Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.21.17 - Day 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't agree more. His narcissism shone brightly today. He tried to paint MM in a bad light, and his attempt to shame her, embarrass her, and bully her was all for his own personal satisfaction. His cross did nothing for his defense, but he couldn't resist, he had to torment her. I think it was more damaging to him to bring up his additional gun acquisitions, as well.

Keep burying yourself, DM.

DM "apologized" for slapping MM's *advertiser censored*, yet goes on to bully her about her spelling. IMO it's bad news (for DM) when the judge admonishes the defendant for bullying the witness.

The Crown has brought some things into evidence: the van, CN working at a day camp, pic of the tarp with item wrapped inside, video of dog playing with purple slippers, etc but then nothing more is said about these things. There are supposedly only a couple of Crown witnesses left and I doubt it is about forensics if the testimony is not expected to take much time (per a tweet posted earlier and posted on this thread). What's the point of bringing all this stuff into evidence and then just leaving things hanging... sort of like the garden hose in the TB trial? Is there that much still under publication ban considering we're almost done the Crown's part of the 2nd trial for these two guys?

IMO it seems like the Crown is putting these tidbits out in hopes of the jury using assumptions and putting together their own timeline or puzzle. Maybe the pieces don't actually fit, but they could if you look at them in a certain way. DM could have used the van, DM's mattress could have held evidence, those may be LB's slippers. Otherwise, I have no idea why the evidence is being mentioned.

I've been reading this thread from the beginning of the trial because I was also a long time standing friend of LB and spoke to her up until the end of maybe mid Feb of 12'. I noticed in the records in 11' my old phone number and have been sickened from day 1 of DM.

I knew very little of him as I was just friends with her and knew of her troubles and what not but my gut has been pointing to him from day1 since TB trial of her disappearance and the phone records from SL.

Theres a couple things I noticed in Google Doc timeline sheet where theres been clues that these idiots have tried to keep things out of text and into calls and f2f conversations. They've been super discrete on things and the slang about "rolling spliffs" thats also been a smoking gun, yet alone that tarp has sickened anyone looking.

Justice for Laura.

Welcome deezep. :loveyou:
Pleased you are posting.
Having known Laura and her problems, it would be be horrid for you, hearing about these creeps.

Could it be as simple as AM is just saying "hey Dell, LB going missing looks like something you'd do, eh?" Aka. AM thinks/knows that DM wanted LB to leave him alone so her going missing looks like something DM may have had a hand in.

We had that order wrong - it was DM that said “What you’d do?!” in response to AM sending the news article. It looks like an attempt at humour/banter, and as others have theorized DM seems to make typing mistakes at critical moments when he is under some stress. I can’t believe AM’s “You told me the only way to make her *advertiser censored*” was not expanded on in court yesterday. In this context it sounds so much like he could have meant choking and/or rough sex, and that could be so relevant. You have to think AM already gave some benign answer in an interview, and that made the question not worth asking.

IMO it seems like the Crown is putting these tidbits out in hopes of the jury using assumptions and putting together their own timeline or puzzle. Maybe the pieces don't actually fit, but they could if you look at them in a certain way. DM could have used the van, DM's mattress could have held evidence, those may be LB's slippers. Otherwise, I have no idea why the evidence is being mentioned.

The dog with slippers video serves to make Smich sound like even more of a douche, so I suppose that helps something. The point was made previously that this stuff might be being put in as a procedural matter so the defendants can be asked about these elements if they later testify. The Crown can’t introduce new evidence in cross examination unrelated to the direct examination I don’t think, so this puts it on the record an makes it fair game perhaps?

And is the "I remember" tattoo LB?

I'm going to have to say no on that one. I know we can't really trust what AM says, but from the sounds of it LB was just some girl that he wanted to bang. Not sure that he would dedicate half his arm to someone he barely knew.

The dog with slippers video serves to make Smich sound like even more of a douche, so I suppose that helps something. The point was made previously that this stuff might be being put in as a procedural matter so the defendants can be asked about these elements if they later testify. The Crown can’t introduce new evidence in cross examination unrelated to the direct examination I don’t think, so this puts it on the record an makes it fair game perhaps?

