MA MA - Caleigh Harrison, 2, Rockport, 19 April 2012

The nice weather in Gloucester and Rockport has brought out many people. The beaches have been very busy this week. I take my dogs for their walk on the beach next to Long Beach. I just wonder if there were any people around Caleigh and her sister and she could have possibly been taken. Unfortunately though the water was very rough yesterday and it was windy so I can imagine the undertow with an outgoing tide was especially strong. This is so sad for this family.

where are you little one?

“The search of the area, the ocean, the land has not turned up Caleigh so we have to assume that foul play is potential,” said Procopio.

Police said there were very few people on the beach when Caleigh disappeared. Police said Caleigh’s sister, although she tried, could not provide any substantial leads.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47104986/ns/local_news-boston_ma/

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1061125775&srvc=rss

By Erin Smith and Christine McConville
Friday, April 20, 2012 - Updated 3 hours ago

Cops search for missing tot

80be4b_041912harrison.jpg

I wish they'd say how her hair was done. Since a lot of toddlers of the same race look similar (especially to childless people), it might help people to know if she was sporting pigtails or the "Pebbles" hairdo in her picture. The "Pebbles" look would definitely be more memorable.

Something else is going on here. I don't in any way suspect the mother of doing something to this little girl, but we're not being told something. Think about it:

--two children and dog playing on beach on relatively nice day
--ball goes over wall, mother goes to get it
--when she gets back, younger daughter is gone

How long could it have taken her to get the ball? A beach is a wide-open area, with relatively unobstructed views so if the baby was toddling down the beach she would have been seen. If she had fallen in the water, I assume someone would have seen something and there would have been a body found by now. If she had been taken by someone, there wouldn't have been enough time to get away and no screams are being reported.

The timeline is just strange. Was the mother looking for the ball for a long period of time? Yes, people will say that two minutes is all it takes for a kid to go missing, but she was two-and-a-half. It's just weird and I have a feeling the timeline is longer than we are being told.

Also, since they have not issued a warning to the public, I can only assume the 4-year-old's account of the story does not include a stranger coming up to them. I have a 4-year-old and she would be able to express what happened. Perhaps this 4-year-old is autistic or impaired in some way and can't communicate like a normal 4-year-old?

It can be pretty loud at the ocean, with the waves crashing. One reason I feel uncomfortable with my children at the ocean is the noise, also on windy days. I like to hear my surround area with kids around. The 4 yr old could of sat down and played in the sand while she waited those minutes for mom to return with ball and Caleigh could of been behind her and wandered off. Thats why I am wondering if they were playing in the water at all, she might of thought it was ok, but seriously.... My children would freak from the coldness of the water, and I am up a few states and it was not warm enough to soak in the ocean. Are there any pics of the location that this took place, my imagination is not places things clearly.

Also, since they have not issued a warning to the public, I can only assume the 4-year-old's account of the story does not include a stranger coming up to them. I have a 4-year-old and she would be able to express what happened. Perhaps this 4-year-old is autistic or impaired in some way and can't communicate like a normal 4-year-old?

The reports indicate the sister tried to help and didn't have enough information. I wonder if she got distracted by a seashell, seagull or something as 4 year olds have a tendency to be. Perhaps she looked away at the critical moments.

Does anyone know how likely it is that if she was pulled out to sea that she would be recovered? I'm assuming the Coast Guard must have an idea of where she might be found based on the riptide, waves, etc. At 27-35 lbs, it wouldn't take but a minute to be pulled out. :( My heart is broken for the family.

Were they swimming? Or just playing on the beach?

I thought they were playing on the beach, but just found this information in an article in the Boston Herald:

Caleigh, 2, disappeared around noon yesterday while playing with her sister on a footbridge that links two pop-ular beaches, police said.

Rockport police said the girl’s mother frantically called them just after noon yesterday to report Caleigh missing.

The Gloucester mom was at the beach with Caleigh, her sister, 4, and the family dog, police said.

The sisters were playing with a ball on the Saratoga Creek Footbridge, which connects Long Beach and Cape Hedge Beach, when the ball bounced over a wall and into a cottage yard, police said.
BBM

From: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1061125839

I wonder if the footbridge is what's in that picture that longtallcold posted? If so, it looks as though it would be tough to fall off that...... moo

I thought they were playing on the beach, but just found this information in an article in the Boston Herald:

BBM

From: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1061125839

I wonder if the footbridge is what's in that picture that longtallcold posted? If so, it looks as though it would be tough to fall off that...... moo

Here is a Bing bird's eye view of what I believe is the bridge and the cottage wall that the ball went over. The wall looks high and like it took a bit of effort. Did the mother run around to the front of the house to retrieve the ball? That took a minute or two. Depending on tides and wave activity, it looks like poor Caleigh could have fallen and been swept out from this location.

http://binged.it/HVzelS

Here is a Bing bird's eye view of what I believe is the bridge and the cottage wall that the ball went over. The wall looks high and like it took a bit of effort. Did the mother run around to the front of the house to retrieve the ball? That took a minute or two. Depending on tides and wave activity, it looks like poor Caleigh could have fallen and been swept out from this location.

http://binged.it/HVzelS

If it was real windy, the ball could have traveled further away and the mother was gone longer than she thought.

This view of a foot bridge looks like there is a fence along both sides of it, but the embankment of the beach area looks slanted in a few areas. Does this waterway lead straight out to the ocean?

Prayers for Caleigh.

If it was real windy, the ball could have traveled further away and the mother was gone longer than she thought.

This view of a foot bridge looks like there is a fence along both sides of it, but the embankment of the beach area looks slanted in a few areas. Does this waterway lead straight out to the ocean?

Prayers for Caleigh.

Yes. You can zoom out on the map for a better idea of the area. I just watched the video posted above and they said that it was just after high tide, and the tide was reversing and pulling back toward the ocean. :(

Also, my daughter is the same age as Caleigh, and I could easily see her fitting between those rails and falling. Not yet 3 year olds are tiny.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back