LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering the same thing, about if she had bike trouble and had to stop. I didn't remember reading about checking her tires before she left; that does seem like a slightly odd thing to do. The bike is what has been nagging at me all along. I can't really imagine someone jumping out at her while she was riding (and she was probably going rather quickly, as it was the dead of night and I imagine she was anxious to get home). Nor can I imagine a drunk driver hitting her and taking the time to pick up the bike. It's a possibility, of course, just doesn't seem likely.

I just posted the link to the post about the checking of the tires... but here is a direct link to his interview that it came from. I find it odd as well.
http://kpel965.com/mickey-shunick-the-search-continues-in-lafayette/

IIRC, he also mentioned it last night on JVM. Also, he said that Mickey was feeling nauseous from partying too much the night before. My immediate thoughts were, if she was nauseous would she eat? Taco Bell? And then I thought perhaps if she ate, she wasn't feeling well and stopped on her way home.

I'll locate the JVM transcripts, if they're available and post them.

If she were nauseous from partying too hard the night before and then got on her bike to head home after eating taco bell, I don't think it would be far fetched to think she may have felt the need to vomit. Perhaps, she stopped and did have to - that would have made her even more vulnerable than she already was.

I just can't believe they didn't have a "text me when you get home" system in place. I'm that way with anyone, family, friends, or whoever. Especially late at night. The whole situation is just baffling to me.

In light of wilkie3's post about the green van this is concerning!! Also, the concept of a van being able to hide the bike also comes to mind. This should be reported!! JMO!

A comment on the page:
Old G.M.C teal green lug rack and brown shades. Dont know what happened after I left but at least they got his info. Old white man 55yrs with grey mustache. Was definitely casing my neighborhood and slidell manor behind mall.

A comment on the page:
Old G.M.C teal green lug rack and brown shades. Dont know what happened after I left but at least they got his info. Old white man 55yrs with grey mustache. Was definitely casing my neighborhood and slidell manor behind mall.

This guy was brought up in the Holly Bobo case. A Private Investigator (Bill Warner) believes he is connected to some other cases as well as Holly's.

He would fit the description of the 55 yr old grey mustache. I believe this guy was in Jackson County, TN (??) at some point but I'm not sure.

http://pibillwarner.wordpress.com/2...r-big-jim-gunterman-hey-ashlee-what-the-hell/

jimmy-3.jpg

Does anyone have a flyer they could post or send please?

If she were nauseous from partying too hard the night before and then got on her bike to head home after eating taco bell, I don't think it would be far fetched to think she may have felt the need to vomit. Perhaps, she stopped and did have to - that would have made her even more vulnerable than she already was.

I just can't believe they didn't have a "text me when you get home" system in place. I'm that way with anyone, family, friends, or whoever. Especially late at night. The whole situation is just baffling to me.

It's really baffling to me too. It doesn't seem like the usual "predator strikes" story. I don't understand how no one saw anything. Like I've said before, masses of people are leaving bars and clubs between 1:00 and 2:00 on Friday and Saturday nights in Lafayette. It's so strange that no one has come forward and said "Yes, I was driving home and saw a blonde on a bike." I know that one of the proposed routes takes her through a relatively quiet area but still, it does seem like SOMEONE would have been out and about.

And as for the "text when you make it back" thing--almost everyone I know has a system like that. I haven't read all the transcripts so correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think BW made any mention of trying to contact her again that night.

The comment about Mickey checking her tires sounds like too much information.

Can you explain what you mean? I agree actually, just interested to hear your thoughts. I hate to keep picking on BW, but Miss Marple taught me to always suspect the last person who saw the victim alive

A comment on the page:

How long ago was this? Would like to alert my daughter and granddaughter. Thanks

It's really baffling to me too. It doesn't seem like the usual "predator strikes" story. I don't understand how no one saw anything. Like I've said before, masses of people are leaving bars and clubs between 1:00 and 2:00 on Friday and Saturday nights in Lafayette. It's so strange that no one has come forward and said "Yes, I was driving home and saw a blonde on a bike." I know that one of the proposed routes takes her through a relatively quiet area but still, it does seem like SOMEONE would have been out and about.

And as for the "text when you make it back" thing--almost everyone I know has a system like that. I haven't read all the transcripts so correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think BW made any mention of trying to contact her again that night.
in that interview I just posted he also said that when they were at his house after the concert friends called to check on them.

I would think he would call to check that she made it back safe, right?

furthermore it has also been reported that her phone was off early saturday..

I am sure LE has checked the taco bell cameras (and his trash for wrappers) to verify his story right?

not accusing the guy... but he WAS the last one to see her and is thus "ground zero" for the investigation.

