GUILTY MA - Christa Worthington, 45, murdered in her Truro home, 6 Jan 2002

Litlstar04 said:
kato, I'm sure that any cable channel could put together a documentary/movie about this case, but this filmmaker has done other projects with HBO. Plus, HBO has a specific department for this type of feature, so I'm sure they have more money than some channels do. Personally, I've been impressed with HBO's past projects, so I'm looking foward to this one!

I understand but I only have basic cable. Not getting anything else cuz I know people who have digital, dishes and other mediums and there's still nothing to watch. LOL

I'm one of those people :crazy:
How about this, if we're both still posting when the movie comes out on HBO, I'll tape it for you and send it to you. Does that sound like a plan?

Litlstar04 said:
I'm one of those people :crazy:
How about this, if we're both still posting when the movie comes out on HBO, I'll tape it for you and send it to you. Does that sound like a plan?

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the offer.

I don't have expanded cable either right now. But, who knows, by the time this movie gets finished things may be different. Or we can just go have a viewing party at Litlstar's house. :woohoo:

Remembering Christa Worthington

I want to write this for Christa, the quietly enigmatic woman I knew in college, the sparkling-eyed petite girl down the hall from me in Lathrop who snagged a single room as a freshman. I want to write this about Christa who, even though she lived in Hingham was really from a town on Cape Cod called Truro. About the friend she was for three brief years more than twenty years ago. I want to write this because in the media's appropriation of her murder for its sensationalistic qualities, Christa is being lost.....

http://www.aavc.vassar.edu/vq/winter2003/worthington.html

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/thoughlegal6.htm

January 6, 2005

Though legal, general testing arouses concern

By ERIC WILLIAMS and EMILY C. DOOLEY
STAFF WRITERS
TRURO - Investigators in several countries have selectively used mass DNA testing, usually in high-profile cases, since the technology became viable in the 1980s.

Yesterday, state and Truro police began asking local men to volunteer saliva samples in hopes of solving the Christa Worthington murder case. Investigators want to identify the unknown man who had sex with her in the hours contemporaneous with her murder in January 2002. He may be the killer or he may be able to help police identify the killer.

The men who gave samples yesterday signed a DNA saliva collection card, providing their name, date of birth, race and sex. The card also indicates who collected the sample and the date of collection. A few men declined to give samples.

There will be a show about this on Court TV tonight. It is called Under Investigation and it will air at 9pm CT/ 10pm ET.

State police were at the Barnstable County Correctional Facility yesterday collecting DNA samples from inmates with felony convictions on their criminal records.

More than 200 of the jail's 375 inmates were required to be tested under a state law enacted in February 2004 that vastly expanded the range of felons whose genetic material the state must keep on file

In January, DNA testing on Cape Cod received national headlines when police asked for volunteer saliva samples from men in Truro. The hope was to find a match for DNA recovered at the Christa Worthington murder scene three years after the unsolved crime took place.

While the two tests have very different circumstances, Regan, the jail's superintendent, said O'Keefe is hopeful one of the profiles taken yesterday may provide an answer to that case.

"The DA's office has really been pressing to get this done," Regan said. "Obviously, with the Worthington case front and center."

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/countycollects8.htm

Sprocket said:
They've arrested someone in this cold case. New's is coming in now. There should be a press conference around 1 or 1:30pm ET.

Hi Sprocket:

They've arrested the garbage man. He has a long list of criminal activity, including violence against women. His DNA matched the dna that was found on her. He is being arraigned at noon today I think.

He actually consented to a DNA test. Must have thought that they wouldn't figure it out?? :loser:

Woo-hoo!
Justice can finally be handed down.

Any news on her child? I've often thought of that dear baby.

I am so glad that they finally found the murderer. I wonder how they put two and two together to figure out it was the garbage man.

Nan:

The authorities asked all the men in the community to submit to a DNA test. Those that were reluctant were put under more intense scrutiny. This guy did consent to a test, I don't know if he did it reluctantly or not, but he did. Right away, his DNA matched what was found on her.

The baby has been with her biological father and his wife and family since the murder. He has five other chilren. He is a fisherman.

I saw the man today, he is african-american and was very quiet as he was led from the jail to the courthouse. Haven't seen the conference yet.

Sherlock

The baby, Ava, is actually with Christa's best friends Amyra and Cliff Chase. They were designated in Christa's will to be Ava's guardians should anything happen. They have 4 or 5 kids of their own who are raised with Ava, somewhat close in age to her (she being 6 yrs old now). I think the Chases have worked something out w/ the Jacketts though where the Jacketts get weekend visitation, sort of like in a parental divorce/custody situation. I think it was awkward at first but eventually things got worked out. Tony's kids are all grown, some of them have kids of their own. A couple of them were originally suspected in the murder.

Anyhoo, thank God for DNA & Justice. :clap: :woohoo:

Someone please set me straight if I'm somehow mistaken-or missing something here, but...wouldn't the police have known YEARS ago that the DNA they had collected was from a man of African-American descent? Why not release that information so that Jackett and others could be free of the clouds of suspicion cast over them for so long?

IdahoMom said:
Someone please set me straight if I'm somehow mistaken-or missing something here, but...wouldn't the police have known YEARS ago that the DNA they had collected was from a man of African-American descent? Why not release that information so that Jackett and others could be free of the clouds of suspicion cast over them for so long?
I thought I heard that this perp consented to his dna but that was a long time ago, something about it "lost in the shuffle" for all this time. It sounded like he was initially contacted during the heat of the investigation and his sample just wasn't processed or the results weren't returned properly. Sorry, didn't quite catch what the problem was but it sounded lab oriented. Someone please correct me if I'm off here :)

chicoliving said:
I thought I heard that this perp consented to his dna but that was a long time ago, something about it "lost in the shuffle" for all this time. It sounded like he was initially contacted during the heat of the investigation and his sample just wasn't processed or the results weren't returned properly. Sorry, didn't quite catch what the problem was but it sounded lab oriented. Someone please correct me if I'm off here :)
I think if I was Jackett or a member of Christa's family, I would be :furious: :furious: :furious: !! To think Jackett has been scrutinized and villified and speculated about all this time is just obscene!! This is the OPPOSITE of a rush to judgment on the part of the police department!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back