LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to leave work, but someone should ask about the text message Brettly said she recieved, and whether or not that's true.

2:25
Comment From john
where will the majority of the volunteer searchers begin tomorrow?

2:25
Comment From Jim
will the volunteer search parties be allowed into the basin? Sherburne? Army corps of engineers land?

2:26
AmandaMcElfresh: The searches will start at Blackham Coliseum at 8 a.m. I haven't heard of which areas they will be looking at. I think that is part of today's break and re-grouping.

GMA has gone the way of Huff PO and NG in these cases...they always seem to add a detail no one else has...:( It is like a talk show, not a news show.

The resumption of volunteer searches is kind of discouraging, in a way. Shows, to me anyway, that LE is NOT closer.
ITA w/ you about GMA, 100%.

My understanding is that it's not at all uncommon to stop organized volunteer searches while law enforcement collects itself. When you have this many agencies lending hands, you want to make sure you're organized and not spinning your wheels. With the thousands of tips they reportedly had rolling in, they may have needed some time to roll through those to get a clear direction. Also, TES may have wanted to do some searching sans volunteers as well. You never know ...

2:27
Comment From SuzieSmith
Were you able to observe the scene yourselves?
AmandaMcElfresh: Suzie: The scene at Whiskey Bay? Yes, I was there on Sunday.

Comment From Megsy
Are there any additional photos of the Z71 that the police can release to help identify it?
2:28
AmandaMcElfresh: Megsy: No other photos of the Z71 are available. I think the ones that have been released are the only ones the police have.

Comment From Troy
If I saw a white truck today, who should I call?
2:29
AmandaMcElfresh: Troy: Call the tips line at 337-291-8633. Police are asking people to think about the circumstances behind the truck, why they think it is suspicious.

2:23
Comment From Lauren
Any reason why LE only took 24 hours to search Whiskey Bay? Did they find something that led them to believe Mickey wasn't there? Seems awfully soon to stop searching there.

2:24
AmandaMcElfresh: Lauren: The police said they didn't find anything else significant there besides the bike. The timeframe seems short but there were a LOT of police out there very quickly, so you had several people searching.

JMO only...
If I was LE, I would not rule out that she could have been put in the water as well near the bike area. If the water is moving, the current could have taken her downstream a long ways. If the water is still, she could have been put further out in the water. I am not sure if LE is considering using divers or not, and not sure how hard it would be to do that in that area, but I do know that even large cars are sometimes hidden for years relatively close to shore, and nobody knew they were there.

In all seriousness, I've gotten more facts about some US news from the BBC than from any US news outlet.

+1 on that. And the Aussie papers, as well.

Not to mention the glaring lack of slant from some of those news orgs abroad.

Comment From Kelley
when will there be another media briefing?
2:30
AmandaMcElfresh: Kelley: Not sure. They are only doing the media briefings when there is significant new information to release.

Comment From Troy
If I saw a white truck today, who should I call?

AmandaMcElfresh:
Troy: Call the tips line at 337-291-8633. Police are asking people to think about the circumstances behind the truck, why they think it is suspicious.

Comment From Kelley
when will there be another media briefing?

AmandaMcElfresh:
Kelley: Not sure. They are only doing the media briefings when there is significant new information to release.

i also asked about the text. we'll see when that comes up

JMO only...
If I was LE, I would not rule out that she could have been put in the water as well near the bike area. If the water is moving, the current could have taken her downstream a long ways. If the water is still, she could have been put further out in the water. I am not sure if LE is considering using divers or not, and not sure how hard it would be to do that in that area, but I do know that even large cars are sometimes hidden for years relatively close to shore, and nobody knew they were there.

They have and used sonar.

JMO only...

IIRC they said that they dredged the bottom and sonar equipment was used and nothing was found.

Comment From Shane
Was the Missing Poster at whiskey bay that we all saw on tv put there by the camera crew or was it there when LE arrived
2:31
AmandaMcElfresh: Shane: It was definitely there when LE got there. It had the tape the volunteers are using and definitely looked like it had been there a few days.

Megsy - great question about pictures of the Z-71 type truck.

Notice how AM answers you. She says the 'ones' released are the only 'ones' LE have. Now is she lumping all the pictures together even though you only asked about pictures of the Z-71? Or are there two pictures of the Z-71 that have already been released?

f word, f word, f word. fun, fun, fun!!!

I also asked if there were any distinct features on the white Z71 that we should be looking for.

2:31
Comment From Jim
was the bike found at the boat launch just south of I-10 and west of the exit, at the pilot channel?
2:32
AmandaMcElfresh: Jim: It was off of Exit 127, eastbound and it was directly under the Basin Bridge, in the water.

Comment From Guest
Any possibility that this case is linked to the girl that went missing two days after Mickey in Picayune, MS?
AmandaMcElfresh: We're going to try to get a better look of the exact area soon.

2:33
AmandaMcElfresh: I've heard about the Picayne, Miss. case but haven't had a lot of time to look into it. Police have said they don't think Mickey's case is tied to any others but I'm sure they will keep looking at new cases for possible connections. Can't 100 percent rule anything out yet.

+1 on that. And the Aussie papers, as well.

Not to mention the glaring lack of slant from some of those news orgs abroad.

Precisely. It's like US news was before every outlet was owned by the same 5 or 6 media conglomerates.

Very little journalistic integrity to be had hereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500