Levels of still rising Mississippi, Ohio rivers at all-time highs

It's working so well, they're looking at doing it in other areas, too.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5goxcbTPw1pCwi99_QGLBx5jUH5rg?docId=c2bbb0ca91d84e81a943aef04f1d6bdf

Flood unease builds south along the Mississippi
(AP) – 4 hours ago
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Flood worries that prompted the U.S. government to blast open a Missouri levee to ease pressure on some towns are rippling down the Mississippi River, leading to more evacuations and unease as the Army Corps of Engineers weighs whether to purposely inundate more land with water.
The breach of southeastern Missouri's Birds Point levee was heralded by some Illinois towns along the Ohio River as a needed relief from record flooding, and the man who ordered that action says he may do the same with other Mississippi River spillways as flood prospects mount.

Walsh has made clear he may use other downstream "floodways" — basins surrounded by levees that can be intentionally blown open to divert floodwaters — to try to rein in the trouble.

Among those that could be tapped are the 58-year-old Morganza floodway in central Louisiana and the Bonnet Carre floodway about 30 miles north of New Orleans. The 4-mile-wide Morganza has been pressed into service just once, in 1973. The Bonnet Carre — christened in 1932 — has been opened up nine times since 1937, the most recent in 2008.

Unlike the Missouri levee, these floodways can be opened using gates designed for the purpose, not explosives that unleashed the rush of floodwater into Birds Point that damaged or destroyed as many as 100 homes and washed away crop prospects for this year. Walsh said there are no homes in the Bonnet Carre floodway and only scattered homes and farmland in the Morganza one.

Corps: No blast Wednesday night due to logistical difficulties

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/14557528/corps-of-engineers-to-breach-levee

According to the Army Corps of Engineers, the third levee blast that was scheduled for Wednesday night has been delayed once again.

The Corps had planned a blast Wednesday morning and a rescheduled blast at 8 or 9 p.m. on Wednesday.

"Due to logistical difficulties, the Corps will not breach lower levee section today," the Corps said via their twitter account. "We will provide more info as soon as it is available."

(More at link)

Is this farm land owned by the corps and leased to the farmers with the knowledge that it would be flooded in an emergency? By reading the facebook posts on the corps page, it sure doesn't sound like they expected that it could be flooded on purpose.

Shared Spirit, I am not sure but would love to know. I have heard it told both ways.

Mo. floodwaters could expose graves

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/14566740/mo-floodwaters-could-expose-graves

Because the Army Corps of Engineers opened the levee at Birds Point in Mississippi County , Missouri , Monday evening, Mississippi County Coroner Terry Parker is advising the public that a number of cemeteries and grave sites in Mississippi and New Madrid Counties will be flooded.

This raises the possibility that caskets, burial vaults or skeletal remains may become uncovered and float or be washed along with the current.

Mississippi County along with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, the State Emergency Management Agency, the Missouri Funeral Directors and Embalmers Association and the National Guard, have been coordinating plans to handle the recovery, collection, identification and eventual re-internment of any remains that are disturbed by the water.

(more at link)

Hasn't everybody known since 1937 that this was possible to happen again though?

Corps: No blast Wednesday night due to logistical difficulties

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/14557528/corps-of-engineers-to-breach-levee

According to the Army Corps of Engineers, the third levee blast that was scheduled for Wednesday night has been delayed once again.

The Corps had planned a blast Wednesday morning and a rescheduled blast at 8 or 9 p.m. on Wednesday.

"Due to logistical difficulties, the Corps will not breach lower levee section today," the Corps said via their twitter account. "We will provide more info as soon as it is available." (More at link)

This operation has been fraught with delays. "logistical difficulties" could cover just about anything, and tells the public just about nothing. I suspect something has gone awry. And the Birds Point Facebook page is full of angry, frustrated people:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds-Point-New-Madrid-Floodway-Joint-Information-Center/120898681323357

I'm sure they knew it was a possiblity, but that doesn't make it any easier when it's happening. As a farmer myself, I feel their pain. I don't see how it was avoidable at this point. Here in WV, we are letting our resovoirs flood to keep the water from reaching the Ohio. Marinas are under water. Tourism is being affected. Lots of travel plans for Memorial Day weekend will be ruined. But in the big scheme of things, it's nothing compared to what is happening south of us.

