MA MA - CARL DREW and the Freetown State Forest Cult Activity, 1970's

Quickest link I could find before class - not sure what website his is but it appears to be the full report:

http://www.ivantic.net/Dejvid Ajk i...ic Ritual Abuse - Kenneth V. Lanning 1992.htm

Thanks -- I haven't seen this in years, but it should be required reading for anyone who entertains or seeks to perpetuate the notion of satanic ritual abuse. Satanic ritual abuse is not only unsubstantiated, but it is a distraction from real problems and their causes.

I hadn't read it in years either! It's a very good read, especially since he initially started out as maybe not a full, true blue believer, but not so skeptical of the claims. He then very clearly and logically follows the actual evidence and facts and makes his conclusion.

The whole satanic panic was so strange. It wasn't just focused around abuse claims, either. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I remember as a kid in the 80s there were certain adults who were worrying over heavy metal, Dungeons and Dragons, etc, all being "satanic". My parents were not this way, but I had a friend whose mom was a "born-again" Christian (as was my friend), and when she was over my house she was shocked by my brother's Iron Maiden posters, and shocked that my parents allowed him to have these "satanic" posters and record albums in the house lol. Oh, and the old legend of ZElda video game for the first Nintendo system was supposed to have occult themes too. :facepalm: She repeated a lot of stuff her mom had told her about satanism, about how there were so many secret satanists in America, etc. and I remember it was a common topic on talk shows at the time too (Geraldo, Donahue, etc), so it wasn't just this one girl. Very strange time in America. :eek:hoh:

Now, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good supernatural/occult-tinged/urban legend type story! Which is why I enjoy the bridgewater triangle stories. I grew up hearing a lot about them, including the UFO sightings (what can I say? I'm a total skeptic, but like Mulder, I WANT to believe lol!). My favorite being the creepy route 44 ghost hitchhiker, whom one of my friends swears she drove "through" one night! :crazy: So, I hope no ones offended, I do enjoy the out-there stories, but I definitely put no stock in organized bands of satanists. :)

I lived on Long Island in the early 80's back when Ricky Kasso murdered a fellow teen in a 'satanic ritual' deep in the woods, the cops did not hear about the murder until weeks later when numerous students had been brought to see the decomposing body.
Between the music of bands like Black Sabbath, the Son of Sam murders, the Amitville Horror book, rumors were flying, parents were convinced death cults were infiltrating Long Island schools and all the kids were at risk.

My friends and I even cruised into Northport one night to see the site of the killing. Having no clue where it was, we went into the woods with flashlights terrified of what we would see. On a big rock in a clearing were spray painted the words "SATIN RULES" it was at this point I realised that if the kids of Northport could not spell Satan, then there was good chance these rumors of baby sacrificing, cat killing devil worshippers were all complete bullsh1t.

It ended up Kasso was a drop out drugged out loser who killed his buddy over $50 worth of PCP.

I lived on Long Island in the early 80's back when Ricky Kasso murdered a fellow teen in a 'satanic ritual' deep in the woods, the cops did not hear about the murder until weeks later when numerous students had been brought to see the decomposing body.
Between the music of bands like Black Sabbath, the Son of Sam murders, the Amitville Horror book, rumors were flying, parents were convinced death cults were infiltrating Long Island schools and all the kids were at risk.

My friends and I even cruised into Northport one night to see the site of the killing. Having no clue where it was, we went into the woods with flashlights terrified of what we would see. On a big rock in a clearing were spray painted the words "SATIN RULES" it was at this point I realised that if the kids of Northport could not spell Satan, then there was good chance these rumors of baby sacrificing, cat killing devil worshippers were all complete bullsh1t.

It ended up Kasso was a drop out drugged out loser who killed his buddy over $50 worth of PCP.

Lol! This puts me in mind of a funny, recent story. Obviously much less serious than the murder you posted about...

An ex-boyfriend of my daughter's ("boyfriend" i guess - they never went on a date, just sort of walked around the neighborhood together! :crazy: ) I guess a few years back (they're both about 16 now) he apparently liked to shock his family with talk of occult and satanism. Well over the summer he gave one of my younger sons his old Wizard 101 account that he doesnt use anymore (its an online, cartoony kids game where you play as a wizard and do quests). When we went to log in with the username he gave us, we saw his password was "Satin666" :lol: my husband and I had a good laugh about evil fabrics, and how "hardcore" this kid was... :floorlaugh:

Yes, "satanists" would be much more scary if they could, you know, actually spell Satan, lol...

I found this documentary on YouTube to be quite good. It's rather short, less than a half hour, but still informative. It's from the documentary series 'American Occult'.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9v1Pp_4Wfs"]Serial Killers - Robin Murphy & Carl Drew: The Fall River Cult Killers - Documentary - YouTube[/ame]

I'll have to check it out tomorrow durin our snow day off.

