Lurker Coming Out

Goody said:
Okay. Maybe you can answer this. If Darin could not hear the screams of the kids getting killed, how on earth did he hear Darlie? She did not go upstairs after him.

He said in one interview that police tested the sound and he would not have been able to hear screams in his room with the door closed. So how did he hear Darlie screaming for him from the bottom of the stairs?

For that matter,how did he hear that wine glass break????
He couldn't have. That is why I think he was already down stairs.

Goody said:
I don't think these two were organized enough to plan anything in great detail. They were both big talkers and I think they probably expected most of it to just fall in place. They were smart enough to both be sleeping when the crime happened so that neither would be able to tell what happened during the actual murders. That is a big, big coincidence. NOT!!! They just didn't plan well in every area. And who knows? Maybe they scrapped the original plan and had to go for the staging at the last minute because there was too much blood to clean up. Wouldn't be the first time that happened.
Got me to thinking about something like the kids setting her off. What if it was just one of the kids and the other woke up and had to be eliminated as a witness. More rage with Devon less with Damon. Maybe there wasn't a plan until after one was dead.

easybz said:
Here is a question maybe the more informed members can answer for me.

When you look at most of the pictures, Darlie is dressed up, hair done, makeup done and when asked to describe her people say tacky, showy, tight clothes, you get the idea.

But in the transcripts some of the witnesses, such as the pawn shop lady describe her as always being sort of grungy, almost. Sweats or shorts, big tee shirts, no undergarments, no makeup, unkempt hair. What do you think the deal with that is?

Usually you are one way or the other -can't go out without your makeup on or really don't care. Me, I'm the latter!!
I think this is a sign of depression. People who suffer from it often get in ruts where they are sloppy and unkept,sometimes want to sleep all day. Other times they might be quite happy and enjoying the people around them. I think too much focus is on the photos, many of them professionally done, as if that is the way she dressed all the time. Of course, garage saling in the thong bikini didn't help her image either.

deandaniellws said:
What do the police say about this sound test, seems a more reliable source than your witness especially if they conducted the test.

cami said:
Yes, I don't think the drowing story would get them very far. But I just don't see them as sitting down planning this together. It's too sloppy for that, I think Darlie freaked out driven by the diet pills and lack of sleep, failing marriage, failing business, depression, kids driving her nuts, Darin not helping out, etc, etc. leads to her snap for some reason and she stabs the boys. I wish she had stabbed Darin instead of taking it out on those boys.
These points do weaken the likelihood of premeditation, but we don't know for sure how big of a role the depression and diet pills may have played. They are red flags, but so are the financial problems, poor parenting skills, etc. They could all work together to make the events spin out of control or they could work together to cause someone to preplan what they might have thought was the answer to their problems. I can't decide yet which one is more likely.

Goody said:
I think this is a sign of depression. People who suffer from it often get in ruts where they are sloppy and unkept,sometimes want to sleep all day. Other times they might be quite happy and enjoying the people around them. I think too much focus is on the photos, many of them professionally done, as if that is the way she dressed all the time. Of course, garage saling in the thong bikini didn't help her image either.
Ok ok I hadn't heard this one goody.
Garage selling in a thong bikini????
What could possibly have been going on her mind.
Oh my lord and you think I was being mean when I said she was .....
I can actually believe she did it.

cami said:
An unkempt appearance is a sign of depression. Usually you don't even want to wash/shower when you are depressed, you just don't care about your appearance. You don't care about anything. I firmly believe Darlie was suffering from depression in the months leading up to the murders.
I said the exact same thing....almost! hahahahaha! Great minds thing alike. :blowkiss:

G.I.RattlesnakeJane said:
Ok ok I hadn't heard this one goody.
Garage selling in a thong bikini????
What could possibly have been going on her mind.
Oh my lord and you think I was being mean when I said she was .....
I can actually believe she did it.
It is in the Hush Little Babies book. Neighbors told the author about it. Boy, I bet there were a bunch of wives with their panties in a wad over that one. hahahahahahah!

I would think that the boys would be screaming bloody murder after being stabbed, i am sure darin had to have heard something. IMO

easybz said:
I look at her pictures, even from her early years and something seems off. Her smile doesn't look like it comes naturally to her.
That could be because there is nothing natural about her face in most of those shots. She is made up perfectly with bleached hair, the whole gammit. Like a very pretty Barbie doll. I think she looks lovely. But I can only imagine what looking like that would do to one's self esteem, when everything that makes you beautiful is phony. A perfect set up for a young woman to beat herself up over internally. Then on top of that your already big *advertiser censored* are not satisfactory either. You have to phony them up to please your husband. Starlets often say that they think of themselves as being inferior, undeserving of their success or the idolation they receive from fans, not beautiful, etc. Lack of self esteem is a big problem for young women in this country today. I can only imagine how tough it would be if you feel that everything about you is a manmade creation rather than a God given asset.

G.I.RattlesnakeJane said:
Got me to thinking about something like the kids setting her off. What if it was just one of the kids and the other woke up and had to be eliminated as a witness. More rage with Devon less with Damon. Maybe there wasn't a plan until after one was dead.
Could be except that Damon was stabbed in the back. That tells me he was sleeping when attacked. I don't think he knew what hit him until maybe the second attack. As much as I hate to say it, he might have been the sacrifice after the initial temper outburst against Devon. Not necessarily because he was witness, but possibly out of love....because they didn't want to separate the two boys. Or who knows? Maybe a little of both entered into it. If they weren't sure if he heard anything or not, they might have felt compelled to cover it all up even if they had to kill another child to do it.

