LA - Meing-Chen Hsiao, 34, murdered in her Monroe home, 9 Aug 2015 *arrest*

http://wreg.com/2016/05/09/louisiana-judge-limits-testimony-in-quinton-tellis-theft-case/

MONROE, La. — A jury is unlikely to hear testimony about who actually killed a Taiwanese woman living in Louisiana at the trial of Quinton Tellis, the man charged with unauthorized use of her debit card.

Tellis, also indicted for capital murder in the 2014 burning death of northern Mississippi teenager Jessica Chambers, is being tried on the charges connected with the death of Meing-Chen Hsiao.

[...]
Tellis isn’t charged with killing Hsiao though police have called him a suspect.

Instead, the 27-year-old is charged with three counts of unauthorized use of an access card and one count of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.

State District Judge Larry Jefferson ruled Monday that prosecutors can discuss Hsiao’s death in connection with Tellis’ alleged use of the debit card.

But he said at a pretrial hearing Monday that prosecutors can’t call the death a murder in front of jurors.

He also said they cannot use pre-trial testimony from a witness who said Tellis acknowledged stabbing a person.

[...]

Without a jury present, Eric Hill testified that Tellis told him about using the card while both were drinking.

WHBQ-TV*reported that Hill — a cousin of Tellis’ wife — testified that when asked about how Tellis had obtained the card, Hill replied, “he told me about a robbery and stabbing.”

Hill testified Tellis answered “yes” when asked if he’d stabbed someone and answered “yes” when asked if he’d stabbed the person more than once.

Monroe Police Detective Duane Cookson said records show Tellis made a cellphone call from a location with GPS coordinates matching Hsiao’s apartment on July 29, the night investigators believe she was killed.

He said that after investigators found Hsiao’s decomposed body, they connected Tellis by viewing surveillance footage associated with a July 28 Wal-Mart receipt.

They saw Tellis with Hsiao, and he told investigators he had gone to the store to buy pain pills, using her prescription.

Cookson testified that Hsiao’s Chase bank card was used multiple times in August after her death and that surveillance cameras captured Tellis using the card.

Cookson also said Tellis had acknowledged using it.

More at link...

I think this might be a spelling mistake: " He bought pain pills using her prescription ". I think it is: * he bought pain pills using her debit card*

She was seen on the surveillance video at Walmart with him: I keep thinking how did poor Mandy trust him enough to let him into her apt and go to Walmart with him. If you look at him he doesn't engender trustworthy feelings in a person. Was she a very naive person? What type of wool did he pull over her eyes?

This case reminds me of techie " Arpana Jinaga" who was brutally raped and killed by Emmanuel Fair, on Halloween Day in Seattle. The apt complex had a multi unit Halloween party and Arpana opened her apt for the party and the perp came to her apt for the party and she even reportedly took him to her bedroom to show pictures of her family on her computer.

These 2 cases is a reminder that single women need to be very very careful who they let into their homes. There are monsters out there who are looking for an opportunity to strike.

I think this might be a spelling mistake: " He bought pain pills using her prescription ". I think it is: * he bought pain pills using her debit card*

She was seen on the surveillance video at Walmart with him: I keep thinking how did poor Mandy trust him enough to let him into her apt and go to Walmart with him. If you look at him he doesn't engender trustworthy feelings in a person. Was she a very naive person? What type of wool did he pull over her eyes?

This case reminds me of techie " Arpana Jinaga" who was brutally raped and killed by Emmanuel Fair, on Halloween Day in Seattle. The apt complex had a multi unit Halloween party and Arpana opened her apt for the party and the perp came to her apt for the party and she even reportedly took him to her bedroom to show pictures of her family on her computer.

These 2 cases is a reminder that single women need to be very very careful who they let into their homes. There are monsters out there who are looking for an opportunity to strike.

Here are some respectful thoughts re your much appreciated post, parts of which I bolded for cross-referencing.

1) I think this might be a spelling mistake: " He bought pain pills using her prescription ". I think it is: * he bought pain pills using her debit card*

comment:
"A notice of intent to use evidence of other crimes filed by the state on May 5 states Tellis told detectives he and Hsiao filled a prescription for Lortab at the Wal-Mart neighborhood market on DeSiard Street on July 28.
Tellis said he purchased the Lortab from Hsiao for $50 and intended to sell it, according to the court document."
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/ne...ry-selection-begin-monday-afternoon/84145164/

(2) How did poor Mandy trust him enough to let him into her apt and go to Walmart with him?

comment:
Good question. How did he draw her into his predatory trap?
One of the kids with whom Ms. Mandy Hsaio was friendly was Tellis' stepson.
See video at about 00:45:
http://www.fox13memphis.com/news/ho...louisiana-murder-victim-mandy-hsiao/115592146
Ms. Hsaio most likely naively assumed--without even thinking about it--that the stepson's stepfather (QVT) was OK.
(And how did QVT also draw Jessica Chambers into his predatory trap?)