Has the brudgewater triangle movie been posted anywhere? I'm curious as to what topics they covered besides Freetown SF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Has the brudgewater triangle movie been posted anywhere? I'm curious as to what topics they covered besides Freetown SF.

Not to my knowledge. I think there's still one date on the Spooky Southcoast pay-per-view USTREAM page where you can watch the documentary for $7.99 or something. But you have to watch it as a live stream on a certain date and time, and not truly "on demand." It's worth the small cost, especially if you're from here.

They covered a lot of ghost sightings within the triangle, and even mentioned the Red-Headed Hitchhiker, who you said your friend claims to have seen. They covered the early wars between the Indians who settled here and the English. They just ran through a bunch of random stuff, really.

Well, if this girls claims turn out to be legit, you may have to reevaluate your belief system.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/natio...ling-over-22-people-as-part-of-a-satanic-cult

Well, it's not a "belief system". Belief is based on faith and irrationality, and by definition has no proof for its claims.

The onus is on those who believe in satanism, and the widespread organized ritual abuse to prove their claims with facts. The existence of assorted folks who claim to be committing crimes in the name of a nonexistent devil figure isn't proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Gawd, these read like something out of another century, never mind the 70s/80s!

Mass was unfortunately caught up in all the satanism hysteria that other states were. Coakley STILL will not admit wrongdoing, or even reconsider the prosecution of the Amiraults with the Fells Acres case. And don't get me started in the Bristol County DAs office. I saw first hand what their fumbling did to the families of victims of the NB highway murderer. :furious: I have no doubt Pina et al believed not only in a literal Satan but probably fairies and unicorns as well.

On another note, I notice Drew has a "lovely" webpage setting out the case for his innocence. See you in another lifetime, dude, you aren't getting out. :puke:

On another note, I notice Drew has a "lovely" webpage setting out the case for his innocence. See you in another lifetime, dude, you aren't getting out. :puke:

I've seen it. He was a woman beater, a pimp, and a criminal. All by his own admission. But he "wasn't a bad guy." Sure.

The sad thing about the Satanic Panic is that now nobody will take seriously those few nutjobs who actually DO employ Satanism (rather than the far more popular bible, racial conspiracies, end times crapola, ufos or w/e else) as the propaganda by which they keep their victims un-thinking, and in line.

Like all cults, it's never really about the beliefs. It's about the leader, and everyone doing what benefits that guy, all the time.

Anyway, that forest sounds really creepy. Thanks for posting this info on the cases, too. :)
Im right with you on that one Ausgirl.
That 'Satanic Panic' flamed by the media and talk show hosts of the 80's putting all these mentally ill folks who claimed to have been used as brood mares by Satanic Cults really muddied the waters.
I do beleive that Berkowitz did not act alone and there are Psychopaths and small groups that blend their borrowed occult beliefs with violence. But I doubt there are too many Law Enforcement folks these days who would step up and say a crime has a Cult or Occult Activity connection even if there was clear cut evidence of it.
Who wants to to be laughed at or have people in your Dept. calling you 'Geraldo'?

c7ab860e9ad2eb6b0232c6725b134f62.jpg

Doreen Levesque
a154c05401dbb91a25e5bdc869788d81.jpg

Karen Marsden
ea96baf63f2537c9b89ff751929d4974.png

Carl Drew
9d2413c1c9e481e4a016e9ad75236201.png

Andre Maltais
db063ed153c1915df91e664a284a725a.png

Robin Murphy

I'm also local and have looked into this case. Between the powers that be supposedly pushing victims to testify against Carl Drew, to Robin Murphy lying (and later admitting to doing so) in order to strike a deal for a reduced sentence, to whether or not Maltais even killed Barbara Raposa at all as Murphy claimed he had, it's difficult to know what really happened. I'll post more on this when I have some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To this day Carl Drew maintains his innocence and claims he did not kill Karen Marsden, whom he is serving life for the murder of. Det. Paul Carey has spoken out on Drew's behalf to support this claim. He believes Robin Murphy was likely the person who killed Marsden, and since the trial in 1981, Murphy has changed her story since, claiming she pinned the murder of Marsden on Drew in order to receive a reduced sentence (second degree murder) and the murder of Barbara Ann Raposa on Andre Maltais because he had molested her as a child.

Numerous appeals filed on Drew's behalf have been denied. In 2004 former cult member and prostitute Maureen 'Sonny' Sparda came forward with claims of intimidation by prosecutors. She was initially intended to testify on Drew's behalf during his trial, but ultimately was told not to say anything in Drew's defense, or she herself would become a co-defendant of Drew. She eventually pleaded the 5th amendment and never testified. Sparda claims that Murphy was Marsden's killer.

Maltais died in prison all the while maintaining he never killed Raposa, his girlfriend at the of her disappearance in 1979. Doreen Levesque's case, who was the first of the three victims killed, has never been solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Christopher0928, glad you joined the discussion.

Can you please provide source links for the images and info you've provided? Thanks in advance.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back