Found Deceased MA - Judith Chartier, 17, Chelmsford, 5 June 1982 *car found in 2021*

I think Judy went off the road into a body of water, since her car is also missing. I took a look at a google map of her area and found that there were quite a few fairly large lakes and a river close to roadways. She was only 17 (young, inexperienced driver) and had partied through the night until she left to go home around 2 am. My gut feeling is that she had an accident.

I wish I knew Judy's route home from the party. There are a couple of bridges over rivers from Billreca to Chelmsford.

I was doing some reading about Mike Debardeleben when I stumbled on a few links about Judy's case. Checked WS and I see that she has this thread -- good!

30 Years After Sister's Disappearance, Concord Man Seeks Answers

...Chartier suspects someone who was at the party that night knows what happened to his sister but won't talk about it. A series of strange occurances after Judy went missing lead him to believe foul play was involved, he said.

"Just before she went missing, she said to my father that she wanted him to check the trunk of her car. She said there was something in it and she was scared, and that was the day before the day she went missing," Chartier said. ...
more at: http://concord-nh.patch.com/groups/...-sisters-disappearance-concord-man-e26f35da2d

Both the article above and the blog/journal linked below (hope it's ok to link) mentions a possible Debardeleben connection:

http://akmed.livejournal.com/246236.html

I think Judy went off the road into a body of water, since her car is also missing. I took a look at a google map of her area and found that there were quite a few fairly large lakes and a river close to roadways. She was only 17 (young, inexperienced driver) and had partied through the night until she left to go home around 2 am. My gut feeling is that she had an accident.

Do you think it was an accident? I think it was something where Judy became involved in a threatening situation and/or criminal activity like a crime, drug, or sex-ring operation. Due to her involvement with this activity, perhaps unwillingly, Judy may have wanted "out" of the activity, terrified of what was happening to her. Someone, or perhaps some people who orchestrated the bad activity did not want Judy to disband from the activity. I think they most likely stalked her, killed her, and could have hatched a plan at night to roll the car into a lake.

The background that her brother Joe gave makes a lot of sense to me. Judy COULD have been abducted by a stranger late at night, but the background in the case seems to indicate someone she knew is or was involved in her disappearance and presumed abduction.

I would lean more towards an accident, if the witness accounts of some of the people in her past did not show possible foul play. I tend to agree with her brother, Joe.

Satch

Do you think it was an accident? I think it was something where Judy became involved in a threatening situation and/or criminal activity like a crime, drug, or sex-ring operation. Due to her involvement with this activity, perhaps unwillingly, Judy may have wanted "out" of the activity, terrified of what was happening to her. Someone, or perhaps some people who orchestrated the bad activity did not want Judy to disband from the activity. I think they most likely stalked her, killed her, and could have hatched a plan at night to roll the car into a lake.

The background that her brother Joe gave makes a lot of sense to me. Judy COULD have been abducted by a stranger late at night, but the background in the case seems to indicate someone she knew is or was involved in her disappearance and presumed abduction.

I would lean more towards an accident, if the witness accounts of some of the people in her past did not show possible foul play. I tend to agree with her brother, Joe.

Satch

It is so hard to tell. Since she hung with a rough group, there is that possibilty she met with foul play. We know she was probably in a bad mood after having a fight with her boyfriend, so maybe she got snarky at the party at someone and there was a drunken/stoned violent response. Maybe she gave one of the partiers a ride home and he murdered her. There are so many possibilities. Her car being missing points to an accident, IMO. Yet, like you said, it could have been purposely rolled into a lake with possibly—her in the trunk. I saw a calendar recently, which featured a photo of an abandoned car every month in wooded areas in Massachusetts. All the decaying vehicles were in the woods for years or even decades. In fact, there is a rotted hulk in the woods near my house. It makes me wonder if LE has ever checked these vehicles out. Some are probably simply abandoned or stolen. However, what if one of them is linked to foul play?

We do know Judith was at a party, which suggests she was drinking and possibly smoking pot or doing some other drugs. She was also up very late, so I'm sure she must have been tired too. This is why I think she couldhave had an accident. Yet, she went to a party alone where questionable people were attending. I can see why this case is so hard to crack. It can go in a zillion directions.

JMO

According to her brother, Judy NEVER made it back to the party or home.
http://patch.com/new-hampshire/concord-nh/30-years-after-his-sisters-disappearance-concord-man-e26f35da2d

But according to Doe Network that Richard provided a link for...they state she DID make it back to party.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/10dfma.html

So which was is CORRECT? That's a pretty big detail to have 2 different versions of IMO. I would think her brother would not make a mistake like that so I have more of a tendency to believe him that she dropped her BF off and never made it ANYWHERE. Puts a whole new slant on case. Is there a way of truly verifying? After all these years, I'm more prone not to believe the PD because of human error while I believe her own brother "best friend" would never forget the details.

