid of AM or "whoever committed the crime?" Why was TH, Jr. the person who came in to ID the woman in custody?

Fortbold - Is there no way for you to link some of these articles you are referencing? Or at least give an indication as to where they may be found?

Fortbold - Is there no way for you to link some of these articles you are referencing? Or at least give an indication as to where they may be found?
The newspaper accounts come from paid services. The Times-Picayune and Baton Rouge State Times/Advocate articles are from newsbank and there are also some substantiating articles from the Monroe (La) News-Star/Morning World on newspapers.com. Is it acceptable (or even possible) to post a pdf of the articles I reference? In the previous posts I noted the newspaper and publication dates for anyone who has access and wants to look up the stories.

Re: published stories... I discovered that the syndicated article that appeared in the Odessa American and other papers used quite a bit of creative license in retelling the tale. Once I went through all of the press accounts in chronological order as events unfolded, I got a much better sense of things. Then I researched family and geographical ties and interactions. From there I was able to interview people and ask more relevant questions. I'm the kind of person who likes to pull back and see a sweeping view of the subjects' "world" and consider possible connections, then zoom in bit by bit and examine those connections.

Right now I really want to find obituaries/causes of death for TH Jr and Carlton Vicknair (Beulah's brother). I have CV's obituary, but would like to know his COD since he died at age 43 less than 3 weeks after he was arrested for being a bookie in a sting that netted some very "connected" people. TH Jr also died young (41), but I can find no obituary or COD. I'm not inferring they had anything to do with the murder/disappearance, but those are two mysteriously missing pieces that I need to fit into my "big picture." Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! This research will become a published piece when all is said and done. The story will strive to be as sensitive as possible to the memories and feelings of the families involved, and will hopefully shed more light on how a murder such as this turns everyone's world inside out and how the lack of resolution affects people then and now.

I will tell you now that I am certainly NOT a hopeless romantic, but from a historical and psychological evaluation of their relationship, Thomas Hotard and Audrey Moate were two people who met, fell in love, and stayed in love for 5 or 6 years until their deaths. This wasn't a mid-life crisis affair for TH, or a reckless crush for AM. Theirs was a meeting of minds as well as hearts and neither of them was willing to ignore their mutual feelings. Eventually that resulted in a lot of pain for those around them, but until the murders I think they were handling things as best they could (in all likelihood more for their children than anyone else).

Fortbold - I don't think that you can post entire articles but you could certainly post significant quotes with attributable references. It sounds like you're a journalist and that you're writing an article???

ETA - I did a VERY extensive tree for Audrey on all three sides of the family. There are many children and grand-children alive that could probably provide information. I shared this tree with Audrey's grand-daughter and daughter. Have you been in touch with them?

Welcome, fortbold! Thank you for posting. I'm very interested in this case, myself, because it is somewhat local to me (I'm in New Orleans).

We're not allowed to post complete articles. What you can do is upload a pdf or screenshot to an app like google docs or dropbox, and post a link.

If you have more questions, I'll be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Bessie

Pink Panther & Bessie, you both answered questions before I could ask them - thank you! I definitely intend to reach out to the family with questions, maybe even share some answers that could fill in a few blanks. Actually, the content of whatever I publish will be greatly influenced by how it might affect the family, and I'll get a better sense of that when I speak to them. I am more of a historian than a sensationalist and I'm careful about what I write/publish under my name. Because I have previously researched and written pieces about 20th century Louisiana politics and history, I had a pretty good feel for what to look for and where to find it. That doesn't mean there was some grand political conspiracy here - I do not believe that to be the case at all! :)

That being said, I am certainly not trying to hoard or hide what I've discovered, especially the info reported in the press at the time. Now that I know the appropriate way to share it, I will get to work on it! I think the most valuable input I will offer on this board is added perspective on what was happening during that time period. It is so important to view "facts" in proper context. I am under a couple of tight deadlines on other projects (mostly because I got distracted by a couple of other boards on WS-haha), but I will start posting what I can within the next day or so - stay tuned!!!

Was looking for info on this murder to show to my grandchildren (who are grown). I lived in a neighboring town and was at Frenier on that Saturday. I had just started driving alone and was allowed to drive (with 3 friends along) to LaPlace because there was a street fair going on. Being teenagers, we decided to forgo the fair in favor of a trip to (the forbidden because of remoteness) Frenier. The road leading to the lake was gravel, narrow and long. There was a car parked perpendicular to the road at the end of the road. There was no one in the car to my knowledge (but we didn't go over to look in). We waded in the lake and ran around for a bit then headed home (I had to be back at 2 or 3). The next day(Sunday), we saw the photo of the car on the front page of the Times-Picayune! We could add nothing to the investigation but it was scary. Needless to say, we were all grounded for a couple of weeks.

Interesting Kim and welcome.

So, were you there around noon? Did you see anyone else in the area?

The only thing I saw was a truck with 2 people leaving as we were going in. I remember because the road was soooo narrow and I had not been driving for very long and I just knew I was going to end up in the swamp. After reading the account in the newspaper, I figured the truck was the hunter and his son that were mentioned. However, I lived in fear that the footprints in the sand may have been from our 15-year-old feet! Keep in mind that this was very rural - things like this didn't EVER happen so law enforcement (and I use that term loosely) was without a clue as to how to handle it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back