LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75 #2

Wasn't the medical examiner a local gynecologist? I remember reading something along those lines in the first thread. And Tony or someone else asked FACES if they agreed on the assessment of the 16-17 year-old age range given for BCJD, and they did concur.
Who knows if there is some error in the age range, also I always say, we should also check all those profiles of missing boys on Namus that have no photos...

Little curiosity: a few years later another UID boy was found in those places, sad.

This is the first time I’ve heard about this case, but I wonder if he was a local who was never reported missing for family reasons. If he came from an upper class family and had some troubles, they may never have reported him. My cousin was never reported missing until they found his body.

Another thought is that there are plenty of private schools in the NOLA area where he could have learned that language, even ones that have since closed. I’m about to read the first thread, but I wonder if anyone has looked at yearbooks.

This is the first time I’ve heard about this case, but I wonder if he was a local who was never reported missing for family reasons. If he came from an upper class family and had some troubles, they may never have reported him. My cousin was never reported missing until they found his body.

Another thought is that there are plenty of private schools in the NOLA area where he could have learned that language, even ones that have since closed. I’m about to read the first thread, but I wonder if anyone has looked at yearbooks.
I think people have and I am sure someone was about to start looking again in the last few days :) But if you can, please also feel free :)

One more question I have about Charles Wallace: The news article with his mom (attached relevant screenshot below, entirety has been posted a few times in previous thread) states CW graduated in 1971 and had a job with Proctor and Gamble.

If CW graduated high school in 1971 at a traditional age, he would have been 18 then and 22-ish in 1975? To me even though so many other things seem to match, that is quite a bit outside the seemingly confirmed 16-17 age. View attachment 484250

Hmm.. I don't think CW graduated in 1971. The photo you cleaned up is from the 1973 yearbook - on page 121, listing the FFA Officers, with Charles Wallace as the President. I located the high school yearbooks 1967 - 1973 and did not find Charles Wallace in any class photos or in any other student organizations. I may have found him in another FFA group shot on page 118 under Production Agriculture I & II, but he is in the back row with only his nose and above visible. Interestingly, he has the same lighter spot of hair on his left (photo right) temple - could be lighter hair or just the lighting in both photos.

1708540855735.png

At the very end of the 1973 yearbook, there is an index of the seniors and their extracurriculars. On page 212 there is "Charles Howard Wallace FFA - 1, 2, 3, 4: President - 4", which further leads me to believe CW graduated in 1973, not 1971 as the newspaper article cites. I cross-referenced two other years ('71 & '72) and the FFA Presidents for those years seniors - it's possible President was a position typically held by a senior.

1708541331377.png

Another item that could back up CW's not graduating in 1971 is an article I found from The Jackson Sun on February 28th, 1973. It details Charles Wallace participating in an FFA public speaking contest.
1708541575946.png

Hmm.. I don't think CW graduated in 1971. The photo you cleaned up is from the 1973 yearbook - on page 121, listing the FFA Officers, with Charles Wallace as the President. I located the high school yearbooks 1967 - 1973 and did not find Charles Wallace in any class photos or in any other student organizations. I may have found him in another FFA group shot on page 118 under Production Agriculture I & II, but he is in the back row with only his nose and above visible. Interestingly, he has the same lighter spot of hair on his left (photo right) temple - could be lighter hair or just the lighting in both photos.

View attachment 484995

At the very end of the 1973 yearbook, there is an index of the seniors and their extracurriculars. On page 212 there is "Charles Howard Wallace FFA - 1, 2, 3, 4: President - 4", which further leads me to believe CW graduated in 1973, not 1971 as the newspaper article cites. I cross-referenced two other years ('71 & '72) and the FFA Presidents for those years seniors - it's possible President was a position typically held by a senior.

View attachment 484997

Another item that could back up CW's not graduating in 1971 is an article I found from The Jackson Sun on February 28th, 1973. It details Charles Wallace participating in an FFA public speaking contest.
View attachment 485001
If that top of head shot is not him I'll eat my hat!

In the first thread I know doubt had been cast on it being Charles Wallace for the very reason that he was president of the FFA and was public speaking, which sort of didn't sound like our John Doe.
However someone also noted that the note he left used rhetoric which is exactly a skill that a public speaker would have. Could the quotes he used also suggest a familiarity with public speaking and maybe even someone who was a member of a debate society? Was Charles?