(3) single women need to be very very careful who they let into their homes.

comment:
I agree 100%. People need to be vigilant about whom they allow into their homes--and into their lives in general.
The wolves are out there, stalking the sheep.
The means are readily available on the web for the average person to do at least a basic background check.

IMO, I think the young adult ages of these ladies do make them a lot more trusting and naive in general, sadly. It also sounded like Haiso struggled financially with very little support network making her also higher risk for a known criminal drug pusher to take advantage of her by giving her a means of a way to get extra funds, which I'm sure is also similar to Chambers circumstances.

I think Tellis is a repetitive con artist who perfected his game, talked the talk, and walked the walk. Also sadly so many of these criminals, abusers, and murders, male and female, have similar MOs.

IMO, I think the young adult ages of these ladies do make them a lot more trusting and naive in general, sadly. It also sounded like Haiso struggled financially with very little support network making her also higher risk for a known criminal drug pusher to take advantage of her by giving her a means of a way to get extra funds, which I'm sure is also similar to Chambers circumstances.

I think Tellis is a repetitive con artist who perfected his game, talked the talk, and walked the walk. Also sadly so many of these criminals, abusers, and murders, male and female, have similar MOs.

People from Taiwan are very close-knit and supportive. I had neighbors who were Taiwanese and they used to support all the Taiwanese students. They used to have students come and go all the time.
She might have been struggling financially. Maybe he told her how she can get make money.

This is one of the most common forms of prescription drug abuse. Drug dealers seek out people with prescriptions (bonus points if the prescribed person is insured=lower cost), and they dealer will then purchase the (initially legally obtained) rx from the person with the prescription. It is not uncommon to see a 500% return on one's investment in this regard. It is also not uncommon for drug dealers to have 20+ people on their 'team' who supply them with prescription narcotics (opiates/sedatives mostly these days), thus increasing their income. The prescribed makes a little pocket change by selling their rx to the drug dealer, and then the dealer makes a killing (no pun intended) by selling the rx on the streets. Dealers seem to have a knack for seeking out individuals (usually females or addicts who can swap their rx for illegal drugs) to provide them with the pills.

Here are some respectful thoughts re your much appreciated post, parts of which I bolded for cross-referencing.

1) I think this might be a spelling mistake: " He bought pain pills using her prescription ". I think it is: * he bought pain pills using her debit card*

comment:
"A notice of intent to use evidence of other crimes filed by the state on May 5 states Tellis told detectives he and Hsiao filled a prescription for Lortab at the Wal-Mart neighborhood market on DeSiard Street on July 28.
Tellis said he purchased the Lortab from Hsiao for $50 and intended to sell it, according to the court document."
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/ne...ry-selection-begin-monday-afternoon/84145164/

(2) How did poor Mandy trust him enough to let him into her apt and go to Walmart with him?

comment:
Good question. How did he draw her into his predatory trap?
One of the kids with whom Ms. Mandy Hsaio was friendly was Tellis' stepson.
See video at about 00:45:
http://www.fox13memphis.com/news/ho...louisiana-murder-victim-mandy-hsiao/115592146
Ms. Hsaio most likely naively assumed--without even thinking about it--that the stepson's stepfather (QVT) was OK.
(And how did QVT also draw Jessica Chambers into his predatory trap?)

(3) single women need to be very very careful who they let into their homes.

comment:
I agree 100%. People need to be vigilant about whom they allow into their homes--and into their lives in general.
The wolves are out there, stalking the sheep.
The means are readily available on the web for the average person to do at least a basic background check.

This is one of the most common forms of prescription drug abuse. Drug dealers seek out people with prescriptions (bonus points if the prescribed person is insured=lower cost), and they dealer will then purchase the (initially legally obtained) rx from the person with the prescription. It is not uncommon to see a 500% return on one's investment in this regard. It is also not uncommon for drug dealers to have 20+ people on their 'team' who supply them with prescription narcotics (opiates/sedatives mostly these days), thus increasing their income. The prescribed makes a little pocket change by selling their rx to the drug dealer, and then the dealer makes a killing (no pun intended) by selling the rx on the streets. Dealers seem to have a knack for seeking out individuals (usually females or addicts who can swap their rx for illegal drugs) to provide them with the pills.

Agree with you. Each pill is sold for $30.00 on the street. People addicted to opiates are willing to pay top dollar to deal with withdrawal symptoms/support the addiction.

Warrant: Murder victim 'tortured' before death
Ashley Mott, 4:38 p.m. CDT July 8, 2016

ULM alumna Ming-Chen Hsiao was tortured for her debit card's personal identification number, according to a warrant filed Thursday in 4th Judicial District Court.

