Levels of still rising Mississippi, Ohio rivers at all-time highs

Did they do it all at once, or are there more phases?

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/14557528/corps-of-engineers-to-breach-levee

The first levee at Birds Point has been breached. It happened just after 10 p.m.

It was a quick blast of a series of explosions.

The Birds Point blast was felt at the Wardell, Missouri helicorder. Helicorders are similar to seismographs.

Heartland News is receiving calls from around the Heartland of viewers who felt the blast.

(More at link)

Replay vid up now.

http://www.kfvs12.com/

No it isn't, they posted the pic but the link goes back to the earlier presser video and not the blast vid, sry.

Reporter says about a mile and a half of levee was blown this time.

Okay, here's the thing: Those homes/farms are in the spillway! They chose to live in a designed flood zone, fhs-- so much so, some weren't able to insure. They gambled, they lost. The spillway was designed to preserve communities upstream. It did.

It's a bummer, for sure, but there you have it. mo

I thought that I read that the property is owned by the corps and the farmers lease it?

And yes, if that is the case IMO it is "assumed risk".

OT: We have an area here in my city, that had been a designated flood zone for decades upon decades. Well, during the 90's a new mayor opened it for development, dropped the requirement for flood insurance, a lo and behold, thousands of homes were built-- schools, shopping centers, etc. Since Katrina exposed our weakened levee system, same Mayor imposed mandatory flood insurance to the population living there-- some didn't even know they were completely surrounded by century old levees. Incredible. :furious:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150168846972602.301026.76229602601&comments=1

Photos (click on each to see full size) and comments by those in the area.

That's gut wrenching.

Okay, here's the thing: Those homes/farms are in the spillway! They chose to live in a designed flood zone, fhs-- so much so, some weren't able to insure. They gambled, they lost. The spillway was designed to preserve communities upstream. It did.

It's a bummer, for sure, but there you have it. mo

That's a bit harsh Quiche. I get what your saying but still, those people have lost everything. They made a stupid decision but haven't we all at one time or another?

That's gut wrenching.

That's a bit harsh Quiche. I get what your saying but still, those people have lost everything. They made a stupid decision but haven't we all at one time or another?

I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but these folks knew the risks. It's a horrible tragedy for anyone in the path of this river, but I'm a little defensive about the flippant (even ignorant, as with Tilley) dismissal of the other folks in jeopardy-- specifically, the low income people of Cairo.

The population of Cairo had full expectation to be spared, and the design of the flood system bears this out.

I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but these folks knew the risks. It's a horrible tragedy for anyone in the path of this river, but I'm a little defensive about the flippant (even ignorant, as with Tilley) dismissal of the other folks in jeopardy-- specifically, the low income people of Cairo.

The population of Cairo had full expectation to be spared, and the design of the flood system bears this out.

Sorry, I didn't realize that.

There was more than just Cairo at stake; the move to relieve pressure at Bird's Point Levee also reduces the flooding at Metropolis IL and Paducah Ky, and maybe more.

I was torn when I first pictured all the farmland and livestock in the spillway. I lived in the area during my college years, and the small towns and family farms were a part of my coming-of-age. But I'm beginning to feel that the Corp of Eng did what they had to do - they made a choice between the lesser of two evils.

The operation is proceeding behind schedule due to storms last night. The second blast is occurring now, and the final one will be in a few hours.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds-Point-New-Madrid-Floodway-Joint-Information-Center/120898681323357

St. Louis, Mo., May 3, 2011 – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in St. Louis reported that Wappapello Lake’s pool elevation is cresting today at just over 400.0 feet. That elevation sets a new record, nearly a foot above the previous record of 399.09, set in April 1945. The current water releases of 30,400 cubic feet per second are more than three times the maximum that’s released through the gate structure on the dam. Wappapello Lake is on the St. Francis River about 150 miles south of St. Louis.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/14557528/corps-of-engineers-to-breach-levee

According to the Army Corps of Engineers, the third levee blast that was scheduled for Wednesday at 10 a.m. may be delayed.

At a news conference Tuesday night, Major General Michael Walsh explained they needed to bring in more explosive slurry mix for the 3rd blast.

The 3rd levee breach will take place southeast of Big Oak tree State Park further northeast of Tuesday's blast.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back