I feel your pain Shared Spirit, I do.

I'm not taking sides hun. I don't understand it all well enough to even try.

I'm just posting the info and trying to wrap my little brain around it myself.

A lot of tragedy out there right now.

Having survived many hurricanes and weeks with no potable water or power I have a pretty good idea of the issues but I have never been flooded out. We have had water come in through the eaves but never right up under the walls.

My heart goes out to the people affected by this.

I have recently (just days ago) discovered I have a friend who I grew up with, two doors down, that lives close to there and is flooded out though. :(

The Mississippi River
and Tributaries Project

Floodways

From Cairo to New Madrid, Mo., the east bank bluffs and the levee as originally built on the west bank left only a narrow channel through which the river could flow at flood stage. To protect communities along the Mississippi and Ohio rivers and to reduce the flood heights to which the controlling levees on the Missouri side would otherwise be subjected, the project provides for a setback levee about 5 miles west of the riverfront levee through this reach. The strip between this setback levee and the levee adjacent to the river forms what is known as the Birds Point-New Madrid Floodway, operated only at extremely high stages. Water enters the floodway through lower levee sections or "fuse plugs" in the old front levee below Cairo and reenters the main river just above New Madrid. The floodway was operated in 1937 and was of material aid in reducing flood heights at and above Cairo.

http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/pao/bro/misstrib.htm

A very informative page. mo

I feel your pain Shared Spirit, I do.

I'm not taking sides hun. I don't understand it all well enough to even try.

I'm just posting the info and trying to wrap my little brain around it myself.

A lot of tragedy out there right now.

Having survived many hurricanes and weeks with no potable water or power I have a pretty good idea of the issues but I have never been flooded out. We have had water come in through the eaves but never right up under the walls.

My heart goes out to the people affected by this.

I have recently (just days ago) discovered I have a friend who I grew up with, two doors down, that lives close to there and is flooded out though. :(

I know you aren't taking sides. I've been reading stories from the people who live there and it's heartbreaking. I think we need to take into account that they are in the middle of a disaster and full of emotion. I don't know how I'd react in their shoes but I'm sure emotion would take over reason at least some of the time!

What is going on here. Blow up a levy flood peoples farms. I know the people are losing everything and they are dealing with more than they deserve. I just think now we got Osama and Al Queda is regrouping we should bring home as many soldiers as we can and put them to work rebuilding all these levies, that have been falling apart for years. I saw a dog on top of his dog house with the water rising, it was heartbreaking. I feel so bad for the animals also.

Because the Army Corps of Engineers opened the levee at Birds Point in Mississippi County , Missouri , Monday evening, Mississippi County Coroner Terry Parker is advising the public that a number of cemeteries and grave sites in Mississippi and New Madrid Counties will be flooded.

This raises the possibility that caskets, burial vaults or skeletal remains may become uncovered and float or be washed along with the current.

Mississippi County along with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, the State Emergency Management Agency, the Missouri Funeral Directors and Embalmers Association and the National Guard, have been coordinating plans to handle the recovery, collection, identification and eventual re-internment of any remains that are disturbed by the water.

(more at link)

BBM

(more at link)

Oh my goodness wouldn't that be awful for some little kid to see that. "Mom I think grandpa is back."

Awwww.....

I think we deal with enough death here already... :(

LOL! KInda cute though! Dark...but cute.

Tx. :)

I live about 100 miles from the floodway we've been discussing, but we have some local rivers with problems of their own. And I was alarmed to see a TV commercial this morning for this newfangled flood protection product:
http://www.bigbagsusa.com/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back