LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.katc.com/videos/search-is-on-for-missing-woman-10pm/

Who is he talking about when he says "what you've done"?

Obviously MOO, but I took it to mean that it was completely unbelievable to him that she would disappear voluntarily and therefore 'someone' had something to do with this.

Not sure if you have ever been interviewed for TV but the reporter asks questions off camera like: ""Do you have a message for the person who may have done something to cause Mickey to disappear?' They then edit the parts of the comments that make for good tv.

Again, MOO. HTH.

I wish these beautiful young women would stop walking or running or riding bikes ALONE in the middle of the night. I try to remind my 20 yr old DD of that as much as possible. It is so sad that I have to warn her, and that she has to even worry about it. But that is how it is right now. :mad:

I hear you, but I remember that age, being so carefree, so strong and the world at my fingertips. I traveled across the country and abroad with nary a thought of danger. Going to Horse Shows, the Olympics all of it. At her age you just don't consider danger if your life style has never lived it. Parents may warn, but unfortunately it goes unheeded. Most survive unscathed but a few fall to the elements they don't expect.

I believe this was either a case of someone hitting her then panicking and removing the evidence...which would require that they were in a truck

or

She drove off some sort of embankment. Locally, we had this happen to a Mom on the way to work recently. It took 48 hours to find her bright red car in the underbrush. I would imagine a bike might be even harder to spot.

For the record, I think the first scenario is much more likely...but agree, it seems there would be broken reflectors or something...but 4 miles is a lot of ground to cover with a fine toothed, investigative comb.

Praying I am wrong.

Obviously MOO, but I took it to mean that it was completely unbelievable to him that she would disappear voluntarily and therefore 'someone' had something to do with this.

Not sure if you have ever been interviewed for TV but the reporter asks questions off camera like: ""Do you have a message for the person who may have done something to cause Mickey to disappear?' They then edit the parts of the comments that make for good tv.

Again, MOO. HTH.

Certainly not asking that question in an accusatory manner. But when I see people who are obviously close to a missing person being interviewed, I always squint and turn my head sideways
icon12.gif

Stephen McDaniel spoke in front of cameras in Lauren's case. There was just something hinky about him from the get-go and it wasn't his hairdo.

This young man speaking out for Mickey may be perfectly legit.

Seems like several locals have said there aren't really any ditches etc. that the area is very flat, and also that there would be lots of student traffic all the time, so it seems like it would be difficult to hit someone, take the person and the bike with you, and not be seen. JMO

I believe this was either a case of someone hitting her then panicking and removing the evidence...which would require that they were in a truck

or

She drove off some sort of embankment. Locally, we had this happen to a Mom on the way to work recently. It took 48 hours to find her bright red car in the underbrush. I would imagine a bike might be even harder to spot.

For the record, I think the first scenario is much more likely...but agree, it seems there would be broken reflectors or something...but 4 miles is a lot of ground to cover with a fine toothed, investigative comb.

Praying I am wrong.

BBM.
Not necessarily. I once whacked a deer @40 MPH in a Lincoln town car, the only damage was a cracked turn signal. Also, one of those "bull bars", or "brush gaurds", on the front of a truck would protect the front end.

I looked at all of the sex offenders in the area, and there were definitely two that stood out to me becuase they were violent offendors. I checked their names through facebook and didn't turn anything up. I will check a few other resources in a bit if I have time. Also I have access to Lafayette Parish Clerk of court website, if anyone has anything they wold like to run through there just let me know. I can easily find out who owns what houses, civil, criminal etc.

Hope LE has made local trash collection companies aware of the make and model of her bike. I'm not at all familiar with this area, are there many lakes, rivers, waterways?

This is BW instagram feed, there's a pic of MS on there adn also a pic of him that doesn't look as innocent as all the others I've seen. IMO
http://statigr.am/bwil9891
his last photo was Saturday afternoon.

Just drove her route in the dark. It passes RIGHT by the fair where lots of carnival individuals are feet away from the road on the other side of a fence. Don't know when they got there but I'm curious to know if all of them have been questioned if they saw anything.

Dropped off some things for the volunteers at the HQ and the mosquitoes were simply feasting on everyone. Terrible lightning right now, too.

Mickey's close friend, Ashley, is an incredibly strong woman. She fielded my questions without breaking a bit and provided local contact info for the volunteer coordinator. I'll give that person a call tomorrow and see if I can share her contact info with others who are trying to work with businesses and organizations.

I wish I could do so much more.

Hi everyone.
I'm a long-time WS lurker but had to join to discuss Mickey's disappearance. It just hits too close to home. I teach at UL-Lafayette, where Mickey is a student (she isn't a student I've had in class). I commute from about an hour away but love Lafayette and often run in the areas around campus after I finish teaching for the day.

I have gone running down by Cajundome Blvd a few times. This is near where Mickey's route may have taken her. The area and most of the areas around campus are pretty populated and safe, with no ravines, drop-offs, (Lafayette is flat) or wooded areas that I can think of.

I noticed no one has mentioned that there is a serial killer who has killed either 8 or 9 women in Jennings, Louisiana, which isn't that far away from Lafayette (maybe a 40 minute ride). There's a thread about these murders on WS (not sure how to link it yet). There also have been a few women who have gone missing in the past decade in Mansfield, Louisiana and the areas surrounding Shreveport- many of these women have threads under the missing section on WS but not one thread about the area's missing women all together. I think (from Googling) that many people believe these disappearances are connected to the I-45 serial killer(s) and/or serial killers operating in Texas as well.
There are too many missing/dead (unsolved murders) of women in Louisiana.

I hope and pray this is not the case, but I am worried about this girl being a serial killer's victim.....if you check WS or google, there are too many missing women in Louisiana. Having lived through the time when Derek Todd Lee and Sean Vincent Gillis (the Baton Rouge serial killers) were very active in the early 2000s, this is scaring me so badly....for all women in Louisiana but especially for Mickey. I just worry that sometimes authorities don't realize there's a pattern or serial killer until it's been far too late. It's also scary as a woman who works in Lafayette and drives and runs alone a lot.

I looked at all of the sex offenders in the area, and there were definitely two that stood out to me becuase they were violent offendors. I checked their names through facebook and didn't turn anything up. I will check a few other resources in a bit if I have time. Also I have access to Lafayette Parish Clerk of court website, if anyone has anything they wold like to run through there just let me know. I can easily find out who owns what houses, civil, criminal etc.

Hey that's a great resource you have, thank you!

Do we know anything about the people who were at the friends house that night?

also, this is a post from her FB event page --- someone posted that they saw a girl who fit her description:

"Well since I am back in Mississippi and the police didn't write a report, I will relay what I saw Saturday morning. I called in because me and my boyfriend saw a short girl with curly bright blonde hair pulled up in a bun and large sunglasses walking down Saint Joseph St. at 10:50am. We thought it was strange since she was walking towards UL and the old hospital with only a small brown sack on h...er back and grey shoes, with a brightly colored shirt. She had on headphones so we just assumed she was a neighbor, but if anyone thinks this sounds like the missing girl, Mickey, then pass it on. I am sorry to say that I didn't think of getting a better description since she was just walking on the side of the road but that is what we saw"

A few of the images/pictures make me uneasy....plus the pics of Mickey give me the feeling he could have been enamoured with her.

Here is the link to a YouTube video call to action, by Mickey's friend BW.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szhmJ29iTE&sns=em"]Mickey Shunick: Power of Social Media - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member