Identified! MA - Provincetown, Race Point, 'Lady in the Dunes' WhtFem 27-49, UP11840, Jul'74 - Ruth Marie Terry

Another possibility to consider, though this might be a long shot...

Elizabeth Swann
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1667dfuk.html

Elizabeth Swann
Missing since early 1974 from Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5"7".
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long blonde hair worn in a ponytail; blue eyes. Slim build.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Swann was last seen in Birmingham, United Kingdom in early 1974. At the time she had been staying with one of her brothers in Birmingham. Elizabeth told him she had accepted a receptionist job in Gloucester. She said she intended to hitch-hike there to take it up. Elizabeth was never heard from again.

=================================================

Here's a hypothetical for Elizabeth... She's from England, so this is quite a stretch. But, perhaps she was abducted from England and brought to the United States (for prostitution?), possibly to New York City. She somehow was able to get away from her abductors and made her way to Massachusetts/Cape Cod area. Or her abductors brought her there. And at some point she encountered the killer.

What strikes me is the resemblance of Elizabeth to this reconstruction, particularly the long nose, the chin, the mouth, the shape of the face. I admit, though, that the photo of Elizabeth is not the best view:

I can only speculate about how to explain details like the gold teeth. Perhaps Elizabeth could have had dental work done in the U.S., although who would pay for such expensive work? Her abductors?

Long shot, guys! But what do you think? Here is the link to the Lady of the Dunes on DoeNetwork again: http://doenetwork.org/cases/119ufma.html

Well, just taking in account that she was headed for Gloucester. It seems more probably that fell victim to Frederick and Rosmary West.

I think that Hadden Clark is the most likely killer of this woman. I wonder if any of his collection of Jewlry (dug up with his assistance during investigations) might be connected in some way with her.

Hadden Clark agreed to assist investigators and to point out places to dig, as long as they would allow him to wear women's clothing on his outings. He reportedly looked for his sand dune victim, but could not find her.

Although I do not have any definite theories as to who this young woman was, I have a strong sense that she was murdered by Hadden Clark. He confessed to police as to having committed such a murder, and then cutting off the woman's fingers to use for fishing bait. He was attending a chef school in New York about this time.

There is a thread about Hadden Clark in the Cold Case Forum. Here is a link to it:

Meet Hadden Clark: Not-So-Sweet Transvestite - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14941

Bumping for this poor woman, whoever she was. This is a Jane Doe case that has always haunted me.

Seems like LE doesn't care enough to bother comparing DNA against Amy Billig, Rose Cole or anyone else. That's sad.

I can't believe how much the UID and Amy Billings resemble eachother...it's almost scary!!

chaddylex

Amy has an appendectomy scar right-I would think this would be an easy rule in/out for the Lady in the Dunes.

If we think about this logically, the person who killed the Lady wanted to eliminate ID via fingerprints, but was unsuccessful in decapitation, leaving the woman's face available for ID...??? Especially with all of that expensive dental work-was he interrupted and decided to bury her instead? Did the shovel break? This really has me curious.

Maybe our Lady had a record or was a public servant-did she have prints on file...hmmm...Was a rape kit done on her do you guys know??

TIA

I didn't see a thread in this forum for the following Jane Doe so I've started one.... Link http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/119ufma.html Here's the cold case thread http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3520970#post3520970
Unidentified White Female

Located on July 26, 1974 in the Race Point Dunes, Provincetown, Barnstable County, Massachusetts.
Cause of death was a blow to the head.
Estimated Date of Death: 10 days to three weeks.
Her nickname is The Lady in the Dunes

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 25 - 40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5' 6-1/2"; 145 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Long, auburn or reddish-blond hair. Athletic body. 34" waist, 31" legs. Her hair was tied in a ponytail with a rubber-type barrette. Her toenails were painted pink.
Dentals: Extensive dental work. She had gold crowns on her teeth worth $5000 up to $10,000 at that time. The dental work was done in what dentists call "the New York style" of dental work. Dental charts available.
Clothing: Jeans were found at the scene. She wore a elastic barrette in her hair. She lay on one half of a light green, heavy cotton beach blanket.
DNA: Available (Not in CODIS)

Case History
The victim was discovered in the dunes about a mile east of the Race Point ranger station in the summer of 1974.
The woman's hands were missing -presumably removed by the killer so she could not be identified through fingerprints - and her head was nearly severed from her body with an instrument similar to a military entreching tool. The left side of her skull had been crushed. No weapon was found at the site.
Her nude body was discovered lying on a beach towel with her head resting on her folded-up jeans. There was no sign of a struggle, and the woman lay on half the towel, as if she'd been sharing it with a companion.
The body was exhumed in 2000, in an attempt to confirm her identity.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Provincetown Police Department
Staff Sgt Warren Tobias
508-487-1212
508-487-1213
Provincetown Police Department
26 Shankpainter Road
Provincetown, MA 02657
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number: U-615805149 Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Some of the sketches here.....
Jane as she was murdered left..What she may have looked like as a teen in the middle.... What she may of looked like as a child on right...

