MA MA - Caleigh Harrison, 2, Rockport, 19 April 2012

ROCKPORT — An intense and resumed search for 2-year-old Caleigh Ann Harrison of Gloucester is once again underway on and off Long Beach.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/local/x1865823322/Update-Divers-copters-resume-roles-in-search-for-Caleigh-Harrison

I saw that one too. Not sure if it is just conflicting reports (darn MSM) or if the Gloucerster Times is behind. It looks like GT last updated 4 hours ago (making it 11:30am), but the Wicked Local was updated at 12:02pm. I hope they haven't called it off. It seems way too early for that.

I saw that one too. Not sure if it is just conflicting reports (darn MSM) or if the Gloucerster Times is behind. It looks like GT last updated 4 hours ago (making it 11:30am), but the Wicked Local was updated at 12:02pm. I hope they haven't called it off. It seems way too early for that.

According to WCVB Boston, the Coast Guard has called off the search, but local and state police are still searching.

The U.S. Coast Guard ended its search Friday for a 2-year-old girl who was last seen playing ball with her sister one day ago near the water in Rockport, however, local and state police continued to look for the toddler.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/30927136/detail.html#ixzz1sc86qjmC

They said on local news that they used weighted buoys at 35lbs to simulate if she went in the water, where would it take her. It seemed that it brought them to Saratoga point area, so that is where they have been searching in the water today. They are going over to Milk island tomorrow. So sad for this sweet girl and her family...

Police said there were two parallel investigations being conducted following Caleigh’s disappearance, one involving a possible drowning, the other a potential crime

“We have not ruled out the possibility that Caleigh was abducted,” Sate Police spokesman David Procopio said. “We have not found her anywhere yet, so we have not ruled out that there could have been a crime committed."

Snipped: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...for-girl-missing-in-rockport-passes-24-hours/

I hope all the stores in the area are looking at their video surveillance tapes for someone with a backpack or gym bag. Stun gun and a gym bag would easily help someone walk off with a child this small. These people watch kids and lie in wait for an opportunity.

What is even worse, they may never know what happened to her...:(

Thanks to all of you for the pictures. And links and info. This is just so sad. My prayers are with this family.

Did anyone else notice that during the press conference, the police spokesman corrected himself after he said that they received a 911 call. He seemed to imply it was not a 911 emergency call, but instead a direct call to LE. It seemed odd to me at the time, but then I thought that it is possible that the community does not have 911 service. I know that there are some places that don't.

From the link, it doesn't sound like she was on the bridge, but on the sand. Am I reading that right? It would be easier for me to understand this child falling off the footbridge and being swept out - but how did she get into the ocean so quick and swept away without the mother or sister seeing? This is all so sad.

They were playing ball near the footbridge between Long Beach and Cape Hedge Beach.

Read more: Coast Guard calls off search for girl lost on Rockport's Long Beach - Rockport, MA - Wicked Local Rockport http://www.wickedlocal.com/gloucest...rl-lost-on-Rockports-Long-Beach#ixzz1sfhsI2lu

Did anyone else notice that during the press conference, the police spokesman corrected himself after he said that they received a 911 call. He seemed to imply it was not a 911 emergency call, but instead a direct call to LE. It seemed odd to me at the time, but then I thought that it is possible that the community does not have 911 service. I know that there are some places that don't.

http://www.rockportusa.com/Vacation.cfm?ck=103

There is 911 in Rockport and Gloucester. I noticed the same thing...he corrected himself. The frantic call that is stated in the articles are that the husband called the friend frantically.....so if you little girl was missing at the ocean wouldn't 911 be all you could think of...not the Police dept's business line?
http://www.necn.com/04/19/12/Search...g-fro/landing.html?blockID=693010&feedID=4753

"He said, 'You gotta help me, you gotta help me, she's missing, she's missing,'" said family friend Dan Rapp, describing the frantic phone call he received from Caleigh's father.

"He said that his wife was at the waters edge with the dog, playing with a ball," said Rapp. "The ball went into rough water, she went to get the ball and when she turned around, the daughter was missing."

I'm not implying that the mother wasn't frantically calling....but wouldn't it be odd not to call 911?

Has it been said anywhere that it was the mom that called police? If not, maybe someone else, not in rockport, called the non-emergency number knowing that dialing 911 from their phone wouldn't reach the proper authorities. Moo

I wish they'd say how her hair was done. Since a lot of toddlers of the same race look similar (especially to childless people), it might help people to know if she was sporting pigtails or the "Pebbles" hairdo in her picture. The "Pebbles" look would definitely be more memorable.

I thought she had the "Pebbles" 'do in the picture and when I read your post, scrolled back up. I don't think she does. If you look, it seems the back of her hair is cut short at her neck and the "ponytail" on top is an item in the background. She's got very wide front teeth, which give her a unique look. She's cute as a button. I hope they find her, but since she is "not adventurous" she probably stayed close to Mom and followed her into the water to get the ball.

I took my daughter to Ocean City at about 18 months. She was in my arms and I was walking into the water, when the outgoing wave pulled my feet out from under me. I could not tell up from down. The "water" was full of sand and was blinding. I was afraid to let go of her and afraid that if I held on I would drown her. It was terrifying. She squirmed out of my arms and I found my feet and yelled for her Dad to help me find her when she bobbed to the surface, scared but otherwise ok. If this little girl was sucked under without anyone realizing she'd left the sand, she could have been far from shore before they stopped searching the beach and turned in that direction.

What I don't understand is that some of reports say their mom went over/behind a wall to fetch the ball and other reports say she went into the rough water to find the ball.

I can ASSURE and PROMISE you that unless this ball was made of solid gold, no one on the PLANET would go into the water to fetch a ball. The ocean up here *might* hit 69- or 70 degrees at the end of August after an extended heat wave. Even then it **HURTS** to go in it most of the year. Right now water temps are upper 40s to 50 degrees based on what I see here. http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/250.html

No reasonable person would ever go into water that cold to fetch a ball and then get out soaking wet (at least partially) and continue playing out in the wind on a not-very-warm day when temps right on the beach were 50-something.

I know of what I speak here. I live two towns over from rockport.

http://www.rockportusa.com/Vacation.cfm?ck=103

There is 911 in Rockport and Gloucester. I noticed the same thing...he corrected himself. The frantic call that is stated in the articles are that the husband called the friend frantically.....so if you little girl was missing at the ocean wouldn't 911 be all you could think of...not the Police dept's business line?
http://www.necn.com/04/19/12/Search...g-fro/landing.html?blockID=693010&feedID=4753

"He said, 'You gotta help me, you gotta help me, she's missing, she's missing,'" said family friend Dan Rapp, describing the frantic phone call he received from Caleigh's father.

"He said that his wife was at the waters edge with the dog, playing with a ball," said Rapp. "The ball went into rough water, she went to get the ball and when she turned around, the daughter was missing."

I'm not implying that the mother wasn't frantically calling....but wouldn't it be odd not to call 911?

:waitasec: I'm a little confused. I've read articles that say that the mom went into the water to retrieve the ball AND that the mom went into a 'courtyard' to retrieve the ball.

Which is it? THAT would be very helpful to know.

Is this a case of poor media reporting or conflicting statements?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back