And can I just say...a pound of turnips for 10c! 12 grapefruits for a dollar! What an age to be alive!

Great finds, @amytothekate

Unfortunate CW was not in any of the earlier yearbooks. Maybe he attended a different high school?

Having blonde streaks/lighter brown hair also corresponds with the quote about Mrs Wallace remarking BCJD's hair was "Too dark" to be Charlie.

So the 1971 date must be an error in the article which mentions him working for P&G after graduation. I wonder how long he worked there? (Oddly, once did myself many years ago...but not THAT long ago!)

Really wish we had more direct information about CW. Agree @Ciriii57 the public speaking and FFA sort of facade isn't what I picture either. I was thinking a bit more stereotypically "Bohemian", but this is completely the feeling and bias I have here. And if CW is actually a couple of years younger, that makes him a bit more possible for me.

In favor aside from the resemblance are CW previous attempts. (I wonder what CW actually did? How serious?) On the other hand, the BCJD mentions "wanting to do this for a year." He never referenced prior attempts.

Against: CW has lighter hair, no scar on his leg and his mother said BCJD was not him. Also, the location is a bit out of the way. I feel this is more likely a local or maybe someone who had been living/staying nearby for awhile, at least long enough to scope it out. CW had not been missing very long, right?

A lot to think about

Who knows if there is some error in the age range, also I always say, we should also check all those profiles of missing boys on Namus that have no photos...

Little curiosity: a few years later another UID boy was found in those places, sad.

I agree with checking others too. Just wanted to point out there was some consensus with the age range vs it being the sole opinion of someone who was primarily a local gynecologist. For me, this increases the likelihood that BCJD was 16-17. I would personally look for anyone from 12-25 as *possible*, but given growth plates, wisdom teeth and other biological markers, am operating under the assumption that 16-17 came from something other than a hunch.

This is purely my opinion: I think we have more of a self-educated kid who was into philosophy, liked the Beats, etc. Another posted pointed out the misquote of Durkheim in the initial thread, and I find this really interesting. Everyone, myself included, just accepted the quote on face value. Media ran with it. It has been decades since I was in an intro to soc class, and things become a bit murky, but when I refreshed my memory after reading the suggestion BCJD had the theories a bit confused, I concur.

Anyone could do this, but another bit of a nudge for me towards a younger teen, introspective, in pain, and an outcast. This doesn't really sound like CW to me.

This is purely my opinion: I think we have more of a self-educated kid who was into philosophy, liked the Beats, etc. Another posted pointed out the misquote of Durkheim in the initial thread, and I find this really interesting. Everyone, myself included, just accepted the quote on face value. Media ran with it. It has been decades since I was in an intro to soc class, and things become a bit murky, but when I refreshed my memory after reading the suggestion BCJD had the theories a bit confused, I concur.

Anyone could do this, but another bit of a nudge for me towards a younger teen, introspective, in pain, and an outcast. This doesn't really sound like CW to me.
I'm moving further away from CW I must admit. Although I can't fully get passed the biological similarities I also think there are enough discrepancies for me to question it (feet, scar on leg, hair colour) and personality wise CW just doesn't seem to fit for me somehow.
Even apart from the fact that I doubt BCJD was much of a public speaker I really can't imagine him being an active member of the Future Farmers of America. I'm not convinced he'd have any interest in this particular organisation and it sounds like he wasn't involved in any social organisations at all.

On balance of probability I'm also almost certain this was someone who lived locally. I cant imagine anyone not from the area ending up in Belle Chasse.

On balance of probability I'm also almost certain this was someone who lived locally. I cant imagine anyone not from the area ending up in Belle Chasse.
If it's someone from the area and I don't think so, it's someone who has never been reported missing, otherwise someone would have already recognized him.

I can't locate the article(s?) that mention him working at P&C or his mother talking about his feet. I went through newspapers.com today and clipped all articles I could find associated with CW - I also couldn't relocate one that I think had a photo of his mother. Bah!

I've been pretty heavily leaning towards CW because I can't shake the scar in the mouth - that's a massive scar (40 stitches!), what are the odds? The missing scar on the knee - could have lightened over time if it was from an injury a long time ago. The darker hair - if he didn't want his identity known, couldn't he have dyed his hair darker? His mother saying it resembles him but it's not him - utterly perplexing.

