Lloyd Welch is Person of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few questions. What year was this photo of him?
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/220.../2014/02/11/1392139518000-BgNaIBwIcAAFY1Z.jpg

Also, would he have been in MD anytime from May 1988 to Aug 1988...and any connection to AA county?
Lastly, anyone know the type of car LE is looking for, that he may have used? Any description?

EDIT: Found the pic, looks to be 1994? Blurry on my monitor for some reason.
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ9_ZNJVEAAsoi_.jpg
I think I saw somewhere this picture is in the early 90's. It may be a booking photo from SC or DE. I would guess it is around that period as he seems between the skinny longhair in the 70's pics and the heavier, balding look of today.

WaynezWorld,

Can you or someone provide a link to the pdf court documents available to the public? Thank you.☺

There is a window with the PDF file about midway down on this website. You can download it if you think the news source may delete it. I am going to save a copy myself just in case. EDIT- they will not allow a download w/o a "subscription". I think it is available elsewhere though.

http://wset.com/news/local/court-do...-lloyd-welch-jr-of-rape-domestic-violence-etc

IF Lloyd Welch, Jr. had anything to do with the Lyon sisters - and he came forward as early as 1 April 1975 claiming to know who took the girls - it was either as someone with inside/intimate knowledge of who the perpetrators were, or as someone who was actually involved with others in the girls abduction.

As much of a dirtbag as he may have been before and after the girls' disappearance, he has to be found guilty of the facts in their case rather than on anything else he might have done in his life.

His life of crime cannot be ignored, however, and if any other crimes can be linked directly to the Lyons sisters, then they should be presented. But probably only during the sentencing phase - if it gets that far.

A major problem with this case is that many of the potential witnesses and potential suspects are now dead or possibly not located. Any witness put on the stand will be subjected to careful questioning and will be required to recall events clearly that took place over 40 years ago.

Much of what has been leaked regarding information on this case seems to have come from Lloyd Welch himself. How much of it is truthful or accurate? How much of his information can be trusted or corroborated? How much of it will be allowed to be presented at a trial?

I find it extremely doubtful that Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr. could have committed - all on his own - a daytime abduction of two girls at a busy mall, transported them, imprisoned them, murdered them and then disposed of their bodies - and then managed to keep it a secret for 40 years.

There is far more to this story than has been released to date.

Don't overlook the presence of at least one witness who can place the girls with LLW shortly after they disappeared. How do you know that there is far more to this story than has been released? Can you provide links or references?

It has been ruled that Lloyd Welch's statements to investigators can be used in court, because Lloyd breached an immunity agreement by being "untruthful" and by telling conflicting stories.

Of course he has been "untruthful". He probably wouldn't be able to tell the truth if he stepped in it. And investigators knew that from the beginning. As early as 1 April 1975 they wrote him off as a liar and sent him away when he spoke with them.

So now, BECAUSE HE IS A KNOWN LIAR. . ., "

Given the recent information released in the court documents, it is evident that there is much, much more that has never been released. Some of that information may well feed into determining LLW's lies from his truths, and make the "proof is in the pudding" cliche appropriate.

One example would be his statement about the girl being kept in a locked room in the basement of the Hyattsville home. RAW family pointed to the fact that their basement (if it was the same house using in 1975) had no locked room. That could be explained by remodeling or not the same house. I was struck at the time of the televised footage of the search of LLW1 home on Baltimore Avenue, that there did appear to be a small room, absent a door at the time, which could have fit the description. Now if connecting blood evidence is also found at that location, another link in the "chain of truth" may lead to another, and another, etc. until the "could's and may's" make verifiable facts. I believe, "The devil is in the details" of the "tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive."

Generally, we think that children learn that lesson in the first decade of life, but some people never quite get the message. And. . . the longer the lie lives, the more tangled the web details hiding the devil.

In at least one recent case, a young woman left home by weaving a tangled web which was not uncovered until after her death. Check the story of Lori Erica Ruff/Kimberly McLean. Sometimes it is possible to find truth by dissecting lies. Let's hope this will be one of those times.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...rplexing-mystery-of-identity-thief-lori-ruff/

The defense also filed a Motion to Appoint a DNA expert same day as the Motion for Continuance. Interesting.

The defense also filed a Motion to Appoint a DNA expert same day as the Motion for Continuance. Interesting.

Yes. The defense will need their own DNA expert to counter what the prosecution's DNA expert will state. These DNA experts that testify for the defense are essentially hired guns brought in to raise any reasonable doubt to what the prosecution argues. It seems more credible as opposed to the defense attorney's just stating their opinion as to why they disagree with the prosecution's DNA expert's conclusions. They need their own DNA expert to lend credibility to their argument. Really, any side / position can be taken and argued with enough money. Of course, LLW2 has no money, so the VA taxpayers will be paying for the whole charade, umm, I mean trial.

Why do we assume that Lloyd has no money? Because he is in prison?