I am inclined to agree with McSpy. Over the last 5 years, I have read of at least 4 incidences of people missing for decades (car missing too) only to be found in a body of water. If Judith left a party, slightly or heavily inebriated plus angry, then her judgement during driving might not be up to par. She couldn't have had much experience behind the wheel. If there was any inclement weather, that would not help out the driving situation. I wonder if there were storms on the evening she went missing. Furthermore, if there was heavy snowfall during the winter; the streams, ponds, lakes, rivers, etc. would be swollen. It would be nice to see the address or at least the street where the party was held in Billerica.

I am inclined to agree with McSpy. Over the last 5 years, I have read of at least 4 incidences of people missing for decades (car missing too) only to be found in a body of water. If Judith left a party, slightly or heavily inebriated plus angry, then her judgement during driving might not be up to par. She couldn't have had much experience behind the wheel. If there was any inclement weather, that would not help out the driving situation. I wonder if there were storms on the evening she went missing. Furthermore, if there was heavy snowfall during the winter; the streams, ponds, lakes, rivers, etc. would be swollen. It would be nice to see the address or at least the street where the party was held in Billerica.

http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&ty...87x189731460~&cp=42.57465~-71.282303&v=2&sV=1
Party was to the east of McDonalds. Judy disappeared in the summer. Hard for her car to go into the water and not be seen. This is a busy area. The house was somewhere to the left (coming from McD's)of the concord river off of Bridle Rd. Not sure of the street name, but 4 or so streets in off of Bridge St.

By "east" you mean west, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sad to read about this young lady. After reading this entire thread and all the discussion about different scenarios of foul play, I have come to a possible scenario that was played out so many time all over the country during this timeframe by one James Debardeleben. The secret service found a receipt dated the day before Judith went missing for a hotel very near where she went missing and they also found a map of the area where Judith allegedly went missing from in James Debardeleben's car. IMHO...I think Debardeleben used one of his dozens of practiced ruses to abduct Judith and took her far out of the area and disposed of her. By the time of her disappearance Debardeleben was was very efficient about selecting victims and pulling them over by impersonating a police officer and then abducting them. I sincerely believe that is what happened to her and like most of the other cases (dozens or hundreds by most accounts) in which Debardeleben is suspected, there were so many questions and hardly any evidence that it created doubt that it was someone local and that someone knows something. Personally, I think nobody in Chelmsford really knows anything because it happened so fast and Debardeleben almost always took his victims hundreds of miles away to a safe house, that there is nothing to know unless you witnessed the actual abduction. There are so many cases he is suspected of in which there was no actual evidence and in my research of this dirtbag, if there is smoke there is usually fire. With the receipt of the hotel, the map of the area, and the general knowledge that she and her car disappeared without a trace I strongly suspect Debardeleben in her disappearance. It takes a pro to do something like that and for some local with no experience ( not saying that maybe her abductor if local wasn't experienced) it would take so much luck to pull that off. I truly hope some more info comes forward so her family and friends can get justice, but I think with Debardeleben's death there won't be much more to find.

[h=3]Private probe brings new tips in 1982 missing teen case[/h]
CHELMSFORD, Mass. (AP) - A private investigator hopes that new tips could help a Massachusetts family learn the fate of a 17-year-old girl who disappeared 35 years ago.

Investigator Sarah Stein tells the Lowell Sun (http://bit.ly/2sGzqSv ) that a tip campaign held Saturday at a Chelmsford hotel has generated good leads into the 1982 disappearance of Judith Ann Chartier.

She didn't say how many tips she received but says that she will pass them on to state police.
http://www.westernmassnews.com/stor...obe-brings-new-tips-in-1982-missing-teen-case

chartier-judithpng-1e860eb765ee898f.png

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/06/110_missing_children_from_mass.html

Bumping this thread up. Has anyone found out any more information or seen any recent articles? Whenever, the local media do a top 5 or top 10 of missing people or cold cases, this one, like several others seems to be forgotten.

Bumping this thread up. Again, maybe it is anecdotal, but the more you research a lot of these missing female cases from the 70's or 80's they all seem to involve, a bar or party, a boyfriend/husband and wife/girlfriend argument, the female leaves and ends up dead or missing...

Renewed interest in a 30-year-old cold case in Chelmsford

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back