Part of the gravitation towards CW is seeing a lot of my younger self in him. Some of the things folks find contradictory or feel make him unlikely, such as the FFA and public speaking, don't surprise me. I could "perform" in social situations and was a even a great public speaker, but I'm a total introvert and I was extremely depressed and suicidal with multiple attempts. I had several personas in high school just to.. get by (until I didn't). Wish we could get our hands on CW's speech to compare styles!

I deeply empathize with BCJD's note. At that age, I thought I was so wise and knew with absolutely certainty that things would never get better and I needed to take things into my own hands to protect myself and those around me. I was wrong, but I still remember the weight of those feelings and beliefs and honestly, the idea of experiencing them again is frightening. My heart breaks for BCJD and what he went through.

I also don't think he was a local due to his desire not to be identified. There is strong evidence for and against CW and I wouldn't be surprised either way, but something in my gut is nagging the heck out of me that's it's not him and I can't say why (just a feeling).

Maybe I'm a old enough myself--early 50s--but I have noticed this mentioned fairly often in what I have read of the initial thread as well, and to me, what he was wearing seems fairly normal/typical.

Mismatched socks are easily explained to me, and his clothing seems like it was fairly good quality and in good condition. The outfit choice itself is keeping with the times.

I'm not sure why people feel he looked homeless?
I don't think he was homeless. He was well-educated, obviously his family had money to send him to a psychologist or psychiatrist which seems evident to me in his missive. He may have been colour blind, hence mismatched socks. He may also have just grabbed whatever was in a drawer; I think it's an insignificant clue. I don't even think he was a runaway. I think his life could have been not meeting expectations of his parents (in the vein of the movie Ordinary People). I think he was local and it's possible his family knew of his death and chose not to come forward. IMO

I can't locate the article(s?) that mention him working at P&C or his mother talking about his feet. I went through newspapers.com today and clipped all articles I could find associated with CW - I also couldn't relocate one that I think had a photo of his mother. Bah!

I've been pretty heavily leaning towards CW because I can't shake the scar in the mouth - that's a massive scar (40 stitches!), what are the odds? The missing scar on the knee - could have lightened over time if it was from an injury a long time ago. The darker hair - if he didn't want his identity known, couldn't he have dyed his hair darker? His mother saying it resembles him but it's not him - utterly perplexing.

Part of the gravitation towards CW is seeing a lot of my younger self in him. Some of the things folks find contradictory or feel make him unlikely, such as the FFA and public speaking, don't surprise me. I could "perform" in social situations and was a even a great public speaker, but I'm a total introvert and I was extremely depressed and suicidal with multiple attempts. I had several personas in high school just to.. get by (until I didn't). Wish we could get our hands on CW's speech to compare styles!

I deeply empathize with BCJD's note. At that age, I thought I was so wise and knew with absolutely certainty that things would never get better and I needed to take things into my own hands to protect myself and those around me. I was wrong, but I still remember the weight of those feelings and beliefs and honestly, the idea of experiencing them again is frightening. My heart breaks for BCJD and what he went through.

I also don't think he was a local due to his desire not to be identified. There is strong evidence for and against CW and I wouldn't be surprised either way, but something in my gut is nagging the heck out of me that's it's not him and I can't say why (just a feeling).
Look in the first thread - Post No 625 and 626 . There’s a newspaper article that has a lot of detail about CW’s mother viewing the body of BCJD. The photo of the mother is in 625 and she talks about the feet in 626. I’m not sure how to bring it forward to this thread.

It seems to me that Mrs Wallace was not alone with the BCJD, and that Officer Verdi and reporter(s) were present as well, so one would hope whatever took place to ID/rule out had some kind of method to it. It is hard to say though--i.e. "she asked to see his feet."

One thing just occurred to me that I don’t think has been discussed (or ever mentioned in newspapers) - the condition his body was in when Mrs. Wallace viewed it.

He’d been dead a couple of months by the time she saw him - was he kept “on ice” that whole time, or had he been prepared for burial (ie pumped with preserving agents etc)?

Even apart from the fact that I doubt BCJD was much of a public speaker I really can't imagine him being an active member of the Future Farmers of America.

On mobile so can’t check easily atm, but does anyone remember how FFA Charlie Wallace was discovered? Are we sure he’s the son of the Mrs Wallace who came to see BCJD?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SquirrelChaser
Back