There was a post on WS of a Taylor's Mountain descendants FB post some time back around June or July 2014 or 15 by Stacy Heller Welch that indicated that there was money enough in the family to fight the legal fight. Of course, she has since passed, and I don;'t think the post was ever explained. Just another open question, because we know that a public defender is being used and Bedford and/or Virginia is believe to be footing the bills.

Why do we assume that Lloyd has no money? Because he is in prison?

There was a post on WS of a Taylor's Mountain descendants FB post some time back around June or July 2014 or 15 by Stacy Heller Welch that indicated that there was money enough in the family to fight the legal fight. Of course, she has since passed, and I don;'t think the post was ever explained. Just another open question, because we know that a public defender is being used and Bedford and/or Virginia is believe to be footing the bills.

FACEBOOK – Taylor’s Mountain descendants

Stacy Heller-Welch There is much more to the Lyon case that hasn't been told to the public. I can say that many were involved. Some are now decreased. It's a horrible and demented crime that was planned out. The truth will come out and it will shock many. Also, the money being spend on this case is because they have enough to continue. She got up on the stand and lied about everything. Sad thing is there are so many more skeletons in the family closet. It will forever leave a bad vibe for those that lived and now live on the mountain. Such evil does exist in the hearts and souls of many.
Like · Reply · 1 · July 13 at 10:47pm

"To Delay Justice is an Injustice" William Penn

Lloyd Lee Welch was named as a POI, Feb 11, 2014.
He was charged with Murder on 7-10-2015.
His double murder trial was initially scheduled for 11-24-2015,
then was postponed to 3-15-2016,
then again postponed to 10-18-2016,
then yet again delayed to 4-18-2017.
It has now been delayed until 9-12-2017.

Unfortunately, this is not surprising. When you look at it, there is really no incentive for either LLW2 or his legal team to go to trial anytime soon. LLW2 is currently serving a lengthy prison term for sexually assaulting a 10 year old girl, so he's not going anywhere. His legal team knows he's responsible for the Lyon sisters abduction and is culpable in their subsequent deaths. Therefore to the letter of VA law, it is most probable he will be found guilty of murder. Until the fifth tentatively scheduled trial date in September, LLW2's legal team will probably rack up another $200k in various legal expenses. Essentially, the longer the trial is delayed, the more they get paid. All of this is an injustice to the Lyon sisters family, LLW2's dozens of other victims, as well as the VA taxpayers.

That would be J. Thomas McClintock, Ph. D.,the Director of Forensic Science at Liberty University. Coincidentally?, he just happened to be interviewed about the case in September 2014.
http://wset.com/archive/top-dna-analyst-weighs-in-on-cold-case

He will get a $21,000 payday for his work...
"The cost of hiring McClintock would be $350 per hour for 60 hours of analysis, coming to $21,000, the motion states."
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loc...cle_6e0dbf10-facc-11e6-8a6d-33859748eec4.html

Don't overlook the presence of at least one witness who can place the girls with LLW shortly after they disappeared. How do you know that there is far more to this story than has been released? Can you provide links or references?

What witness would that be? There is an un-named woman who was 12 years old in 1975 who claimed to have been with the Lyon Sisters and who described a Long Haired Man following them before they went missing. And there are ten other known witnesses who saw them at the mall that day - none of whom mentioned anything about seeing a third girl or a Long Haired Man.

Members of Lloyd Welch's family who were closest to him like his mother and wife/girlfriend never mentioned seeing him with the girls (both of those potential witnesses are now deceased).

Lloyd claimed that he got into a car with the girls and that his uncle and cousin were also in that car. Both have denied any memory of that.

Lloyd claimed to have walked in on his uncle in a basement somewhere molesting one of the girls. Again no confirmation as yet of that - certainly not from his uncle.

An aunt and cousin (now deceased) testified about Lloyd burning some duffel bags containing what Lloyd claimed was spoiled meat, but neither stated that this was definitely the Lyon sisters' bodies.

Two separate eyewitnesses claimed to have seen one or both of the Lyon sisters (alive) in a Ford station wagon in Manassas, VA on 7 April 1975 - two weeks after they disappeared. The description of the driver of that car does not fit with Lloyd's appearance back then.

Who is this eyewitness you mention that claims to have seen Lloyd with the girls?

The young lady who gave the eyewitness account from with the sketch was created is a good witness......she is named, just not all over the news. And RAW had a big extended family and a lot of neighbors in suburban Maryland in 1975. Among all those people, there is a witness or two out there, Richard. The prosecution is aware of it, too.

The young lady who gave the eyewitness account from with the sketch was created is a good witness......she is named, just not all over the news. And RAW had a big extended family and a lot of neighbors in suburban Maryland in 1975. Among all those people, there is a witness or two out there, Richard. The prosecution is aware of it, too.

The young lady (who probably has a name!) has not been named as a witness who will appear at trial to my knowledge. Are you saying that she will testify? According to police press statements made in 2014, she spoke to them back in 1975 and gave a story about a long haired man following her and the Lyon sisters - and helped them make a sketch. However, police never released that sketch or story until recent years. She did not name Lloyd Welch as the person following her or the Lyon sisters but rather stated that the long haired man was unknown to her. She also did not state that she saw Lloyd Welch with the Lyon Sisters AFTER their disappearance, as you imply.