I think you got it right there. The dog video only shows how excited and amused Smich's sounds whilst describing the terrible injury to that poor dog. Also that even with such a horrible injury, they delayed taking it to a vet for half a day because it was cheaper.

I think you got it right there. The dog video only shows how excited and amused Smich's sounds whilst describing the terrible injury to that poor dog. Also that even with such a horrible injury, they delayed taking it to a vet for half a day because it was cheaper.

That, and going on about the “fockin pus” makes him sound like a total degenerate loser.

That, and going on about the “fockin pus” makes him sound like a total degenerate loser.
If that was the reason for the video I would think MS lawyer would have fought to keep it out since it is irrelevant to this case and casts him in a bad light.

If somebody comes in and identifies those as Laura’s slippers that would be an emotionally devastating end for the Crown though. Innocent victim and innocent dog thrown together so callously and cavalierly. Small thing, big impact.

If that was the reason for the video I would think MS lawyer would have fought to keep it out since it is irrelevant to this case and casts him in a bad light.

Yeah, I don’t think that would be the formal reason for entering that evidence, but it does serve that purpose anyway.

I do think that was the reason for the person talking about CN bus routine was called, just to get that out there in case DM says he was picking up CN that night

Well he didn't. Although we didn't actually find out it was Smich speaking until yesterday. But thats the way this case goes, a bunch of fragments that tell a story. I'm sure that is why the crown is keeping their case short, the more information you present, the more your fragments are diluted.

And is the "I remember" tattoo LB?

I just looked at that tattoo again. The only person who can definitively tell you it it LB is AM of course, but it's pretty clear that it is. Life has a way of weaving in and out of experiences and that tattoo will make sure AM never forgets his connection to LB.

As to why CN's camp friend was put on the stand...

I think the purpose of putting her up there was to explain the lack of contact between CN and DM at that period of time. The crown is pushing the "love triangle" motive. Millard will likely point to the breakup text and the fact that there is little or no communication between him and CN. The crown is likely putting it out there that the radio silence was for other reasons.

Good morning, everyone. I am available to post the tweets and live blog for most of the day today. I will have to step away briefly, but that may fall on the lunch break anyway - I will let you know. I hope everyone is having a good day so far. As always, Justice for Laura.

We've struggled on here with what "What you'd do?!" means. Perhaps AM isn't sure what DM meant when he texted that and his thought on the matter is just speculation.

Looking through the timeline again, this time I noticed a previous instance of DM using the 'd syntax.
May 2:24pm DM to AM: If you could keep me updated on where Laura goes out to, that’d be of use to me.” There isn’t any question “that’d” means “that would.”
Then July 17 2:23pm DM to AM: “what you’d do?!” I would argue the same syntax applies, making the meaning “what would you do?!”
The rest of the July 17 text exchange could be interpreted as you suggest - that AM just blasted off a flippant reply.

I really wish the Crown has asked about this text exchange - I see someone mentioned this was likely because in interviews AM likely blew it off and his response wouldn't (would not) add much to the proceeds. I'm sure that is why. Still...as a juror I'd like to know more from AM. Appears they are joking about LB asking to be hurt during sex. Oh well, probably won't matter much since DM is going down for M1 with no further debate.

I just looked at that tattoo again. The only person who can definitively tell you it it LB is AM of course, but it's pretty clear that it is. Life has a way of weaving in and out of experiences and that tattoo will make sure AM never forgets his connection to LB.

But why would he get a tattoo of someone he does not seem to care one iota about? Didn't even have a convo with his best buddy when she went missing.
IMO the tattoo is not Laura and has zero to do with her.

Does anyone have a working Live Blog link for today? I believe I'm on yesterday's link right now - is it the same one?

As to why CN's camp friend was put on the stand...

I think the purpose of putting her up there was to explain the lack of contact between CN and DM at that period of time. The crown is pushing the "love triangle" motive. Millard will likely point to the breakup text and the fact that there is little or no communication between him and CN. The crown is likely putting it out there that the radio silence was for other reasons.

MM also said she was at the Canada Day party. and used the Ipad lots. I would bet my last dollar CN knew where the Ipad came from as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member