Legal Questions for Our VERIFIED Lawyers #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does Rule 3.202 Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure say? And how is it applied to this case?
Finnell wrote that this "rule does not apply since the State did not timely file notice of intent to seek the death penalty or having filed such a notice withdrew the notice and filed a second notice after the expiration of the 45 day time period."

3. Is it typical to have penalty phase testimony from correctional staff?
3. No not really. But I strongly doubt all the people on the list will actually be called to testify.
I have a slightly differently view. Correctional staff are frequently called to testify about how the defendant has adjusted to incarceration, is not getting in fights, has not attempted to escape and is not an escape risk, and is generally a model prisoner. A frequent theme in penalty phase arguments is that society can be adequately protected from harm by life imprisonment and there is no need to impose the death penalty.

However, I agree that there is no way that everyone on the list will be called to testify.

Katprint
Always only my own opinions

I have a slightly differently view. Correctional staff are frequently called to testify about how the defendant has adjusted to incarceration, is not getting in fights, has not attempted to escape and is not an escape risk, and is generally a model prisoner. A frequent theme in penalty phase arguments is that society can be adequately protected from harm by life imprisonment and there is no need to impose the death penalty.

However, I agree that there is no way that everyone on the list will be called to testify.

Katprint
Always only my own opinions

Ahhhhhh.... Thank you Katprint. The wee light bulb over my head is glowing!

My question relates to the touch DNA testing that was supposed to be back a few days ago, but we've heard nothing about it. I've heard people say that if it came back any of the A's DNA, it wouldn't be a big deal or surprise. So it sounds like they wouldn't have to file anything unless it was someone other than an A's DNA on the shorts? Could they keep the results to themselves if it's just another A DNA to use at trial? Could they say Casey didn't do it because mom or pop or Lee's DNA is on Caylee's shorts, so one of them did it? Would this be considered trial by ambush if they just go after another family member? I'm just thinking they don't have a whole lot except three family members to try to pin it on other than Casey at this point.

http://www.wesh.com/pdf/26557921/detail.html

Hi - on page 13 of Motion for approval of investigative hours for the penalty phase - the investigator billed for "Travel to Kodak to conduct interview and obtain personal employment records" and "Interview witness at Kodack and obtain records", on 12/12/10
If the defense had already obtained this information for trial, is it usual for the defense to do it again for the penalty phase and the investigator get paid just because it's for the penalty phase?
And is there a chance that they never did this leg work for the trial and are now using the investigator to obtain this for trial and penalty phase but saying it's for the penalty phase?
Very cynical of me, I know but the defense hasn't done most of what they should have already done by now.

What is the likelihood of Dominic Casey being questioned at trial? He is on the SA's witness list, has most likely had an investigative interview/deposition, but the defense seems to have no interest in questioning him or requesting a transcript. I personally believe that is because the DT knows exactly what Dominic has to say and they don't want anyone else to hear it. Aside from that, if the defense never hears what Dominic will testify to, can the State still present him as a witness?

What does Rule 3.202 Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure say? And how is it applied to this case?
Finnell wrote that this "rule does not apply since the State did not timely file notice of intent to seek the death penalty or having filed such a notice withdrew the notice and filed a second notice after the expiration of the 45 day time period."

I assume she's talking about the part of the rule that has to do with how long the defendant has to notify the state of its mental mitigation experts. The rule might not apply here, because the state didn't file its notice of intent to seek the death penalty within the time period that would trigger the rule. BUT IMO if HHJP has ordered his own time limits, who cares about the default time limits provided in the rule?

My question relates to the touch DNA testing that was supposed to be back a few days ago, but we've heard nothing about it. I've heard people say that if it came back any of the A's DNA, it wouldn't be a big deal or surprise. So it sounds like they wouldn't have to file anything unless it was someone other than an A's DNA on the shorts? Could they keep the results to themselves if it's just another A DNA to use at trial? Could they say Casey didn't do it because mom or pop or Lee's DNA is on Caylee's shorts, so one of them did it? Would this be considered trial by ambush if they just go after another family member? I'm just thinking they don't have a whole lot except three family members to try to pin it on other than Casey at this point.

The way I read the discovery rule, the defense (in a case like this one, in which the defense has opted in to reciprocal discovery) would have to disclose scientific test results on evidence regardless of whether they intended to use those results at trial. Certainly, they could not use at trial any results they didn't disclose.

http://www.wesh.com/pdf/26557921/detail.html

Hi - on page 13 of Motion for approval of investigative hours for the penalty phase - the investigator billed for "Travel to Kodak to conduct interview and obtain personal employment records" and "Interview witness at Kodack and obtain records", on 12/12/10
If the defense had already obtained this information for trial, is it usual for the defense to do it again for the penalty phase and the investigator get paid just because it's for the penalty phase?
And is there a chance that they never did this leg work for the trial and are now using the investigator to obtain this for trial and penalty phase but saying it's for the penalty phase?
Very cynical of me, I know but the defense hasn't done most of what they should have already done by now.