Can you explain what you mean? I agree actually, just interested to hear your thoughts. I hate to keep picking on BW, but Miss Marple taught me to always suspect the last person who saw the victim alive

I may just be an innocent statement and something that bikers are more conscious of doing, but also sounds as if it may be said to prove she actually left (don't know??). If I disappeared while in my car, I don't think anyone would comment that I checked my tires, gas, etc.

a van grab would make sense... because if a perp just grabbed her the bike would have been found by now I would think

also

is it at all possible that she had bike trouble on the way home like a flat tire or something? It only takes one nail or something sharp to do the trick

also further interesting that her friend mentioned she "checked her tires" before she left (does anyone recall that? It is in the last thread)

why all the detail with checking the tires? Did she have concerns with her tires??? I bike a lot and it is not something I regularly do before I ride unless it is my road bike which has prissy, sensitive tires that are prone to flats... wondering what type of tires she had? Being a commuter bike and her being an avid cyclist I would think she had commuter tires vs road bike tires... but that is just me thinking out loud....

That's a great point, nurse. I've always been in the habit of checking my tires before I go anywhere, just instinctively. But it's a quick thing, I just feel the tires before I get on the bike.

If she did have a flat and had a spare tube then she might have changed it on the side of the road/path. If she didn't have a spare then I think she would have called someone to pick her up.

I also think a wreck is a possibility too. I know from experience that there are hazards in the road you could see in the daytime but aren't visible at night. It's easier to wreck at night.

my take on "too much information" is that it is embellishment and seen frequently in lies.

According to her friend in that interview they had just ridden on bikes from the concert... so why check the tires if you just rode your bike? And if you were having tire problems and maybe were concerned about them why not ask your friend with a car to drive you home/throw your bike in the car?

I always carry a flat kit when I bike but if it were 2am and I was worried about my tires there is no way I would ride 5 miles worrying about it... I would just ask my friend for a ride.

:moo:

Not only is there no reports of him attempting to contact her that night, there also are no reports of him attempting to contact her the next morning to make sure she had made it home. Odd.

my take on "too much information" is that it is embellishment and seen frequently in lies.

According to her friend in that interview they had just ridden on bikes from the concert... so why check the tires if you just rode your bike?

Yep, agreed. I know that the police have searched BW's car and house and he's given them access to his cell phone and laptop though, so my thoughts on him are pretty torn. On one hand he's been a close friend of hers for 3/4 years. On the other, he was the last person to see her, and his FB video post struck me as a little "hinky" as you folks say.

he also said in the interview that he took "her" to get food and that "she" ate... not "we"

that also stuck out at me for some reason (don't ask me why it is just one of those gut feelings that is indescribable)

I am a Private Investigator in Lafayette, La and working on this case independently and would like to point a few things out.

While there are many good theories in this thread, it is important to focus on the facts and only the facts to form theories as well as look at the most simple explanations for her disappearance.

Scenario 1: Hit and run. While possible, highly unlikely. The sound of a wreck is unmistakable and loud. Also, someone who accidentally hits someone is more likely to speed off rather than further incriminate themselves by getting out, risk being seen, hide a person and a bike and leave more evidence. So possible, but unlikely

Scenario 2: Abducted by stranger. First, this doesnt happen all that often around here and its normally with children. Most acts of random violence are typically robberies. So its quite possible someone saw her alone and thought to steal her bag and bike. However this is where it becomes highly illogical. Someone just commiting a robbery, again like a hit and run, would not want to further incriminate themselves. These crimes are usually quick. Knocked off bike, stole bag, sped off. Simple. Even if a fight ensued and god forbid she died, the person would most likely get away as fast as possible. There would be evidence of a struggle somewhere and i think she or her belongings would be found by now. Taking a person AND a bike withought leaving a trace is just too difficult and too much trouble for some random crime.

This leaves us with the most likeliest of scenarios. She stopped to visit someone or someone she knew saw her and offered her a ride home. This is where something went wrong and whatever happened happened. This would account for why theres no one who saw or heard anything, why nothing of hers has been found, and the general lack of evidence. This is the most likely situation and is the angle that should be focused on.

Yep, agreed. I know that the police have searched BW's car and house and he's given them access to his cell phone and laptop though, so my thoughts on him are pretty torn. On one hand he's been a close friend of hers for 3/4 years. On the other, he was the last person to see her, and his FB video post struck me as a little "hinky" as you folks say.

bbm: I hear ya...

My thoughts are torn as well.

(past cases make me jaded... Josh Powell let them search his house and car, etc... spoke to the media and the whole nine yards)

Personally, I think this was a stranger abduction. Just a gut feeling... But, I have been racking my brain trying to think of anything that may help. I am not familiar with the area, but I HAVE lived in several college towns. One thing I did notice was that on Friday and Saturday nights, the kids many, many ways to get home safely. There were drunk taxis (a student run organization that picked up partiers free of charge), late-running buses, pay taxis, and then just lots of your friends/acquaintances out and about that you could catch a ride with. Is this the case in Lafayette? If Mickey were feeling ill/tired/had bike trouble, could she have utilized other methods of travel. Grabbed a ride with a by-chance passing acquaintance or hailed a passing taxi? I hope LE is looking at all avenues, as well as searching... Jmo.

I wish I were closer so that I could participate in the searches. I have posted to my FB, and I am praying/sending positive energy to Mickey, her friends, family and LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Core.B