GUILTY MA - Christa Worthington, 45, murdered in her Truro home, 6 Jan 2002

A week before investigators questioned him a second time about the unsolved murder of Christa Worthington, Christopher McCowen pleaded guilty to threatening to kill his girlfriend.

........... on March 18, 2004, McCowen met with state police detectives to talk about Worthington, a freelance writer found stabbed to death in her Truro home in January 2002

police told McCowen they recovered semen at the scene from an unknown man, and McCowen agreed to give his DNA in the form of a cheek swab. He told investigators he didn't kill her.

On July 7, 2004, police sent the sample to the State Police crime lab in Sudbury, where it was processed last month.

Between 1998 and 2004, five restraining orders were issued against him.

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/violencedetailed5.htm

Christopher McCowen, 33, charged with the murder, rape and armed robbery of Christa Worthington, admitted to participating in the beating of Worthington with another man and has indicated that he was present when she was murdered, Assistant District Attorney Robert A. Welsh III told a hushed courtroom Tuesday.

These comments are the first indication from police or prosecutors that another person might have been involved in the murder of Worthington, 46, who was found dead of a single stab wound to the chest in her Truro home Jan. 6, 2002, with her young daughter at her side.

http://www2.townonline.com/brewster/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=251379

Assistant District Attorney Robert A. Welsh III, during a court hearing last week, revealed for the first time that McCowen admitted to helping another man beat Worthington, and to being present when she was murdered.

Welsh this week said police did check McCowen's allegations, but would not confirm or deny what a source told The Cape Codder - that the man McCowen implicated had been released after passing a lie detector test.

The source, who spoke only with the assurance of not being named, said police got a warrant to search the Wellfleet home of the alleged accomplice April 17, three days after McCowen was arrested. The source said the young Wellfleet man McCowen named was questioned, but released after he offered to take a lie detector test and passed it.

Welsh said he would not confirm or deny this account. "We've talked to a number of people in this case," he said. "We looked into what McCowen said, but we do not anticipate any further arrests."

McCowen's arrest came a week after the DNA sample he gave police March 18, 2004, was identified at the state crime lab as matching DNA found on Worthington's body.

http://www2.townonline.com/brewster/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=256310

The Cape Cod trash hauler charged with the rape and murder of Christa Worthington told police he had an ongoing affair with the single mother and has tried to pin the crime on his friend, sources said.

``He admitted under interrogation that he was present, but somebody else committed the murder,'' a source said. Christopher McCowen, 33, told police a friend from Wellfleet was with him as he paid a social visit to Worthington's Truro home in January 2002

Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe could not be reached this week, but has told the Herald ``There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest there was anybody else involved in the case.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=86796

A trash hauler accused of killing fashion writer Christa Worthington pleaded not guilty Wednesday in a Cape Cod courtroom.

http://www.turnto10.com/news/4638484/detail.html

Genetic evidence that allegedly ties a Cape Cod trash hauler to the murder of fashion writer Christa Worthington is "faulty, unreliable and inaccurate," the suspect's attorney said Wednesday following his client's arraignment.

George rejected that account and said he will seek to suppress any statements his clients made to police because he was under the influence of alcohol and prescription drugs when he was questioned.

"It makes no sense that he would suddenly admit being on the scene when he has cooperated with police all along and said he was not at the scene," George said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...vidence_in_murder_of_cape_cod_fashion_writer/

I saw a segment on this case on Catherine Crier last night. The suspect may be released on bail. His lawyer claims the suspect had consensual sex with the victim. This is a standard practice now by the defense in cases where DNA is used by the prosecution.

The trial of Christopher McCowen, charged with the Jan. 5, 2002 murder and rape of Truro fashion writer Christa Worthington, will open Monday, Oct. 16, with jury selection.

When the trial actually starts, the eyes of the nation will get a chance to see the drama unfold in one of the most beautiful courtrooms in the nation.

Court TV has been given permission by Judge Richard A. Connon, who will preside over the trial, to broadcast it live from the balcony of Barnstable Superior Court, where the press will sit. Press and public will be seated based on who arrives first
http://www2.townonline.com/brewster/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=585660

This case has gone to trial with testimony starting last Wednesday. it is being covered gavel to gavel on Court TV.

shdbepaintin said:
The trial of Christopher McCowen, charged with the Jan. 5, 2002 murder and rape of Truro fashion writer Christa Worthington, will open Monday, Oct. 16, with jury selection.