That said, it is possible that she has been interviewed by LE more recently and may have identified Lloyd by photos or in a line up as the person she saw in 1975, but I have not seen that so stated anywhere.

I have no doubt that Lloyd Welch has many relatives. Speculators have suggested many times in these threads that one or more of them might know more about Lloyd and his involvement in this case. But it has not been stated positively by either the police, the prosecution, or in the news media who such a person is or specifically what he/she knows - or that they will appear as a witness at trial.

Investigators have interviewed many persons regarding this case and many of those people are relatives of Lloyd Welch. Do you know for a fact that any of them have stated positively that they saw Lloyd with the Lyon Sisters after they went missing from Wheaton Plaza on 25 March 1975?

Investigators have amassed a mountain of statements, reports, and potential evidence in this case - and on Lloyd Welch before and after the girls went missing. Do they have enough to convict beyond a doubt? And will they positively connect him to others also culpable in the crimes?

One concern of mine about this case going forward is the number of conflicting statements that LLW has allegedly made to LE. Even if he said something incriminating, it may be countered from the defense as an example of his mental issues. I have no doubt that LLW is pretty screwed up in the head to have two priors for child sex crimes.

I believe there is only one living witness to the duffel bag burning. I believe there is one family member who will testify that he saw LLW with the girls.

I am hoping the ace in the hole will be some kind of bone fragment and DNA evidence.

The young lady (who probably has a name!) has not been named as a witness who will appear at trial to my knowledge. Are you saying that she will testify? According to police press statements made in 2014, she spoke to them back in 1975 and gave a story about a long haired man following her and the Lyon sisters - and helped them make a sketch. However, police never released that sketch or story until recent years. She did not name Lloyd Welch as the person following her or the Lyon sisters but rather stated that the long haired man was unknown to her. She also did not state that she saw Lloyd Welch with the Lyon Sisters AFTER their disappearance, as you imply.

That said, it is possible that she has been interviewed by LE more recently and may have identified Lloyd by photos or in a line up as the person she saw in 1975, but I have not seen that so stated anywhere.

I have no doubt that Lloyd Welch has many relatives. Speculators have suggested many times in these threads that one or more of them might know more about Lloyd and his involvement in this case. But it has not been stated positively by either the police, the prosecution, or in the news media who such a person is or specifically what he/she knows - or that they will appear as a witness at trial.

Investigators have interviewed many persons regarding this case and many of those people are relatives of Lloyd Welch. Do you know for a fact that any of them have stated positively that they saw Lloyd with the Lyon Sisters after they went missing from Wheaton Plaza on 25 March 1975?

Investigators have amassed a mountain of statements, reports, and potential evidence in this case - and on Lloyd Welch before and after the girls went missing. Do they have enough to convict beyond a doubt? And will they positively connect him to others also culpable in the crimes?

If you have any doubt about witnesses, I guess you will have to wait for the trial.

[h=1]Lloyd Welch Jr. hearing continued
by Ashley Ann
[/h]Tuesday, April 18th 2017
http://wset.com/news/local/lloyd-welch-jr-hearing-continued

"BEDFORD Co., Va. (WSET) -- The man charged with abducting and murdering the Lyon sisters in 1975 had his hearing continued Tuesday...A detective testified that Welch admitted to driving a bag with the remains of Katherine and Sheila from Maryland to Bedford County before tossing them into a huge fire."

Hard to discern if this is new information or poorly worded previous information taken incorrectly out of context. I do not specifically recall reading anywhere that LLW2 actually admitted to "...driving a bag with the remains of Katherine and Sheila from Maryland to Bedford County before tossing them into a huge fire."

It is always amazing the things we "think we know" that allow us to confuse the facts in our minds. I can't find where any "released facts" say LLW said HE drove the remains to Bedford. What I find is the statement from, now deceased cousin, who said LLW brought him bloody bags for burning. Assumptions: 1) cousin is telling the truth; 2) LLW brought the bags from MD; 3) bags contained the girls' remains--any individual, combination, or all the statements may, or may not, be accurate. What I did find was quoted LE reports that LLW admitted to leading the girls "out of the mall" or was it "into the car"? I think there are lots of "truths" that our minds can be interpreted differently and lead us down false paths. When you stop to think about it, there is really no reason to believe that all of this was accomplished by just 1 or 2 people, and IMO, it might make sense to have more people involved who need to protect him/herself and the other people for "whatever" reason--including cover-up of something else. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link--so to speak. You either repair (support) the weakness, remove it completely, or make an interim repair until conditions are better for the final decision. Using more people in a cover-up could certainly create confusion if various witnesses were seeing different people involved at different times. And, yes, it would certainly indicate a larger conspiracy of multiple people--but is that completely impossible? Remember, the reason for the kidnapping of these girls has never been discovered, and we are ASSUMING that the subjects were not "targets" but were just "opportunity" victims. That could be the first and biggest ASSUMPTION of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500