LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75 #2

Adding on to this. He could have been identified and his family asked/pulled strings for him to not be made public. My cousin was a John Doe for a few weeks after he committed suicide. My uncle pulled strings to not have him publicly named because we’re a local celebrity family.
I don't think so. His namus and doenetwork profiles were created somewhat "recently". He wouldn't end up there if he was at some point identified (by/to authorities), identified and having name publicly revealed are two different things.

He was fingerprinted, but autopsy isn't mentioned anywhere. So no telling if his injuries were even consistent with hanging...
The autopsy report was mentioned in various articles from the time I believe. I don't believe there was any internal investigation but several identifying marks and scars were noted, such as the one inside his mouth and it was found that he died from strangulation, not by hanging. In fact he had failed in his attempt to hang himself.
The coroner SHOULD have noted the distinct marks cause by strangulation with a noose, as opposed to by hands for instance. This would cause a very different signature and was probably another reason murder was ruled out.

The letter suggests that his parents were still alive when he left home and perhaps lived with him...So I don't think he was adopted or fostered by anyone before leaving...It's too intimate, a personal letter with his parents...Now it's been a long time, his parents are probably dead, he has no brothers or sisters, and his closest relatives, uncles and cousins never check these sites like Doe Network and Namus, because even today in 2024 this also happens, many people are not familiar with computers and don't even know that the sites exist.

I grew up with the internet and only found out about Namus and the Doe Network when I was 28(ish). And I don’t think this was a murder. There are certain signs on the body, even without an autopsy that would show the difference. The doctor who examined him would, in theory, recognize the differences.

From what I recall, it has been posted in the threads on him that maybe his shoes were close by in the woods and they were just missed by the police. They were not looking for a body, or any evidence of a crime scene, after all, so if he took the shoes off for some reason and they weren't thrown in the river, the shoes may well have been missed.

He may have been adopted, who knows. It's obviously harder to ID Does when that's the case like with the murder victim Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe in California.

At that time, he would have likely been wearing "preppy" loafers with that rather "preppy" outfit. They don't stay on real well, so he might have needed to take them off to climb the tree. Or they might have been dislodged while...well, I can't think of a non-graphic way to describe that so I'll just say the shoes could have been kicked quite some distance.

I suspect they are very busy, and I'm sure the potential wait list is long at the lab. I would like to know if there has been any effort at all to locate the EXACT spot in the cemetery he is at? And I wonder what kind of hurdles have to be jumped in order for him to be exhumed for DNA testing?
Would FACES know? Since all the breakthroughs with DNA testing, IMO , it just seems that this young man is either not a high priority or it's a difficult process and $ to go through..having him located an exhumed.

I suspect they are very busy, and I'm sure the potential wait list is long at the lab. I would like to know if there has been any effort at all to locate the EXACT spot in the cemetery he is at? And I wonder what kind of hurdles have to be jumped in order for him to be exhumed for DNA testing?
Would FACES know? Since all the breakthroughs with DNA testing, IMO , it just seems that this young man is either not a high priority or it's a difficult process and $ to go through..having him located an exhumed.
I "think" the exact location of his remains are known. The cemetery will have records of who resides in each burial plot. Unlike other records which are destroyed after a number of years have passed, burial records usually remain in perpetuity.
As for exhumation; state law would require a court order to exhume the remains. This would need to come from LE or a medical examiner/coroner. I would include FACES Lab in this. Since his case is not active, no LE seems to be involved, there's no case file left and no missing person's family actively think he's their family member I would guess there is about 1% chance of exhumation.

The only way he's going to be exhumed is if there is a very strong chance of him being a missing person and LE make a move to check or by really getting the public's interest in this case high leaving local authorities no choice but to check. His story has a certain sad romance to it that I really believe would appeal to people. And of course, there's money.

So I have mentioned prior I believe him to be a poet. There is "confessional poetry" that was popular in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s. It was written with many sentences beginning in "I" as this young man did and was mainly about sexuality, mental health, and suicide. Not that this helps to identify him, but trying to locate what schools may have exposed him to this form of poetry writing ..or maybe a parent was a writer or studied Literature. IMO, I'm not sure about this Durkheim theory.
This young man seems like an old soul.
Side note..Sexton and Plath were two popular Confessional Poets who both died by Suicide.

So I have mentioned prior I believe him to be a poet. There is "confessional poetry" that was popular in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s. It was written with many sentences beginning in "I" as this young man did and was mainly about sexuality, mental health, and suicide. Not that this helps to identify him, but trying to locate what schools may have exposed him to this form of poetry writing ..or maybe a parent was a writer or studied Literature. IMO, I'm not sure about this Durkheim theory.
This young man seems like an old soul.
Side note..Sexton and Plath were two popular Confessional Poets who both died by Suicide.

I had kind of forgotten about those poets. They were widely popular with high school and college intellectuals in the 60s and early 70s, though for most of us it was more of a pose than a real life philosophy. Plath's The Bell Jar (semi-autobiographical novel) was widely read in English classes, along with Catcher in the Rye and the beat poets and (if the teacher was really trendy and brave) The Stranger and some of the other existentialists.

I'd say it implies he attended a more progressive high school, but I read them all and more, and I was in small-town Montana, so I've never felt like it was much of a clue.

I had kind of forgotten about those poets. They were widely popular with high school and college intellectuals in the 60s and early 70s, though for most of us it was more of a pose than a real life philosophy. Plath's The Bell Jar (semi-autobiographical novel) was widely read in English classes, along with Catcher in the Rye and the beat poets and (if the teacher was really trendy and brave) The Stranger and some of the other existentialists.

I'd say it implies he attended a more progressive high school, but I read them all and more, and I was in small-town Montana, so I've never felt like it was much of a clue.
I won't pretend I have any clue about any of these poets, they werent required reading nor have I ever looked into them.
However, since you just mentioned Plath's the Bell Jar, my mind immediately spun to his suicide letter being in a glass jar!
Any significance? Was he trying to "make a point" in some way?

I'm sure I'm reaching here and it's a huge coincidence haha

I won't pretend I have any clue about any of these poets, they werent required reading nor have I ever looked into them.
However, since you just mentioned Plath's the Bell Jar, my mind immediately spun to his suicide letter being in a glass jar!

Did a quick research of The Bell Jar....depression, feeling trapped, several suicide attempts, seeing no way out, having therapy including electro shock therapy, unable to get air due to feeling as if you're trapped in a bell jar...it does sound relevant to our guy!

I wish we knew if the jar was in fact a bell jar! I'm certain the local sheriff wouldn't have picked up the clue but it seems a very strange coincidence that may well explain the note being inside a jar; something we've always found strangely preplanned!

It absolutely could be related. Good thought!

"(ECT)beneficial in that it has a sort of antidepressant effect; it lifts the metaphorical bell jar in which she has felt trapped and stifled." That is quoting from an online synopsis of the novel. I'm not familiar with it.

Sylvia Plath committed suicide on Feb 11, I noticed, looking her up online.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bnicole*
Back