When the trial actually starts, the eyes of the nation will get a chance to see the drama unfold in one of the most beautiful courtrooms in the nation.

Court TV has been given permission by Judge Richard A. Connon, who will preside over the trial, to broadcast it live from the balcony of Barnstable Superior Court, where the press will sit. Press and public will be seated based on who arrives first
http://www2.townonline.com/brewster/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=585660
One of the most beautiful in the nation? I used to work in the same area of the courthouse and I don't even remember what it looked like. I never saw the inside though.

Well, the defense is trying to smear everyone possible, including the victim.

What makes (mostly) men think that simply because a woman has a series of lovers without getting married that somehow she'd be willing to screw ANYONE, including the garbage man?

BillyGoatGruff said:
Well, the defense is trying to smear everyone possible, including the victim.

What makes (mostly) men think that simply because a woman has a series of lovers without getting married that somehow she'd be willing to screw ANYONE, including the garbage man?
Seriously. The police and the media did this woman and her daughter a huge injustice. They have been portraying her as a *advertiser censored* from day one. And even worse - GASP - A metropolitan *advertiser censored* from NY who brought her unstable lifestyle to their quiet little town. Give me a freaking break.

Masterj said:
Seriously. The police and the media did this woman and her daughter a huge injustice. They have been portraying her as a *advertiser censored* from day one. And even worse - GASP - A metropolitan *advertiser censored* from NY who brought her unstable lifestyle to their quiet little town. Give me a freaking break.
Amen, BGG and Masterj....

In a case like this tries to do two things. One, make the jury feel sorry for the defendant. Two, make the jury dislike the victim. Also, the defense attorney tries to make the witnesses look bad.

Right now, Mr. George is working on the defendant's friend whom he had tried to blamr for the murder. The defendant, Christopher McCowen's DNA had been on the victim. First, the defendant denied knowing Christa Worthington. When informed his DNA was there, he changed his story by claiming his friend did the killing while he (McCowen) was having sex with the victim.

I had to do a search to find anything on this case. I'm surprised it's not in the trials forum. Are there just not enough interested people watching this live trial on Court TV now? I sure find this case very interesting, and had followed it closely when it first happened.

I have been following it closely. The defense is making it's closing argument. The main argument of the defense is that it was a "forced confession." However, the defendant did NOT confess. He put the blame for the killing on someone else, while admitting that he just happened to have "consensual sex" with the victim while his supposed partner was robbing the house.

Jovin--this case was followed extensively on CrimeNews2000.

T-Rex said:
Jovin--this case was followed extensively on CrimeNews2000.

Thanks, T-Rex...I used to be on that board alot too, but had gotten away from it when changing computers.

William, I WANTED to follow this trial, but it came at a bad time for me with my personal life. Too much going on to be watching it or following the boards. I thought for sure that WS would have had it at the forefront on the trials board though.

ETA: I just arranged at the library today to have the book "Invisible Eden" transferred to my local branch so I can read it.

I have checked out Invisible Eden at my public library and enjoyed the book. I do wonder about the Worthington relatives snubbing Christa because they now deny this behavior. Are there other books about this case? I'm also following the trial on court tv. I hope that Christa was alive long enough to realize that the murderer left without harming Ava.

I haven't gotten word that the book has been transferred here yet, but I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm not aware of any other books on this case, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.

This case is one that I was very interested in when it happened, and I did follow it on CrimeNews2000 boards for quite some time. Due to so much going on in my personal life, I got away from it, and I do wish that I'd been able to keep up with this trial more than I have.

I'm thinking that this might be a hung jury, from what I've been able to see, but you know, if there's any doubt whatsoever as to his guilt, and there DOES seem to be, I think it's best to err on the side of caution here. I sure hope that whoever is responsible, even if it's this man, is found responsible and punished... and SOON!

I hope too, that Christa knew that Ava was going to be unharmed, but what a horrible worry for her to have to be having as she fought for her life....not knowing what would become of her little daughter. I sure hope that she is looking down now and knowing that Ava is well taken care of and with family.

2la93pk.jpg
47ak5tv.gif
2po4gmp.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member