Attachments

• Copy of 119UFMA1 found 7-21-74 MA.jpg
    Copy of 119UFMA1 found 7-21-74 MA.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 199
I couldn't locate a Unidentified thread for the Lady in the Dunes, so I'm going to start one, come on over and put up your matches, I'll do side by side pics, if you aren't able or don't have the time.... There's is some very good suggestions here already!
FTR! My first pick was Amy Billig, too! Did anyone get an official rule out on her? Whoever knows the answer, post it on the UID thread, Thanks!

I wonder if Valarie Lorraine Cuccia
Missing since May 7, 1974 from Brooklyn, New York City, Kings County, New York could be a viable match? The note that she may have been taken to MA against her will is interesting.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/138dfny.html

Oh - I see from the other thread that Valarie had been ruled out as a match - will keep trying

I decided to put Maima suggestion here, so y'all can compare! Elizabeth Swann's link: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1667dfuk.html Maima posted this:
Here's a hypothetical for Elizabeth... She's from England, so this is quite a stretch. But, perhaps she was abducted from England and brought to the United States (for prostitution?), possibly to New York City. She somehow was able to get away from her abductors and made her way to Massachusetts/Cape Cod area. Or her abductors brought her there. And at some point she encountered the killer.
Here is Elizabeth's info: Missing since early 1974 from Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Vital Statistics

Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5"7".
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long blonde hair worn in a ponytail; blue eyes. Slim build.

Swann was last seen in Birmingham, United Kingdom in early 1974. At the time she had been staying with one of her brothers in Birmingham. Elizabeth told him she had accepted a receptionist job in Gloucester. She said she intended to hitch-hike there to take it up. Elizabeth was never heard from again.

Investigators
National Missing Persons Helpline
0500 700 700

Stranger things have happened I suppose!

Side by side of younger LDD sketch and Ms.Swann

Attachments

• Copy of ESwann missing from UK early 1974.jpg
    Copy of ESwann missing from UK early 1974.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 108
I'd love for this mystery to be solved in my life time. My grandparents lived in Provincetown and we spentthe bulk of the summers there (my mom was a teacher). I remember the call coming in on the scanner my grandfather had (not sure what he did at the time, but he worked for the town and always had the scanner going). I was 5 at the time and I still have the occasional nightmare about what might have happened.

I remember reading an article about this case in the local newspaper and them mentioning that Clark was not really a viable suspect. I'm not saying it definitely wasn't him but LE obviously have their reasons for ruling him out and have stated this on a pretty consistent basis.

I do know a lot of people thought she could have been a bank robber named Rory Kesinger but DNA ruled her out.

I'm thinking she was probably a tourist from out of state but her killer knew her well enough that she could be connected back to him/her if she was identified.

Does anyone have any links to the original newspaper stories? I'm just trying to piece together what is memory compared to what I learned after the fact.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091106/NEWS/911060325/-1/NEWS01

This case has haunted me for years, here's a new article in the Cape Cod Times today about her, and a renewed effort by local detectives to identify her.

I live in Provincetown, and several months ago was visiting the (then) police chief (since retired) on other business, and saw a huge file box overflowing with notes and evidence on his floor. Wish I could have pored through it, and let him know that, but he sighed and said it was confidential, of course.

So here's hoping that bumping this up will generate some interest and leads from the talented sleuthers here......

I decided to put Maima suggestion here, so y'all can compare! Elizabeth Swann's link: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1667dfuk.html Maima posted this: Here is Elizabeth's info: Missing since early 1974 from Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Vital Statistics

Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5"7".
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long blonde hair worn in a ponytail; blue eyes. Slim build.

Investigators
National Missing Persons Helpline
0500 700 700

Stranger things have happened I suppose!

Side by side of younger LDD sketch and Ms.Swann

Certainly a strong resemblance.

I am tempted to call the retired police chief and ask him if it's possible to get a list of the missing women he has ruled out. I know they've been following up on leads for years and eliminating them. Don't know if Elizabeth Swan was ruled out or if they've even checked her, but I agree there's a definite resemblance. Last I heard, not too long ago, they were checking on a missing FL woman, probably Amy Billig, but haven't heard anything about it. My guess is she was ruled out since they are taking her DNA to DC to get more help.

Several years ago I approached a local reporter at the gym and asked him of he knew anything about The Lady in the Dunes, and he replied, "Funny you should ask.... they're exhuming her body tomorrow". It wasn't public info, but the reporters knew so I showed up the next morning to watch. It was me, my dog, and a bunch of Cape Cod reporters, all of whom I knew. At that time they wanted her DNA because they were sure they had a match (Rory Jean Kesinger), and it was when mitochonrdrial testing had just come about. They had the DNA of RJK's mother. But of course it turned out not to be a match.

One of my friends has a Dune Tour business and he was the one who took a bunch of psychics out to the site for a TV show... said he'd take me out there sometime. Like many locals, I am a bit obsessed with this case from time to time. Just seems amazing that it hasn't been solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back