No, they couldn't get paid for duplicate work, assuming someone at the JAC notices that it's duplicate work.

I would not be surprised if they hadn't done this "leg work" until now, but I don't see why it matters if they label it as "guilt phase" work or "penalty phase" work.

On the other hand, I'm sure it is penalty phase work, because how could it be relevant to the guilt phase?

What is the likelihood of Dominic Casey being questioned at trial? He is on the SA's witness list, has most likely had an investigative interview/deposition, but the defense seems to have no interest in questioning him or requesting a transcript. I personally believe that is because the DT knows exactly what Dominic has to say and they don't want anyone else to hear it. Aside from that, if the defense never hears what Dominic will testify to, can the State still present him as a witness?

I don't know if DC has anything relevant to say. The SA won't put him on the stand to say, "This psychic lady told me to look for Caylee on Suburban but I didn't find her."

You would THINK the defense would want to put him on the stand to say, "This psychic lady told me to look for Caylee on Suburban, and it was totally dry at the time so it was easy to look, and I looked and took a video and was in the 'exact spot' she was later found but she wasn't there." But as you say the defense seems to have no interest in calling him as a witness. :waitasec: There are a couple of possible reasons for this. Maybe they think he would say there was lots of water. Maybe they think he will say he didn't look in the exact spot. Also, attorneys aren't permitted to put a witness on the stand knowing that the witness is committing perjury. Maybe they are personally aware that some aspect of what he told LE is false?

The SA has listed DC as a witness, and the defense is free to take his deposition if they want to know more about his testimony. There is nothing to prevent the SA from putting DC on the stand if he has something relevant to say.

I don't know if DC has anything relevant to say. The SA won't put him on the stand to say, "This psychic lady told me to look for Caylee on Suburban but I didn't find her."

But what if the state puts him on the stand and asks if CINDY told him to look there??

At what point, if any, can or will HHJP say "Enough" to the defense's requests for additional investigative hours? At this point they have spent thousands of dollars hunting snipe, and apparently now want more. Is HHJP allowed to say "No more."? TIA!

Can this trial be delayed again? I do not think that it will be delayed, but technically, can it be delayed?

Is there a set amount of delays that a case can have, and if there is, how many does Casey have left?

But what if the state puts him on the stand and asks if CINDY told him to look there??

They won't ask him that unless they know the answer ;) , and I don't think they want to make it look like only CINDY knew where Caylee was dumped--unless they can connect the "daisy chain" back to Casey.

At what point, if any, can or will HHJP say "Enough" to the defense's requests for additional investigative hours? At this point they have spent thousands of dollars hunting snipe, and apparently now want more. Is HHJP allowed to say "No more."? TIA!

Yes, but to avoid this being an issue on appeal he will make sure it is clear that the defense had sufficient opportunity to conduct an appropriate investigation.

Can this trial be delayed again? I do not think that it will be delayed, but technically, can it be delayed?

Is there a set amount of delays that a case can have, and if there is, how many does Casey have left?

Oh, in my experience a trial can always be delayed one more time. :)

Along those same lines...now that the defendant is indigent, and Fla taxpayers are paying for her defense...it's my understanding, although probably wrong, that since both sides agreed to reciprocal discovery...it appears that the state has turned over ALL discovery...inculpatory (word??) or exculpatory.
Shouldn't the defense be required to turn over the "touch DNA" test results...even if they came back with nothing...and even if they don't plan on using it trial??
And...do those results become "public" just due to the fact the public directly paid for them - I know this is a "duh" question -probably not, right?

Thanks...I'm sure these are "dum-dum" questions...LOL

I posted a thread about this, but this might get results first! This is in today's news thread. "State's Motion for Petition of Writ of Habeas Corpus Ad Testificadum " and then an Order on same.

WHAT????

Along those same lines...now that the defendant is indigent, and Fla taxpayers are paying for her defense...it's my understanding, although probably wrong, that since both sides agreed to reciprocal discovery...it appears that the state has turned over ALL discovery...inculpatory (word??) or exculpatory.
Shouldn't the defense be required to turn over the "touch DNA" test results...even if they came back with nothing...and even if they don't plan on using it trial??
And...do those results become "public" just due to the fact the public directly paid for them - I know this is a "duh" question -probably not, right?

Thanks...I'm sure these are "dum-dum" questions...LOL

My reading of the discovery rule suggests that, because the defense has opted in to reciprocal discovery, they would have to turn over the test results regardless of whether they plan to use the results at trial. This has nothing to do with the indigency issue, however. And I would be interested to know R Hornsby's interpretation of the rule, as he has to live with it every day and I don't. :)

The findings, if turned over to the state, would become public records due to the fact that they were in possession of the state. Again, however, this has nothing to do with who paid for them. Also, someone would have to make an appropriate request for those records in order to get them released. It could be that the public records requests made by the media thus far ask for all discovery turned over TO the defense rather than FROM the defense, in which case these results might not be released to the public unless and until someone submits a broader public records request.