That is why I wish I knew more about the dynamics in that house in the months, esp that May, preceding the murders. I don't see rage, but there could be some anger there with Devon. I don't see anger against Damon at all. If there was a plan, I think it started when she threatened suicide in May and that it probably evolved slowly from there.

deandaniellws said:
Me, too. They were up late that night, either fighting or discussing their plan, maybe building up the courage to really do it. Then either Devon got up whining and giving them a hard time and the rest evolved from there....or they took their positions and executed a poorly planned murder convinced people would believe them because they were just that good.

Goody said:
Me, too. They were up late that night, either fighting or discussing their plan, maybe building up the courage to really do it. Then either Devon got up whining and giving them a hard time and the rest evolved from there....or they took their positions and executed a poorly planned murder convinced people would believe them because they were just that good.
I hate to think about those poor babies....

michelle said:
I would think that the boys would be screaming bloody murder after being stabbed, i am sure darin had to have heard something. IMO
I agree. It would take some time for them to be silenced. Until that point was reached, they would have been sreaming.

Goody said:
Could be except that Damon was stabbed in the back. That tells me he was sleeping when attacked. I don't think he knew what hit him until maybe the second attack. As much as I hate to say it, he might have been the sacrifice after the initial temper outburst against Devon.
This was a theory in the MacDonald murders - Dad killed wife and older girl out of rage and then sacrificed the 2 year old because he could not think of a plausible explanation as to why she would still be alive when the others were dead. The stab wounds on that little girl indicated that he had layed her across his lap, stabbed her in the front and then flipped her over and stabbed her in the back (or vice versa).

I did a written comparison of these cases in a criminal justice class back in college and that was one of my points - Damon Routier and Kristen MacDonald were sacrificial lambs so to speak.

KatiesMom said:
This was a theory in the MacDonald murders - Dad killed wife and older girl out of rage and then sacrificed the 2 year old because he could not think of a plausible explanation as to why she would still be alive when the others were dead. The stab wounds on that little girl indicated that he had layed her across his lap, stabbed her in the front and then flipped her over and stabbed her in the back (or vice versa).

I did a written comparison of these cases in a criminal justice class back in college and that was one of my points - Damon Routier and Kristen MacDonald were sacrificial lambs so to speak.

I'm sorry, why would Darlie want to kill Devon and just have to take Damon for looks? :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec:

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm sorry, why would Darlie want to kill Devon and just have to take Damon for looks? :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec:

Jeana, I think I get what she is saying. (I think) She believes Devon was killed out of rage(not premeditated) and upon realizing what she (Darlie) had done, then killed Damon and "wounded" herself. Darlie would have killed Damon because how was she going to explain Devon being attacked and not herself, Darin, the baby and Damon not being attacked. I think I'm talking in circles.:banghead:

detectivewannabe said:
Jeana, I think I get what she is saying. (I think) She believes Devon was killed out of rage(not premeditated) and upon realizing what she (Darlie) had done, then killed Damon and "wounded" herself. Darlie would have killed Damon because how was she going to explain Devon being attacked and not herself, Darin, the baby and Damon not being attacked. I think I'm talking in circles.:banghead:
lol....So do people believe that she only planned on killing one child but then killed the other to make it look better???

Jeana (DP) said:
Darlie killed Devon because he enraged her. After it was over and she was surrounded by the carnage, knowing that things would never go back to "normal," she "sacrificed" Damon because there was no plausible explanation as to why Devon would be dead and Damon would be alive.

This is the MacDonald theory tailored to the Routier case.

easybz said:
Hi everyone: I have lurked on this board for a couple of years now - I have followed the Routier case, read most of the information, etc. etc. and have always been on the fence about Darlie's guilt.

The case frustrates me so I usually leave it alone for awhile and come back every now and again to see what is going on. I've recently been in an "off" period, but had "Hush Little Babies" in my nightstand drawer and pulled it out to read again.

So I've been back on re-reading transcripts, statements, etc. and cannot believe this did not jump out at me before. I'm sure it has been discussed here before, but I think her guilt is finally hitting home for me now.

One of the first lines Darin writes is, and I quote "We talked about the business, bills, and how Darlie was having a hard time with taking care of the baby's (all) today."

I can start to see a scenario form - she complains about taking care of the kids and all the housework, etc., etc. and he counters with, what I think the reaction of some men would be, that he works 40 hours a week to bring home the money and all she has to do is take care of the kids and the house. (Haven't we all heard this kind of argument before in our lives?) Hence, the supposed fight, the talk of divorce, and possibly Darlie's ultimate breakdown.

Any thoughts??
Hello! My knowledge of this case is extremely sketchy, compared to most people who post here, but with what I've leant I do believe she's guilty. The blood evidence is what convinced me.

I feel that, while Darlie and Darin had been arguing and stressing, Darlie has something inside her that made her snap- for the simple reason that most of us have had stresses in our lives, some of us may have had financial problems, and anyone who's a parent knows what it feels like to be at the end of their tether! But we would never do what she did. I believe Darlie has psychological problems. I can't back that up, of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back