Quinton Tellis faces charges of first-degree murder in connection with the case. He is currently in custody in DeSoto County, Mississippi, awaiting a July 15 arraignment on a capital murder charge associated with the 2014 burning death of Jessica Chambers.

Panola County District Attorney John Champion said his office received the warrant to be served to Tellis, and the charge will not affect the scheduled arraignment or trial.

Hsiao died the evening of July 29 after being stabbed over 30 times, according to the warrant. According to the warrant, it is believed superficial cuts and slices were used to inflict pain until the victim provided her PIN number.

[...]

I don’t see this article as having been previously posted here.
Re BBM: Was she found the same day he was supposed to be getting married?

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ent-louisiana-victim-tortured-death/86811406/
The homicide allegedly took place on July 29, and her body was found Aug. 8. As authorities worked the death scene, Tellis was celebrating his wedding to Chikita Jackson.

A pair of tennis shoes was found in an outside storage shed, and they had been spray-painted white, according to the affidavit. Under the paint were dark stains police believed to be blood.

Jackson told police Tellis didn't work but stayed home and watched her son. When he wasn't doing that, she said, he was with her cousin, Eric Hill.

Hill initially told police that another man named Curtis Lemons had allegedly told him he had stabbed Hsiao until she gave up the PIN to her debit card. Hill then picked Lemons out of a photo lineup but wouldn't initial it. He then looked at another lineup that included Tellis and said he didn't know anyone in it.

Court documents stated Hill told police Hsiao was stabbed and sliced in various ways meant to inflict pain until she gave up the PIN and that not all the wounds were meant to kill her — details only the killer would know.

Lemons was cleared. When police confronted Hill with the fact that they knew he was Jackson's cousin and associated with Tellis, Hill admitted he knew the details because Tellis had told him and that he had wanted to frame Lemons. Hill told police he and Tellis were telling "war stories" about their criminal histories, even trying to "one up" each other, when Tellis told him about going "to a lady's house" where he "robbed her of her credit cards, beat her up pretty bad, and stabbed her."

Tellis trial is currently underway for the murder of Jessica Chambers:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ers-Panola-County-Dec-2014/page9#post13686057

The personal side of Meing-Chen Hsaio:
http://www.myarklamiss.com/news/loc...ctim-mandy-hsiaos-story-is-revealed/385958350

-her friends knew her as Mandy.
-
very independent, enjoying being on her own and making the culture that she was surrounded by her own.
-
"Because she had been a teacher she carried candy around with her sometimes,"
-
she got a job in Australia, farm work, she was willing to try all kinds of new things
-
Falling in love with a man named Steven who introduced her to Christ and the Christian faith.
"Her visa ran out so she had to leave the country and then a really tragic thing that happened to her, she stayed in contact with him and his family but she found out he was in a car accident and died. Whenever life was really hard for her she would say, I just want to go to heaven and see Steven,"

”tears”

Forgive me for the elementary question but has QT been indicted in Mandy’s murder? I know he is serving the credit card plea but have I missed the other? TIA

I don't understand this part:

"The cops then discovered that, shortly after Hsiao’s death, someone had called the customer service number that is listed on every debit card issued by the bank and had asked for help to access the balance and personal identification number. The number that had made the call was linked to one Quinton Tellis."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolasmed...o-two-murder?utm_term=.ro4Pd68eBG#.doydLGBbKV

Is a bank going to give a caller that information? Can I find a debit card and call the 1-800 number on the back, and ask for the pin#?

I don't understand this part:

"The cops then discovered that, shortly after Hsiao’s death, someone had called the customer service number that is listed on every debit card issued by the bank and had asked for help to access the balance and personal identification number. The number that had made the call was linked to one Quinton Tellis."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolasmed...o-two-murder?utm_term=.ro4Pd68eBG#.doydLGBbKV

Is a bank going to give a caller that information? Can I find a debit card and call the 1-800 number on the back, and ask for the pin#?
He didn't get Hsaio's PIN # so he killed her. He didn't get sex from JC so he killed her. Pattern much? MOO

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

He didn't get Hsaio's PIN # so he killed her. He didn't get sex from JC so he killed her. Pattern much? MOO

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

But there are other reports saying he was able to get $1000 for her account using the debit card.

ETA:

Court records show that the MPD then obtained a search warrant to see Hsiao’s bank records. They found that someone had withdrawn $1,000 from two different ATMs in the days after her death. The officers then asked the bank for any phone records related to the account.

The cops then discovered that, shortly after Hsiao’s death, someone had called the customer service number that is listed on every debit card issued by the bank and had asked for help to access the balance and personal identification number. The number that had made the call was linked to one Quinton Tellis.

[from buzzed, linked in post above]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stupot77