I posted a thread about this, but this might get results first! This is in today's news thread. "State's Motion for Petition of Writ of Habeas Corpus Ad Testificadum " and then an Order on same.

WHAT????

I'm pretty sure someone has figured this out by now, but this is just the SA making sure that the prisoner witness(es) will be transported when needed for trial (or pretrial hearings).

If someone from Canada, Mexico or any other country is living here in the US legally and full time, can they be called for jury duty? Is there anything in the requirements (generally) for a juror be be a citizen? I can see not having someone serve who does not speak or understand English well, but other than that, see no reason for them not to serve. Do you think either side in a trial (criminal or civil) would rather not have a non citizen on the jury for some reason?

Something someone said on another thread got me thinking about this.

Question: Let's say in a hypothetical murder case there had been out and out action by family members and others associated with those family members to either destroy evidence, manipulate evidence, or to otherwise assist the murderer in covering up their crime.

Are these types of actions (crimes) EVER actualy prosecuted? I mean, other than threatening folks who have done this type of thing with charges of "obstructing justice" and "tampering with evidence" or things of that nature in order to get them to testify for the Prosecution, do any of our expert attorneys know of a single case where someone was prosecuted for this type of crime?

Just curious. Because I seem to remember a case in Delaware where a Tom Capuano (sp?) was convicted of killing his mistress and dumping her body at sea in a large styrofoam cooler. His brother owned the boat, took him out for the dumping of the cooler and saw blood coming from the cooler. And I don't think he was ever prosecuted for that.

ETA: Also, were there to ever be such charges filed, would it be necessary for there to be a conviction of the murder FIRST?

If someone from Canada, Mexico or any other country is living here in the US legally and full time, can they be called for jury duty? Is there anything in the requirements (generally) for a juror be be a citizen? I can see not having someone serve who does not speak or understand English well, but other than that, see no reason for them not to serve. Do you think either side in a trial (criminal or civil) would rather not have a non citizen on the jury for some reason?

Something someone said on another thread got me thinking about this.

No, you have to be a US citizen.

Question: Let's say in a hypothetical murder case there had been out and out action by family members and others associated with those family members to either destroy evidence, manipulate evidence, or to otherwise assist the murderer in covering up their crime.

Are these types of actions (crimes) EVER actualy prosecuted? I mean, other than threatening folks who have done this type of thing with charges of "obstructing justice" and "tampering with evidence" or things of that nature in order to get them to testify for the Prosecution, do any of our expert attorneys know of a single case where someone was prosecuted for this type of crime?

Just curious. Because I seem to remember a case in Delaware where a Tom Capuano (sp?) was convicted of killing his mistress and dumping her body at sea in a large styrofoam cooler. His brother owned the boat, took him out for the dumping of the cooler and saw blood coming from the cooler. And I don't think he was ever prosecuted for that.

ETA: Also, were there to ever be such charges filed, would it be necessary for there to be a conviction of the murder FIRST?

Yes, there are definitely prosecutions for that type of activity. It would not be strictly necessary to prosecute the murder first.

I have been to HHJP's courtroom and it is not that big! With the media coverage that is going to be around when the trial starts the 'fight' for seats is going to be intense. I know seats will have to be 'saved' for some people - including Cindy and George (if he shows up). The media will have second pickings, so to speak, I think. Even with a pool video camera, reporters are still going to be want be in the courtroom during trial. that does not leave a whole lot of seats for spectators.

How do you think it will be handled by the court? Will they go with a lottery system where people submit their names if they want to be there and names are chosen at random? Will that hold for the whole trial or just one day or what?

Personally I think they should hold the trial in the brand new Amway Arena. I am sure it would sell out and it just might recoup the money that State has spent so far :)

I have been to HHJP's courtroom and it is not that big! With the media coverage that is going to be around when the trial starts the 'fight' for seats is going to be intense. I know seats will have to be 'saved' for some people - including Cindy and George (if he shows up). The media will have second pickings, so to speak, I think. Even with a pool video camera, reporters are still going to be want be in the courtroom during trial. that does not leave a whole lot of seats for spectators.

How do you think it will be handled by the court? Will they go with a lottery system where people submit their names if they want to be there and names are chosen at random? Will that hold for the whole trial or just one day or what?

Personally I think they should hold the trial in the brand new Amway Arena. I am sure it would sell out and it just might recoup the money that State has spent so far :)

The arena idea sounds good to me. :) More likely they will do one-day lottery passes. If there's a bigger courtroom available, they'll probably move to that one, as well.

Yes, it's me again. As you can tell, I have been thinking about the trial a lot :)

Georg and Cindy are on both the State's witness list and the Defense's witness list. How is that going to work as to them watching the trial. I am assuming both sides will want to keep the witnesses out of the courtroom until after they testify. Since George and Cindy will be testifying for both, will the defense want them out of the courtroom until they are called by them after the State rests their case? Or will the defense ask them the questions they have for them while they are on the stand when called by the State? Can George and Cindy really be kept out of the courtroom for most of the trial this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BasicallyAnxious